Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

2K Greg

<span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un
Hey guys, I thought this might be relevant to your interests:

This 2K Blog post has the details and a bunch of screenshots.

Full text reproduced here:

Fans of Civilization V have been begging me for an answer to this question for quite some time: will Civilization V get an expansion pack?

Today I am extremely excited to tell you all that yes, it will! Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods & Kings is currently slated for a late Spring 2012 release.

It will come as no surprise to those of you who are familar with expansion packs for previous Civilization games that Gods & Kings will add more techs, units, buildings, Wonders, and playable Civilizations. But what about the big brand new game elements that will change the way you conquer the world? Let me lay it out for you:

• Tons of New Stuff. I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).
  • Religion. That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.
  • Reworked Combat System. The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.
  • Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage. In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveilling foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.
  • New City-States. With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.
  • New Scenarios. Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the fall of Rome, explore the medieval era, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.

Post here to let me know what you think!

Great news! The customisable religions particularly intrigues me. I don't suppose there's any chance you're allowed to go into greater detail at this point?

EDIT: Is that a modern era ranged unit I see in the screenshots...

Brilliant news! - thanks 2KGreg :)
Quickly looking at the new features, it looks like it'll do to civ 5 what BTS did for civ 4.
Wow. Everything sounds great! I'm glad they seem to have taken their time to do it right!

Great news! The customisable religions particularly intrigues me. I don't suppose there's any chance you're allowed to go into greater detail at this point?

EDIT: Is that a modern era ranged unit I see in the screenshots...

I suggest taking a very close look at the screenshots in the article for your religion question. A picture speaks louder than words after all! ;)

As for your second question: :mischief:

Wonderful stuff :goodjob:

looks good

EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodjob::band::beer::thanx::high5::trophy:

Honestly thought DLC was all we were going to get. Not only is this a expansion but sounds like a small evolution too

awesome!!!, thanks for the news... the "enhanced diplomacy" means only the spy system, or also the entire system will be fixed?, for me it is still annoying how easy one falls in disgrace with the AI...

Resolution isn't that great but when zoomed in I can make out founder belief, follower belief, follower belief 2, enhancer belief and bonus belief and a list of SP-like effects. From this I deduce that at certain points (presumably linked to these 'faith points') they can be used to increase the benefits gained from the religion.
As for espionage, I see the words establishing surveillance, counter intelligence and rigging elections:cool:

EDIT: I also notice bonus belief says "Byzantines only", add another new civ to the list.

Wow. Just wow... this could potentially be Civ V's Beyond the Sword moment. This has a huge amount of promise and I absolutely cannot wait till I can play it (not that I will be able to until I replace my Jurassic era computer, but I can still dream :p)

The moment I noticed the logo I was "wait a sec?"

And then I literally was going "yeyeyeyeyeyeyeey" like a little girl in a candy store (despite being a 17 yeear old man) I AM SO HAPPY :D I can't wait!!

The moment I saw the religion i was super happy!

Espionage! FINALYL! Well, I still want my Apostolic palace! NNINE NEW CIV! Is what really made me happy! I was sure we would be getting less Civ

And you know what is the besT? SPRING 2012 RELEASe1 OM GOMG OMG OGM I WANT IT WANT IT

:D SO friggin happy :D

This is the best news i got for a long time :) Thanks. Will there be any more patches till the release of expansion.
will there be new leaders to existing civilizations?

Is there a chance to pre-order already?

And another question:
Does it include already released DLC?
Because I thnk some people have held off DLC in the hope it'd be released with the expansion pack.

Is there a chance to pre-order already?

And another question:
Does it include already released DLC?
Because I thnk some people have held off DLC in the hope it'd be released with the expansion pack.

Seems unlikely but I wouldn't be suprised if there's a steam special with all DLC and the expansion in the same bundle.

Top Bottom