An Island Race

grandad1982

Deity
Hello and welcome to my first Civ 5 SG!

Without any preamble....

....our leader (and the game settings)!
Spoiler :

Liz's UA is Sun Never Sets and gives a +2 movement bonus to naval units.

Our UUs
Spoiler :

The Ship of the Line is a frigate with a more powerful ranged attack and the Longbow is an OP Crossbow with extra range (despite what the civolipeadia says) and strength!

Our starting location.
Spoiler :

Two different :) resourses, on a short river but also tundra.

The difficulty is King and the speed setting is standard. I've usually been an epic player but it seems to really drag in Civ 5 (maybe I'll try some more offline games to get used to it.) I've also disabled the start bias as I want a bit more randomness at the start.

As you can see and probably guessed from the name of the thread we're going to be playing an Archipelago map to get the most from Liz's UA and her Ships of the line.

All victory conditions are open to us and I'm not going to impose any varient rules on how we play the game.

I have only played a few games of Civ 5 so far so I hardly claim to be very good or to know all the ins and outs of every facet of the game. This will very much be a learning game where we can all try to take something away from it.

I run a fairly easy going ship with a 48/72 got it and play. I do request that you try to post some form of pre play plan [PPP] and wait for feedback before you play, after all we're suposed to be playing as a team!

If you need skips or swaps then please let us know early to try and minimise the flow of the game.

If you've played in an SG with me before then I'd love to have you onboard, but if you haven't or this is your first SG then please don't be shy! I'd ideally like a five player roster but I'll be willing to start with 4 (inc. myself).

Roster
grandad1982
McLMan
cripp7
Admiral Kutzov
?

As you maybe aware there is an issue with running Deluxe edition saves with a regular edition install :mad: How Firaxies ever let this happen is beyond me. I'm running the regular edition so the opening save should be ok for all players. However if you are using the Deluxe edition your still welcome but you will need to use the save converter.

I will be autopatching my game as we go along so look out for this as well if you have turned this feature off.

The save

Attachments

• An Island Race.Civ5Save
    323.9 KB · Views: 285
I'd like to be in. Played in quite a few Civ III and some Civ IV SG's. I have the Digital Deluxe edition so hopefully the save converter will do it's thing.

Hello McLMan! You in.

You sould try to open the save then resave and post it to see if I can use it.

I realised I didn't post the screen of our starting location so I've edited the OP to include it.
Doh!

A couple more players and we can get this thing started!

Wow, poor start. Will be interesting.

I'll open & re-save the save tonight.

What are your thoughts on turn sets? I would suggest 20 turns for first rotation and then 10 turns beyond that.

Without moving the warrior yet I speculate that moving the settler 1NE is better than in place as we lose at least 3 tundra. This also frees up a riverside tile but loses us the improvements that freshwater/rivers allow.

If only the warrior could reach those northern hills to see whats the other side.

I have no idea how to run that converter. I've read a bunch of pages but I'm confused. Is there a tutorial anywhere?

EDIT: I did some more reading and installed Strawberry Perl on my computer. I still can't get it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've attached the Digital Deluxe version of the save in case anybody wants to try to convert it and let me know how exactly to do it.

Sorry for being dense. :blush:

Attachments

• An Island Race Digital Deluxe.Civ5Save
    324.8 KB · Views: 253
Forgot about turnset lengths! My SG admin is a bit rusty I can see!

I guess 20/10 or 20/15. I get the feeling 10 might be to short in the early game.

I'll PM Gyathaar to see if he can help with the converter.

start command line of the PC with perl
(if XP, type cmd in the run box under start, if windows 7 in the search box .. dunno under vista)

type:
cd \path_to_where_you_placed_my_script\
perl convert_deluxe_standard.pl path_and_filename_of_savegame.Civ5Save

should now be a new savegame in same folder as the folder where the savegame was in originally

Thanks Gyathaar. I now know where I was messing up. If I put the saves in the same folder as the script all I should have to do is change directory to the script and then run it "naked." I'll have to wait to try it again tonight when I'm home.

I updated the script btw.. there was a small bug in it that sometimes created saves that would not load.

also made it strip the ever increasing version string in the save that eventually would make you run out of memory if you load and save a game many times

Alright, thanks for the help. After a couple of tries I got it to work. Attached is a conversion of my re-save of the start position. :crazyeye:

I renamed the save to make it shorter and without spaces. Worked the 1st time after that. :)

Attachments

• islandracedd_converted.Civ5Save
    326.5 KB · Views: 257
Hi, in, if you want me. Be advised, I haven't actually finished a game yet and I'm a little p.o'd that there is no tech brokering. I'm also still trying to figure out Pacts. And where are the spies?

I'm an idiot and looking forward to lots of discussion.

I was able to open the converted save no problem.

Re the save. 2 whales, 3 hills and a cotton. Settle in place. Keep the river and the hills. Suggests we need sailing, mining and then calender. This may be pure :smoke:. first build a monument. we really don't need an early worker. first tech pottery on the way to sailing. REX doesn't seem to be an option. Send the warrior south to clear the crap and then NE. On islands we shouldn't have to worry about the neighbors. I haven't figured out if ICP or OCP is proper/better. More like grab the resources. Somewhere in there AH and bronze and maybe iron and optics. how early do we want to kick out an exploring boat? kick out at least one early WB and trireme? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm a :confused: idiot. :(

Policies? Freedom? Maybe? I just don't see Honor or Tradition. Looking forward to discussion.

<head explodes> <runs off into the horizon screaming about Another Brick in the Wall, part 2 and Little Creatures> :crazyeye:

OT - I think a feudal alliance with Gyathaar would be prudent if only I had some trade bait... that conversion thingy is sweet. :salute:

Hello Admiral! Nice to have you back onboard.

By Freedom did you mean liberty? I agree honour probably won't be of huge use to us this early. Not sure about tradition. A strong capital on a water map could be pretty handy. The deeper Liberty policies are pretty nice - extra production etc.

If we do settle in place I guess those Tundra can be farmed later as with Fertiliser they are a 3 food tile. I think.

As tech order I'm thinking an early Sailing followed by AH > Mining > Calendar?

Build order maybe Monument > Warrior > Workboat > Worker/Settler. We probably don't need an early extra land unit due to the map type. I guess you could go for a worker first rather than the Monument and get some farms down to increase pop and thus our sci. An early Monument would be a nice early couple of social policies.

Getting at least one exploring boat out would be a good idea so we can meet some City States etc.

I don't think best city placement is ICS maybe about 4/5 tiles seperating. I think its all about settling recource clusters.

I might not be able to start this off (I'm moving house and have social engagements this weekend) so once the discussion is done and we're ready to play McLMan can kick us off!

Hm, I'll keep an eye on your progress. Want to sign in, actually, but I don't know, if I'll be any good for you (I'm indecisive noob :crazyeye: ), esp. while I'm playing another SG. If it's OK, count me in. If not, allow some lurking. :)

I am in agreement with getting Sailing ASAP & Monument as 1st build. We should wait to see more of our surroundings before deciding whether to go Warrior or Workboat 2nd. Our 1st citizen should work the cotton for the 3 :commerce: to speed along our research.

By Freedom did you mean liberty?
I did. Good catch.

We should wait to see more of our surroundings before deciding whether to go Warrior or Workboat 2nd. Our 1st citizen should work the cotton for the 3 to speed along our research.
sounds like a plan.

Want to sign in, actually, but I don't know, if I'll be any good for you (I'm indecisive noob )
I'm an idiot and I'm pretty sure I won't be of much use. ;)

@grandad - congrats on the new house.

Even though we haven't met one yet, any ideas on the city states?

Top Bottom