Your favorite tile (when starting a new game)

It's..

• River Corn

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • River Gems (grassland)

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Stone Plains Hill (3h city tile)

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Marble Plains Hill

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Ivory

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Something different

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
Stone plains hill has got to be the best. One underrated advantage of a 3h city square is if your food is crappy you can just go settler from pop 1 after the worker and get it reasonably fast while you wait for your worker to improve your mediocre food tiles.

like, take this start:

1: settle on stone hill
11: worker
16: worker improves a plains deer or a dry wheat or something.
23: worker farms a flood plains or something.
25: first settler is done.
31: grow to size 2.
35: grow to size 3.

Compare it to an ordinary wet corn start:

0: settle in place
15: worker
19: improve the wet corn.
21: grow to size 2
24: mine or something
25: grow to size 3
29: another mine
35: first settler is done.

so both starts have 2 cities with a pop 3 cap by turn 35, but the stone start got their settler out ten turns sooner and has a lot more hammers which could have gone into warriors for fogbusting or maybe a granary, plus extra worker turns from the worker coming sooner. Plus, wonders. I think stone plains hill wins out easily as the better tile.

Nice comparison! Of course, there's also a game after the initial 35 turns, and growing a city fast as opposed to some extra hammers but slow growth is important there. But you make a good point.

Now how about this ordinary wet corn start?

15: worker
29: grow to size 4 and revolt to Slavery
35: 2-pop whip out a Settler

Not so much better at first sight but allows to get out 1-2 early Warriors for fogbusting first, which can be crucial. Plus you can whip out things later as well. Note that in your first example you have a very early Settler but only one Warrior (unless you start with a Scout, even worse) so you have to get it to your new city first and won't do any fogbusting or exploring with it.

Mine is forested plains deer. Not because I'm looking forward to it, but because it keeps catching me by pleasant surprise. (why is my worker building in 12 turns? Oh, right, deer, nice!)

I would say Ivory for the lulz of an early ElePult rush pumped by Slavery. But if I'm going for a peace build, River and Corn is the nuts for growth and fast worker prod.

3H Stone/Marble + coast Fish (FIN leader) always give me big big fun because of very fast 2nd city :)
=> The ultimate productive start I can think of. WB in 5T while working forest PH. Then another 8T later your worker improves tiles ahead of city growth instead of afterwards. And all along you nibble 3c/turn for a nice tech boost.

I voted river/gems.

Gems (or gold) always catches my eyes first. That's just my nature. A decent tech rate through ancient era is instantly secured. I don't like the burden of getting cottages very early. Also, working cottages hurts your expansion.
(of course you do not necessarily need to have the gold/gems in your cap)

Plains Hill Stone to settle on is my vote. It can help REX a few cities and they can get early fail wealth (gold) by building both Stonehenge and The Great Wall, cycling through each city as it has hammer overflow or forest chops to apply. Really helps to keep the research slider at 100% in the early game. The extra 2 Hpt (requiring no citizen or free engineer or free priest with Angkor Wat) continue to help throughout the game too.

Top Bottom