HOF III March Gauntlet

Tone

Deity
Hall of Fame Staff
We're well overdue for a new Gauntlet. How does this sound?

Level: Emperor
Mapsize: Large
Victory Condition:Conquest

As with last month, there are spare slots on the table so let's try and get a full set of 10 games here.

It's a two month deadline again so please submit your games by May 15th 2011. Good luck to all competitors.

Ok, what are all the other map settings I need to have for this.. other than that I just generate a random map right??

You can set it up how you want as long as its emporor and large, however I recommend pangea with 80% water, and hope all civs on the same land mass, the prefered civs to use tend to be celts or iqiquois though you can chose who you want.

Is this a milking or a speed kinda game?

Watching

Ok, what are all the other map settings I need to have for this.. other than that I just generate a random map right??

Large, Pangea, 80% water. civ for me is either Celts or Iroquios. you might chose a dry map, as it reduces the number of jungles you have to get through.

Possibly stating the obvious but....minimum opponants (That's 6 for a large map) and AI respawn off.

Personally I'd consider having a high AI aggression in the hope that two AIs might fight each other resulting in stunted growth.

I tend to choose AIs with late UU. No AI AA super defenders (that cuts out Carthage, Rome and Greece) but I also try to avoid facing civs that might have an early GA. That can be more difficult at the higher levels when they can build wonders quickly to generate a GA, but you can limit this by choosing a particular trait for many of them. I often choose expansionist opponants (without huts makes this a weaker trait) as most of the AA expansionist wonders are coastal builds to minimise AI wonder triggered GAs. America tends to head this list when I'm thinking about this type of game!

Hope that helps.

A question to all: I'm wondering if vanilla/ptw might be the way to go. Trading contacts and maps is possible in the AA (helps track down those enemy towns without scouting) and I don't think that an SGL is a game breaker here. Armies are much better in conquests and the Agri trait is also useful admitedly. Just a thought.

Nothing is stating the obvious for me. I've always been a casual Civ player, so thank you :)

Is this an obvious yet decent tactic.. declare war on someone far away, ally your neighbours against them, 20 turns later, let all run out, make peace, then declare on your neighbour who hopefully has most of his army now elsewhere?

Yes. All's fair in love and war. (subject to HOF rules of course! ;))

I wouldn't worry too much about your rep either. If you see an opportunity to strike a weakened opponant, seize it. Fastest finish games don't always sit well with 20 turn deals. This is not the type of game where you are desparate to offer gpt deals or offer resources. Take some cities/techs in a peace deal and then redeclare the next turn if you wish.

I think I'll try this one as the Iroquois for my first ever gauntlet. Plenty of time left as these games aren't too long.

As I haven't done many conquest games, I don't know when to start conquering. Anyone have an opinion about how many Mounted Warriors one should have before starting to conquer my neighbors?

I guess the number is level dependent, you could get away with 5 on regent and below, as Calis says they will come thick and fast when golden age starts, the wquestion may be how many cities ready to produce them in GA

I usually do not build more than 6 cities before building MWs.

You need

1. a food rich start (2-4 cows, which is easy on a large map)
2. a capital that builds 4 or 5 settlers (without granary for me)
3. all cities (except capital) build a barracks immediately
4. beeline research to HBR (Wheel --> Warrior code --> HBR) (I usually stop research after that)
5. If you get horses before HBR start with building charriots for upgrade
6. Every now and then you need to build a worker to road towards your enemies

Thanks, del62 and Calis.
Calis: you've confirmed just the strategy that I inferred from your current #1 (except that I couldn't tell the timing of the barracks). At a higher difficulty level, one might need more than 6 cities producing MWs, but you've shown that 6 can be enough at Emperor.

Egypt is a good choice, too.

Actually, PTW may be a lot better, because of better workers (egypt is industrious in PTW, right?)

Anything with a fast early UU is good. Hittittes are ok, not great (cause they are expensive)

Aztecs are always interesting, too.

My first try is going well in the military sense, but my pangaea only holds five of my foes. It may turn into a domination game instead. This table is awfully weak, though, so if I can find the missing AI and they aren't too far away I may stick with conquest.

I have started a few, but none have been great so far.One of the problem generally with larger conquests is finding all the AI

And too many times, one of them is on an island, not on the pangaea, even when playing the maps with smaller domination limits..

My 270BC win with the Iroquois was accepted, beating the 210BC of Calis. Domination limit 1208. It could have been won a few turns earlier with better play, starting earlier on making roads through jungle.

Top Bottom