Nighthawk419
Eclipse4449
dogboy

map size:140x84 (tested)
difficulty:noble/prince
advanced start: 2500
no barbs
no goodies huts
tech trading yes (must research tech in order to trade)
tech brokering no (can trade any tech you acquire)
require complete kills
no tech diffusion
start as minor civs

victory:
conquest
domination
cultural
religious
diplomatic

Doing a 2500 point advances start for 3 civs in a row takes forever and my god is it TIRING... I can't tell whether we are in teams or just separate civs at this point either. I took a different approach than normal for me with my last civ and of course it tops the scoreboard (at least from what I saw) ha... I'll be interested to see how this plays out!

Doing a 2500 point advances start for 3 civs in a row takes forever and my god is it TIRING... I can't tell whether we are in teams or just separate civs at this point either. I took a different approach than normal for me with my last civ and of course it tops the scoreboard (at least from what I saw) ha... I'll be interested to see how this plays out!

In my experience if you top the scoreboard on an advanced start that means you lost likely plopped down a lot of cities. Not always the case, but most likely the case. Prepare for a slow tech rate now.

In my experience if you top the scoreboard on an advanced start that means you lost likely plopped down a lot of cities. Not always the case, but most likely the case. Prepare for a slow tech rate now.
a lot of culture, population or tech will do that to.

a lot of culture, population or tech will do that to.

True, however...

More culture usually comes from more cities. It gets very expensive after the first cultural expansion.

More population usually comes from more cities. It gets expensive to put more and more pop in cities. And I don't believe more pop in cities gives more points than more cities.

Tech does give points. But once again, it gets more expensive to buy more techs after tier 1. And I don't believe the cost of spending starting gold on tech gives as many points as more cities. I may be wrong on this one.

Anyway, just my guess. We will find out during the replay. Unless Nighthawk wants to divulge his secret :D

True, however...

More culture usually comes from more cities. It gets very expensive after the first cultural expansion.

More population usually comes from more cities. It gets expensive to put more and more pop in cities. And I don't believe more pop in cities gives more points than more cities.

Tech does give points. But once again, it gets more expensive to buy more techs after tier 1. And I don't believe the cost of spending starting gold on tech gives as many points as more cities. I may be wrong on this one.

Anyway, just my guess. We will find out during the replay. Unless Nighthawk wants to divulge his secret :D

Oh I'm not afraid to say that I generally try to squeeze as many cities in as I can with an advanced start. Land = Power. Plus you can only have 2 units in a city, so with only 1 city you are limited to 2 units, with more cities you can start with more units! I consider myself very big on REXING early and often! If there is decent land available I grab it and worry about my economy later... within reason of course.

But it was funny that my third approach topped the scoreboard at the beginning because I went with only ONE city - the land laid out nice for a SUPER POWER CAPITAL haha... so I dropped only the 1 city and then bulked it up as much as I could and it ended up with a better score than the first 2 civs with multiple cities! Of course its a 4 pop city right off the bat, but still...:goodjob:

Oh I'm not afraid to say that I generally try to squeeze as many cities in as I can with an advanced start. Land = Power. Plus you can only have 2 units in a city, so with only 1 city you are limited to 2 units, with more cities you can start with more units! I consider myself very big on REXING early and often! If there is decent land available I grab it and worry about my economy later... within reason of course.

But it was funny that my third approach topped the scoreboard at the beginning because I went with only ONE city - the land laid out nice for a SUPER POWER CAPITAL haha... so I dropped only the 1 city and then bulked it up as much as I could and it ended up with a better score than the first 2 civs with multiple cities! Of course its a 4 pop city right off the bat, but still...:goodjob:

Well as I said I may be wrong. And in this case it looks like I may have been wrong. A pop 4 city alone will not bring in that big score. My guess is that civ is more advanced than your other two civs.

Hope I get the save soon.

Well as I said I may be wrong. And in this case it looks like I may have been wrong. A pop 4 city alone will not bring in that big score. My guess is that civ is more advanced than your other two civs.
Hope I get the save soon.

This would be correct sir! More advanced but less units... its score started higher but I expect the other 2 will have their scores climb faster for the next 10-20 turns or so.

This would be correct sir! More advanced but less units... its score started higher but I expect the other 2 will have their scores climb faster for the next 10-20 turns or so.
hmm you maybe surprised.

move one and Nighthawk419 has abandon his tied and trued formula for a night on the town w/ a pretty girl, finds he may even get lucky. congrats!!!!

Whats the % water on the map? I played a game that was something like 60 or 70% land and that was a disaster even on regularly huge map... WAY too much space, we have 18 civs and every single one had about 20+ cities. Conquest was unpossible. And that was BEFORE we learned of LOR and the super huge maps. I like to keep it standard 60-70% water after that debacle.

Yes, there will be plenty of space, but generally I prefer to have one of the larger empires out there if at all possible.... land = power, and if theres more land out there for everyone, then you just need more land to have more power. That just means the ancient and classical era wars will be nonexistent for me, thats all!

Whats the % water on the map? I played a game that was something like 60 or 70% land and that was a disaster even on regularly huge map... WAY too much space, we have 18 civs and every single one had about 20+ cities. Conquest was unpossible. And that was BEFORE we learned of LOR and the super huge maps. I like to keep it standard 60-70% water after that debacle.

Yes, there will be plenty of space, but generally I prefer to have one of the larger empires out there if at all possible.... land = power, and if theres more land out there for everyone, then you just need more land to have more power. That just means the ancient and classical era wars will be nonexistent for me, thats all!

hmm couldn't tell you exactly but the setting was more than 40%. main change i made was fewer continents

unfortunately i dont think that is the problem. Dogboy and i had a problem like this when starting the 1st game i tried using the 164x108 size it crashed then i just went to a huge map and played on. eclipse, dogboy and i are currently running a 140x88 map w/ seemly no problems, besides the weird thing Thunderbird did (can't open any other game file thru that account either). w/ all that said i just created a new game w/ a 140x88 map and 50-60% water. sry for the hiccup.

We will get this going eventually! Hopefully nobody gets a bad start this time and all the settings are correct.

I just got 3880BC, which is the same turn I got the other day. Somebody needs to play and send the current turn.

Top Bottom