Europe 10 civs (128x80)

Bohemus

Chieftain
Here is the link to the finished version
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110265&stc=1&d=1136400977

the latest version is attached at the bottom of this post

Latest changes:
04.01.06: Added more forest, tundra, and ice above the Arctic Circle in Russia. Extended the forested areas on the Kola Peninsula and the White Sea to encourage players to settle in a more realistic pattern. Converted some peaks in Italy, Greece and Spain to hills. Moved the Mongolian starting point to the west, away from the edge of the map. Flood plains have been added along the Nile, Tigris, Euphrates and Jordan rivers. Added more Fish, Crab and a few Clam bonuses to the more barren coastal areas.

This is my first post and first civ IV map so so hopefully I am doing this in the correct manner.

Here are two screen of the minimap for the europe map I made from scratch

here is the minimap before I put in mountains or specific terrain and starting units/cities.

here is the loaded minimap after putting in all of the terrain and starting cities.
the civs i put in are:
greece
russia
germany
england
spain
france
rome
egypt
persia
arabia
mongolia

I made this map because I wanted something larger than the other Europe maps created and more geograpically accurate (not that the others are wrong). I did take three liberties on the map mostly because of the 128x90 limitation, the starting locations of mongolia, persia and arabia have been relocated because of the map cut-off. the mongols start east of the caspian, near where tashkent and samarkand would be found. the arabs start in Jerusalem, and the persians start in baghdad.
I started each civ with a scout and a worker located in your city. there are a number of barbarian cities located in areas such as Istanbul, Dublin, Stockholm and elsewhere.
I just finished the final details and am going to play through the map a few times tonight before I post a downloadable version.

feedback and suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks.

Attachments

• nakedminimap.jpg
    nakedminimap.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6,589
  • loadedminimap.jpg
    loadedminimap.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 8,166
  • Eurobohemus.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,240
looks good but u should add more of the east abecause you have all that empty water near spain anyway...but looks great cant wait to try...

Ok after playing through it twice and making some resource changes I am going to go ahead and post this. I tried my best to be as realistic and accurate with the geography and resources so hopefully someone will enjoy this map.

I attached three screens for people who want to get an idea of the scale

Attachments

• northwest.jpg
    northwest.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,693
  • southeast.jpg
    southeast.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,417
  • italycloser.jpg
    italycloser.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,326
  • Eurobohemus.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 673
nice map played some with rome yesterday...only request..the turks should be added...

seems like a ton of peaks in Italy and Greece.

Great map, one of the most detailed Civ4 Europe map I have seen. Just a couple of suggestions.

1. You might want to move the starting spot of the Mongolian city one tile to the left, otherwise, it is too close to the cut-off border, meaning the city starts with 3 blank spots within its city radius.

2. Add much more plains and tundra to the north, particularlly in Russia, as there is just too much abundance of food in that area compare to the realistic food output. This also helps with balance issues.

Keep up the good work.

-G'day-

Hey Bohemus, thanks for the great map once again, I really enjoyed it. One thing though, I think for such a large map, the setting for game time should be changed from Normal to Epic. As I was playing an Epic game, but my game ended in the 1800's instead of 2050 and 1/3 of the land was not even occupied by anyone yet. Thus for such a large map, I recommend the time setting to change to atleast that of Epics. Just a suggestion for a better game play, thanks.

-G'day-

One of the best maps posted here. Great job!

Some suggestions:

How about some goodie huts?

Why not name the barbarians after historic groups rather than modern day cities? For example, Lydians in Western Turkey and Berbers in Morocco rather than Ankara and Casablanca.

Some sheep in Greece.

There seem to be too many flood plains. This really should be found just in the Nile and Tigris and Euphrates, in my opinion. Flood plains are places where rivers flood leaving highly fertile soil on the ground. The Nile is the prime example of this. The Tigris and Euphrates and the Indus River are really the other main examples of this, from what I know.

I'd like it if the map went a bit futher south to get some more of the Nile, if nothing else.

I would suggest looking at a book like _The Times Atlas of World History_. It is fascinating. It will help you with placement of resources -- letting you know where the Roman empire imported its iron from, etc.

I think there should be more forests North and East of the Tigris and Euphrates. From what I understand, these used to exist until chopped down in ancient times.

Again, great job! I'm enjoying a game as the Greeks on Immortal as we seak. I've got the Pyramids and Great Lighthouse.

The deer should probably be in forest. That's where they like to hang out.

-- The Hypnotoad

I have a lot modified the map for to render it more real in Italy, Hiberic peninsula and in to Black Sea. Sure in a therefore big map they would serve other civilizations like Poland, Turkey, Ukraine, Carthago, Israel, South Slavs nations etc.
In effects it's not much pretty one to give to the Arabs Jerusalem like capital...

How I make to load my modified map?

I don't know what 128 by 80 translates to (huge, standard,etc.). Could someone clue me in?

looks a great map but my pc really struggling with it, ive turned graphics down but still struggling.

Any ideas for speeding it up?

C-Kompii said:
Hey Bohemus, thanks for the great map once again, I really enjoyed it. One thing though, I think for such a large map, the setting for game time should be changed from Normal to Epic. As I was playing an Epic game, but my game ended in the 1800's instead of 2050 and 1/3 of the land was not even occupied by anyone yet. Thus for such a large map, I recommend the time setting to change to atleast that of Epics. Just a suggestion for a better game play, thanks.

-G'day-

Open the map in notepad and delete the line that says Maxturns=460

Hey Bohemus, what program do you use to make these maps? I love the map but would like to adjust it a bit to the south and east to give africa and the middle east a little bit more area and lose some of the northern area. It seems to me that the african and middle east civs are getting the short end of the stick.

I have tried using the map editor in the utility forums but I guess I just don't know how to use it properly as I can't add and land mass to the black areas and can't take away from the area I want to either. Other than wanting to adjust it a bit it is a very good map of the area. Thanks for your help and hard work.

feel free to make any changes you want, glad someone is playing my map.

to make makes i usually use the civ4editor to start:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144414
i will draw out the coastlines, then place desert and plains. after that i use the civ world editor for everything else, you could use civ4editor for everything but i prefer the world editor.
my only suggestion would be not to open a map in civ4editor after placing rivers, because if you save it then direction and junctions will get miscommunicated, sometimes an extra length of river will continue into the sea, i'm not sure why but it's happened a number of times. so keep that in mind if you edit with civ4editor, just plan on going back over the rivers in world editor

the idea of this map of yours is good really. i really would like to play it. i was also thinking about a similar map as the normal europe maps are small. but your map is geographically not accurate neither, bro.

* i don't see enough hills in this map. everywhere is not just plains in europe. moreover, hammer production will be a problem.

*comment on civs; delete egypt, persia, mongolia and arabs as all 4 are all stuck in a very narrow location. instead; just create ottomans starting in Istanbul or Arabs starting in Baghdad for ex.

* russian mainland, iberia, caucasia and anatolia are smaller than the real.
* black sea, france is much larger than the real.
For ex: black sea is as big as anatolia :) and france from north to south, is as long as russia from north to south.

* the overall map ratio doesn't seem correct. it could be sth like 0.6 instead of 0.7 or sth. And the ratio you set is not the same everywhere as well. As I talked about france/russia matter.

Uhm. I'd change the Appennines to hills: the only high mountains in Italy are the Alps, the higher of the Appennines is around 1500 meters...

Top Bottom