Can't change resolution

thedberg

Chieftain
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad with Win 10, i7-5500U, Intel HD Graphics 5500, default resolution 2560X1440.

This resolution is far too high for Civ VI - UI elements are tiny - so I need to lower it. But when trying different resulutions in graphic options in Civ VI the zooming is all messed up. The mouse movements don't correspond to the UI elements so it's impossible to hit the right spot to say "Yes" to the dialogue for keeping the new resolution.

I have tried different zoom levels in Windows, including the the 200% that is default and 100% (and some in between). I have done restarts of my computer.

All Windows updates are applied.

So now I'm stuck. Can't play Civ VI because I have no way to set a reasonable resolution. What should I do?

If you go to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI

in the folder there is a text file called appoptions.txt
open the file and find where it says

;Render width in pixels.
RenderWidth 2560

;Render height in pixels.
RenderHeight 1440

and change to your prefered resoultion save and restart your game it should load in the resolution you have selected

Thanks! Will try that!

In the mean while: You're saying that the game will understand the resolution change better than the options dialogue?

Thanks! Will try that!

In the mean while: You're saying that the game will understand the resolution change better than the options dialogue?

the problem you are having is when you change in the options the ui is getting screwy and thats making you unable to confirm the changes. If you force the game to start in the resolution of your choice the UI should work fine

Hmm.... not working well. I have set the following:
RenderWidth 1600
RenderHeight 900
FullScreen 1

In the start screen
It still starts windowed, but with 1600X900 px in the window, meaning tiny UI.
Trying to set fullscreen or other graphic options exhibit the same behavior as described in the first post.

In-game
Mouse clicks mostly cause the game to switch between fullscreen and windowed. But sometimes when in windowed mode mouse clicks actually performs correct actions.

I have tried
Setting MouseGrab to 1.
Different Windows zoom factors.

Whatever I do, Civ i still unplayable. Thankful for any further ideas. I have played every Civ game since Civ III so I'm really longing to get my hands on this :)

Umm that sounds weird. Might be best to strip all the local files and redownload from steam see if that helps.

Umm that sounds weird. Might be best to strip all the local files and redownload from steam see if that helps.
Thanks again for trying. Maybe I'll do that. But first I'll see if I'll get any response from 2ksupport.

So here is the answer from 2K support. I tried the suggested settings but it behaves the same way. Seems like a lost cause - hi res wide screen can't be resized.
Thank you for contacting 2K Support.

Unfortunately we currently have no information regarding on Ultra-Wide Screen resolutions in Civilization VI. I am deeply sorry that I could not help you further. Though on a side note, have you tried 1920 x 1080 windowed or full screen mode? Let me know if that one works.

For the latest information I would suggest checking out our Twitter @2K for game news and our blog for the latest information about 2k product.

I also have a 2560x1440 monitor and suffer from the same thing.

The obvious solution is for them to provide UI scaling at this resolution. It is currently only available for higher resolutions apparently.

So the best thing to do ATM is report, complain and suggest. Hopefully, they realize the need.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad with Win 10, i7-5500U, Intel HD Graphics 5500, default resolution 2560X1440.

This resolution is far too high for Civ VI - UI elements are tiny - so I need to lower it. But when trying different resulutions in graphic options in Civ VI the zooming is all messed up. The mouse movements don't correspond to the UI elements so it's impossible to hit the right spot to say "Yes" to the dialogue for keeping the new resolution.

I have tried different zoom levels in Windows, including the the 200% that is default and 100% (and some in between). I have done restarts of my computer.

All Windows updates are applied.

So now I'm stuck. Can't play Civ VI because I have no way to set a reasonable resolution. What should I do?

Have you tried this below? UI Upscaling. I run on a small 13" screen at 3200x1800 and the UI was super tiny. This solved the issue. I put it at 200%.
upload_2017-3-9_17-24-35.png

Yeah, i have the same problem. I play on my Surface Book with a resolution of 3000x2000. such high resolutions are heavy duty to render if you don't have a powerhouse of a graphics card and i'd like to reduce that to 1500x1000 for better performance (quarter of what it was before but same aspect ratio). In the game, the option to change resolution is disabled and if i do it in the AppOptions.txt file (as suggested before), i just get a borderless window that doesn't use the available screen space very well :mischief: if i choose fullscreen i can't klick accept (don't know why...) and it changes back to windowed after 15 seconds or so.
so sad. need help. thanks.

I have the exact same scenario, finally, I found someone who knows what I'm going through. I'm surprised I found someone who wants to also change it to 1500x1000, just like me!

Top Bottom