Nukes in Civ 5.

In the civ 4 add on pack Beyond the Sword one of my fav tactics was to load tactical nukes into subs and then hide them somewhere far away from the eyes of potential enemies, and then in case I was attacked I used them to launch unexpected nuclear attacks directly at the aggressors homeland a mere few turns after they invaded! :eek:

Is stuff like this still possible in Civ 5? And does the game also have normal ICBM's and tactical nukes or just ICBM's like vanilla Civ 4 did? I really hope it isn't the later because the normal ICBM nukes always became completely useless in Civ 4 the moment everybody had constructed anti-nuke defenses. :(

Oh! And one last thing, are the guided rockets from BTS in Civ 5? They could be extremely useful when loaded into ships as it allowed me bombard enemy province improvements into ashes thus weakening the enemy economy (and unlike aircraft they could not be shot down).

In the civ 4 add on pack Beyond the Sword one of my fav tactics was to load tactical nukes into subs and then hide them somewhere far away from the eyes of potential enemies, and then in case I was attacked I used them to launch unexpected nuclear attacks directly at the aggressors homeland a mere few turns after they invaded! :eek:

Is stuff like this still possible in Civ 5?

yes

And does the game also have normal ICBM's and tactical nukes or just ICBM's like vanilla Civ 4 did?

no. only tactical nukes (bombs & missiles).

Oh! And one last thing, are the guided rockets from BTS in Civ 5? They could be extremely useful when loaded into ships as it allowed me bombard enemy province improvements into ashes thus weakening the enemy economy (and unlike aircraft they could not be shot down).

there are cruise missiles.

Don't forget about Atomic Bombs. They have a slightly longer range than tactical nukes.

yes

no. only tactical nukes (bombs & missiles).

there are cruise missiles.

Great! That is all I could have ever hoped for! :D

Also, bombs? Does that mean that missiles are no longer the only way to drop a nuke? Seeing the ICBM's go away is a little bit sad but they were useless anyways. However, do you know how long range the tactical nukes are?

Guided Missile

Movement: 2; Ranged Strength: 70; Range: 8; Cost: 160; Required Resource: ?
Technology: Satellites
Notes: "A cheap unit that may be used once to damage enemy Units or Cities." Can be carried by Missile Cruiser.

Nuclear Submarine

Movement: 7; Strength: 20; Ranged Strength: 70; Range: 3; Cost: 300; Required Resource: Aluminum
Technology: Computers
"Invisible to all Units except Destroyers and other Submarines. Can carry 2 Missiles, and is specialized in hunting other Submarines."
Notes: Can carry up to 2 Nuclear Missiles. Appearance based on the U.S. Ohio-class SSBN.

Nuclear Missile

Range: 8; Cost: 1200; Required Resources: 2xUranium
Technology: Advanced Ballistics
Notes: Can be based in a friendly city, nuclear submarine or missile cruiser. Blast radius of 2 tiles. In one demonstration video, the available Uranium count went from 0 to 2 after using a Nuclear Missile, so it appears the missile requires an allocation of 2 Uranium.

Atomic Bomb

Range: 10; Cost: 850; Required Resource: Uranium
Technology: Nuclear Fission
Notes: Can be based in a friendly city or aircraft carrier. "When it detonates, an Atomic Bomb will damage or possibly destroy units and cities within its blast radius of 2 tiles." It looks like the bomb unit appears as an actual B-29 bomber that flies over the target.

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_modern_units.html

Also, bombs? Does that mean that missiles are no longer the only way to drop a nuke? Seeing the ICBM's go away is a little bit sad but they were useless anyways. However, do you know how long range the tactical nukes are?
See the video:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=376103

And do yourself a favour and do some research. :cowboy: There's a stickied thread with confirmed features and Arioch's wonderful site. If you're such a hardcore gamer, you'd have noticed these, no? :rolleyes:

I suspect we will see the ICBM make an appearance at some point, perhaps as part of some unit pack DLC or in an expansion.

I suspect we will see the ICBM make an appearance at some point, perhaps as part of some unit pack DLC or in an expansion.

Doubt it. I suggest with the new diplo system nuclear wars will appear more often, so unlimited distance will barely fit.

Not useless, you just needed to build ~4 for each target - which is where the real world is headed with anti-ballistic missile systems.

Atomic Bomb

Range: 10; Cost: 850; Required Resource: Uranium
Technology: Nuclear Fission
Notes: Can be based in a friendly city or aircraft carrier. "When it detonates, an Atomic Bomb will damage or possibly destroy units and cities within its blast radius of 2 tiles." It looks like the bomb unit appears as an actual B-29 bomber that flies over the target.
:eek2:
I could blow up the whole world....

Top Bottom