Another WW2 scenario

rhettrongun

Prince
Status of mod as of 06/27/2015:
Still non-functional. It's progressing about as well as expected though. At current rate, I estimate having a playable scenario again sometime in late July or early August.

Status of mod as of 06/16/2015:
It's currently non-functional. It last worked in either late 2012 or early 2013. Since then, Civ has been updated many times and had the BNW expansion implemented. I'll be working to try to get it functional again. My hope is that with the updates to Civ has come enhanced stability and more freedom for modding (ie. not constantly having to work around roadblocks).

----Version 19 (15/12)----
NOTE: The new Paratrooper animations won't work unless you update your common folder with the animation pack from version 15/12. So, it has to be done again.
OVERALL CHANGES
-Adjusted AI behavior. I found quite a few remaining problems with the AI that are hopefully corrected.
-Removed Mod ID check. So, it's possible to play alongside other mods again.
-Added Danrell's Paratrooper unit graphics
-Added some variation to some of the infantry squads
-Rifleman is back to being upgradeable to infantry
-Standardized unit flag designations. So, all light tanks have a specific flag, med tanks have their own, etc... This makes it easier to spot what type of unit you are viewing on the map.
-Added strategy texts for wwII units that were missing them
-Sped up all air attack animations to help move the game along
-Increased France's starting army
-Fixed UK's starting tech

UNIT REBALANCES
-Tank Destroyers have 40% penalty vs cities
-Light TDs have 25% penalty vs cities
-All tanks now have 25% penalty vs cities
-Armored AA units have 40% penalty vs cities
-Halftrack (gun) AA units have no penalty vs cities, and can move after attacking.
-Swapped out the SS unique for Fallshirmjager. It doesn't have "explore rival territory", but retains the xp bonus.
-Changed US Amphibious Infantry to Marine Infantry that gets a small xp bonus
-Changed the Navy Guns/Armor promotion system to 1-10 instead of 1-7

Potential/Known Issues
-I removed two files that I think were unnecessary, and may have been behind the "runtime error" that was reported during loading a saved game from the previous version.
-Japan was not loading correctly previously. It was due to too many items having to be loaded by the game. I reduced its beginning military slightly, and have verified that it both loads on a new game and loads from a save successfully. I'm not sure that it will load saves after its army/empire grows well into a game though.
-When a scripted denouncement takes place, "We've been over this before. The answer is still no.", is the dialogue that is used. I'm not sure how to fix this at the moment.

Download links
Version 15 of part 1 and version 12 of part 2 are available HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/?7xaenc3os94c578

Credits:
-Danrell -- Unit Graphics/Animations
-Gedemon -- Lua script (diplomacy controls/calendar/Custom menu)
-Panaristi -- Basis for many of the unit icons (check out his work here:
http://www.creativecrash.com/users/panaristi)
-Pal1723 -- Many leader/civ icons
-Morlark --Smart tech tree piping .lua file

Special Thanks to:
-Spatzimaus for helping me get the tech tree working properly
-Derek Kael Paxton for his guide
-dlmt3 and kps666 for helping with troubleshooting
-Everyone who helped with ideas in this thread on how to improve the scenario also.

Screen Shots (these are now dated / will update later)
Europe:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Eastern Asia:
Spoiler :

North America:
Spoiler :

Current Status of Mod 4/21/12
This scenario is on ice indefinitely. I might check in from time to time to answer a question or two if they show up.

:scan:BEGIN_INSTALLATION [updated as of version 19(15/12)]
1. Delete or move all previous versions of this mod. I recommend doing the same with any old map versions as well to avoid confusion.

2. Download zip file package. It should contain 2 civ5mod files. Unpack both of them them into your MODS folder. Location:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

3. Clear your Civ5 cache if you think it is necessary (this was a big problem before, but it may not matter anymore), as this can sometimes lead to conflicts from residual mod data you've used in the past. It is located here: C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache. Delete all the database files. There should be about 6 of them.

4. Start Civ 5 and install the mods in game like you would normally do for a downloaded mod. ie. go to browse mods and click on install on lower right hand corner. It should take a fair amount of time to finish. If it doesn't complete then see the troubleshooting section below.

5. This is a good time to enable the mods now, so click on the enable icons for the 2 mod parts. It is recommended that you disable all mods except for the 2 WW2 (ver.15/12) mods. This isn't exactly necessary, as I play with InfoAddict enabled myself. Avoid mods that change any gameplay rules though.

6. Close Civ 5 and go back into your MODS folder.

7. Open the mod folder "WWII Full Earth Campaign Part 2 of 2 (v 12)". Select the folder "Common" and copy it. Open your civ5 common folder located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\resource\Common

8. Paste (This contains all the required animation instructions for the new units). If this is not done, then you will get the spearman problem during animations for any of the new units.
:scan:END_INSTALLATION

STARTING A GAME
1. Start Civ5, and select "Mods".

2. Open the mods browser and verify part 1/2 are enabled.

3. Navigate back to the mods main menu and select "Single Player".

4. Select "Custom Game". If you have a problem launching the game through the custom menu, then select setup game instead. From there you would pick the WWII map, select "load scenario", and launch the game.

5. Select "World War II Full Earth Campaign", Choose your WWII civ, and finally start the game.(if you get "Assertion failed!..." then see troubleshooting below)

NOTE: This mod has a very high number of units (in part due to 2 units/tile) for the AI to manage. So, expect long waits in between turns. Be patient. At times it may appear the game is stuck, but it is merely the ai working. If you have a super computer then maybe it will still play quick, but otherwise you may need something else to do while the AI takes its turn.

TROUBLESHOOTING
---"Assertion Failed!" error upon loading---

NOTE: It looks like I've finally gotten to the bottom of what was behind this with the help of the user "runtime_error". Read through this section of the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11274466&posted=1#post11274466 while specifically noting runtime_error's posts about DLC units messing up the map, and how he was able to fix this. A more permanent/easy fix will be in the works for the next version.

1. Acquire World Builder/Civ 5 SDK off Steam tools and install it. To find it open up your steam browser and select Library. Click on "All Games" near the top left corner and select "Tools". Civ 5 SDK should show up here.
2. Start World Builder
3. Verify that both part 1 & 2 of the mod are enabled. Do this by clicking on "Mods" and checking boxes next to them. Now select "Load".

NOTE: for European Theatre, you need to ignore part 1 of Full Earth Campaign. So, the mods at hand are "WWII European Theatre (v 4)" and "WWII Full Earth Campaign Part 2 of 2 (v 17)". The map file will be located in the Euro Theatre mod folder; not the FEC Part 1 folder (which likely won't exist). The map file you need is called "180X94_European_Theatre_2"

4. Navigate to the following folder, "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\WWII Full Earth Campaign Part 1 of 2 (v 15)", and open "WorldWarIIGiantEarthV3.Civ5Map".

5. Select the save function and exit to reattempt starting the scenario in the custom launcher.
or
-you can use "save as" function, and create a new map file to use with the normal "setup" menu. The only real difference, other than the flashy start screen, is that Australia/Spain are unplayable.
The custom setup menu does not seem to recognize the map file if it's been altered in anyway, so that is why there is a difference here.

---the mod is not installing automatically in game---
1. Create 2 folders in your "MODS" folder. Name them:
"WWII Full Earth Campaign Part 1 of 2 (v 15)"
&
"WWII Full Earth Campaign Part 2 of 2 (v 12)"
2. Open the civ5modfiles with a 7zip or winrar equivalent program. Drag and drop the contents of each to the corresponding folders that you just created. ie. part 1 contents go into part 1 of 2 folder

Old Update info
----Version 18 (14/11)---- Beta Test
NOTE: After uploading version 14/11 I found out that "Assertion failed!..." crash may prevent the map from loading as it is. I'll keep version 13/10 available in case this is true. I've posted a possible work around, but it may not work.
Changes:
-Converted scenario over to a customized Front end setup. Credit goes to Gedemon for the design, as it is his impressive skill with lua as usual. I made the customized background myself. Directions on how to start a game are posted below.
-Spain & Australia are as result now playable!:w00t:
-Adjusted AI behavior
-Moved start date up to June 1, 1939
-Fixed remaining unit skins that were missing
-Added upgrade lines for unique SPGs
-Adjusted Tech costs
-Reduced city growth rate
-Changed lighthouse so that instead of +1 food to all sea tiles, it now give +1 food base and +1 food on worked fish tiles.
-Removed the move/sight bonus provided by the Great Lighthouse, and boosted other aspects of it.
-Reduced AI bonuses for Growth and Gold costs for units/unit upgrades. This only affects KING & PRINCE levels, as those are the recommended difficulties for the scenario.
-Added Dawn of Man images for the other playable civilizations.
-Adjusted starting forces
-Adjusted some city locations slightly
-Increased certain starting city-state influence levels to prevent the AI from messing up the diplomacy script.
-Increased conquest rate for most buildings. ie. fewer buildings will be destroyed on city capture
-Increased Atomic Bomb damage
-Fixed some xml errors

Relevant parts of original Message--->Hello, I just discovered that this seems to be the more active of the civ community forums for interacting with other players.

I would like to give credit to the user "Buddha2723" for his own WW2 scenario, as it inspired me to make one using a modified huge Earth map. I feel like his scenario is focused on Europe/Pacific/North Africa and mine offers a more global perspective. So,
that is why I decided to make it.

I'd like to address some details about the scenario & then invite some suggestions on how to make the scenario better.

-This scenario is not intended to be perfectly setup for the state of the world at the onset of the invasion of Poland. Though it is close, there are some changes I have made in an attempt to make things more interesting.

Attachments

• TestLand3.zip
    9 KB · Views: 2,442
With some xml changes you can change the name of civs and the timeline. And where is the scenario?

Ah my mistake. I'm new here, so I wasn't familiar with attachments and uploading files yet. I have attached the newest version and uploaded in the downloads section since. It is also available via the in game mod browser, but that version has been slightly updated since.

As far as the xml changes go, I will keep that in mind for maybe next weekend. Thanks for the advice.

That sounds strange. I have played it and found no such problem myself. My guess is those are the corresponding DLC civs. Maybe you do not have the DLC civs? Babylon, Polynesia, & Spain are all available for DLC separate purchase.

I must say this scenario is absolutely fantastic ! Until now, I think it's the best WW2 scenario for CIV5, and maybe the best CIV5 Scenario. Congratulations, and thank you for this wonderful job !

I appreciate that Dragalex. I enjoyed playing it myself, so it's nice to see that others civ players are now as well.

Just downloaded this, will play tomorrow. After taking a quick glance at the map, I noticed that New Guinea was under British control - this is inaccurate as the Dutch gave New Guinea to Australia after Australia asked for it - this allowed the Australian government to get around a section of the Aussie constitution which prohibits conscripting people into the military unless Australian soil is under attack. Australians were then conscripted and sent to New Guinea to hold off the Japanese, along with New Zealand troops. You might make Port Moresby a puppet of Australia.

This is important because while still members of the British "commonwealth" Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa had by then become their own separate self governing nations which were not under control or administration of the British (technically still subjects of the British crown though), however most people still held a lot of loyalty towards Britain. Australian and New Zealand troops were also present in North Africa/The Near East until (if I recall correctly) Australia recalled their troops after the Japanese started trying to go over New Guinea to Australia. Most of the ANZAC troops in Africa/the Middle East were well trained professionals (Infantry) while the home guard was less well trained and the conscripts sent to New Guinea also had minimal training and used worse equipment (Riflemen).

India I think was not an independant nation yet and so all those cities would technically be English (maybe Puppets) but it seems a waste to not use India in your map.

Also, since you use Spain, you might consider using Inca as one of the larger South American nations such as Chile, Ecuador, Brazil or Argentina.

One also wishes for more space in Europe but that's always a problem I suppose.

These are all minor complaints about what i'm sure will be a very fun Scenario. I'll post back here after i've played it.

Also Auckland (New Zealand's largest city <north point of north island>), Wellington (It's Capital<south of north island>) or Christchurch (<east coast of south island> New Zealand's second largest city) may have been better choices than Dunedin etc - I realise that it takes forever to put all the cities down though and set all their buildings etc etc and that it's weird when you aren't familiar with somewhere (I only found out the other day that San Francisco is a much smaller city than the US's other major cities, same with Miami).

Just downloaded this, will play tomorrow. After taking a quick glance at the map, I noticed that New Guinea was under British control - this is inaccurate as the Dutch gave New Guinea to Australia after Australia asked for it - this allowed the Australian government to get around a section of the Aussie constitution which prohibits conscripting people into the military unless Australian soil is under attack. Australians were then conscripted and sent to New Guinea to hold off the Japanese, along with.

This is important because while still members of the British "commonwealth" Australia, Canada and South Africa had by then become their own separate self governing nations which were not under control or administration of the British (technically still subjects of the British crown though), however most people still held a lot of loyalty towards Britain. Australian and New Zealand troops were also present in North Africa/The Near East until (if I recall correctly) Australia recalled their troops after the Japanese started trying to go over New Guinea to Australia. Most of the ANZAC troops in Africa/the Middle East were well trained professionals (Infantry) while the home guard was less well trained and the conscripts sent to New Guinea also had minimal training and used worse equipment (Riflemen).

India I think was not an independant nation yet and so all those cities would technically be English (maybe Puppets) but it seems a waste to not use India in your map.

Also, since you use Spain, you might consider using Inca as one of the larger South American nations such as Chile, Ecuador, Brazil or Argentina.

One also wishes for more space in Europe but that's always a problem I suppose.

These are all minor complaints about what i'm sure will be a very fun Scenario. I'll post back here after i've played it.

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely fix New Guinea and its soldiers when I get the chance, as that is easy to correct and fits into the scenario quite well.

The game won't let me start any AI controlled units in non-empire controlled territory unfortunately (even if there is open borders), so there isn't really any room in North Africa for the ANZAC troops. The presence of Britain/France should cover it ok though.
I wanted to use the Inca in South America, but the game caps the civ count at 22 for some reason. So the Inca were the odd man out here, although I have considered turning Mongolia into a City-State allied with the USSR & then using the Inca as either Brazil or Argentina. Mongolia is probably the most pointless of the civs in the game as it is.

Lastly, yep Europe is frustratingly small on this map. I really wanted to have the Maginot line for France to use, & perhaps even more I wanted to have Crete as an actual Greek controlled city in the Med. I would have had to scale Africa slightly down to do this, however. In hindsight I wish I had done so, because it would have been worth the trouble. With all the cities already placed though, it would be extremely tedious.

Am I missing a step, I downloaded and placed the mod into my "MODS" folder while doing the same with the map. When I go to find it in the game I'm not able to locate it. Is their more to this that I'm not doing?

Good job. Feel free to steal my xml files(there are only two). One fixes the date to twelve turns a year, the other keeps modern, unbalancing techs from being researched. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions with the modding. I created my WWII scenario from the US vs World scenario I created first, and once you have many hours invested(I created that map from scratch) it's hard to make major changes to the map without starting from scratch again. If only Firaxis had given us a tool to select and drag portions of the map making these scenarios would be 10 times easier. As it is to shrink Africa, enlarge Europe, you would have to redo half the work, instead of just clicking a few times, like it should be. Keep up the good work. There has never been a satisfactory WWII scenario in Civ games, but we're just the guys for the job.

Drloomis, try finding the map in the mod folder, and copy pasting it to the maps folder in civ 5. Modbuddy is very confusing and it took me dozens of tries before I figured out how to get the map to show up, this is the backdoor way.

HI ALL

I Have a problem. I downloaded and placed the mod into my "MODS" folder. I activate mod in Civ. When I go to find it in the game-(maps) I'm not able to locate it. Is their more to this that I'm not doing?
Could you please hepl me!!!!!!!!! Help help!

I need play this scenario

Ditto. Also selected Single Player then Scenarios and found nothing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meier's Civilization V

C:\Users\Z\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

HI ALL

I Have a problem. I downloaded and placed the mod into my "MODS" folder. I activate mod in Civ. When I go to find it in the game-(maps) I'm not able to locate it. Is their more to this that I'm not doing?

Ditto. Also selected Single Player then Scenarios and found nothing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meier's Civilization V

C:\Users\Z\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

HI ALL

HI

I Have a problem.
I downloaded and placed the mod into my "MODS" folder.
Run game
I'm going to mod, I activate mod in Civ.
I go to a single game, where you chose maps and map there is red or not show it

What may be reason for that?
Could you please hepl me and write me detailed instructions what to do to make this work?

Thank you

cant locate it either.. :( correctly installed but no map?

I downloaded the mod scenario through the Civ V modhub. I alos DL'd the new u-boats mod and put that in my mod folder as well. How do I play? Do I need to move the map from either mod in to the map folder for Civ V?

Yes, you've got to put the map "WWIIver2" (or something like that) in the map folder.

Nevertheless, I've got another problem. When I set up a game with "WW2 earth campaign" scenario, when I want to select the Civilisation to play with, I can only chose between England, France, Germany, Rome, Japan, ans maybe Greece, and there's no scrollbar. For example, it's impossible for me to chose Russia. I tried to disable my other mods, but it still didn't work.

Has someone got a solution, please ?

Top Bottom