Starting Location Blues

Woobyluv

Chieftain
I'm wondering if folks are getting slammed with crappy starting locations seemingly no matter how many times the game is restarted. I've been trying to start up a game, but I've noticed that if I don't start on a tile with hills, river, and woods, I fall behind very fast. It just takes too long to produce anything.

Game Settings...
Game Speed Marathon, Standard Map, Abundant Resources, Legendary Starting Positions.

I haven't done legendary starts or abundant resources. But yes, I've had many resets of constant bad starts. Like, no mountain in sight. Not a single hill. No luxuries within 3 tiles.. I mean, what?!
Those starts on normal speed takes 10 turns to make a scout, and 12 turns to grow to pop 2.
Literally no point in even trying while on emperor.

But then eventually I'll have a start with river, mountains, sea a few tiles away, SPICE (by far the most OP luxury), and loads of bonus resources.

Spice and gems are by far the best luxuries. With citrus and chocolate close behind

So I think I figured out the issue but I cant prove it right now, I think the game still uses CiV start bias, because I seem to always be getting these super high food starts, which are useless in this game.

edit: I say this because I tried legendary starts even and every game it was giving me these super high food river starts, like that was what the game perceived as "legendary".

Could it be that some of those bad starts gave you strategic resources that were hidden, and they ate up too much of your resource budget leaving you with a bad start?

Could it be that some of those bad starts gave you strategic resources that were hidden, and they ate up too much of your resource budget leaving you with a bad start?

I tested this in a game in CiV a while back. Earth map, it put me in the awkward and terrible spot in between Alaska and America. Nothing but tundra hills and tundra forest. No rivers. No luxuries. I thought I MUST have at least loads of resources later. A nice supply of iron, coal, uranium or aluminium. I played until late game, just because I was so intent on the game throwing me a bone. Literally nothing. My capital had NOTHING except 2 horses (on 1 tile). I've never seen anything like it. Abysmal

I'm willing to concede that this may be a possibility, but if you start off with crappy production from the start, it's just crap. On marathon, a Scout takes 16 turns when on hills/forest, 22 turns just hills, and longer without either. This is a recipe for falling way behind fast. This assumes your worker can be placed on a production tile in addition to the city tile.

Tangent, anyone annoyed that the game doesn't remember your last game start map settings (time duration, land type, etc)? I mean, bad enough not having a reset button, but having to change everything every time... bleh.

Tangent, anyone annoyed that the game doesn't remember your last game start map settings (time duration, land type, etc)? I mean, bad enough not having a reset button, but having to change everything every time... bleh.
I'm with you on this. Very aggravating, especially when you have to restart repeatedly.

It's been like this in every new Civ release that I've seen (since Civ III). A true classic never gets old... :rolleyes: I even distinctly remember the devs stating that we could reroll a start MANY turns into the game (I've always wanted this option, as I often wander around a little bit before abandoning a seemingly bad start)... Yet we get NOTHING instead. :mad: This was just a rushed release, with so many features broken or outright missing. :sad:

The bad starts are worst with the naval Civs (Japan, Norway, England), because you'll always spawn near the coast, which means half your tiles will be useless. I had to restart like 20 times to finally get a good start as Victoria. Then ofc Tomyris spawns 15 tiles away, and France literally at my doorstep. :mad: I'm still playing the start, because I dread to think what it would take to find another reasonable one... In a way multiplayer is a blessing, because you have to play the start you get no matter what (unless you're a quitter, in which case shame on you :nono:).

I think setting "Starting Location" on "Balanced" helps a lot. Not sure exactly what it does, though. In CiV you get guaranteed horses and iron, but I am pretty sure I didn't get iron last time I set it on Balanced.

Still beats multiple restarts. Especially with the bad ocean and some civ's starting bias towards it.

I think setting "Starting Location" on "Balanced" helps a lot. Not sure exactly what it does, though. In CiV you get guaranteed horses and iron, but I am pretty sure I didn't get iron last time I set it on Balanced.

Still beats multiple restarts. Especially with the bad ocean and some civ's starting bias towards it.
I'll start trying that and see if it improves. Ironic though, supposed to be great starting locations with that Legendary tab, but ends up being crap.

Otherwise known as Canada...

Canada is a huge country. I am talking about a very specific part of it. For someone who doesn't know Canada's geography very well it's much easier to say what I did. But fine, for your benefit alone.. British Columbia. Or do you want a specific address there?

I'm really beginning to not like this game because I can't find a decent starting position. Been trying for hours to get something playable. Find something almost good, give it a try for 100 turns and get overwhelmed due to lack of production in the starting location. Just can't keep up with AI unit spam and build infrastructure...

I'm wondering if folks are getting slammed with crappy starting locations seemingly no matter how many times the game is restarted. I've been trying to start up a game, but I've noticed that if I don't start on a tile with hills, river, and woods, I fall behind very fast. It just takes too long to produce anything.

Game Settings...
Game Speed Marathon, Standard Map, Abundant Resources, Legendary Starting Positions.

I did exact same thing as england. a few sea resources and about 6 land tiles for the entire island i was on.

6 starts in a row with Peter. Not a single tundra tile in sight.

Top Bottom