Thanks a lot for your answers! I need to take a closer look on some of the things that make religions give other bonuses then...

My problem is that there are so many new things (in addition to what IV already had, there's faith, tourism, civic slots, eurekas, city state quests districts etc. etc). I cannot possibly focus on all of them in one game, so I try to find out which of them I can mostly ignore and still get away with a win. Right now, I'm completely ignoring religion, but I have no idea if that will work out well.

Yeah, I hear ya. Been playing almost non-stop since Friday and I've only completed (won) one game so far. As it happens, it was with India and I won with a Religious victory. So far, the hardest thing for me to get used to is the barbarians. You can't just plant an archer in a city for defense any more. You really have to look at the terrain, the choke points, and set up defenses all around.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I've noticed that there is some kind of multiplier making the current era units I can build more expensive (x3). Is there a reason for this?

Could it be unbalanced tech and culture research?

Edit: Actually, its the previous era. I have most techs in medieval, a few culture techs in the medieval, and one tech in the renaissance. Medieval units are costing 3 times the base production.

Last edited:
What's the point of the 'Heal Outside Friendly Territory' promotion for ships if they can simply 'repair' anyway, wherever they are?

What's the point of the 'Heal Outside Friendly Territory' promotion for ships if they can simply 'repair' anyway, wherever they are?

Most ships can't repair or heal outside friendly territory without that promotion. Norway's unique ability allows their melee ships (but not ranged ships) to heal in neutral territory, but that is an exception.

Adjacency bonuses when building districts seem to have different rules for pretty every thing that its adjacent to.

For instance, If I build a Holy Site next to The Dead Sea (in the crinkle on one of the sides), I get +4 bonus for TWO adjacent natural wonder (i.e. the same one, but two separate bonuses, one for each side of the hex connects to the natural wonder, 2+2). If, however, I built a Commercial District in a crinkle in a river, where three sides of my hex connects to the river, I get... +2.

Could this be because adjacency bonuses for each district vary? Holy Site is +1 per relevant district, +2 per natural wonder. Most districts only get +1 per 2 (or even 3) adjacent districts. OTOH, rivers are not hexes, so being next to a river is likely just a yes or no.

Most ships can't repair or heal outside friendly territory without that promotion. Norway's unique ability allows their melee ships (but not ranged ships) to heal in neutral territory, but that is an exception.

I don't have any saves to go back to so I could be wrong (again...!) but I'm pretty sure there was a Rest/Repair action for unpromoted naval units that pretty much did the same thing as the promotion in neutral water...? Again, probably my misunderstanding of something... :)

I would like to build Tokyo's industrial district on the circled tile, but it is not available. I also cannot swap that tile so Tokyo can work it. Why?
Spoiler :
district overlap.png

Have anyone tested...?
Does oracle wonder affects russian lavra and increases generation of writers, artist and musicians ?
Does divine spark pantheon belief affects russian lavra and increases generation of writers...?

> This tile belongs to GIFU city because it is one tile from it, and it can not be worked by TOKYO.
Correct. I figured this out while you were posting.

The tile is owned by Gifu and not Tokyo, but most tiles can be swapped. Swapping changes ownership and allows other cities to place districts or workers there.
Spoiler :
tile ownership.png

I found this tooltip which explains the exceptional circumstance here: I am trying to swap a tile adjacent to another city. These tiles cannot be swapped.
Spoiler :
tile restrictions.png

Have anyone tested...?
Does oracle wonder affects russian lavra and increases generation of writers, artist and musicians ?
Does divine spark pantheon belief affects russian lavra and increases generation of writers...?

Haven't tested either circumstance, but if you do test them yourself, please report back with the results.

Unless you're Norway, ships normally can't heal outside of friendly water.

Is there any way to get access to strategic resources owned by City-States?
I don't see any way, so I'm guessing not. Other than conquering them, of course.

This makes things very interesting if you lack a particular resource. You can't just get in good with a city-state any more. Have to either find it somewhere unclaimed and build a city, trade for it, or conquer someone.

You need to generate another apostle and burn him starting an inquisition (separate button on the top row of his action window). That unlocks your ability to buy inquisitors in any city with a temple (and your religion, of course).

I may be missing something, but when I created apostle he did not had any option exempt spreading religion.

So how do I get inquisitors?

Note that my civ is religious convert, no religion was found.

Is it possible to influence which tile gets expanded to next when my city's borders grow? I want to get a particular strategic resource asap. I think might have been possible in Civ V...

If I conquer a holy city for a religion and eradicated the founder civ, can I further enhance that religion with an apostle?

I've created an apostle and even used missionaries to convert my capitol but not seeing the evangelize button. Is there some civic or tech that is needed?

Couldn't find anything about it anywhere but it seems like Scouts that you receive from tribal villages don't gain experience.
Not sure if it's a bug or it's meant to be that way.

I was given a scout very early in my current game and after about 25 turns of exploring I just noticed that it doesn't have the XP bar at the bottom of the unit panel.

Anyone else noticed that ?

EDIT: Turns out, the XP bar appeared once I gained XP from attacking a barbarian unit BUT it only had experience from that combat and no XP from the earlier scouting

Last edited:
What are you supposed to do with the Great People (writers, musicians, artists) that spawn more quickly than you can build places to their works?

Top Bottom