[Map Script] SpiralGalaxy.py for Final Frontier

cephalo

Deity
This map creates a random spiral galaxy for Final Frontier. Most of the resources are toward the center of the galaxy, while most of the habitable planets are toward the ends of the spiral arms.

Download here

Put this file in Civilization4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Final Frontier\PrivateMaps folder. Also, this map requires the default map FinalFrontier.py to be in the same directory, as it uses the starting plot code from that script.

Version History:
1.01 - Fixed a multiplayer bug

Attachments

• SG Standard Overview.jpg
    SG Standard Overview.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7,735
  • SG Huge Overview.jpg
    SG Huge Overview.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7,021
Looks nice. :cooool:
Do you reckon it will decrease the amount of solar systems? They seem to cluster around the arms (which is normal of course).

Looks nice. :cooool:
Do you reckon it will decrease the amount of solar systems? They seem to cluster around the arms (which is normal of course).

There still might be some adjustments needed in regards to the default number of players vs. the map size. I've played through some exploratory phase games, and it seemed ok. In comparison to the default map, this map has alot more unusable map tiles, so it needs to be somewhat bigger.

One concern I still have is the value of starting near the center vs. starting on the outside. I haven't determined how big of an advantage it is to start near the resource rich center. The idea is that the planets will be fewer and farther apart in the middle, but maybe that's not nearly as much of a hindrance as having few resources.

Outstanding. I've wanted a map like this for a long time, but the thought of making it daunted me.

Thank you cephalo! I was looking for a spiral galaxy map but a map script is much better :)

Looks sweet. I can't wait to try it. If this is as good as PerfectWorld and Creation, I'll have to go sleepless for a long time.

Cephalo, is it possible to change this to a 'global' maptype?

You mean a public map? Right now it does need the starting plot code from FinalFrontier.py, but if you wanted you could probably put both of those files anywhere that you need them. I probably should just copy and paste the needed code right out of FinalFrontier.

No, global like in when going off the map on the westside with a unit you enter on the eastside with it.
I know there's little need with the way the nebula forms on this maptype, but a small passage (or even several passages through the middle of the nebula) would be nice. :please:

No, global like in when going off the map on the westside with a unit you enter on the eastside with it.
I know there's little need with the way the nebula forms on this maptype, but a small passage (or even several passages through the middle of the nebula) would be nice. :please:

Hmm, that wouldn't make much sense for a spiral galaxy, but if you want, you can modify the getWrapX and getWrapY functions and set them to return 'True'. That should give you what you are looking for.

Cephalo must have had a vision with the Civilization god to tell him to make this script.

Behold for it is the best. FF mod firing up!

Just a thought, maybe balance resource density with pirates. Make the rate of pirate appearance directly proportional to resource density. And if possible have the pirates seek to move towards areas rich in resources, and make them less likely to appear on the fringe arms.

T
One concern I still have is the value of starting near the center vs. starting on the outside. I haven't determined how big of an advantage it is to start near the resource rich center. The idea is that the planets will be fewer and farther apart in the middle, but maybe that's not nearly as much of a hindrance as having few resources.

:trophy2:Great work Cephalo!!!:trophy2:

I just test-played it and is a very good map script!, I'm working in a team making a Babylon 5 mod for FF, and wanted to ask for your permission to distribute your map script with the mod (proper credit given of course).

And I also ask for other galaxy types scripts.

:cheers:

:trophy2:Great work Cephalo!!!:trophy2:

I just test-played it and is a very good map script!, I'm working in a team making a Babylon 5 mod for FF, and wanted to ask for your permission to distribute your map script with the mod (proper credit give of course).

And I also ask for other galaxy types scripts.

:cheers:

Go ahead and use it, and thanks for the compliment!

Top Bottom