Deity - Skilldorado - what now?

So I am trying my hand at a deity game for a change (usually I play Immortal) and while I failed with Russia miserable, I am going for Babylon as I really want a science victory and not necessarily domination.

I started this map and on turn 3 I find Skilldorado with my Warrior. On turn 4 I get Archery from a ruin. Jackpot!

I saved the game and tried some different approaches from there, all ending in misery a few dozen turns later (I am playing quick, small, continents). Ghandi and the Inca are like super close to my left and to my right is barren wasteland. As you might have guessed, the Incas swarm me soon enough with a gazillion units. While I managed to repel the first war with some Bowmen, the second time around he DOWs me I am simply toast.

I will reload the save and try again, as I like the map and ofc the Skilldorado. I am not a Deity expert so I don't mind getting a little boost. My question is now, what should I buy with the 500g I get on turn 3?

I tried allying the Maritime CS I found but realized that this isn't smart, as I cannot support the massive growth boost with happiness so early in the game. So should I buy my military while building library, temple? I thought maybe early workers to improve the two mining luxes I have close by or a settler to settle a semi-decent spot (for the lack of alternatives close by) across the river (but close to Ghandi)? I will also only get 2 iron next to my capital, so upgraded swordsmen from warriors are limited.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well since you also got Archery, you might buy 3-4 Bowmen and go capture some cities (you probably should only dow one player though and leave him a single city before making peace). 200g each afaik - so 500 plus whatever you have and selling your income will be enough for at least 3.

OP is playing QUICK, so 3 archer is easy but in quick the deity AI spawning units like if no tomorrow (or next turn)

Maybe try buying a settler and go defenzive. Also you can attach the save and maybe we can try it :)

Yeah, I guess quick is going to be a hassle. I was wondering when Fing Lei was suggesting "take a couple of cities". Inca has like a massive army by the time I moved my archers over there.

I was planning on defensive play with science focus.

P.S. any method to restart this same map with standard speed? I might have an easier time. I don't know how/if map saving works.

OP is playing QUICK, so 3 archer is easy but in quick the deity AI spawning units like if no tomorrow (or next turn)
So is defender. Usually I buy a worker followed by another one or a settler with help of my own cash, however since the OP already knows what's gonna happen, rushing archers is more reasonable.

As a side note: I wouldn't kill myself to succeed on this map. Somehow desperate trying to take advantage of a "good" start by replaying it over and over again never seems to work. Not for me anyways, so I stopped doing that a long time ago. Skilldorado or not, there is a reason why you don't succeed on your first attempt and most likely it's because the map is very difficult up to unplayable. Not every deity map is playable, even with El-Dorado. I understand that tossing such a gift stings, but if it doesn't go once, doesn't go twice - forget about it and move on. Maybe you won't have Skilldorado on the next map but at least you will be able to play it. And will get few pleasant surprises as well. Every game brings few of those. :)

From what you describe I would certainly buy two bowmen, then another when you have the cash built up. Don't bother about buying or stealing a worker, you'll capture one or two from your target.

Build bowman after monument, take Liberty - Worker and chop out another bowman or two (if you have some forest). I don't play quick, but on standard I can tell you that if what you describe happens (I've had this happen a few times) then it is a 100% smackdown on that civ that's close to you. On standard you'll have the capital and their other city before turn 50 without fail if you're familiar with unit control tactics when archer rushing.

If there's no civ very close to you, unlike what you're saying is in your game, then I would buy a settler. That's what I think is the general standard play, but IMO 2 archers and a fast focused attack is the better play if you have a close civ nearby.

That kind of start certainly makes it tempting to go early aggressive. However Inca is a pain to go after early since it ends up in an archer-based fight. The bowman isn't as effective here. Gandhi might be a better choice.

Can you post screenshots and/or your start save so we can give some more local strategic advise?

If you can put another city near a choke point go for it. Settle on a luxury mine if possible. Sell it and rush archers with 2 cities.

I would like to see the save :)

Hey
Thanks all for the advice. It would be interesting to see you take a stab at it and if you succeed I can learn where I went wrong. I will post the save later (am on mobile now) and if you feel like we can make this an educative thread :)

I tried going defensive but Inca is becoming too strong and is dead set on wasting me. Also I do lack good city spots so it's not such a great start after all if it weren't for the free gold and archery tech.

Be back laters.

Cheers

It would be interesting to see you take a stab at it and if you succeed I can learn where I went wrong. I will post the save later (am on mobile now) and if you feel like we can make this an educative thread :)

I'm interested in trying it out

Alright, here's the save.
It's quick speed, so keep that in mind.

Move your initial warrior straight left and on turn three you will find Skilldorado. The ruin just next to it should give you Archery. From there it is up to you.

If anyone plays this, at least to a solid or winnable position, please post some pointers or tactics of what you did. I am very interested in seeing how the deity pros in here would play this.

Some questions that linger:
How do you leverage the 500g plus Archery tech that you get so early?
Where do you place your 2nd and subsequent cities. I find good spots hard to find especially with limited additional resources. You will have tons of gold/gems, but additional resources are hard to come by, at least in close proximity.

Spoiler :
(yes, I did go for that silver up there and Ghandi didn't even mind)

Cheers and enjoy!

Attachments

• Nebuchadnezzar II_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    373.3 KB · Views: 49
Can't open the save. Do you play with the wonder pack?

So I am trying my hand at a deity game for a change (usually I play Immortal) and while I failed with Russia miserable, I am going for Babylon as I really want a science victory and not necessarily domination.

I started this map and on turn 3 I find Skilldorado with my Warrior. On turn 4 I get Archery from a ruin. Jackpot!

I saved the game and tried some different approaches from there, all ending in misery a few dozen turns later (I am playing quick, small, continents). Ghandi and the Inca are like super close to my left and to my right is barren wasteland. As you might have guessed, the Incas swarm me soon enough with a gazillion units. While I managed to repel the first war with some Bowmen, the second time around he DOWs me I am simply toast.

I will reload the save and try again, as I like the map and ofc the Skilldorado. I am not a Deity expert so I don't mind getting a little boost. My question is now, what should I buy with the 500g I get on turn 3?

Current Emperor game as Persia, found El Dorado about the same time. I bought alliance with Belgrade. Extra military units right at the start of the game are probably a must, and chances are you'll get 500 gc worth, albeit not immediately.

Current Emperor game as Persia, found El Dorado about the same time. I bought alliance with Belgrade. Extra military units right at the start of the game are probably a must, and chances are you'll get 500 gc worth, albeit not immediately.

That's not a bad idea, altho with the speed that Inca is bashing on me, I can as well buy my own units (140 per bowman) and get more out of it short term.

It's a bit like starting with a Kalashnikov in CS when everyone else starts with a Knife only.

It's (as well as the Fountain of Youth) not really a problem when playing vs the AI (oh well... still kinda unfair in CFC Gauntlets) but in Multiplayer it's just a totally unreasonable luck dependent unfair advantage. I heard people usually leave when they saw someone else found El Dorado.

-------------------------------------

Remember when some weeks ago we had the opportunity to ask questions to a dev concerning G&K? I just had a superb question come to my mind right now:
"Will we finally be able to disallow FoY and Skilldorado from spawning on the map via game options or will you balance them 'a bit better'? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

It's a bit like starting with a Kalashnikov in CS when everyone else starts with a Knife only.

It's (as well as the Fountain of Youth) not really a problem when playing vs the AI (oh well... still kinda unfair in CFC Gauntlets) but in Multiplayer it's just a totally unreasonable luck dependent unfair advantage. I heard people usually leave when they saw someone else found El Dorado.

-------------------------------------

Remember when some weeks ago we had the opportunity to ask questions to a dev concerning G&K? I just had a superb question come to my mind right now:
"Will we finally be able to disallow FoY and Skilldorado from spawning on the map via game options or will you balance them 'a bit better'? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Thanks alot, so it's a pun rather than real skill. Isabella had better not get lucky :D

@prince_caspian
Yes, it is more like a pun. 500g right off the bat (i.e. turn 3 in my case) is quite something. With ISabella that would have been 1000g which is insane.

t24: Inca eliminated. Normally I leave the AI with one city but never a capital.

Rush-bought 4 and built 3 bowmen. One was upgraded to a crossbowman from a ruin (!). This must be the luckiest start ever.

It was funny, Pachachuti nearly had any units at all. He built the Colossus in Cusco while he was under total siege. Why? Idiot AI

So now I can do pretty much anything from here. I've researched IW and as you can see I have tons of iron all around. So domination obviously has high potential. But a science victory is of course also very possible. India must be taken down though. They usually grow very large and it's good to cripple them early. The world will probably hate me but I've only met Persia until now so I don't think future AI acquaintances will care.

Will play on a bit more and see how it progresses.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• CFC_Neb1.jpg
    CFC_Neb1.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Top Bottom