Earth Challenge (standard size)

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
Here's a new game concept for you: play on this Earth map as any civilization you wish, at any difficulty, and post your result here. I will gather the results and make a list of the best players and civilizations based on statistical analysis.

Some Civilizations are more difficult than others, so the results for tougher civilizations will be increased relatively. Vice versa: the difficulty of a civilization will be judged on results, so if a civilization is played by a someone who posted a bad result on another civilization, the result will be increased to compensate.

We started this on a huge map earlier, but due to popular demand :mischief: I started this one on a standard sized Earth map.

If a player plays the same civilization more than once, only the best result will count.

When you're done, please submit your results here.
Preferably you could also post your result (including screenshot) in this thread as notification to others.

Do note that Normal game speed is mandatory!

In the end we will have:
- A list of results.
- A list of the weighted average of players their results.
- A list of the weighted average of results per civilization.

(Not Russia but Rome is in this scenario.)

All civilizations start with one extra archer to prevent warrior rushes.
Difficulty: selectable
Speed: normal
Victory type: all
Map size: standard
Options: pick religion, no random events, no goody huts

Code:
    [U]Player      [/U]  [U]Civilization[/U]  [U]Points[/U]  [U]Date   [/U]  [U]Result         [/U]  [U]Difficulty[/U]
01. Rom_Addy      Rome          347587  1610 AD  Conquest   win   Deity
02. Kadazzle      Rome          312877  1470 AD  Conquest   win   Immortal
03. Rom_Addy      Inca          237274  1735 AD  Diplomatic win   Deity
04. monkybone     India         197332  1795 AD  Conquest   win   Emperor
05. balatian      Inca          174769  1730 AD  Conquest   win   Emperor
06. DesertPfox    Egypt         147473  1790 AD  Conquest   win   Emperor
07. ChanceDanger  Rome          132723  1802 AD  Conquest   win   Monarch
08. aitkensam     Rome          118515  1570 AD  Conquest   win   Noble
09. DesertPfox    China         114622  1826 AD  Conquest   win   Emperor
10. balatian      Zululand      106075  1880 AD  Conquest   win   Emperor
11. aitkensam     Aztec         102949  1806 AD  Domination win   Noble
12. balatian      China          68972  1876 AD  Diplomatic win   Emperor
13. aitkensam     Inca           67041  1775 AD  Conquest   win   Noble
14. DesertPfox    Egypt          66566  1580 AD  Diplomatic win   Emperor
15. gram123       Egypt          54944  1848 AD  Cultural   win   Emperor
16. ChanceDanger  Aztec          40177  1912 AD  Space Race win   Monarch
17. Matrix        Aztec          38513  1970 AD  Space Race win   Monarch
18. Kid R         Inca           27804  1916 AD  Space Race win   Emperor
19. Matrix        Zululand        2840  1989 AD  Cultural   loss  Monarch
Code:
Weighted average scores of players:
A01. DesertPfox      279263
A02. Rom_Addy        154927
A03. balatian        133184
A04. Kadazzle        131909
A05. gram123         104045
A06. aitkensam        53859
A07. ChanceDanger     42576
A08. Kid R            19884
A09. Matrix           16358

B01. monkybone       197332
Code:
Weighted average scores of civilizations:
A01. Rome            173187
A02. Aztec           113974
A03. Inca            102101
A04. Zululand         51569
A05. Egypt            38558
A06. China            37813

B01. India            74037
Overall weighted average group scores:
A 73016
B 197332

The average is the geometric average of the squared results. E.g. the average of 10000, 40000 and 67500 would be 3√(√10000 * √40000 * √67500)2 = 30000.
The weighted average is the average divided by the average of the corresponding civilization(s)/player(s). When things start to get complex I will use the SUMXMY2-function in Excel between a table of observed and expected results.

N.B.: in order to play this scenario from the game menu, put the file in Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder
Good luck!

Attachments

• CFC Standard Earth Challenge.zip
    22.8 KB · Views: 206
if it's the same map as you provided in mods section (at it seems so) I already playtested it a bit and there is one big difference with your huge map.

Due to number of AIs (low) you need 64% of landmass for domination victory. That is not achievable with EuroAsia+Afrika as in the huge map.
You have to go for new world too.

It's probably "fine" on one hand, but makes the games uncomparable. As in the huge challenge you can take whole EuroAsia and be finished with Domination.

Here is my end save

Nice one Matrix, I'll definitely be playing :goodjob:

It's good that on a smaller map the old world civs need to tackle america to win dom. With huge the play times meant dom purely in the old world was merciful. On standard it might be too easy

Needs more civilizations! Kind of defeats the purpose to make it normal size and way less civs.

In the first paragraph you say "at any difficulty and speed". A bit later there is a line in bold type that says "Do note that Normal game speed is mandatory!"

So you simultaneously allow any speed and also require normal game speed...

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

@vranasm: this challenge won't be compared with the huge sized version, so it's ok if people need to cross the ocean to win dominantly. ;)

@digitalcraft: IMO it doesn't defeat the whole purpose at all! The number of turns are lower and the turn times are still way shorter. Plus only seven civs improves comparability. Besides, a standard sized map normally has seven civs. I'm trying to keep this one as default as possible.

@God-Emperor: Fixed, thanks. :)

Just played through as Aztecs. Are the starting locations for the Inca and Aztec nerfed because of how awesome the Americas are? Either way, if no big changes come around I have a final score (Lazy stay at home space race after I ruined HC's day).

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow morning (British time). If there are no big changes pending before that, the result will count. :)

Ok, competition is open! :)

ChanceDanger, what's your score?

I myself started with the Zulus on Monarch, but it's a complete failure. :( I was lagging behind throughout the game and only have five cities. Once I had Infantry I finally decided to attack Egypt, but since Egypt is a Roman vassal state, I'm being crushed by the Romans now. You'll soon see a conquest defeat coming in. :rolleyes:

Right now I am confused too...

it's epic speed or normal? Bolded is "epic" but in the minitable bellow map it's "normal".

Incas might be abit overpowered if you rush Monty w/Quechuas and have third of the world to settle uncontested ?

I played a couple of games on this map.

Incans - Noble - Normal - Conquest 1775AD - 67041
Spoiler :

Killed Aztecs at the start but their cap auto-razed :( Not sure if it was such a good plan as I didn't realise tech trading was on in this version and maybe they would have been good for that for a while as it took me some time to get north. Think I probably expanded too slowly for an earlier finish.

Eventually colonised all of US and attacked with Cavalry and shortly after Tanks. In case its helpful for determining which civ is easier - Rome (vassaled India) were the biggest pre-war followed by Shaka (vassaled Egypt).

This was the first game I realised you can get unhappiness for "you razed a holy city" :p

Romans - Noble - Normal - Conquest 1570AD - 118515
Spoiler :

Went for IW early and Praet rushed - how original. With 3 of my own cities I killed Egypt and India and screwed China to one city. Kept all their cities that didn't autoraze. Then got some catapults and killed Shaka bar one barb city he took in Russia.

Peace for a while teched to Rifling, Steel and Astronomy. Got some other stuff on the way, maybe I shouldn't have for the sake of speed. Also had 3 cities auto settling the rest of the old world. Kinda pointless as I went conquest in the end I guess...
Went over ocean and vassaled both civs. Again if its useful for comparison Monty was far bigger 15/7 cities ish iirc.

I guess having played this map a couple of times the score is likely to go up just cos of familiarity with it. I might play Inca again just to see. Will try some other races too if time!

Attachments

• Huayna Capac AD-1775.CivBeyondSwordSave
    365.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Julius Caesar AD-1570.CivBeyondSwordSave
    258.9 KB · Views: 61
Inca - Emperor - Space 1916 - 27804.

Friendly Monty for once in a blue moon, seemed a shame to rock the boat :lol:

The global political situation was very interesting all the way through. It certainly is an entertaining roster of leaders, although not really one designed for a very fast tech pace!

Top Bottom