Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

EQandcivfanatic

Zailing Captain
Retired Moderator
This phase of the NES is complete, the link for the Boring Time Thread is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11350818#post11350818

Introduction

Welcome to the Capto Iugulum! This title not only reflects a portion of the story and background, but also the manner in which it is set up. I've dusted off and updated several old ideas used in my NESes for the sake of this one. I hope that they aged well and serve all of you players well here. On top of those, I've added a few new elements which have not been seen in any of my past NESes. I've used what I've garnered works from A Brave New World and my Fallout inspired NES to create the best possible ruleset here. This is hopefully in balance with a realistic depiction of the era reflected here, as was my goal particularly with the economic and manpower setup.

A note on alternative history and actual history in relation to this NES. I've been inspired by the direction taken by Paradox Interactive with their recent games. Rather than have fixed events in this history (i.e. a Great Depression, world wars) I'm going to let this world shape itself. Therefore the social trends, events, and economic failures/booms are going to be influenced SOLELY by player action or inaction combined with a healthy smattering of random events. As I learned with Fallout, I'm going to take a very hands off approach to the events of each nation, with exception of the starting stats to kick the NES off. With The World turned Upside Down, A Brave New World and subsequent NES failures I was too caught up in how things should go that I wound up sabotaging the way things were actually going. There's no room here for wars based solely on historical irony. The world created here will be as you choose to shape it, not I.

Lastly, the world we start with is based off of interesting possibilities, not definite realities. The existence of some of these nations or their rulers are clearly improbable at best. I don't care too much about how we got here, only where we are going. If you wish to fill in the blanks left in the history, I welcome you to do so. I encourage any and all story writing for the sake of the NES. I only ask you keep away from story ideas that are TOO fantastic. In the meantime, I will not be dragged into any debate about starting historical plausibility in regards to the map or stats. This is how it is, and what I find more important is what it could be.

Update List

Update 0: 1, 2, 3
Update 1: 1, 2, 3
Update 2: 1, 2, 3
Update 3: 1, 2, 3
Update 4: 1, 2, 3
Update 5: 1, 2, 3
Update 6: 1, 2, 3
Update 7 1, 2, 3
Update 8: 1, 2
Update 9: 1, 2, 3
Update 10: 1, 2
Update 11: 1, 2, 3
Update 12: 1, 2
Update 13: 1, 2, 3
Update 14: 1, 2

Update 15: 1, 2

Update 16: 1, 2, 3

Update 17: 1, 2, 3

Update 18: 1, 2, 3

Update 19: 1, 2, 3, 4

Where We Are, The Old and the New

The ancient crowns of the world exist on a tottering precipice. New ideas, thoughts, and beliefs have entered the world, shaking its foundations. Monarchy and religion, the base of old government for centuries, has begun to be openly challenged by new thinkers and philosophers. Old regimes which have withstood numerous trials are threatened from within as national identities are developed and education spreads, bringing so-called "enlightenment" to not just the upper classes, but the masses as well. The combination of ancient regimes with new ideas threatens to put not only Europe, but the whole of the world, into the furnace of a new era.

A Sample Nation

Nation Name/Player Name
Government: Ruling Party/Monarch (Ideological Affiliation)
Capital: City Name
Education: Education Level
Manpower: Bank (+Per turn)
Economic Points: Bank (+per turn)
Domestic Policies: -Total of Below
-Expense 1: -#
-Expense 2: -#
Stability: #
Army: Brigades
Army Quality: #
Army Organization Style: Type
Navy: Ships
Navy Quality: #
Colonies
Spoiler :

Colony Name: Economic Value
-Manpower: #
-Garrison: Brigades and Ships
-Stability: Stability Rating

Projects:
-Project Name: Spent/Total Cost

Governments

Your government is the style of regime your nation has. This can range from anywhere to the most free and open democracy to a brutal authoritarian theocratic monarchy and anything in between. Various types of governments can obviously get away with different actions, and you should always keep your government in mind. Democratic governments have elections every once in a while (determined by their constitution) and can therefore be subject to changing winds more than a monarchy. The type of ideology you follow will also alter the issues of concern of your people and bring different matters of stability to the forefront of your politics. Be aware however, that should you mistreat your people and disregard the formalities of your regime, you may be faced with revolution. Unless, of course, that's what you wanted to do in the first place.

Manpower and your Population

The manpower of your nation is representative (currently, may change with time) of a select part of your overall population. Namely, this is of standard age "warrior" males from your population. The people that are considered to be ideal soldier age by modern standards, namely men ages 16-50. The Manpower stat does not include anyone outside of this range. Regardless, you may consider these people linked to their unmarked families, and are the people who will create new families if left to their own devices. Manpower typically will grow at about 1% each year, until events increase this ratio. If you expend too much of your manpower in military service, your growth rate will suffer. Also, though it may be tempting for some nations, try to resist using ALL your manpower for military purposes. Doing so will not only END population growth while the situation continues, but will likely be highly unpopular with your people, unless you are engaged in a total war.

Manpower is tradable between nations as a form of migration, and it should also be noted that manpower will be used to represent natural immigration to and from various countries. For some nations, particularly former colonies, immigration may be a key part of their growth. Remember your manpower is a valuable resource and the larger it is, the quicker it'll grow. Lastly, I'd like to emphasize once again, every man in the army is one who is not procreating for the greater good of the motherland.

The Wealth of Nations: Your Economy

These economic rules have changed greatly since their initial incarnation at the start of the NES. They have been vastly simplified and now consist of Economic Points, which is the total portion of your economy which is currently useable to your goverment. Nations with a stronger economy have governments which can spend considerably more. The economy of your nation can be improved through trade agreements, technological advances, and the capture of new territories and establishment of colonies. You can use both the funds in your bank, and the incoming Economic Points in your spending orders for each turn.

It should be noted that your economy may fall on occasion from recession or, worse, national bankruptcy. If your expenses (your spending and your domestic policy costs) exceed your total bank and income, your bank will go into negative numbers and your national government will be forced to declare bankruptcy. Not only will this give numerous nations reasons to invade you or declare war, it'll throw your whole economy into chaos, making things even worse then they were before. On top of that, your stability will take a hit, threatening the development of even more chaos. Be very careful, falling into bankruptcy is a way to begin a very vicious circle which results in nothing good.

Policies and Projects

As in prior NESes of mine, you can spend portions of your economy into either policies or projects. Projects are one-time programs designed to have a set expense for completion. The speed of these solely depends on how much you're willing to commit at any one time. To establish a project, simply inform me of your methods in conducting it and the goal to which you aspire, and a cost will materialize in your stats following the update.

Policies are more in-depth long-term expenditures. These are included in your stats underneath the Economic Points section. The policies are deducted from your EP bank at the end of every turn. Policies include things which you will always have to fund, and eliminating these will frequently result in internal political turmoil. Larger (geographically) nations will always have at least some policies in place, in order to fund the bureaucracy which keeps their empires going. Keep an eye on your policy expenditures, as you may find yourself bankrupt if you don't. If you choose, you can reduce expenses however you choose, just be warned this could have ramifications upon your stability or economy. On the other hand, sometimes cutting back expenses is exactly what you need to do to increase or economy or stability. The situation can vary from nation to nation.

Stability

Stability acts much has it has in my previous NESes. Stability is measured on a scale of 0 to 12, with 0 being a nation virtually in anarchy and in collapse, and 12 being a regime with no internal problems whatsoever. There are three major factors upon your stability that exist in your stats. The first of these is your manpower relative to your army. While you may desire an immense army, the process of recruiting for it is likely to destabilize your nation. Massive demobilizations of your army are likely to do the same. The other is your economy. Changes in the organization and strength of your economy likely to to destabilize or stabilize your nation. Finally, conducting too much change all at once will definitely result in instability. Typically, raising the level of control will destabilize your nation, and lowering it will stabilize your nation. There are exceptions to every rule, but this one holds fast in all cases at the start of the NES. Non-Western nations may also have to deal with other stability drops when attempting to introduce western ideals or military tactics into their nation.

Education, Technology, and Unit Designs

The education stat simply reflects the overall literacy and status of education in your country, but what's more important is that private companies and individuals have the wealth and resources to invent new goods and services. As most of the research in the era at hand was done by private individuals, this system is to reflect that. The education stat cannot be easily budged with time, as your nation's education is mostly rooted in old tradition. It takes decades and substantial commitment to change a nation's educational system and you should definitely keep this in mind, particularly since the system you have is likely a key part of your culture and will not change with any type of ease. The Education stat is measured on the following scale:

Oral Tradition-Clergy Only-Aristocracy Only-Wealthy Only-Localized Schooling-Public Schools

Now as it is, almost all research is out of the direct control of players. The independently researched stuff mostly includes civilian technologies and theoretical advancements. Therefore the broadest levels of research will not be under your control at any stage of the game, except for the speed at which they are achieved based on your education and portion of the economy dedicated to the private sector. Despite this, we now have the return of a limited "tech tree" to my NESes. Within this tech tree are technologies which would be within a government's interest for research during the relevant time period. Therefore this includes weapons technologies, and (eventually) nuclear and space programs. This method of research is fairly expensive and it should be noted that most of the tech tree technologies will emerge naturally even if the tech tree isn't used. The best use of the tech tree is if you want to gain a temporary edge against your nation's enemies

With that it should be stated that ALL technologies (with exception of nuclear/space programs) are gradually shared among all nations when researched. This includes the tech tree along with advancements made by the private sector. Do not take this to mean that one nation cannot be backwards when compared to another. In addition to the levels of Army Organization, which help differentiate militarily, the nation which leads the way in technology will also take great leaps forward in economic and military quality stats (depending on the invention). Meanwhile, those not in the technological lead will progress in quality stats at a much slower rate. Therefore, even though you don't have to pave the way in technologies, it certainly won't hurt if you do.

The last element of research are designs, as they were my favorite feature of ABNW 2. Specifically players will be able to design their own ships, planes, and tanks as the NES progresses. The designs are connected at the hip with Army and Navy Quality. You can only put so many points into a design, and the number of points you can use is equal to the number of points in the related quality stat. Therefore, if you want to design a new tank, and your Army Quality is 10, you can only put 10 points into the various stats of the tank design. Full details are provided below with the various designs that already exist.

Army Organizations and Unit Designs

As briefly mentioned above, Army Organization is an important part of this NES, particularly in terms of western vs. nonwestern cultures. Players are able to create a new Army Organization set up at ANY point in the game, though it costs a minimum of 1 EP per brigade in your army to convert from one setup to another in addition to a 50 EP flat rate to actually design a new Organization. This cost increases based on the disparity between what organization you have and what organization you are converting to. To adapt a new type of Army Organization, subtract your current EP cost per unit from your hoped EP per unit (0s should be rounded up to 1) plus an additional base upgrade cost of 1 EP. Multiply the new number by the amount of brigades you have in your army. That'll be the cost of adapting the new Army Organization for your nation. When you begin the process, I will provide the cost as a project in your stats to save you the calculation effort. Upon completion you will go to the new style. As a note, you DO need the creators' approval before adopting another nation's design for organization. Of course, generic designs are exempt from that.

To create a new Organization type you simply must pay the above upgrade fee in addition to a 50 EP payment for the new type. You may determine your own levels of each stat in the following manner: simply distribute your total Army Quality into the four stats of organization, and that will be your new type of organization following the upgrade.

Non-western nations typically have worse Army Organization to start than western nations. This is to reflect the modernization which must take place if they are to compete on the world stage. Beyond that there are no other rules for what EU3 calls "westernization" of other nations (though there may be stability issues in the process of upgrading).

It might seem that the effort may be too expensive, and you may be right. A very large army has a very difficult time in converting to a more modern design for their forces. This however is completely realistic and some may find it easier to simply have a smaller, but modern, standing army. Unlike in previous NESes however, Army Organization is WAY more important than Army Quality when it comes to deciding battles. Therefore, while you may be able to let your upgrading slide for a time, you certainly cannot forever. Ideally, a army will attempt to modernize its organization and doctrines once every ten to twenty years. As stated in the economic section above however, the economies of all nations will be inflated compared to past NESes, so this is not as daunting as it might sound.

Wars and Warfare

The most important thing for all of you aggressive NESers, is that no matter how flimsy it may be, you need to have a reason for your wars. Your people will fight and die for you, but they'd like to know why. If it's a good reason, they'll fight all the harder. This may include to liberate an oppressed people, claim more land for exploitation, or to unify a national group. If it is a bad reason, they may rebel. Bad reasons may include totalitarian conquest of other nations, or no reason at all. Remember, if you want to fight a war, give the world a reason why.

When it comes to fighting yours wars there are some things to keep in mind about the current environment. As the NES changes so will this paragraph with updated information. First of all, beware of sending large armies to tropical environments. The terrain is quite likely to lead to the deaths of the majority of your army to disease. I have no problem reducing your 50 brigade army to nothing in a single turn. In fact, I'll likely enjoy it. Sometimes, smaller is better. Next, remember when planning your wars, that wars in this timeframe are conducted as a series of campaigns, which consist of series of battles. These will not be wars of a cohesive and ever changing front line, but rather of armies and mobility.

The Units currently available for land warfare are:
Infantry Brigades
Cavalry Brigades
Artillery Brigades

Colonies and Exploiting New Lands

Colonization and Imperialism was an essential part of politics in the 1800s. Despite this, MOST nations weren't fully invested in these until the latter part of the century. Primarily this is because the uncolonized regions of the world were not always the most suited for the European lifestyle. To this end, ask me if you country is ready for colonization, if it isn't, you will experience significant difficulty in your efforts.

All colonies are in your stats, and each have an economic value which provides to the overall prosperity of your nation. Beyond that, each colony has three stats; Manpower, Garrison, and Stability. The manpower stat is how much of the colony is willing/able to fight under your banner. Remember though, that they are more likely to be loyal to the colony rather than to the empire as a whole. They are unlikely to be enthusiastic about fighting overseas, though they'll fight well on the defensive at home. The Garrison is the amount of troops, both colonial and homegrown that are positioned in the particular colony. The Stability stat functions like your national stability stat. Most importantly, with the exception of the economic value of your colony, NONE of the stats figure into the overall total of your nation.

One final note on colonization. The NES begins in 1830. In 1880, a conference will be required and the game temporarily stopped (unless a major world war is ongoing). At this point, players with colonial interests will divide the remaining empty space in the world among themselves. The NES will then jump to 1900 for the next phase, and all nations will gain the territory they claim in the conference for themselves. The date of the conference may vary based on the events taking place at that time. Remember, this will mean not to expect to fill all "white space" on the map, especially areas with bad terrain for settlement. Any colonial expansions will be small and difficult for the majority of this NES, with a few rare exceptions.

Orders and Updates

An Order deadline will be at the top of this post every week, and we'll be attempting to manage an update a week to start us off. Update 1 may take two weeks to allow everyone to adjust and work out how the rules work and the best way to send orders. Each update will be a year of game time, so plan your wars and policies accordingly. The only requisite I have for the format of your orders is that you provide the name of your nation in the title of your private message. Other than that, feel free to format your orders in the way that best suits you.

World Map

Attachments

• Cienmap0.png
    Cienmap0.png
    424.5 KB · Views: 967
Europe
Spoiler :

Austria:
Absolute Monarchy: King Ferdinand (Conservative)
Capital: Vienna
Education: Aristocracy Only
Manpower: 2,080 (+21)
Economic Points 105 (+57)
Domestic Policies: -10
-Education: -2
-Imperial Administration: -5
-Patron of the Arts: -3
Stability: 7
Army: 10 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 15
Army Organization Style: Austrian Army 1838
Navy: None
Navy Quality: 5

Azerbaijan
Absolute Monarchy: Shah Ismail (Conservative)
Capital: Baku
Manpower: 98 (+1)
Economic Points: 44 (+14)
Domestic Policies: -1
-Education: -1
Army: 7 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 9
Army Organization Style: European Standard 1835

Bavaria
Absolute Monarchy: King Ludwig (Conservative)
Capital: Munich
Education: Wealthy Only
Manpower: 783 (+8)
Economic Points: 0 (+45)
Domestic Policies: -2
Stability: 8
Army: 10 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 13
National Paving Program: 92/300

Brandenburg:
Absolute Monarchy: King Wilhelm (Conservative)
Capital: Berlin
Manpower: 1,016 (+10)
Economic Points: 0 (+62)
Domestic Policies: -5
-Secret Police: -3
Army: 9 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 12
Brandenburg Railroad Network: 218/400

Brittany
Absolute Monarchy: King Henry IV (Moderate)
Capital: Nantes
Manpower: 435 (+4)
Economic Points: 34 (+32)
Stability: 6
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 25 Crescent-class Warships
Navy Quality: 11

Corsica
Absolute Monarchy: King Sampiero (Conservative)
Capital: Ajaccio
Manpower: 22 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+11)
Army: 2 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade
Army Organziation Style: European Standard 1835
Naval Infrastructure Project: 68/60

Dauphine
Absolute Monarchy: King Humbert V (Conservative)
Capital: Grenoble
Manpower: 346 (+3)
Economic Power: 0 (+31)
Army: 9 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 10
Agricultural Development Program: 360/400

Denmark
Constitutional Monarchy: King Frederick VII (Moderate)/Guards Party (Conservative)
Capital: Copenhagen
Manpower: 121 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+61)
Domestic Policies: -11
-Imperial Administration: -10
Stability: 9
Army: 8 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades (8 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades in Korea)
Navy: 15 First Rate Warships, 20 Oslo-class Warships (15 Oslo-class Warships in Korea)
Navy Quality: 14
Colonies: 8
Spoiler :

Frederickstad: 4
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade
-Manpower: 2
-Stability: 8
Iceland and Greenland: 4
-Manpower: 4

Empire of Spain: Milarqui
Theocratic Monarchy: Emperor Carlos VI (Moderate)
Capital: Madrid
Manpower: 2,203 (+22)
Economic Points: 9 (+668)
Domestic Policies: -163
-Education: -5
-Imperial Administration: -158
Stability: 5
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades, 5 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 20
Army Organization Style: Spanish Nuevo Tercio
Navy: 6 Third Rate Warships, 53 Second Rate Warships, 8 First Rate Warships, 1 Santiago-class Armed Transport, 4 Granada-class Warships, 32 Neptuno-class Warships, 31 Toledo-class Warships, 3 Norwich-class Warships
Navy Quality: 20
Colonies: 424
Spoiler :

Algeria: 14
-Manpower: 20
-Garrison: 4 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade
Angola: 3
Bahamas and Bermuda: 20
-Manpower: 3
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades
-Stability: 10
Cuba: 33
-Manpower: 5
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade, 19 Neptuno-class Warships, 20 Toledo-class Warships
Easter Island: 0
-Manpower: 0
-Garrison: None
Falkland Islands: 1
Guinea: 4
-Manpower: 9
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 2 Neptuno-class Warships, 2 Toledo-class Warships
-Stability: 9
Hispaniola: 45
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades
Malta: 7
-Garrison: 15 Second Rate Warships, 4 First Rate Warships, 1 Neptuno-class Warship, 1 Toledo-class Warship
Morocco: 18
-Manpower: 35
-Garrison: 4 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade
-Stability: 7
Nueva Leon: 27
-Manpower: 15
-Garrison: 6 Infantry Brigades, 6 Cavalry Brigades, 5 Artillery Brigades
Peru: 51
-Manpower: 178
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade
Philippines: 46
-Garrison: 8 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades, 4 Artillery Brigades, 11 Neptuno-class Warship, 12 Toledo-class Warships
Puerto Rico: 13
-Manpower: 1
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade, 9 Second Rate Warships, 3 First Rate Warships, 9 Neptuno-class Warships, 8 Toledo-class Warships
Spanish India: 111
-Manpower: 142
-Garrison: 4 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade, 2 Second Rate Warships
Spanish West Indies: 7
-Manpower 1
Yucatan: 23
-Manpower: 25
-Garrison: 4 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
-Stability: 3

Port Modernization Program: 500/1,000

Flanders
Constitutional Monarchy: King Charles II (Liberal)/Party of Order (Conservative)
Capital: Brussels
Manpower: 204 (+2)
Economic Points: 0 (+28)
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades, 6 Cavalry Brigades, 5 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 5 Fourth Rate Warships, 3 Third Rate Warships, 14 First Rate Warships
Navy Quality: 10
Flemish National Railroad: 130/200

Georgia
Absolute Monarchy: King George XII (Conservative)
Capital: Tiflis
Manpower: 309 (+3)
Economic Points: 0 (+26)
Domestic Policies: -4
-Imperial Administration: -3
Army: 14 Infantry Brigades, 6 Cavalry Brigades, 6 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 1 Second Rate Warship
Navy Quality: 8

Hanover
Absolute Monarchy: King George (Moderate)
Capital: Hanover
Manpower: 596 (+6)
Economic Points: 0 (+53)
Domestic Policies: -2
Army: 28 Infantry Brigades, 7 Cavalry Brigades, 10 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 11
Hanover Railroad Project: 183/350

Hungary: DarthNader
Absolute Monarchy: King Vladislaus III (Conservative)
Capital: Budapest
Manpower: 1,715 (+17)
Economic Points: 0 (+99)
Domestic Policies: -15
-Secret Police: -3
Army: 20 Infantry Brigades, 10 Cavalry Brigades, 7 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: Hungarian Army 1837
Navy: 9 Third Rate Warships, 2 Second Rate Warships, 1 First Rate Warship, 5 Norwich-class Warships, 4 Virjheid-class Warships
Navy Quality: 9
Agricultural Reform Project: 102/1,250

Italy: Agent 89
Constitutional Monarchy: King Victor (Conservative)/Italian Brotherhood (Conservative)
Capital: Turin
Manpower: 1,922 (+19)
Economic Points:4 (+174)
Domestic Policies: -18
-Education: -3
-National Administration: -15
Army: 23 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades
Navy: 2 Crescent-class Warships, 2 Virjheid-class Warships

Kingdoms of Paris-Burgundy: Spryllino
Constitutional Monarchy: King Philippe (Liberal)/Septembrist Party (Liberal)
Capital: Paris
Manpower: 1,129 (+12)
Economic Points: 247 (+150)
Domestic Policies: -23
-French Society for Colonization: -5
-Secret Police: -10
Army: 50 Infantry Brigades, 15 Cavalry Brigades, 16 Artillery Brigades (7 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades in Korea)
Navy: 5 Fifth Rate Warships, 4 Fourth Rate Warships, 6 Third Rate Warships
Colonies: 3
Spoiler :

Benin: 3
-Manpower: 6

Languedoc: GamezRule
Absolute Monarchy: King Louis II (Reactionary)
Capital: Toulouse
Manpower: 640 (+6)
Economic Points: 60 (+74)
Army: 40 Infantry Brigades, 13 Cavalry Brigades, 13 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: Spanish Nuevo Tercio
Navy: 8 Third Rate Warships, 4 First Rate Warships, 4 Crescent-class Warships
Railroad Development Project: 215/300

Normandy: Terrence888
Constitutional Monarchy: King Louis II (Moderate)/Party of Order (Conservative)
Capital: Rouen
Manpower: 278 (+3)
Total Economy: 10 (+43)
Army: 12 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 4 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: British Army 1835
Navy: 5 Alexandria-class Warships

Poitou
Absolute Monarchy: King Charles IV (Conservative)
Capital: Poitiers
Manpower: 93 (+1)
Economic Points: 34 (+18)
Army: 12 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 4 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 4 Third Rate Warships, 3 First Rate Warships, 8 Crescent-class Warships

Poland: Double A
Absolute Monarchy: King Zygmunt IV (Conservative)
Capital: Krakow
Manpower: 791 (+8)
Economic Points: 0 (+114)
Domestic Policies: -21
-Imperial Administration: -15
-Secret Police: -5
Army: 9 Infantry Brigades, 6 Cavalry Brigades, 8 Artillery Brigades (3 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades in Korea)
Navy: 2 Third Rate Warships, 9 Crescent-class Warships
Colonies: 3
Spoiler :

Indian Ocean Islands: 2
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 2 Third Rate Warships
Stanislavia: 1
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades, 2 Third Rate Warships

Country Road Paving: 289/550

Pomerania
Constitutional Monarchy: King Joseph (Conservative)/Independence Coalition (Moderate)
Capital: Stettin
Manpower: 61 (+1)
Economic Points: 3 (+30)
Army: 7 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 14
Army Organization Style: Swedish Army 1835
Navy: 5 Oslo-class Warships

Portugal
Constitutional Monarchy: King Pedro V (Conservative)/Party of Order (Conservative)
Capital: Lisbon
Manpower: 239 (+2)
Economic Points: 0 (+31)
Domestic Policies: -16
Army: 3 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade (1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade in Korea)
Navy: 6 Fourth Rate Warships, 2 Third Rate Warships, 4 Second Rate Warships, 5 Oslo-Class Warships
Colonies: 12
Spoiler :

Mozambique: 5
Portuguese New Zealand: 4
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Third Rate Warship
Timor: 3
-Manpower: 3
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 2 Fourth Rate Warships, 1 Third Rate Warship

Homeland Road Paving: 67/200

Republic of the Netherlands: Zelet Dude
Republic: Patriots' Party (Liberal)
Capital: Amsterdam
Manpower: 273 (+3)
Economic Points: 0 (+204)
Domestic Policies: -54
-Imperial Administration: -53
Army: 21 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 11 Artillery Brigades (5 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades in Korea)
Army Quality: 17
Navy: 20 Third Rate Warships, 26 Second Rate Warships, 21 First Rate Warships, 48 Virjheid-class Warships
Colonies: 120
Spoiler :

Ceylon: 14
-Manpower: 30
-Garrison: 1 Artillery Brigade, 4 Third Rate Warships, 4 Second Rate Warships, 3 First Rate Warships, 4 Virjheid-class Warships
Dutch East Indies: 62
-Manpower: 20
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigades, 15 Third Rate Warships, 5 Second Rate Warship, 4 Virjheid-class Warships
Dutch Guyana: 5
-Garrison: 3 Infantry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades, 8 Third Rate Warships, 4 Second Rate Warships, 1 Virjheid-class Warship
Dutch West Indies: 25
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigades, 10 Third Rate Warship, 4 Second Rate Warships, 1 First Rate Warship, 2 Virjheid-class Warships
Fort Nassau: 1
-Garrison: 1 Artillery Brigade, 6 Third Rate Warships, 4 Second Rate Warships
Kabende: 1
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 2 Third Rate Warships, 1 Second Rate Warship
Hollandia: 1
Indian Ocean Islands: 5
New Guinea: 1
-Garrison: 1 Cavalry Brigade, 4 Second Rate Warships

Dutch Railroad Company: 223/250
Creating New Army Organization: 153/240

Roman Empire:
Absolute Monarchy: Imperator Constantine XIX (Conservative)
Capital: Constantinople
Manpower: 2,554 (+26)
Economic Points: 4 (+121)
Domestic Policies: -23
-Imperial Administration: -20
Army: 51 Infantry Brigades, 12 Cavalry Brigades, 16 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 3 Fifth Rate Warships, 5 Fourth Rate Warships, 1 Third Rate Warship, 8 Virjheid-class Warships, 7 Crescent-class Warships

Russia: TheLastJacobite
Absolute Monarchy: King Constantine II (Moderate)
Capital: Moscow
Manpower: 5,979 (+42)
Economic Points: 1 (+211)
Domestic Policies: -44
-Cossack Payments: -10
-Education: -4
-Imperial Administration: -25
-Food Reserves: -5
Army: 75 Infantry Brigades, 26 Cavalry Brigades, 28 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 8
Army Organization Style: Moscowy Standard 1847

Sardinia
Absolute Monarchy: King Victor (Conservative)
Capital: Cagliari
Manpower: 115 (+1)
Economic Points: 19 (+43)
Army: 7 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 6 Alexandria-class Warships, 20 Crescent-class Warships

Scandinavia: Lord of Elves
Constitutional Monarchy: Empress Christina (Conservative)/Liberal Party
Capital: Stockholm
Manpower: 949 (+9)
Economic Points: 55 (+199)
Domestic Policies: -58
-Imperial Administration: -56
Army: 25 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 10 Artillery Brigades (12 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades in Korea)
Navy: 18 Second Rate Warships, 2 Norwich-class Warships, 24 Oslo-class Warships, 6 Helsinki-class Transports (31 Oslo-class Warships, 2 Helsinki-class Transports in Korea)
Colonies: 78
Spoiler :

Haroldstad: 5
-Manpower: 16
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades, 6 Second Rate Warships
Ivory Coast: 1
Kongo: 1
Mogadishu: 4
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades, 6 Oslo-class Warshps, 2 Helsinki-class Transports
Senegal: 1
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 2 First Rate Warships
-Stability 10
Swedish Guyana: 2
-Garrison: 3 Fourth Rate Warships, 2 Second Rate Warships, 4 First Rate Warships
Swedish India: 12
-Manpower: 85
-Garrison: 7 Infantry Brigades, 2 Second Rate Warships, 4 First Rate Warships, 2 Oslo-class Warships
Tadjoura: 4
-Garrison: 3 Infantry Brigades, 2 First Rate Warships, 1 Norwich-class Warship, 3 Oslo-class Warships
Vinland: 49
-Manpower: 100
-Garrison: 11 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade, 1 Second Rate Warship, 8 First Rate Warships, 10 Oslo-class Warships
Zanzibar: 6
-Garrison: 5 Infantry Brigades, 5 Oslo-class Warships

Home Urban Road Paving: 163/750
Scandinavian Railroad Projects: 115/1,500

Serbia
Absolute Monarchy: King Louis Albert (Conservative)
Capital: Belgrade
Manpower: 56 (+1)
Total Economy: 1 (+19)
Army: 4 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Type: Hungarian Army 1837
Navy: 5 Alexandria-class Warships

Switzerland
Republic: The Guard Party (Conservative)
Capital: Zurich
Manpower: 159 (+2)
Total Economy: 4 (+8; 31 occupied)
Army: 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Cavalry Brigade
Army Organization Style: Swiss Home Guard 1848

United Kingdom of Great Britain: crezth
Constitutional Monarchy: King John IX/Whigs (Liberal)
Capital: London
Education: Localized Schooling
Manpower: 1,770 (+18)
Total Economy: 1 (+567)
Domestic Policies: -118
-Education: -18
-Imperial Administration: -100
Army: 10 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades
Army Organization Style: British Army Standard 1835
Navy: 51 Second Rate Warships, 5 First Rate Warships, 29 Norwich-Class Warships, 36 Monarch-class Warships, 5 Hermes-class Armed Transports
Navy Quality: 22
Colonies: 161
Spoiler :

Australia: 11
-Manpower: 13
-Garrison: 5 Infantry Brigades, 2 Third Rate Warships
British China: 2
-Garrison: 56 Infantry Brigade, 16 Cavalry Brigades, 23 Artillery Brigades
-Stability: 6
British East Indies: 2
British India: 30
-Manpower: 69
-Garrison: 16 Infantry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades, 19 Third Rate Warships, 28 Second Rate Warships, 12 First Rate Warships, 23 Monarch-class Warships, 27 Norwich-class Warships, 14 Hermes-class Armed Transports
British West Indies: 3
Gabon: 0
Ghana: 1
Luana: 0
Malaysia: 42
-Garrison: 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade
Newfoundland: 10
-Manpower: 6
Senegal: 2
-Stability: 5
Sierra Leone: 2
-Garrison: 2 Infantry Brigades, 3 Third Rate Warships, 1 Second Rate Warship
-Stability: 4
Vietnam: 32
-Garrison: 3 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades
-Stability: 5

The Americas
Spoiler :

Argentina:
Republic: Liberal Party
Capital: Buenos Aires
Manpower: 161 (+2)
Economic Points: 0 (+39)
Domestic Policies: -6
-National Administration: -5
Navy: 1 Fifth Rate Warship, 4 Third Rate Warships, 5 Virjheid-class Warships
Naval Infrastructure Project: 66/200

Chile
Presidential Dictatorship: Jose Hernandez (Conservative)
Capital: Santiago
Manpower: 114 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+21)
Army Quality: 7
Infrastructure Project: 147/250

Colombia:
Republic: Party of Buendia (Moderate)
Capital: Bogota
Manpower: 40 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+21)
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades, 6 Cavalry Brigades, 7 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 3 Fifth Rate Warships, 4 Fourth Rate Warships, 13 Third Rate Warships
Navy Quality: 7
Naval Modernization Program: 63/75

Ecuador
Absolute Monarchy: King Simon (Conservative)
Capital: Quito
Manpower: 73 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+22)
Army: 8 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 3 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 14 Second Rate Warships, 1 Libertador-class Warship
Urban Road Paving: 63/150

Empire of Brazil: Luckymoose
Constitutional Monarchy: Emperor Pedro II (Conservative)/Party of Order (Conservative)
Capital: Rio de Janeiro
Manpower: 311 (+3)
Economic Points: 0 (+53)
Domestic Policies: -16
-Naval Academy: -3
Army: 8 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 1 Second Rate Warship, 2 First Rate Warships, 17 Libertador-class Warships, 3 Malicioso-class Warships

Jacksonia: nuclear kid
Presidential Dictatorship: James Evans (Conservative)
Capital: Jefferson
Manpower: 39 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+20)
Army: 5 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: United States Army 1836
Navy: 5 Second Rate Warships
Navy Quality: 13
Port Development Project: 30/65
Road Construction Initiative: 23/100

Jamaica
Military Dictatorship: General Philip Burton (Conservative)
Capital: Kingston
Manpower: 17 (+1)
Total Economy: 0 (+18)
Army: 5 Infantry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 7 Second Rate Warships
Governmental Palace: 66/80

New Spain: Grandkhan
Presidential Dictatorship: Carlos Rivera (Conservative)
Capital: Managua
Manpower: 51 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+33)
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades, 4 Cavalry Brigades, 6 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 1 Santiago-class Armed Transport, 1 Granada-class Warship, 3 Alexandria-class Warships, 1 Libertador-class Warship

Panama
Republic: Conservative Party
Capital: Panama City
Manpower: 21 (+1)
Economic Points: 23 (+20)
Army: 4 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 8 Second Rate Warships

Paraguay
Republic: de Francia Party (Conservative)
Capital: Asuncion
Manpower: 78 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+23)
Army: 7 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Paraguayan National Railways: 181/450

United States of America (Scott Faction): Circuit
Presidential Dictatorship: Alfred Scott (Conservative)
Capital: Washington D.C.
Manpower: 746 (+4)
Economic Points: 1 (+167)
Domestic Policies: -8
-Education: -8
Army: 16 Infantry Brigades, 7 Cavalry Brigades, 10 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: United States Army 1836
Navy: 4 Second Rate Warships, 2 First Rate Warships, 3 Washington-class Warships, 1 Libertador-class Warship, 2 Helsinki-class Transports, 1 Norwich-class Warship

Uruguay
Republic: Republican Coalition (Moderate)
Capital: Montevideo
Manpower: 87 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+18)
Army: 2 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades
Navy: 2 Second Rate Warships, 1 First Rate Warship
Uruguay Integration Program: 128/150

Venezuela
Presidential Dictatorship: President Carlos Soublette (Conservative)
Capital: Caracas
Manpower: 129 (+1)
Economic Points: 36 (+37)
Stability: 3
Army: 5 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: Spanish Army 1820
Navy: 1 Third Rate Warship, 10 First Rate Warships, 4 Virjheid-class Warships, 4 Toledo-class Warships, 1 Neptuno-class Warship

Africa/Middle East
Spoiler :

Abyssinia
Absolute Monarchy: Emperor Ali II (Conservative)
Capital: Addis Ababa
Education: Clergy Only
Manpower: 441 (+4)
Economic Points: 0 (+14)
Army: 3 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade
Army Quality: 4
Army Organization Style: Orthodox
Agricultural Project: 182/350

Cizre Bohtan
Absolute Monarchy: Emir Badr Beg (Conservative)
Capital: Cizre
Manpower: 231 (+2)
Economic Points: 0 (+22)
Army: 20 Infantry Brigades, 6 Cavalry Brigades, 5 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: Mamluk Army 1834

Madagascar
Absolute Monarchy: Queen Ranavalona (Conservative)
Capital: Antananarivo
Manpower: 71 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+25)
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades
Army Quality: 2
Army Organization Style: Pre-Gunpowder
Naval Infrastructure Development: 124/250

Mamluk Caliphate: Justo
Absolute Monarchy: Caliph Abdul Bitar (Moderate)
Capital: Cairo
Manpower: 2,602 (+26)
Economic Points: 140 (+92)
Domestic Policies: -43
-Arab Culture Project: -10
-Imperial Administration: -30
Army: 30 Infantry Brigades, 10 Cavalry Brigades, 10 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 12 Third Rate Warships, 16 First Rate Warships, 6 Alexandria-class Warships, 32 Crescent-class Warships
Navy Quality: 12

Oman
Absolute Monarchy: Khalid bin Sultan (Reactionary)
Capital: Muscat
Manpower: 207 (+2)
Economic Points: 42 (+20)
Army: 6 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 17 Alexandria-class Warships

Persia
Absolute Monarchy: Nasar al-din Shah (Conservative)
Capital: Tehran
Manpower: 1,651 (+17)
Economic Points: 5 (+100)
Domestic Policies: -27
-Imperial Administration: -25
Army: 30 Infantry Brigades, 12 Cavalry Brigades, 12 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: British Army Standard 1835
Navy: 30 Crescent-class Warships

Tripolitania
Absolute Monarchy: Sultan Yusuf Al-Mahdi (Conservative)
Capital: Tripoli
Manpower: 159 (+2)
Economic Points: 31 (+20)
Navy: 4 Third Rate Warships, 8 First Rate Warships, 12 Crescent-class Warships

Tunis
Absolute Monarchy: Bey Yusuf Pasha (Conservative)
Capital: Tunis
Manpower: 62 (+1)
Economic Points: 30 (+29)
Army: 8 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 39 Crescent-class Warships

Turkish Sultanate
Absolute Monarchy: Sultan Selim (Conservative)
Capital: Konya
Manpower: 289 (+3)
Economic Points: 0 (+19)
Domestic Polices: -1
Army: 10 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 10 Crescent-class Warships

Yemen
Absolute Monarchy: King Mohammed Rashid (Conservative)
Capital: Sana'a
Manpower: 50 (+1)
Economic Points: 0 (+15)
Stability: 4
Army: 5 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade
Army Organization Style: Islamic
Navy: 4 Fifth Rate Warships, 4 Third Rate Warships
Centralization: 155/200

Zulu Kingdom
Absolute Monarchy: King Mpande (Conservative)
Capital: Ulundi
Education: Oral Tradition
Manpower: 45 (+1)
Economic Points: 5 (+5)
Domestic Policies: None
Army: 5 Infantry Brigades

Asia/Pacific
Spoiler :

Ascendant's Kingdom of Holy China: kentharu
Military Dictatorship: General Kong (Reactionary)
Capital: Peking
Manpower: 21,564 (+216)
Economic Points: 1 (+150)
Domestic Policies: -22
-Education: -22
Army: 107 Infantry Brigades, 20 Cavalry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade
Army Organization Style: Asiatic

Burma
Absolute Monarchy: King Pagan (Reactionary)
Capital: Amarapura
Manpower: 555 (+6)
Economic Points: 1 (+55)
Domestic Issues: -11
-National Administration: -10
Army: 33 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 9 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: Burmese Army 1839
Navy: 12 Fifth Rate Warships, 1 Fourth Rate Warship, 16 First Rate Warships

Japan: Quisani
Absolute Monarchy: Emperor Komei (Moderate)
Capital: Kyoto
Manpower: 2,634 (+26)
Economic Points: 7 (+67)
Domestic Policies: -18
Army: 4 Infantry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades
Navy: 12 Fifth Rate Warships, 1 Second Rate Warship, 3 First Rate Warships, 3 Kanrin-Maru-class Warships, 2 Virjheid-class Warships
Colonies: 17
Spoiler :

Korea: 17
-Garrison: 5 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades

Khazak Khanate
Khanate: Khan Kennessary (Conservative)
Manpower: 167 (+2)
Economic Points: 35 (+5)
Army: 44 Cavalry Brigades
Army Quality: 3

Siam
Absolute Monarchy: Rama III (Reactionary)
Capital: Bangkok
Manpower: 1,038 (+10)
Economic Points: 1 (+34)
Domestic Policies: -6
Army: 13 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 4 Artillery Brigades
Army Organization Style: Asiatic Standard 1835

Tibet
Theocracy: Dali Lama IX (Conservative)
Capital: Lhasa
Manpower: 2,309 (+23)
Economic Points: 0 (+15)
Army: 27 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 4 Artillery Brigades
Army Quality: 5
Army Organization Style: Asiatic
Fortification Project: 127/250

Zunghar Khanate
Khanate: Khan Tsewang-Dorji (Reactionary)
Manpower: 216 (+3)
Economic Points: 82 (+12)
Army: 70 Cavalry Brigades

Remember, all technologies can only be researched once and the bonus will only be given immediately to the first nation which researches it. After the technology is researched the resulting benefits will eventually make their way to the rest of the world. Regardless, you can expect 3-5 years with a significant advantage if you are the first to a technology. If a technology has not been researched by a certain point, they will be automatically researched in the standard abstract way with no nation receiving as immediate or significant advantages. There are a few exceptions to this rule, as some civilian technologies will not emerge until its military counterpart has been created by the government.

Army Technologies

Breech-loading Artillery
Cost: 750 EP
Effect: +2 Army Quality
Being Researched By: None

Repeaters
Cost: 500 EP
Effect: +2 Army Quality
Being Researched By: None

Navy Technologies

None Available at this time

Army Organization Types

To adapt a new type of Army Organization, subtract your current EP cost per unit from your hoped EP per unit (0s should be rounded up to 1) plus an additional base upgrade cost of 1 EP. Multiply the new number by the amount of brigades you have in your army. That'll be the cost of adapting the new Army Organization for your nation. When you begin the process, I will provide the cost as a project in your stats to save you the calculation effort. Upon completion you will go to the new style.

To create a new Organization type you simply must pay the above upgrade fee in addition to a 20 EP payment for the new type. You may determine your own levels of each stat in the following manner: simply distribute your total Army Quality into the four stats of organization, and that will be your new type of organization following the upgrade.

In Development Army Organizations​
Spoiler :

Dutch Republican Army 18??
Cost per brigade: 9 EP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 9
Melee: 2
Mobility: 3
Discipline: 3

Available Army Organizations​

Spoiler :

Pre-Gunpowder
Cost per brigade: 1 EP, 1 Manpower, Cannot Build Artillery

Firepower: 0
Mobility: 0
Discipline: 0

Early Gunpowder
Cost per brigade: 1 EP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 1
Melee: 1

Asiatic
Cost per brigade: 2 EP, 1 Manpower

Discipline: 1

Islamic
Cost per brigade: 3 EP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 2
Mobility: 2

Orthodox

Firepower: 3
Mobility: 1

European Standard 1820

Firepower: 4
Melee: 0

Spanish Army 1820
Cost per brigade: 4 EP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 5

British Army 1820
Cost per brigade: 4 EP, 1 Manpower

Swedish Army 1820
Cost per brigade: 5 EP, 1 Manpower

Discipline: 2

Mamluk Army 1834
Cost per brigade: 6 EP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 6

British Army Standard 1835

Firepower: 7

Swedish Army 1835
Cost per brigade: 7 EP, 1 Manpower

Melee: 3

European Standard 1835 (Available to all European and American nations)

Asiatic Standard Army 1835 (Available to all Asian Nations)
Cost Per Brigade: 3 EP, 1 Manpower

Spanish Nuevo Tercio
Cost Per Brigade: 8 EP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 8

United States Army 1836
Cost Per Brigade: 5 EP, 1 Manpower

Hungarian Army 1837
Cost Per Brigade: 5 EP, 1 Manpower

Austrian Army 1838
Cost Brigade: 7 EP, 1 Manpower

Burmese Army 1839
Cost per Brigade: 4 EP, 1 Manpower

Moscowy Standard 1847
Cost per Brigade: 5 EP, 1 Manpower

Swiss Home Guard 1848
Cost per Brigade: 7 EP, 1 Manpower

Naval Units

I'd like to state that it was fairly common practice to purchase ships from overseas rather than building your own. That is the reason for the Naval quality requirements for all vessels. Though you may not be able to build a particular fleet, you may still be allowed to buy your ships from another powers. Major powers, you can reap a pretty profit through naval construction. One final caveat on naval construction: To be able to use any ships at all you must have a naval quality of at least 1. For more information on this, see the related section in the ruleset.

To create a new naval unit you simply must pay a 20 EP payment for the new type. You may determine your own levels of each stat in the following manner: simply distribute your total Navy Quality into the three or four other stats of a naval vessel. The type of energy used to power the vessel is dictated by your level of technology at the time of design. Unlike army organization types, you may build any style of warship assuming you meet the level of Naval Quality required.

All naval units can be scrapped for a return of 25% of their purchase cost.

Available modes of propulsion for new designs:

Sail: The oldest style of warship, using solely the winds to power its movement. These vessels are of course vulnerable to bad winds but are all solid fighting machines.

Paddle-Wheeled Steamer: These vessels typically are large and use massive paddle wheels to power their movement with sails available for backup use. Unfortunately the paddlewheels are vulnerable to enemy fire in combat.

Screw Powered Steamer: These are the most advanced steam vessels, but still typically possess sails, due to being able to obtain faster speeds with the wind than coal. They lack the exposed paddle wheels of earlier steamships, making them better as warships.

Sailing Vessels
Spoiler :

Fifth Rate Warship
Cost: 1 EP, requires Naval Quality of 1 or greater

Transport and Marine Capacity: 0

Fourth Rate Warship
Cost: 2 EP, requires Naval Quality of 3 or greater

Third Rate Warship
Cost per unit: 3 EP, requires Naval Quality of 5 or greater

Transport and Marine Capacity: 1

Second Rate Warship
Cost per unit: 4 EP, requires Naval Quality of 7 or greater

Firepower: 4
Transport and Marine Capacity: 2

First Rate Warship
Cost per unit: 5 EP, requires Naval Quality of 9 or greater

Paddle-Wheel Steamer Warships
Spoiler :

Granada-Class Warship
Designer: Empire of Holy Spain
Designed: 1832
Cost per unit: 7 EP, requires Naval Quality of 13 or greater

Mobility: 5

Santiago-Class Armed Transport
Designed: 1832

Transport and Marine Capacity: 6

Alexandria-Class Warship
Designer: Mamluk Caliphate
Designed: 1838
Cost Per Unit: 5 EP, Requires Naval Quality of 9 or greater

Kanrin-Maru-Class Warship
Designer: Japan
Designed: 1843
Cost Per Unit: 5 EP, Requires Naval Quality of 9 or greater

Mobility: 7
Transport and Marine Capacity:0

Screw Steamer Warships
Spoiler :

Norwich-Class Warshsip
Designer: United Kingdom of Great Britain
Designed: 1835
Cost per unit: 9 EP, requires Naval Quality of 17 or greater

Firepower: 11
Mobility: 6

Hermes-Class Armed Transport
Designed: 1836

Mobility: 8
Transport and Marine Capacity: 7

Neptuno-class Warship
Designed: 1837
Cost per unit: 9 Ep, Requires Naval Quality of 17 or greater

Mobility: 8

Toledo-class Warship

Firepower: 12

Oslo-class Warship
Designer: Sweden
Cost per Unit: 7 EP, Requires Naval Quality of 13 or greater

Firepower: 8

Helsinki-class Transport
Designer: Sweden
Cost per unit: 7 EP, Requires Naval Quality of 13 or greater

Mobility: 6
Transport and Marine Capacity: 5

Crescent-class Warship
Designer: Mamluk Caliphate
Designed: 1839
Cost per unit: 6 EP, Requires Naval Quality of 11 or greater

Mobility: 4

Virjheid-class Warship
Designer: Republic of the Netherlands
Designed: 1839

Monarch-Class Warship
Designed: 1841

Mobility: 9

Washington-Class Warship
Designer: United States of America
Designed: 1841

Transport and Marine Capacity: 3

Libertador-Class Warship
Designer: Empire of Brazil
Designed: 1842
Cost per unit: 5 EP, requires Naval Quality of 9 or greater

Mobility: 7

Malicioso-Class Warship
Designer: Empire of Brazil
Designed: 1851
Cost Per Unit: 7 EP, requires Naval Quality of 13 or greater

Ironclad Sail Steamers

These are ironclads which are built along the same lines as older sailing warships, but with the basic iron coating to increase the defensive nature of the vessel. They possess different stats than earlier craft/

Firepower: Functions in the same manner as any older Warship
Mobility: The speed and maneuverability of the warship
Armor: The level of armor the ship's iron coating provides as resistance against other ships' firepower

Spoiler :

None Yet

Global Statistics as of 1850​

Total Global Manpower: 66,322
Total Global EP: 4,410
Average Global Stability: 7.1
Average Army Quality: 9.7
Average Naval Quality: 7.7

Most Manpower: Ascendant's Kingdom of Holy China
-2: Moscowy
-3: Korea
-4: Japan
-5: Mamluk Caliphate
Largest Economy: Empire of Holy Spain
-2: United Kingdom of Great Britain
-3: Republic of the Netherlands
-4: Scandinavia
-5: Italy
Most Domestic Spending: Empire of Holy Spain
-3: Scandinavia
-4: Republic of the Netherlands
Largest Army: Empire of Holy Spain/United Kingdom of Great Britain (tie)
-3: Ascendant's Kingdom of Holy China
-4: Kingdoms of Paris-Burgundy
-5: Moscowy
Best Army: Empire of Holy Spain
-3: Scandinavia
-4: Republic of the Netherlands
-5: Languedoc
Largest Navy: Empire of Holy Spain
Best Navy: Empire of Holy Spain
-5: Denmark

Power Ratings as of 1850​

The Great Eight

1. Empire of Holy Spain (32,408)
2. United Kingdom of Great Britain (24,675)
3. Republic of the Netherlands (12,226)
4. Scandinavia (11,904)
5. Kingdoms of Paris-Burgundy (8,010)
6. Italy (7,802)
7. Roman Empire (7,628)
8. Languedoc (6,736)

Regional Powers

9. Moscowy (6,020)
10. Mamluk Caliphate (5,800)
11. Persia (5,762)
12. Poland (5,633)
13. Ascendant's Kingdom of Holy China (4,488)
14. Hanover (3,990)
15. Denmark (3,536)
16. Hungary (3,369)
17. United States of America (Scott Faction) (3,246)
18. Austria (3,215)
19. Novgorod (3,182)

Independent Nations

20. Bavaria (2,669)
21. United States of America (Gubernatorial Faction) (2,600)
22. Brandenburg (2,444)
23. Cizre Bohtan (2,384)
24. Switzerland (2,236)
25. Flanders (2,220)
26. Normandy (2,210)
27. Burma (2,048)
28. Empire of Brazil (2,036)
29. Colombia (1,964)
30. New Spain (1,962)
31. Brittany (1,953)
32. Georgia (1,924)
33. Japan (1,807)
34. Sardinia (1,740)
35. Tunis (1,681)
36. Portugal (1,654)
37. Poitou (1,605)
38. Dauphine (1,560)
39. Turkish Sultanate (1,520)
40. Siam (1,500)
41. Tripolitania (1,480)
42. Argentina (1,454)
43. Pomerania (1,353)
44. Venezuela (1,272)
45. South Africa (1,240)
46. Ecuador (1,208)
47. Oman (1,050)
48. Azerbaijan (1,036)
49. Paraguay (964)
50. Jacksonia (960)
50. Kiev (960)
52. Chile (954)
53. Florida (933)
54. Panama (758)
55. Jamaica (745)
56. Serbia (630)
57. Tibet (620)
58. Cherokee Nation (570)
59. Uruguay (555)
60. Yemen (553)
61. Corsica (532)
62. Madagascar (526)
63. Korea (500)
64. Zunghar Khanate (380)
65. Abyssinia (364)
66. Khazak Khanate (232)
67. Zulu Kingdom (110)

So, as it has been seen that the "Lessons of the Wasteland" post was helpful to players in Beginning of the World as We Know It, I have determined to provide such a post for this NES. Within this post I hope to provide you, the player, with insight into how I moderate and ways to use the ruleset to accomplish your goals. Furthermore, I hope to give some basic tips and tricks to help players unfamiliar with either my style of moderation or NESing as a whole. I will accept submissions from players to these categories, pending review by myself.

Capto Iugulum/EQandcivfanatic Tips and Tricks​

1. Remember to read the whole update. Something which may not directly impact your nation this turn could one day affect you greatly. Remember to keep your orders short, concise, and comprehensible. No battle plan survives contact with the enemy. If you want to add flavor to your orders feel free to do so in the topic. (Submitted by warman17)

2. Don't trust anyone. Even me. Behind every action and word there is typically an self-serving motivation. A British prime minister once said, "The British Empire has no natural allies or natural enemies." An alliance which serves your nation one day may not the next. Keep this in mind, and remember, you serve your nation over all others.

3. Governments have a tendency to fluctuate with political parties in charge, regardless on whether or not you planned for it. A monarch can die, to be replaced with one who's more liberal or conservative than his predecessor. Or a republic can vote out a conservative president and replace it with a liberal one. Regardless of your own OOC goals, I highly recommend you play in character as the new leader you may receive. If you wish to bring about change which favors your OOC goals, there are methods to do so (player run military coups/rebellions, or simply by making sure you educate the monarch's heir in the appropriate manner).

4. National power is a waiting game, and is rarely bought overnight. While you may be tempted to annex the entire Spanish or British Empire after humiliating and defeating them on the battlefield, be aware that this will create massive instability within your new realms. Most likely if you take too much, you risk losing everything. It may be cliché, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

5. Religion is a trick issue, even in modern politics. While on the surface the clergy may seem to be a powerless group, they do have a nasty ability to rile the unwashed masses to support them. On the other hand, give them too much power and the middle and upper classes will be rallied against them and you. Find a balance which suits you and your nation.

6. Your manpower is the blood of your nation. Lose too much of it, and your nation will die.

7. Immigrants look for several things in their nation of choice, and here they are, listed out nice and neat for you: Empty land to settle, low government control of the nation and economy, a small military, a similar language (if applicable), relations of the mother country with their destination, and the lack of involvement in a major war.

8. Since we referenced Immigrants, let's talk about Emigrants. Here are the reasons why your people might choose to find greener pastures elsewhere: Overcrowding at home, lack of economic opportunities, involvement in a war or large military, and disagreements with the politics of the motherland.

8. The economy is the trickiest hobbit of all. Changes in politics, demographics, and even just in the wind could lead to a surge or fall in your economy. Be ever conscious of your effects, but also be aware that not every change is under your control.

9. Projects can be fickle things. While there's always a set cost from the beginning, there's always a chance of failure or backlash from some political faction or another. On the other hand, the rewards of projects can be great, setting you ahead of your opponents. As with so many other things, the balance is your choice.

10. Virtually all nations will have some level of policy expenditure. To this end, it's always good to have some level of banked EP. You never know when you may need to go through a period of deficit spending.

11. Education costs money, sometimes a LOT of money, every year. While the early eras of this NES are unlikely to have this as a major expense, it'll still be there. Don't be too eager to switch to a "higher" type of learning. While the technological gains may be worth it, it'll cost you.

12. If you wish to wage war, prepare for war. I recommend reading up on OTL wars of the 19th century to gain a better knowledge of how wars were waged. While total war was in its infancy in this era, it was not quite here yet, with some notable exceptions. Regardless, nations which engage in total war are frequently fought out and devastated for decades to come. Be very wary of pushing the button for total warfare.

13. I may have stated a variation upon this earlier, but here I shall be a tad bit more specific. Beware of striving for the total destruction of an enemy or their empire. It may be tempting to add all of that color (your color) to the map, but RESIST! Fight the urge! While it may seem wonderful to double the size of your nation, consider that the people who live in that area may not exactly be happy to see you (some exceptions apply). Every bit of land you grab is another bit of land which could pull you into a ugly, never ending, colonial war.

14. I try to get updates in on time and on the date posted. Even if I miss this once or twice, don't get complacent. If you miss orders for two updates in a row, I will boot you from your nation, opening it to someone else.

15. Despite what I said above, don't be too concerned if you miss a single update. I will NPC your nation and continue any wars/policies you have in place, though I will not start anything new. If you come under attack I will do my utmost to defend your nation, though it may or may not be better than what you could have done.

You may post beyond this point.

No-bark seal of approval.

The United States is here.

Confirming reservation as Sweden.

Confirming Persia.

Confirming Prussia.

United Kingdom here!

Top Bottom