Question for seasoned vets: how fast are cities building stuff?

MBison

Chieftain
I'm a civ newbie.. in my fourth game, I started making sure I connected everything with roads.. I mean everything... and it seemed to pan out with much better city management. My best city was creating military units in like 2-3 turns, some things in just 1 turn. Is this the normal for most season vets strongest cities?

MBison said:
I'm a civ newbie.. in my fourth game, I started making sure I connected everything with roads.. I mean everything... and it seemed to pan out with much better city management. My best city was creating military units in like 2-3 turns, some things in just 1 turn. Is this the normal for most season vets strongest cities?

Sure. Depending on the city's specialization, buildings, tiles, (what time period) and even your own civ's traits, you can even do better. Take FDR - industrious, organized, and your bad *** production city, which could have a forge and lots of tiles with hammers, maybe with a nice civic, like organized religion (-25% build time on buildings) or a nice wonder (hero epic - 100% faster build time for military units) and you can be cranking out buildings and powerful units in a turn or two and wonders in less than 10. Nothing like having stone, marble, a forge, being industrious and organized, and having a big production city to bust out wonders in as much time as it takes to build a settler.

But it all depends on how you design your city. If you're careful, you can do the same thing, but for commerce. Have a city that's busting out 50+ commerce a turn, then throw all your financial and research improvements in there and, rake in hundred of beakers or gold a turn from just one city. A city that can give you almost 300 beakers a turn by the end of the mideival period makes that production city look like nothing, if you ask me. :)

Err, the game has been out for like 3-4 days - dunno how many seasoned vets there are.

You need to link your cities by road if they're not linked by rivers so they can create trade routes, which helps your income. (you can trade by sea with coastal cities too eventually) You also need this "linkage network" so that all your cities can share resources you hook up.

You need to link up resources like cows, horses, metals, etc by road too or you don't get the extra benefit of them (for ex, wheat yields more food when you put a farm on it, but if you link it by road it adds health to every city that's in your linkage "network." (if you just put a farm on said wheat and hover over it you'll a line of the popup will indicate that it's not linked). For some resources, like stone that adds serious production benefits for some buildings and wonders, this linkage is very critcal.

I don't road/rail every tile, but I usually do a lot of them (more than I need for basic linkage) just to facilitate efficient worker and troop movement.

So, perhaps you didn't always get all your resources and cities properly linked and hooked up til your fourth game. <shrug>

That and some cities are just more productive than others due to the balance of food and production tiles.

Zhahz said:
Err, the game has been out for like 3-4 days - dunno how many seasoned vets there are.
Lol its just a short season, and considering some of the time some of those people spent playing it on their first day you could have quite a lot of time spent on the computer playing it:)

Top Bottom