The Community Deity Game #22 - a.k.a. 'The Mayan King'

I just can't get over how bad Civ 6 looks and how much they want to charge for it. They were so negligent about problems in Civ 5 that I feel they owe US, not the other way around. If it was $20 I might buy it and give it a go, but not $80.

Well, i won't try to persuade you to buy it, but as far as the look is concerned, i used to hate it too, but after watching some streams i think it's actually quite good. At least it doesn't look generic, the map is actually nice, and the caricatural leaderheads, well, they might be my least favorite feature but i can definitely live with them and at least they remind us what Civ is : a serious strategy game that doesn't takes itself too seriously :)

Of course, you're the reasonable guy, you'll get a more polished game cheaper than myself in a year or two. Well, i rarely buy brand new games so i can make an exception from time to time and if i play Civ6 as much as CiV, it'll be cheaper per hours played than many games i bought for less than $10 anyway.

I think they must have hired a bunch of art designers from blizzard, the entire art style screams Hearthstone, WOW, and HOTS. I'm also going to be waiting for either the time or the price to go down. Whichever comes first. I've played II, IV, and V and only mastered V somewhat. Far better than I have with II and IV. I will be getting VI eventually and I am sure an old school graphics mod will be out within the year. Until then, we have some more maps to make.

Moderator Action: Please, Civ 6 and its art style are wildly off-topic for this thread. Feel free to take that discussion to the Civ 6 forums.

Won this one on t225 after the classic artillery sweep starting around t180.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 280
Bah. I was wayyyyy to slow on science (forgot to get the Trading Post science policy for wayyyyyy too long so all my Puppets full of TP weren't really contributing research :wallbash: ) and finally won T305, the exact same turn i got Nuclear Fusion. So much for my Giant Death Robots:gripe:
Spoiler :
That was an interesting map once i managed to avoid the Monty rush. Shaka Grew very big early and it took some time to get through. All the while i was friend with Gustavus to get a few more GP and some Research Agreements (he went Autocracy like me) so i didn't really try to put him in trouble and he used this to grow very big too, taking most of China, Venice and what was left of Attila. In the end, it was one big fight between us. He had slightly more techs than i had but went top of the tree while i went Stealth Bombers. Nothing can stop those.
Fun fact, Napoleon have been my friend for most of the game. I attacked him the turn our DoF ended and made peace after taking Paris. He asked to renew our DoF the very next turn. First time ever this happens. Diplomacy was all green except for "You captured their original capital" so i guess it's actually possible to compensate even this one. Or maybe it was a glitch for renewing the DoF at the first available opportunity.

Yeah I've had that glitch before. Also, the turn you make peace, they will do all kinds of cool trades before they denounce you the next turn, even if a DoF is not offered.

Finally beat it. Took me 9 tries, but I vowed not to buy Civ 6 til I was able to get through this one. Science victory turn 315. Not really an impressive time, but I don't beat diety very often, so happy with it. Got very lucky as I was a turn or 2 away from losing my capital when I hit the social policy for the 6 free foreign legions. Saved my butt big time. Bulbed 2 scientists at the end to get the last tech to buy the final part I needed, and launched 3 turns before Napoleon would have won cultural. I'd love to see how you guys manage to beat this so easy. The early aggression throws me off so much. I don't know how to keep up in techs and growth when I have to build non stop units and walls.

DomV on t282
Spoiler :
Opened Liberty left, 4 cities, and tried to rush eastern neighbor with CBs... FAIL... :shake:
He was spamming too many units already. After losing 2 spearmen to him, I decided go back a bit, dropped a citadel, and started worker-baiting, to farm XP and grind him slowly, while I built up.

My early techpath was (roughly): Construction > Philosophy > Engineering > Education > Machinery

As of social policies, I used a strategy of mine, going Liberty left, Honor up to MIlitary caste, and only then, finishing liberty in the early renaissance to get the great engineer/scientist around Printing Press time.
I use this in many games to be able to get a natural golden age and generate a (cheaper) GS from the university before finishing Liberty (through Representation).
Yeah... I forgot about Mayans UA...:shake:
This made this strategy somewhat useless...

I got one GS and one GE from the UA, used the GS to rush Printing Press, the GE to rush LToP, getting another GS.
Got another GS from liberty finisher an used the 2 of them to rush Banking and Economics, and finally, Oxford (prebuilt) for Industrialization at the early 130's.
Kinda early, but... I lacked the money to rush buy the 3 factories... :shake:
I got the 3 factories up around the early 140s, by selling my GPT, but then... no money for the Gatlin gun upgrades... :shake:

It was taking long to beat Attila, and I realized Shaka (Liberty variant) was WAAAAY too strong, so decided to go Freedom, to build tall, get strong science to beat him later.
After I finally got the Hunnic capital (I needed Gatlings to do so), I convinced the Zulus to fight (literally) everyone else, and declared war on him myself.

I managed to take a few Zulu cities, while they were busy fighting other AIs.
Eventually things got ugly again, I lost one Range+Logistics Gatlings to cavalry, and once again, I backed down, droped a Citadel and started worker baiting again.
I had to wait for Landships to break the stalemate.

It was only by the 250s that I made peace with Shaka, after taking his capital, the Chinese capital he captured earlier, and liberating some city states and China (that got reduced to a city state as well...).
After Him, I just split the army in 2, one to take Monty + France, and another to take Sweden and Venice, and just rolled over them with tanks.

So, pretty sloppy, late, but done!

I played this game SV on turn 292.

Spoiler spoiler :

I went for the settling on the hill + truffles (on turn 3) for an absolute beast of a capital. This capital is much stronger than what I usually get from the map generator. I was very lucky with the goody huts: I received faith+culture+1 pop+2/3 techs+2 unit upgrades + some money...that is probably a record. With the faith I picked the sun god pantheon. I stole two workers from Attila, and did some pillaging with my spearman, and made peace again some turns later (I wonder why he was so hateful the test of the game ;-) ). Usually that slows AI's down, not Attila, 20-30 turns after that he attacked me anyway with a pretty big army. That could have been lethal, had it not been that he decided to attack two cities at the same time and it is not very clever to get into crossfire by oligarchy-cities (I went tradition btw) manned by CBs...anyway, repelled. Meanwhile Montezuma was also building up his army and threatening, but I bribed him to dow Shaka (for truffles + open border, he's so cheap ;-) ). Meanwhile, I got the oracle (no particular idea behind it, I took because I could). When I founded my religion there was not much left so I picked religious community, a 10-15% production bonus is nothing to snuff about.

Midgame I focused on growing, tech (the usual turtle things), I used the GE from the long count on the forbidden castle. Occasionally I bribed Montezuma when his army was gathering on my border (across the game that happened about 4-5 times!). Shaka was a bit too expensive to bribe in my game (and not needed anyway, he was too far away), and Attila was only after me. I managed to skive two of his attacks by calling in Montezuma. He did attack a second time and failed miserably. I do always pick defendable city spots, and I especially liked that bit of swamp on the truffle beneath the mountain in halfway between my and Attila’s capital (one of my cities is two tiles west from it). Basically a free great wall and Himeji castle for that tile, a lot units died there ;-).

I was third to ideology (turn 187) and first (and only) to take freedom. At this stage, given the tech lead and that beast of a capital I pretty sure I could sweep for a domination. I did that my last two games I played, so I was somewhat aiming for a peaceful space victory and I hardly ever go wonder hugging. Instead I build Eiffel tower, Broadway, and the statue of lib (each in about 8-9 turns). Ideological pressure was low as a result of these wonders, saving having to build museums and archeologist. From turn 220 onwards it got a bit grim as I got sort of dogpiled (everybody is autocracy expect me, so that was to be expected). Then again, fighting with infantry against riflemen and later ww1 infantry is quite manageable so there was never real danger, but it does mean I need to pour more resources in military (in the screenshot you see a lot of infantry lounging around, they were all needed!). Anyway, made peace again around turn 270, by that time Shake had eaten up Montezuma (who had become a rather easy target by this time). I bulbed my gs’s, got nanotech with the ratio finished, and build oxford for particle physics. Because I was preoccupied with the war I started the whole late game tech jump to late and actually had 3 gs left! That could have shaved off about 10 turns…but I am not really bothered with that.

Pointswise (according to the thread)

53 million population -> 1

4 cities -> 1

Turns 292 -> 1

8 wonders -> 2

No caps captured

GP improvements I don't understand. As I overshot my science, I have 3gs left at the end of the game that I could have planted those on the last turn which would then be 9 points (?). Somehow this does not feel like an achievement to awarded.

Last edited:
As mentioned I started this as a more conventional example of TD though the civ is on the better side but apparently I picked a wrong game. First ~25 turns were fine, even good due to 2 early culture ruins but since nothing seems to go as planned and the selection of CS quests will provide research material for generations to come.

SiP, 5 city Liberty, early DoW with Attila and all sorts of ¥€¥®©¤§¢¥$ since then.
T147 Industrial after Venice, one cap taken, 2 ongoing wars, razed half a dozen cities but new are popping everywhere, gpt is descent but I'm also paying ef tons of gpt to keep Shaka & Monte in all sorts of wars, 2 DoFs, not enough hammers for anything but happiness is atm decent.

T27 Pantheon Sun God, T65 2nd religion Tithe/Pagodas, T77 Liberty GS planted, T78 Theology, T86 LC1 GS planted, T96 NC, T99 Machinery, T101 LC2 GAdm, T104 Education, T111 enhanced, T115 Attila's Court, T116 DoF Nappy, T117 LC3 GE for LToP.

Happiness issues early as I only managed one camp clearing for Antwerp. The freakin' CSs either offered no quests or wanted Admirals, GMs or luxes nobody had and later on some wanted a NW which there apparently is a single one in the map - @T180 there hasn't been a single TR request for example.
Lost Pyramids to Nappy and Oracle to Monte who also build HS, started a religion and few turns later there was a Prophet converting my western cities while Chinese religion was dominating the East. I barely got 4 Pagodas but Tithe is giving next to nothing.
First DoF offer came T116 and I've mainly starting wars between Monte-Shaka-Nappy which aren't going anywhere but at least they aren't attacking me, yet. Attila front wasn't advancing very fast but at least it's some xp for the future. Had to DoW Venice not to take CSs and I was planning to attack Sweden to secure the West and get GW but he offered DoF so I DoWed China instead to stop the missionary spam. Took 2 cities but my CS ally took the one I needed so that went sour. Capped Ur from Venice but Venice is in almost impossible location for XBows so that's still his.

Last edited:
T280 TD and looking back the map settings 'low sea lvl' really is something that should be avoided with TD ;) but who cares while having fun. It become a late sweep as my deals with France & Sweden ended T260 at which point Nappy had 22 cities and Gustavus 19. Enrico & Wu were also still hanging around with one city - Gustavus took Venice out and a CS took China. I think in total I got CSs to take out 8 cities which helped with the non-existent problem of happiness. In the the latter stages I few times dipped into single digit happiness but had I avoided selling buildings that gave happiness I could've stayed over +10 the whole time. The max number of simultaneous burning cities was 9.

points: 18 1/4 but that wasn't really any sort of priority here

1) 4 pts for 5+20 cities
2) 2 pts for 65.8 mil
3) 2 pts for T280 dom
4) 5 pts for 9 build & 30 captured
5) 5 1/4 for 1 pre Ren & 5 for Modern onwards. Venice was capped on Industrial so no points.

Spoiler pics along the way :

Last edited:
Top Bottom