Civ3 discs, new Win10 box, no cd drive

tjuringa

Chieftain
I've upgraded (well, my dear employer has upgraded) my computer to a new Win10 machine. Of course, they didn't think to include a disk drive in the upgrade. I've got a fully paidup copy of Civ3 discs, and access to an old XP machine with a disc drive. I was wondering if it was possible to copy the discs to a thumb drive on the old XP machine, then install to the new Win10 machine. I would probably also need a patch for no-disc play on the new machine.
I know I could repurchase a version from Steam, but i don't reckon i should have to pay twice. I know its only A$8 or so, but it's the principle. And i don't like being forced to join an online community, and auto updates, and the whole online thing. And my employer's firewall might have something to say about it too.
Any help or suggestions most appreciated.
T

Yes ive done that before for a few games, including civ3, though I still used a disc afterwards, but No-CD should be fine. I only had the problem, because the computer didnt like discs for a long period of time in the drive so i couldnt complete the installation, but just for startup it was okay.

presumably I need an iso image of the disks on the drive? And any idea where i get a no disk patch?

presumably I need an iso image of the disks on the drive? And any idea where i get a no disk patch?

well, ive had success just copying the files on the CD and running the setup in a folder on its own for most games. But you can try that as well. As far as a No-CD patch, I assume the Antal patched exes, No Raze Patch, No City limit Patch available for download here on civfanatics should work. There are some normal No-CD exes out there you could probably search for, but you have to make sure its from a trusted source.

I'm looking for a noCD patch as well because my drive is failing sometimes. I remember having it a few years ago for my other computer, but now I cannot find the correct one for the latest version.

I'm looking for a noCD patch as well because my drive is failing sometimes. I remember having it a few years ago for my other computer, but now I cannot find the correct one for the latest version.
The 'official' NoCD patches are available from the PCGames site, linked in the first option listed in the first post of this thread. The rest of that thread is also recommended reading for anyone who's (now) having difficulty running Civ3 in Win10...

Guess you'd need to extract the CD contents to an image file in your old computer and then use a utility, of the many available (something like PowerIso or isotousb.com I guess) to copy that Image file to an USB so that you can then use that USB as a bootable device on your Win 10 PC, just as if it were a CD).

Did some comments get deleted?

What I was saying was; if you look for a no-cd patch you will run into a 1.22 version that looks like a conquest expansion, my question was - would this still be 1.22 complete?

And I was actually wondering how to recognise the Civ3 complete patch because it's been about 10 years since I bought it.

Conquests 1.22 and Complete 1.22 are the same game. The only differences are the main menu graphics, and that Complete ships with extra scenarios. Well, and I suppose Complete comes pre-patched. But if you have a 1.22 Conquests game and 1.22 Complete game, you can swap playing one for the other and it will play the same.

The only sorta-exception is the Steam Complete patch for multiplayer from 2015; that removes GameSpy and Direct IP, and adds SteamWorks multiplayer. I've heard there may be a couple other side effect bugs, but essentially it's still the same.

I download the 1.22 patch from the CFC Downloads Database. The full patch, which will take you from 1.00 to 1.22, should be 24,882 KB. This does still require the CD in the drive, however. True, it'd be nice if they did like Halo PC and released an official no-CD 1.23 patch after all these years, but I'm not holding my breath.

If anyone needs a Steam copy and can't get one themselves for whatever reason, let me know and I'll toss one your way the next time there's a big sale. It's $1.24 on sale which is insanely good value for the money, and I've played way more than 124 hours of Civ3 so I don't mind giving Firaxis another few Washingtons for the game that's still the best value-per-dollar I've ever bought, even considering my income was near-zero back when I bought it.

If you're philosophically opposed to Steam, alas, it doesn't seem the Gamersgate version is sold anymore, so I can't help with that (though maybe Civ3 will come to GOG someday? They really ought to release the old versions, some of Sid's older games have done well there). And if the problem is Steam isn't great for a work PC, well, it's probably a good thing I've never tried to play Civ at work, because I don't think that would end very well for my career :).

if you look for a no-cd patch you will run into a 1.22 version that looks like a conquest expansion, my question was - would this still be 1.22 complete?

And I was actually wondering how to recognise the Civ3 complete patch because it's been about 10 years since I bought it.
As @Quintillus said the fully patched C3C 1.22 and Complete (it's already fully patched) .exe's are pretty much interchangeable so it makes no difference which you use - they both open to the Conquests expansion.
True, it'd be nice if they did like Halo PC and released an official no-CD 1.23 patch after all these years, but I'm not holding my breath.
There are "Official" Vanilla & C3C no-CD patches available here from the German PCGames website. Instructions for installation are here. It looks like @tjs282 & @Vuldacon already mentioned it and the link to my thread.
alas, it doesn't seem the Gamersgate version is sold anymore
You can't purchase it anymore, but I can still d/l a copy from my account there. Unfortunately, several months before it got pulled from GG's library they updated it to require the Steam client to run, so essentially it was the same as if you bought it directly from Steam. :cry:

Top Bottom