Best civilizations for Liberty ?

dodzylla

Chieftain
Hello guys!

First, sorry for my bad english!

I need some help about liberty, i search for a good country who is good in Liberty playing, i love great empires with a lot of Cityies thats why i want a good country for this, i thinking about Rome and Russia, but Rome 25 % + production is not too much and useless in early game, I thinking about china this is one of my fav civ in civilization 5.

How to start a game if i want to rush for a great civ with liberty ?

Start in the first turns with a monument after worker after settler ? or better if i do first a worker??

Thanks, Don

Early libery REX works best for France (culture bonus), Pacal (pyramid science), and Boduccia (Free faith) imho. But yes, it is good for everyone except India.

Liberty isn't good for everybody. I wouldn't do liberty with India, Korea, Sweden, or Ethiopia and probably not with Babylon.

Liberty is very good for a bunch of little (5-7 size 2-4) cities early, so to get the most from it you want civs with little applicable bonuses... France (culture), Arabia (trade route bonus), Celts (faith), Iroquois (doesn't need to build roads for trade routes), Inca (cheap roads), or China (paper maker fixes early expansion costs).

Good liberty tactic, sprawl at 4-5 tile distances instead of 5-6 to keep your empire compact and defendable with overlapping city attack and fewer "road tiles". Try to keep your tertiary cities "clipped", that is, have 1 good food plot, maybe 1 good 3-4 production plot and maybe a 3rd. Don't go growing population just for the sake of trying to keep them happy.

Liberty is good for any civ in the game. My standard start is to open Tradition for the +3 :c5culture: and then go down the entire Liberty tree before moving on to late game policy trees.

Spain is really good for that but a gamble (free gold and more happiness from natural wonders). China is really good because a Library is something you will want to build everywhere and it generates Gold on top of that.

You want to avoid India, and all civs especially foccused on culture wins and with Bonuses to great people generation.

Arabia, Rome, Netherlands, Carthage, Babylon, America. There are many civs which will work well with liberty. Carthage because they can get instant happiness by liberty policy as their coastal cities get free harbours. Arabia & Netherlands for their trading capabilities, America for rush-buying tiles, Babylon because they are science civ + they can easily crush early rushes with bowmen + Walls of babylon.

If you want more than 1 city, then Liberty is good for you.

You're not gonna "easily" have 3+ cities with walls of babylon...but if you can early rush a nearby capitol with bowmen, I guess it's not so bad. I have better success with babylon razing a couple cities early on, but turtling my first 3-4 cities, so I feel tradition is better for that.

I think the better question should be, which civs are better suited NOT to take liberty, like Songhai and Honour, Ethiopia and Tradition

Liberty is good for any civ in the game. My standard start is to open Tradition for the +3 :c5culture: and then go down the entire Liberty tree before moving on to late game policy trees.

You might want to reconsider this, because the extra +3 culture never actually gives you more culture than the extra cultural cost of the new policies. So if you only take the Tradition opener for the extra culture, you will receive every further policy throughout the game later than you normally would.

Granted, the Tradition opener gives an additional benefit of faster border growth, but unless you specifically go for that, taking just the opener is a waste and a delay.

On a more on-topic note: Liberty is potentially viable for all civilizations, but as noted, it might be sub-optimal for civilizations like India or Ethiopia. It's definitely not worth it if your strategy calls for 4 or fewer cities, unless you need the free Great Person badly.

You might want to reconsider this, because the extra +3 culture never actually gives you more culture than the extra cultural cost of the new policies. So if you only take the Tradition opener for the extra culture, you will receive every further policy throughout the game later than you normally would.

Granted, the Tradition opener gives an additional benefit of faster border growth, but unless you specifically go for that, taking just the opener is a waste and a delay.

On a more on-topic note: Liberty is potentially viable for all civilizations, but as noted, it might be sub-optimal for civilizations like India or Ethiopia. It's definitely not worth it if your strategy calls for 4 or fewer cities, unless you need the free Great Person badly.

I support this post, altho, tradition (bigger core cities faster) is more conducive to more/faster great people later.

I support this post, altho, tradition (bigger core cities faster) is more conducive to more/faster great people later.

I agree - although if you want a specific Great Person, fast and can't get them by any other means, the Liberty finisher is probably the easiest (especially with Hagia Sophia being changed in GaK).

That being said, I still wouldn't take the entire tree just for one Great Person, unless I played a civilization with large early culture production (Aztecs or France, for example) AND the Great Person was crucial to my strategy (e.g. I needed a Great Prophet and didn't have time to explore the upper part of the tech tree). For a small empire, Liberty is next to useless, and spending 6 policies on one Great Person is bad planning in virtually all situations.

This statement is false.

budweiser, do you use liberty often with India? How do those 6 size 5 cities work out for you?

Do you make 5 cities with Ethiopia when everyone else has 3 or 4? How's that work out for you?

Picking liberty can work for every civ but some can probably gain more from chosing another policy tree.

Having many cities can be very good because of many reasons:

The happines buildings can only be built ones in a city which means that many cities can give you more happines then few cities.

Faith buildings is basicly the same so you can get more faith with many cities.

You can have more specilalist with many cities which means that you will probably get more great people.

The smaller the population is the less food you need to get to next pop.

Having many cities however do have some diseadvantages:

The ai will become angry if you expand to much.

Your cities cost 3 happines each (not India) just to be founded so you need aleast a new resources or 3 happines from buildings just to pay the happines cost for the city.

More buildings means more gold in upkeep.

Your policies will cost more culture however liberty have a policy which makes this less harsh.

Settlers is expansive in the begining which means that it will take some time for your new cities to pay of their cost.

Few but big cities need fewer buildings and that means paying fewer hammers.

You should probebly pick liberty if you got much land for yourself and avoid picking it if you are boxed in by other civs.

A liberty civ will probably have stronger late game then a tradition civ if the tradition civ sticks with few cities and the liberty civs expands. And if they both expands I still think the liberty civ will still come ahead because thats what liberty is for.

For perspective, before deity, which is insane anyway, on a standard size map you can win any victory condition with 5 cities (non puppets), and on a large map it's 7 (except culture, you probably want 4 or 5). You don't "need" more (non puppet) cities to win; you need to properly develop your "core cities".

I agree with Denkt. If I want to rex 7 cities before 500ad, and I have the room, and I think I can keep them (which you simply won't emperor and above) I pick liberty. I picked liberty with Washington this morning on immortal because I'm in a "good corner" with a halfway sustainable 3-tile "choke point"...

Civ should have less impact on policy trees than given map or VC. For war game Liberty is definitely the right choice. For peaceful games currently Tradition looks better.

You can destoy standard pangea emperor with 1 city germany carpeting landsknecht and a few catapults.

Top Bottom