TSG29 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG29 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Darius. Turn . Science.

It can be done a whole lot quicker.

The outcome was never in doubt.

settled in place.

GL & Oracle, liberty second city, buy library, National College start. PT, ND, CI etc etc. bulb to Renaissance.

RA's.

should have fought more, even with no city razing.

Made so many mistakes late game i cant bring myself to type more.

messed up my timing for Scientific Revolution then missed the fact i had two GS's kicking about. useless. even sold all my aluminium forgetting about the spaceship factory. unbelievable. i suppose i havent done the science rush in a while and just got lazy/stupid.

haha i didnt mean to hit the post button, as you can see from the opening line ive not actually finnished the game yet :)

its going on 01:15 and i have work in the morning.

this is why i purposely missed out on Civ4. its an addiction. it impacts badly on other factors in my life.

Darius. Turn 302. Science.

Took me way too long.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 29
Date submitted: 2012-02-01
Reference number: 25622

Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1864AD
Turns played: 302
Base score: 1506
Final score: 2510
Time played: 3:06:00
Submitted save: GOTM29Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C502901.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2012-02-02
Reference number: 25625
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1856AD
Turns played: 298
Base score: 830
Final score: 1406
Time played: 6:44:00
Submitted save: TSG29_Launched_Space_Ship_T298.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C502901.Civ5Save

I ended up not taking any of the American cities. I did have 2 wars with them, 1 they started and 1 I started. The first war ended with them giving me several luxuries and cash. The 2nd one was more to clear out a bunch of their troops , because I was tired of them attacking my 1 cs ally and I couldn't get them to go to peace due to permanent war.

I would have finished a lot sooner, but I diverted to grab stealth bombers with the 2 free techs for the policy. I did this both to try to end the extremely long war with Alex and for that 2nd war with America. During the war with Alex I took the 2 CSs north of me. The first so I could get the aluminum and the 2nd to complete a quest with my CS ally. Both of them were allied with Alex, so I didn't have to worry about getting hit with permanent war.

The other thing that slowed me down the cost of RAs skyrocketing to the point where the best deal I could get was the 350 gold for the RA, one of my single source luxuries and some cash on top of that. Si I ended up hard teching most of the end stuff, with a few bulbs and oxford.

While building Apollo, I dropped 1k on one of Alex's CS allies to get its 3 coal, bought a factory in the city building Apollo and built a factory in my other 2 production cities.

As soon as I unlocked spachip factories, I deleted 1 Stealth bomber to get 1 aluminum back and sold a few GPT for the remaining cash to buy the SS factory.

Luckily I still managed to finish in under 300 turns. In order to shave off 1 turn on the last part I sold most of my GPT to Alex for 3 luxuries and some cash. This let me pop a natural GA when I only had 3 turns left to finish the last part. Then starving the capital and buying a forge let me get just enough hammers to drop that down to 2 turns.

Here are some screenshots.
My tiny empire.
Spoiler :

The final Demographics.
Spoiler :

I've been watching Wainy's deity videos and practicing what I'd learned. That helped a lot.

Attachments

• 2012-02-02_00002.jpg
    2012-02-02_00002.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 785
  • 2012-02-02_00001.jpg
    2012-02-02_00001.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 771
I stopped after like 50 turns. Washington warrior rushed me accomplishing absolutely nothing except getting on my nerves. I even managed to settle my second city to the north-east while his warriors came in from there. Yeah, the AI is that dumb. Didn't want to play another game with constant war against inept AI idiots, so I quit.

For me:
King or below = CiV is fun
Emperor or above = CiV is one of the worst games ever made

It's not hard to beat emperor AIs, but constantly getting spammed with tons of units that do absolutely nothing at all is just annoying.

Anyway, I hope my rant doesn't annoy you as much as CiV sometimes annoys me. :D

Date submitted: 2012-02-02
Reference number: 25628
Your name: drakar8888

Game date: 1818AD
Turns played: 279
Base score: 1353
Final score: 2460
Time played: 5:03:00
Submitted save: Darius I_0279 AD-1818.Civ5Save
Renamed file: drakar8888_C502901.Civ5Save

Hello everyone,

this is my first submission, although I have played most of the GOTM maps. I had a lot fun playing this map, so I felt it was time to post.

Here are the highlights of my game:

My opening plan was to go for the GL and use the free tech to immediately get Civil service. I had everything lined up perfectly for turn 49, and of course the AI beat me to it at turn 47. That was the first fail of the game.

A few turns later Asika warrior rushed my second city. I figured that a city with an archer could defend 6 warriors, but when making the purchase I misclicked and got City walls instead. Turns out it wasn't so bad and the city held until an archer arrived from the capital. Immediately after the 6 warriors died Asika gave me everything he had as part of the peace deal so I took it. It was enough to cover the cost of the walls.

I got 3 cities up and running and at around turn 110 I launched an attack against Asika to puppet his 4 cities. I got the first one in about 5 turns. Then I marched to the capital. What followed was about 50 turns of me throwing archers and swordmen at the city of Gao, which had an archer and a tireme inside it - I lost about 8 archers and 5 swords - at which point I almost ragequited from the game. 20 turns later I upgraded to longswords and crossbows and finally managed to kill him off.

Around turn 210 Washington, who has been coveting my lands since the day I met him, launched an attack with minutemen and knights. The invasion was held easily and the counterpush came 15 turns later with artilleries and infantry. By turn 250 all his cities were part of the puppet empire. To add insult to injury his last city was taken by a city state. Egypt also dow'ed at that time, but they were very far behind technologically to be of any significance.

During the game every single AI except the Russians hated me, which made trading a pain. I managed to generate 4 great generals, 6 scientist and 3 engineers and also got the chichen izta and the taj mahal, so my guys were in a constant golden age most of the time.

Building the spaceship took about 10 turns after the Apolo program was done - 3 cities with factories, nuclear plants and spaceship factories.

On a side note I have no idea how to manage RAs during the early game stages, I feel like the first round of RAs I sign give so little of a boost that I might as well not waste the gold and start signing after turn 100. I am probably missing something. :)

Hello everyone,

this is my first submission, although I have played most of the GOTM maps. I had a lot fun playing this map, so I felt it was time to post.
Your first post! :thumbsup:

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Congrats on your first "official" win. Keep up the good work.

Date submitted: 2012-02-03
Reference number: 25630
Your name: RedRover57
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250
Base score: 698
Final score: 1396
Time played: 9:34:00

I had 3 cities total. Stayed peaceful all game. I think I did about the best I could considering the AI was often low on cash for RA's and buying my silver. England never had cash the whole game (No RA's with them at all) and America was low until the end (only 1 RA with them) - I had 3-4 RA's each with the rest of them. I lost the Oracle by 2 turns, but it didn't really matter in the end. I built every other WW I wanted (GL, HS, PT, ND, CI, Taj). I had 7 GS saved up to bulb my way through the end, and one was used for a GA while building spaceship parts. My SP's were full Liberty, left side of Rationalism and a couple in Tradition. I should have had a much longer GA in the middle, but when I came out of the long TM GA I didn't get credit for stored up happiness (I believe this is a bug, since I was storing up happiness at 20 per turn for about 35 turns and none of this was counted).

I should have had a much longer GA in the middle, but when I came out of the long TM GA I didn't get credit for stored up happiness (I believe this is a bug, since I was storing up happiness at 20 per turn for about 35 turns and none of this was counted).

This is as the devs intended. Otherwise we could be in a near infinite GA as long as we kept the happiness up at high levels. Also, with the significant happiness bonus the AI gets they would almost always be in a GA.

Edit: I just finished my 2nd attempt and managed to shave 39 turns off. On the 2nd attempt I loaded from where I left off in the in progress thread and rushed longswords to take all but 1 of Washington's cities. Then a couple of wars with Greece, because Alex was irritating me with taking my CS allies. I took most of his cities, including his capital which had some nice wonders. On the way to Greece, I had to DoW Askia since he wouldn't give me open borders, so I took his capital and another city leaving him with a single city away from my borders.

This time, even with most folks guarded and even hostile I managed to have more RAs than I needed. Other than Alex, Rams was the only person with even close to my military strength and that was only because of the number of units he had. In the end I was running around with rocket arty, gunships, tanks, a cruiser and the odd antitank gun and paratrooper my allies gifted me. the only reason I even had some gunships was from upgrading gifted units.

It was a fun game for both attempts and I am definitely getting better at warmongering and managing my tech medians for the RAs.

This is as the devs intended. Otherwise we could be in a near infinite GA as long as we kept the happiness up at high levels. Also, with the significant happiness bonus the AI gets they would almost always be in a GA.

Is this a very recent change? The last time I played Persia (I believe it was Deity Challenge 3 - thread is in the Strategy section somewhere) I had a near perma GA because the happiness still accumulated while in a GA. As soon as the GA ended there was one turn before going right back into the next GA. But that was probably 6-9 months ago.

Reference number: 25632
Your name: Mazer Rackham
Game date: 1520AD
Turns played: 214
Base score: 1465
Final score: 3488

I had hoped to achieve my first pre-200 turn science win. I was on pace to finish right around there... but made a big mistake.

Spoiler :

I quickly expanded to 4 cities and blocked Washington in pretty good. I kept my relative military strength reasonable and was not declared upon in the beginning. After building the settlers, I built the GL in the capital and took Civil Service. Right after that I build CI, and had it in time for the GA from Representation. The other cities had libraries completed by time CI finished, and I built the NC next.

I bee-lined Education (of course I got Masonry earlier) and waited for the other Civs to hit the Medieval age before signing RAs. Unfortunately, I thought I had everyone before hitting the Renaissance but Hiawatha was a straggler. When the message that came in he had hit Medieval, I caught my mistake and made an RA with him.

Next mistake - I checked about 8 turns before and was on target to hop into the Renaissance the very turn a new policy hit. What timing! Unfortunately, I completed Stonehenge (not in the capital) 3 turns later. I had to burn the policy on the Commerce opener. I did complete the Oracle on the turn I jumped to the Renaissance, but I would've loved to have grabbed Freedom with it in addition to getting Rationalism.

I built a Trebuchet and 2 cannons and declared on Washington. He had managed to squeeze in 5 cities somehow and I easily took 4 and the Pyramids. Nice! Washington itself would eventually get annexed and build a Booster.

During the war, I hit Scientific Theory and noticed the Coal problem. This ended up being the catalyst for what delayed my game. After searching the globe, I decided I would send a settler down to the south between the 3 city states and claim the Coal/Pearls there. I knew this would probably anger Alex (who had the biggest army and had never been friendly) and Askia (no problem). In hindsight, I should've camped out for a few turns before settling. Alex and I had an RA that was only 5 turns from completing, but...

Alex denounced me as soon as the city sprouted up. He had allied with all 3 CS - but 2 of them wanted the other eliminated. So, I allied with those 2 and each time Alex threatened I gave him the "go to hell" answer. I wanted him to attack me because I was just about the get Artillery and Infantry (I already had Replaceable parts, just needed Rifling to complete) - but I didn't want the warmonger hate.

Well, that was going to come anyway since I planned on taking out that 3rd CS and becoming perma-allies with the other 2. Alex did declare and broke our RA - I didn't know at the time that I would end up one short with about 17 turns left on the last tech I needed. :( That earlier mistake with SH causing me to miss Freedom probably cost an extra GS that would've been able to get around this.

Alex managed to actually take down an Infantry (he had Himeji), but other than that the war went well and I he offered all his cities at the end. I had to sell many away to avoid the 50 unhappiness, but things got back in order and my financial situation was amazing after that.

I completed Apollo on turn 191, but was stuck waiting for the final RA to complete at turn 205. In that time I completed some wonders like Big Ben and accumulated a ton of cash. So I could buy Spaceship Factories and any other production buildings where needed at the end to speed things up.

I think my mistakes did cost at least 15 turns though. I think I was in a golden age for 75% of the game. LOL After rushing ND, I kept at least 1 copy of each resource until I hit the natural GA and built the TM, the Louvre and used 2 GGs on golden ages.

Reference number: 25634
Your name: numaru7
Your email: -
Game date: 1850AD
Turns played: 295
Base score: 1104
Final score: 1871
Time played: 2:22:00
Submitted save: TSG29_Turn 295 WIN.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C502901.Civ5Save

Well, played lazy, 2-nd city near washington, 3-rd was Capital of Askia, 4-th (which never even build a space ship part) between capital and askia.
Got all the usual wonders, forgot i'm playing Darius and didn't take the Chichen Itza.
Spammed Ra's all game long, No significant war's, didn't have time to build a lot of stuff in cities, At the end i got All the last 5 tech's except Nano in one Go with combination Of RA, oxford, 2 GS. After Spaceship factory's i realized i forgot the Apollo :)) - btw got the 8 aluminum hex from Washington with culture bombing from the 2 artists from Louvre.

Yeah, not gonna run this again because although i realize i can shave 50-60 turns off it it's not worth it :)... it was fun, even though i like permawar better :)

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0008.jpg
    Civ5Screen0008.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 139
Reference number: 25635
Your name: Hammer Rabbi

Game date: 1814AD
Turns played: 277
Base score: 970
Final score: 1763
Time played: 9:26:00

My first submission.

I had just a great start. All the wars against me were really just bad AI efforts. I did waste about 20 turns total building defensive units. After things started so well I was hoping for a sub-1800 win but really lost steam when 2 late RAs got cancelled, one from a DoW from Greece in the last 4 techs of the game, and one about 10 turns earlier from Askia when he got removed by Greece on its warpath toward me. It was another 12 turns or so to finish Sydney OH to pop my 2 free techs from rationalism to finish it off and start producing.

Still I'm pretty happy with this as ive never gotten a science vic with Persia. I have to say the plethora of mines made it so i didnt really need Spaceship Factories. All parts were still made in 16 turns without the SS factories and only because i only had 4 cities.

Policy trees were all of Liberty and Rationalism and 2 from Tradition (opener, legalism, oligarchy--this one came after the 2 free techs when it didnt matter anyway). Beakers were about 350 at peak and the rest came from lots of RAs. I screwed up a couple timings on the RAs. one time it finished off computers then atomic theory instead of progressing to the next one which was available by finishing computers.

Spoiler :
also, ive never restored a civ to existence but i got to that game. after Alex took out Askia he came after me, got whomped by my artillery, heli gunships, and tank. i took back 3 of his cities, accidentally annexing one of them and only restoring Askia's capital. Greece asked for peace a couple turns from victory. it was cool to win during a GA during peace time after restoring Askia to the world, haha.

I had about 5k gold and 180gpt from the final GA. I finished in a GA which is cool if you enjoy the historical immersion aspects of these games. I was pretty enamored with my glorious civilization not built on the spoils of war but built on Rationally learning of the world and it's mysteries. Woot.

edit: not sure why my screencap cropped off part of the info bar at the top. my screen was visibly just fine.

Pleased to note my 3 cities were in the same place as Monthar's; so I got something right, anyway.

Egypt launched in 1990.
I was probably 20-30 turns away still, and no way to stop him militarily.
wars:
Askia declared in Ancient and submitted soon after with tribute.
Hiawatha declared in classical; same thing. In this case not a shot fired.
Greece declared in turn 180. I destroyed over 100 greek units at sea, and a dozen on land, before finally making peace in turn 320. By giving him Almaty, which turned out to have been my moneymaker - I had $ trouble from then on. Probably should have kept warring. He declared again in turn 350; Nuked my coastal city 3 times ; still fighting at the end.
The war with America never came, which amazed me, but George was busy fighting most everyone else.
Egypt declared near the end but was easily held off.

Mainly I see I didn't do enough RA's, mostly due to fears of being warred on and wasting them.

I had the final techs ready to bulb from the Sci revolution and a saved GS, figuring to study Nano while everything else was building.

Alex missed a Diplo by 1 point 4 turns prior to the launch of Space Chariot.
added: England was wiped out T265 , Russia had only one city on one of those mid-Ocean islands.

It was going great, turn 210 and I am getting ready to build an oil platform off the coast for Susa, same locations as Monthar, just different settle order. I have 6 GS.

T211 - England want to renew open borders, but only wants to pay 43 gold.
T212 - Hiawatha only wants to pay 209g for silver.

I start building units. I have 2 artillery, 2 rifles, 2 crossbows, infantry, frigate, caravel.

214 - Russia eliminates Egypt, cancelling my RA due on 216.

217 - I find a massive fleet of Greeks invading Susa, 6 Frigates + 12 LS/MM

218 - Greeks declare war ( RA due in 230)
220 - Americans declare war ( RA due in 225 )
222 - England piles on
I take 1 American city
I take a second American city

227 - Songhai piles on
228 - 2 cities lost, 3rd surrounded by 12 units from Songhai/Greece.
England attack beaten back from capital, relief column was nearly to 2nd city lost.

I might have been able to salvage it just from the capital, but would have needed to build everything there.

Date submitted: 2012-02-04
Your name: Tabarnak
Game date: 1540AD
Turns played: 218
Base score: 1935
Final score: 4500
Time played: 4:00:00
Submitted save: Darius I_0218 AD-1540.Civ5Save

Very fun game. Sorry all, i recorded from turn 175 to 201 in 1 shot and i can't read it(i recorded over 2 GB in 1 file again...stupid me). I put the replay file(part 5) at the end to let you see what happened.

From turn 175 to 201 :

A little but very strong army of infantry units advanced very rapidly through land and destroyed almost everything on his path. Only Greece's capital standed at the end, I completely wiped out Washington in the beginning, making every AI driving crazy and hostile against me. It turned very good despite not signing any RAs since turn 145. During this phase, i rush buyed a lot of factories and public school but conquered a lot of cities from turn 160 to 200. That's almost only that, with some wonders. Enjoy the vids(i will edit this post in next days)

Edit : Hmm i got another problem. Up to turn 70 it's not working either. I mixed the first 2 parts and it doesn't seem to work again. I deleted the initial files and i can't recover them :(. It will be from turn 70 to 175, then 201 to 218.

Resume of first 70 turns : Went lux techs in the beginning then the GL with 2 cities, second one building a library. Then NC in capital. 2 more cities right and left, after iron working i rushed Washington...completely. I don't know what i was thinking at this point, i should have left one(New York) and let him alive. But it was like just a bit more challenging after all...just a bit.

Edit 2 : Now i have some problems at transforming the second part from movie maker into a video i can upload to youtube (93 to 127). Always stop at 88% of completion, i will try tomorrow to upload it for around turn 121 instead. That's the first time i see movie maker going lazy with a legit file.

Going to be :

Part 1 : Turn 70 to 93
Part 2 : Turn 94 to 121(worked :))
Part 3 : Turn 128 to 175
Part 4: Turn 201 to 209
Part 5 : Turn 210 to 218

I'm sad because the best part is from turn 160 to 200, the ''Fus ro dah'' situation starring 4 brave infantry units! :)

Date submitted: 2012-02-05
Reference number: 25647
Your name: tomaalimosh
Your email: Moderator Action: removed email for secuitry reasons
Game date: 1900AD
Turns played: 320
Base score: 2139
Final score: 3342
Time played: 11:38:00
Submitted save: Darius I_0320 AD-1900.Civ5Save

Embarrassing. I keep falling for this... I was doing great, 3 cities, got most of the wonders, and then Alex attacks. I fought him back, got a few of his cities, and then some of his, allied CC, and kept pressing on hoping he would sue for peace giving me ... stuff. I don't know how you guys manage to do it... with me he kept asking for my stuff for peace, even as I was getting a city from him every other turn. I finally got peace for nothing, because Washington attacked. I fought him , got all of his cities, liberated a few CC-s, one of them was still allied with greece after I liberated it :mad:. At no point did this guy even try to make peace with me offering me anything... Anyway... all this warmongering has delayed my research focus, and coupled with the wrong social policy path... got me to finish THIS late.

Managed to get a non stop GA with Chichen Itza, representation, Taj Mahal and three Generals. It lasted ages... literally :p. Very useful at wartime... probably why I kept telling myself... just one more city conquered...

Was still fun though... never played Darius before, but definitely will from now on. Those GA's are awesome.

Your name: clint0601
Game date: 1780AD
Turns played: 266
Base score: 679
Final score: 1281
Time played: 2:27:00

Very fun game, I stayed peaceful/friendly with everyone except for England who had a problem with me for no reason until the end when everyone realized I was going to win and decided to declare on me.

Placed 3 cities, next to the 3 mountains just like some others in this GOTM. The limiting factor for me was the last 2 techs, I bulbed all my GS to the apollo program, used Scientific Rev for 2 more techs, then I has to wait 20 turns for my last RA to come in and for another GS from a city. With only 3 cities those very last techs took 30-40 turns with only 3 cities. =/ Still, a very good game by my standards, since I've never won a science on Emperor.

All the parts only took about 8 turns each to build, built 2 in Washington, 2 in Boston and 1 in New York.

Reference number: 25650
Your name: Banman
Your email:
Game date: 1860AD
Turns played: 300
Base score: 1493
Final score: 2488
Time played: 5:13:00
Submitted save: TSG29finDarius I_0300 AD-1860.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Banman_C502901.Civ5Save

great fun! I've been slamming my head against deity for so long it felt like fresh air at emperor ... I'd forgotten how persia's golden ages can overpower even a moderately sized army! Settled in place, put pasagardae south to block off the approach, then susa next to a mountain in the far NE to block America (turned out not to block them, they settled between susa and persepolis, but when war eventually came I just puppeted and later annexed their two cities in between). Ecbaton went ESE on the coast to give me a port, and I focused on Glib, NatColl to get research rolling. Was able to get a DOF with Washington before I settled Susa, that kept us friendly for a really really long time. Never had any real trouble with any of the southern nations ... Egypt threatened to run away in my game (pretty much had top population, land, etc. for the whole game). Egypt asked me to fight Elizabeth, which I did -- that's when a Golden Aged-Persian swords + catapults army reminded me of knife going through butter :) took half of England, popped another city near the coastal wine. Ended up fighting at least two wars late with Egypt, both in my favor. In the first one I took the rest of the English cities (which had been conquered by Egypt) and a few other cities they had conquered in the middle of the continent. Second one they declared, then almost immediately sued for peace when my tanks and rocket artillery set up shop on the border.

Altogether, certainly a non-optimum course (didn't manage my RAs tightly, popped my GS's as I went ... even had one pop right before the win) but a hell of a lot of fun ...

Top Bottom