Easy-to-use scenarios: Modern Earth & The Slave Triangle

Zefyrinus

Regent
I've made these scenarios so that people who aren't used to fiddling with graphics files and such, or people who are otherwise reluctant to go and mess with such things, can play these. This is all you have to do:

1. Requirements: You must have Civilization III Complete or Civilization III Conquests to play the scenarios.
2. Download the file(s) you want. All the scenarios in this thread can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b402kyap50xl8u5/AAChiPDmBrXkSCYDaawqKmTda?dl=0
3. Move the .biq file(s) to Program > Firaxis Games > Civilization III Complete > Conquests* > Scenarios.
*Remember, there is a folder called "Scenarios" in both the "Civilization III Complete" folder and in the "Conquests" folder. You need to put it in the one which is located under "Conquests".
4. Start the game, click "Civ-content" and find the scenario in the list.

If the link I posted doesn't work, please PM me and I'll fix it. If you have any questions, you can PM me or post in this thread. Also, if you notice something that is "wrong" or doesn't seem right in any of the scenarios, please post in this thread.

Modern Earth

This scenario quite basic. It's the huge world map that came with the game, with some slight alterations (seriously, northern Europe used to look really bad on that map). There is a README file in the same folder the scenario file came with, and it has the following description:
Spoiler :
Changes to game in general
The game map is the standard huge size world map, but with some minor modifications. Corruption has been lowered a lot. Agricultural civilizations start with an extra worker instead of an extra settler.

Civilizations
All the ancient civilizations have been changed to modern ones. This includes changes in city names, leaders, etc. The full list of all civilizations is this:

Italy
Egypt
Greece
Iraq
Germany
Russia
China
USA
Japan
France
India
Iran
Mexico
South Africa
Canada
Great Britain
Mongolia
Spain
Sweden
Turkey
Ireland
Saudi-Arabia
Tunisia
South Korea
Ethiopia
Pakistan
Netherlands
Portugal
Indonesia
Peru
Brazil

The names of the barbarian tribes have also been changed. Remember that the barbarians are mint green and not white in this game!

Since the old world is so crowded, you will have an easier game if you choose to play as one of the American countries.

Natural Resources
Incense - requires the advance of Mysticism to appear on the map.
Ivory - may be exhausted.
Gems - may be exhausted.

Terrain
Tundra - may turn into grassland due to global warming.
Flood Plain - may turn into desert due to global warming.
Marsh - may turn into coast due to global warming.
Volcano - gives no 4 food and 2 shields by default. If mined it gives additional +2 shields, and if roaded +1 commerce. May be settled now.
Sea - may turn into ocean due to global warming.

Units
Impi - is available to both South Africa and Ethiopia.
War Elephant - is available to both India and Pakistan. Requires ivory.
Ansar Warrior - is available to both Iran, Iraq and Saudi-Arabia.
Mountain Police - is Canada's special unit, replacing cavalry. Treats all terrain as roads.
Modern Cavalry - is Sweden's special unit, replacing cavalry. Has higher attack power than regular cavalry.
Mameluk - is Egypt's special unit, replacing knight. Has less defense, but has 3 moves instead of 2, and is also slightly cheaper.
Plantation Slave - is Brazil's special unit. Has same functions as workers, but with the benefit that it is slightly cheaper, and doesn't decrease its citys population. It also requires no support. It's downside is that it can't build mines or forts.
Afandore - is Italy's special unit, replacing Ironclad. Has higher attack and defense than regular ironclads.
ABRI - Indonesia's special unit, replacing guerilla. Has higher attack and defense than a regular guerilla.
Junk - China's special unit, replacing galley. Moves faster than regular galley.
Pirate Ship - Tunisia's special unit, replacing privateer. Has higher attack than regular privateer.

Desert Colonization
This scenario can be downloaded from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b402kyap50xl8u5/AAChiPDmBrXkSCYDaawqKmTda?dl=0. This scenario doesn't really introduce anything new, only some minor details have been changed. This scenario is about grabbing land and building colonies, because many resources are found in the desert, but deserts can't be settled. (And finally there's a use for the Explorer unit.) It can be played with or without Victory Points.

The beginning of the game can be tricky, but this can be overcome. The first time I played, I got a really slow start compared to the other civs, but I almost won (would've only needed a few more turns to kill off Persia which was leading in points. The third time I played, I was at war with basically everyone the whole ancient and early medieval times and I wasn't able to expand, but I managed to become the leading nation and won thanks to my Victory Points.

In the beginning you are stuck, wandering around in the desert, so you must find a good place to settle. A hint: Move towards the middle of the map.

Full list of changes (let me know if you find any other changes I've forgotten about)
  • Settlers cost only one population point.
  • War Elephants require ivory.
  • The civilizations are the same as in the original game, but their city lists have been completely remade.
  • The tech Ironclads has been removed. Instead the unit ironclad becomes buildable with the advance of Steam Power.
  • Corruption has been lowered.
  • The cost of Future Technology has been lowered a little.
  • The Statue of Zeus and Knights Templar have been made more expensive.
  • The appearance and disappearance rates of some resources have been changed.
  • The terrains in which some resources can appear have been changed.
  • Deserts are unsettleable.
  • Volcanoes can be roaded, mined and colonized.
  • Oceans give no commerce or food.
  • The worker jobs of Clear Forest, Clear Wetlands and Clear Damage have been made less slow.
  • Rainforests (jungles) are cleared with the Clear Forest command (but they give no shields).

Last edited:
The Slave Triangle

The slave triangle refers to the trade route by which the British took guns from Britain to Africa, slaves from Africa to America, and goods the slaves had produced from America back to Britain.

The README file, which is included in the download folder, has the following description:

Changes to game in general
Clearing wetlands have been made slightly quicker.
Barbarians build impi instead of horsemen, and canoes instead of galleys.

Civilizations
The playable civilizations are Spain, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Inca and the Aztecs. It is strongly recommended that you choose to play as one of the European nations, unless you want a hell of a challenge. The difficulty order of the civilizations should be something like this (with the hardest at the top and easiest at the bottom):

the Aztecs
Inca
Germany
Italy
the Netherlands
the United Kingdom
Portugal
Spain

Civilization Advances
Major changes have been made to the advances of the ancient and medieval eras (see the science advisor screen in the game). These are the most important changes:

Ancient era
Metal working - allows spearmen, swordsmen (which now have only 1 defense point) and canoes (which replace curraghs). Makes iron, gold and gems visible. Enables mining.
Construction - allows archers, chariots (which now are better than horsemen), catapults and galleys. Enables the construction of palace, walls, harbors and theaters.
Engineering - enables bridges over rivers. Enables construction of aqueducts and commercial docks.
Agriculture - makes wheat, cattle, sugar, horses, tobacco and wines visible. Enables irrigation. Enables the construction of granaries. Cannot be traded. Allows horsemen
Civilization - enables the construction of courthouses and marketplaces. Allows change of government into monarchy. Enables diplomats, right of passage treaties, military alliences and communication trading. Cannot be traded.
Polytheism - enables the construction of shrines. Cannot be traded.
Christianity - enables the construction of churches.

Medieval era
Chivalry - is now required for era advancement
Invention - allows caravels and carracks (for the Portuguese). Enables trade over sea.
Navigation - enables trade over ocean and map trading. Allows explorers, galleons, frigates, men-o-war (for the British), privateers and conquistadors (for the Spanish).
Renaissance - enables construction of the great wonder Leonardo's Workshop.
Reformation - is just a prerequisite for Enlightenment.
Literature - is now a mediaval advance instead of ancient.
Enlightenment - gives one free technology to the civilization that first researches it.
Freedom of speech - replaces Artistic Freedom.
Astronomy - does not enable trade over sea tiles or makes sea travel safe for galleys.
The republic - allows change of government into republic.
Democracy - allows change of government into democracy. Not required for era advancement.

Industrial era
Romanticism - enables construction of the great wonder St. Thomas' Church.
Nationalism - enables conscription, war mobilization, mutual protection pacts and trade embargos. Enables construction of police stations. Allows change of government into fascism.
Taxonomy - a new advance that is prerequisite for scientific method.
Scientific method - gives one free technology to the civilization that first discovers it.

The rest, you might wanna skip if you don't want to be spoiled:
Spoiler :
Improvements
The most important changes are as follow (see also civilization advances for changes in what advance allows which improvement):

Palace - adds +2 culture per turn.
Shrine - replaces temple. Is cheaper than a temple to build.
Church - replaces cathedral. Is a little cheaper to build than a cathedral. Requires no other improvements in its city to be possible to build.
Theater - replaces colosseum. Adds +5 culture per turn.
Research lab - adds +1 culture per turn.

Wonders
Pyramid of the Sun (replaces the pyramids) - which was the largest structure in the Aztec empire, requires polytheism and tobacco within city radius. Places a shrine in every city. Adds +6 culture per turn. Is made obsolete by christianity.

Linnaeus' Garden (replaces the Hanging Gardens) - which was built in Uppsala, Sweden, was based on the works of Carl von Linné (Linnaeus). Requires taxonomy. Makes one citizen happy in its city and doubles research output. Is a scientific wonder and adds +2 culture per turn. Is made obsolete by computers.

The Statue of Liberty (replaces the Colossus) - requires metallurgy. Allows the city to grow into a metropolis. Is expansionistic and seafaring, must be built near the coast, and adds +3 culture per turn. Is made obsolete by flight.

Eddystone Lighthouse (replaces the Great Lighthouse) - requires navigation. Gives +1 ship movement. Is expansionistic and seafaring and must be built near the coast. Is made obsolete by electricity.

The Bodleian Library (replaces the Great Library) - requires literature. Gives any two civilization advances already known by two other civilizations and adds a library on every city on the same continent. Adds only +4 culture per turn. Never becomes obsolete, but may not become a tourist attraction.

Jefferson Memorial (replaces the Oracle) - requires the advance of republic, and can only be built during republican government. Makes one citizen happy in its city, and doubles research output. Is scientific and commercial, and is more expensive to build than the Oracle. Never becomes obsolete.

The Wall of Berlin (replaces the Great Wall) - requires the advance of communism, and can only be built during communistic government. Makes two citizens unhappy in its city, but causes city growth of +2 instead of +1 populations points. Is militaristic and expansionistic, and is cheaper to build than the Great Wall. Adds only +1 culture per turn. Slightly ups its city's defense and bombardment defense. Is made obsolete by flight.

Vegetius' De Re Militari (replaces Sun Tzu's Art of War, is otherwise identical to it) - requires Chivalry.

The Sistine Chapel - doubles the effect of churches. Is already placed in Rome.

St. Thomas' Church (replaces JS Bach's Cathedral, is otherwise identical to it) - requires Romanticism.

Magellan's Voyage - adds only +1 culture per turn.

Globe Theatre (replaces Shakespeares Theater) - requires freedom of speach and the resource of tobacco (which also might stand for drugs in this game. Shakespeare was supposively high when he wrote his plays). Does not allow its city to grow into a metropolis without a hospital.

Leonardo's Workshop - requires renaissance. Is militaristic and scientific. Adds +6 culture per turn.

Newtons's University - adds +4 culture per turn.

Smith's Trading Company - adds +2 culture per turn.

Universal Suffrage - is industrious and agricultural.

Hoover Dam - adds +1 culture per turn.

Theory of Evolution - adds +2 culture per turn.

The Manhattan Project - produces a tactical nuke every 50 turns. Adds +1 culture per turn.

SETI Program - is expansionistic and scientific. Adds +2 culture per turn.

Heroic Epic - is militaristic and religious. Adds +8 culture per turn.

Binnenhof (replaces Forbidden Palace) - is expansionistic and adds +2 culture per turn. Is more expensive to build than Forbidden Palace, but it may become a tourist attraction. Requires 30 cities before it can be built.

Intelligence Agancy - is militaristic.

The Internet - adds +8 culture per turn.

Versailles (replaces the Temple of Artemis) - requires renaissance. Makes one citizen happy in its city, increases luxury output and doubles the effect of theaters. Is commercial and expansionistic, and adds a whopping +10 culture per turn. Is more expensive to build than the Temple of Artemis. Is made obsolete by electronics.

Lincoln Memorial (replaces the statue of Zeus) - requires the advance of republic and can only be built during republican government. Makes two citizens happy in each city (because of the abolishment of slavery). Is industrial and expansionistic, and adds +3 culture per turn. Is more expensive to build than the Statue of Zeus, but never becomes obsolete.

The Eiffel Tower (replaces the Mausoleum of Mausollos) - requires the advance of Steel and the resources iron and coal. Makes one citizen happy in its city and increases trade production. Is industrious and scientific, and adds +3 culture per turn.

Knights Templar - adds +4 culture per turn.

Secret Police HQ - is expansionistic. Produces a secret agent every 5 turns. Is a little more expensive to build than before, and subtracts -1 culture per turn.

World Trade Center (new) - gives +1 trade in each trade producing tile in its city's radius. Adds +1 culture per turn.

Colosseum (new) - does nothing, just adds +3 culture every turn. Is already placed in Rome.

The Great Mosque of Djenné - makes four citizens happy in its city. Requires an oasis within city radius and adds +7 culture per turn.

Terrain
Changes have been made to which resource can be found on what terrain types. Volcanos produce 4 food (as areas around volcanos often are very fertile), and mines (resulting in +1 shield) and roads (resulting in +1 trade) can be built on them. Cities, colonies, outposts and radar towers can also be built on them.

Units
Besides the changes of prerequisite advances, stated under Civilization Advances, the guerilla is now only available to the Incas. A new unit has also been added, the secret agent. To build it you must have researched espionage. The secret agent keeps its nationality hidden and treats all terrain as roads. It can be used for exploring other nations' territories, and for sabotaging since it has the pillage action.

Last edited:
Sdrawkcab
In this scenario you start at the end of the technology tree and work backwards. You begin with the glorious Golden Age and then decay until you reach the Clay Age. At the beginning you can build good modern units, but they become progressively weaker throughout time.

The game is quite easy, so you might wanna play with a higher difficulty level than you usually play at.

Great scenario, fun to play. I played as the UK and it was quite easy. Made my way towards lots of different small islands and scattered my cities so i couldn't be found. I would rate it 8/10. Great job.

How well does AI coping with having to wander the desert?

How well does AI coping with having to wander the desert?
They will take the quickest route to settleable land, and will build more cities like normal. The AIs at the south usually have difficulties expanding and remain small, while the ones in the north become huge. The AIs seem to be a little slow on building colonies at first, but at the later stages in the game they start to do that more and more. As a human you have the disadvantage of not necessarily knowing which way to go at the beginning, but you also have one advantage over the AIs. Even if you have had difficulties expanding, there's one area where you can settle without competition: a marsh covered area. But you have to clear them first.

i click the link but i cannot see the download
Is it the link for Desert Colonization? It used to be that you had to scroll down the page a little and there was a green download button, but hmm... Now it looks different. Now there's an ordinary button that says "Regular download". When you click that you get to a second page. On that page you have to scroll down a little and there's an orange download button which starts the download for real.

The link for the other scenarios doesn't seem to work... I'll reupload those files, but it will take a little while...

Top Bottom