Windows 8

s.bernbaum

Mostly lurking
Has anyone used Windows 8 yet with CIV? I'm curious about whether or not CIV works properly under Windows 8 or not. As you all know, at some point in the steady march of OS "upgrades" older games stop working properly, if at all.

Sorry to say it but my pc I just bought failed to install [civ4]. Which is bad because I have mods to help! I was planning on trying again, so I will let you know if I get it to work.
Fingers Crossed!

I'll Stick to 7 for now. I stayed in Win2K until the very last moment too, before moving to WinXP.

See : Installing Civ 4 on Windows 7/Vista (32-/64-bit)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408537

Kiwitt's trick works fine for WINDOWS 8 64bits too.
Including Mods like the famous Rise of Mankind-A New Dawn (ROM-AND 1.74D) whose infamous 32bit memory limit has (not yet) bothered me anymore to play on and on and ......
Do mind to do exactly what is in the OP recipe!

Has anyone used Windows 8 yet with CIV? I'm curious about whether or not CIV works properly under Windows 8 or not. As you all know, at some point in the steady march of OS "upgrades" older games stop working properly, if at all.

Windows 8.1 no issues with Civ IV installing and patching up to 3.19 for BTS. Didn't install warlords though.

-Cphobes

Additional advice on installing Civ IV on Windows 8.1:

After installing Civ IV Gold Edition DVD straight onto a Windows 8.1 laptop I got a missing d3dx9_32.dll error which was expected. So I downloaded the missing .dll from http://www.dll-files.com/ (32-bit, manual fix) and placed it directly into the "Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete" folder.

Now it seemed to start correctly for a moment then choked with the dreaded "error loading shader libraries" message. I've already had Civ IV running through Linux/Wine and seemed to recall having to load more than one d3dx9 .dll file to get that to work. So I also downloaded d3dx9_31.dll (32-bit) and put that in too and Presto!

That did the trick. Mind you this was a regular "Program Files (x86)" install. There was no need to make a separate "Games" folder on the C: drive. I didn't need to install it/run it as administrator nor launch the program any sort of compatibility mode. It just worked.

Thought I'd pass this along particularly since the game launch will tell you about the missing d3dx9_32.dll but gives you no clue about d3dx9_31.dll just the mysterious shader library error. Just be sure the .dlls you download are the 32-bit versions or they won't work. Hopefully this helps.

Top Bottom