[VidLP] Let's play as Victoria of England (Island start & Immortal difficulty)

Veneke

King
The start has us isolated on a moderately sized island with little fresh water but some decent terrain and limited barbarians. We'll be looking to expand out of our island in the future, but for the moment it's more than suitable for our needs.

Just a quick health warning: this is not a tutorial series. I do talk about the changes to the mechanics etc from time to time but I don't go through them in detail.

We're going to want to put a second city somewhere on the island, and there's an obvious place for it to go in the north. So, we go there. They complain about the lack of fresh water a bit. Some people will find any excuse to complain. :D

Thanks for that God of Kings! I do tend to forget to post about the latest episodes from time to time. :)

Speaking of which, here's part 4. We find an absolutely perfect settlement spot for our third city. It's on a different continent too and everything.

Gosh, talk about second guessing yourself. Really don't know why you didn't settle in the spot you said was 'one of the best ever'. And why not Lighthouse->Great Lighthouse in London?

Really enjoying it though. Your upbeat Irish is very easy on the ears.

GoK man, you're a lifesaver. Cheers!

@manu-fan:

Yeah. Second guessing decisions is kinda how I roll. XD As for the spot though, I think the sheep works out better. We'll have more land than water tiles, and in the medium-long term that'll be better for the city. The only real disadvantage is that the harbour district will have to be built in Leeds, but that's not the worst thing in the world given that we want a harbour district out there anyway.

As for the Great Lighthouse, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to build it before the AI so never seriously considered it as an option.

Great job with the Envoys and getting the Great Library.

I didn't see the Great Lighthouse get built by anyone else. Did I miss it?

Why so averse to settle on the West of your Island? You could have done that ages ago. Yes, no fresh water, but it would have salt water and still been in a good spot.

From what I recall the Great Lighthouse is built over the next few episodes. Russia gets it, I think. Honestly I had presumed that the AI would prioritize it and that I wouldn't have a chance of getting it given how likely it was that other Civs would have a start where it could be built. I never really revisited that presumption and missed out on it because of it. Which is unfortunate really because the one useful thing you can do with water tiles is put wonders out on them with basically no loss.

Failing to settle the west of the island can be attributed entirely to a Civ 5 mindset. I should have gone for 3-4 cities much, much earlier than I have and given the changes in mechanics there's no excuse not to do exactly that even if the terrain isn't fantastic. If I was doing it over I'd have settled 3 cities on the main island and a fourth in that small tundra island to the far west, with Leeds being a fifth city.

Thanks GoK! :)

Really enjoying this. can't wait to see what happens when you start pumping out Redcoats. Think you could have founded a couple more Cities (taking the Jade, then another on your Island, and probably another up North West of where you are). More cities == more science etc.

@manu-fan: Yeah. I think I mention this in later episodes but I came into this with such a Civ 5 mindset that I delayed settling cities for far too long. Next time around there'll be more cities much earlier.

And thanks again GoK. I'm going to try and beat you to today's episode! XD

Top Bottom