A fun Deity map with a nice capitol. Peter/Pangaea/normal speed

PeteJ

Warlord
Its been a little while since I've messed with deity so I figured I would roll a map to share with you guys. Its Peter of Russia on a standard pangaea map.

Starting screenshot:
Spoiler :

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Deity Peter BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    34.3 KB · Views: 63
I might play this one, though I`m Ill-experienced with pang. Depending what the scout reveals I would be tempted to wander around with the settler somewhere N/W. Seems unlikely there`s an AI S/E of us with the tundra.

Settling on the marble is an option but we would move away from the AI, rather then towards them.

Hows that a nice capitol. :s

How is it not a nice capital? :confused:

Played a bit......about the map:

Spoiler :
The Capital ends up being a very nice spot but the surrounding land is less than ideal. Like seriously, I'd rate it around 3 out of 10. I played this 2X. 1st time I settled on Marble and founded 5 cities but most spots were weak and to make it worse, Charlie ends up founding a city next to two of my other cities and then of course, he gets that city as a Holy City and takes away what little land/tiles I even had in those cities. The only good thing is eventually your Capital boundaries get Horsies.

Both games tech went Agr>Min>BW>Wheel>Pottery>Writing>Asthetics>2turns Alpha then backfill techs while heading up Lit/Music and backfilling again.Anyways, Ended up missing Music first by a few turns which slowed down my Cuirs date and with poor cities and few tiles to whip from it didn't go so well.

The second time I played I SIP and went straight to AXE and took over 3 smaller, JUNGLE cities of Cyrus but at least that gave me room to settle 6 cities with ample food once CS came in. Besides, you get a few workers from Cyrus so that helps speed up the jungle process. Ended up getting Music first this time, even though it was 3 turns slower than the 1st time (??). It's 900AD and I've got 19 Cuirs with more coming. I'm hoping to take over enough land so I can get to CAVS at a decent date and win the game.

ROFL ..
... dogpiled on T59 (3x Civs: Persia, Portugal, Charlemagne)
T89 ...
... game over.

Barbarian archer ate my worker T50.
DoW ...
... 8x Immortals, 8x Swordsman, ??x Axemen, ??x Spearmen
... vs
... 4x Archers (+8x Archers built during war), +5x Warriors.
... 1x GG (2x Archers City Defense III, 1x Warrior Combat/Melee)
... Lost the 2nd and 3rd Cities on DoW turn.

Will try again later 8)

It's a 2 5 food capital with no early commerce. What makes it good? With spot you have to factor in how nice your other spots are too. 1 Decent spot isn't good enough to be classified as a nice capitol.

It's a 2 5 food capital with no early commerce. What makes it good? With spot you have to factor in how nice your other spots are too. 1 Decent spot isn't good enough to be classified as a nice capitol.

Well if you settle marble, you get the 3h city tile, two 5f resources, 3 hills, 3 flood plains and a bunch of river. Sure if the corn was wet and there was a gold mine it would be better but you can't have it all.

it looks like obsolete's start if you add stone to it :).

I read the spoilers a bit, I wonder what he would do with it...

ToA fail gold, Oracle something good and 500 BC TGL should be strong plays here, but since I never won Deity game, what I know...

@Zero

I think the Capital itself it actually pretty nice. Wherever you decide to settle you're looking at a minimum of 4C when working 5tiles which could be a lot worse. And if you do:

Spoiler :
SIP while teching Agr/Min/BW/Wheel/Pottery (you have a plains grassland copper) so you can throw down 2cottages on both FP while working a 5H mined marble hill, 5H copper mine/ and 3H1C river grasshill which gets you nice production (even while rushing) and in a few turns a 16C Capital at 100% research. Not the best but not too shabby. It's too bad the land around you sucks balls.

@Zero

I think the Capital itself it actually pretty nice. Wherever you decide to settle you're looking at a minimum of 4C when working 5tiles which could be a lot worse. And if you do:

Spoiler :
SIP while teching Agr/Min/BW/Wheel/Pottery (you have a plains grassland copper) so you can throw down 2cottages on both FP while working a 5H mined marble hill, 5H copper mine/ and 3H1C river grasshill which gets you nice production (even while rushing) and in a few turns a 16C Capital at 100% research. Not the best but not too shabby. It's too bad the land around you sucks balls.

I base what is a good start on the land around the capital much more than just the one spot. So that is REALLY what makes it not to nice in my eyes.

@ RD-BH

Do you play Deity often? Why do you think you got DoW on??

Used to ... been goofing on noble for a few weeks.
DoW was just RNG as soon as my borders touched Persia.
... (had open borders with everyone)
Dogpile after that. (more RNG)

I doubt it'll happen next play through. 8)

^^^Zx_Zero_Zx
... the land around this start is pretty godawful

I base what is a good start on the land around the capital much more than just the one spot. So that is REALLY what makes it not to nice in my eyes.

Hows that a nice capitol. :s

Then be more clear next time ;) If you settle on the marble, with just the visible tiles the cap is easily above average. Everything in the fog is the icing on the cake. The good or terrible land around the cap has nothing to do with how good the cap itself is.

Then be more clear next time ;) If you settle on the marble, with just the visible tiles the cap is easily above average. Everything in the fog is the icing on the cake. The good or terrible land around the cap has nothing to do with how good the cap itself is.

It has absolutely everything to do with how good a start is. Besides tiles shown in the capital is average to me, as I don't really build wonders besides The Oracle.

*Shiny shiny whistling*

Too bad the marble doesn't have access to fresh water. Kinda hard not to settle on it.

@Commerce : rivers + marble = commerce. And PHI + marble = lots more. Not as convenient to use early as stone but, still...
Early Pottery is appealing from the looks of the starting screenshot. Farming the FPs might be the best move, though. Hard to tell from scratch.

I'll try that one, in any case. May try to nab the Temple of Artemis + Oracle.

Start =/= Capitol, so your arguing different things. I'll probably play this as trying to get more free time to play civ lately :)

Top Bottom