The Celtic Empire

peaceful

Chieftain
The Celtic Empire
Thomas came home from school in a furious mood. He slammed the door on his way in and sat down at the kitchen table with his arms crossed. “What’s wrong dear?” his mother asked. “I have a history test next week and I haven’t a clue about Celtic history.” “Why don’t you asked your grandfather to help you he was brilliant at history when he was your age, go ask him, I’m sure he will help you.” “Fine”, he said half-heartedly.
That evening his grandfather came over.

Thomas watched him walked through the door, Grandpa James was an imposing figure for 81 years of age, his big thick hands and long trench coat always left Thomas with a sense of awe, there was an air of mystery about his grandfather. It seemed like he had come from another world. Looking through his wide-rimmed glasses at his grandson, he said,” I hear you need help learning history. I think we will have to start from the very beginning, all the way back to the very first Celt, Brennus.

As they sat down at the kitchen table, James began,” In 4000 B.C., the Celts were nomads, a hunter gatherer people. A young Brennus saw the problems of never having a permanent home meant they were vulnerable to raids by other tribes and the other inherent difficulties. When they set up camp close to a stream, with a forest nearby and green fields around them, Brennus believed that this would be a great place to make a permanent settlement.
Eventually the day came to move on, Brennus asked the leader of the nomads at the time, Aran, why they moving on. He tried reasoning with Aran by trying to convince him that staying here would give them the chance to grow and become strong. But Aran would not listen, He did not want to abandon the old ways, But Brennus was determined that this place would become their permanent home.” If you won’t listen to reason then you will have to die.” said Brennus as he drew his weapon. “If that is what you wish, then come and try.”
He charged at the leader. A quick melee and it was over as Brennus plunged his sword threw Aran’s chest. The rest of the tribe was shocked at what had just unfolded before them. He removed his blood stained sword from the old Leader’s body .He raised it to the sky and proclaimed” I’m the new leader, no longer will we simply move from one place to another having no homes and no history, we will forge a permanent home for ourselves, a place where we can live in peace and our people will spread as far as the eye can see, and on this spot we will do it!” and with those words he plunged his sword into the ground as hard as he could.
Over the next few years the city was officially named Bibracte.

“Is that really how it happened?” asked Thomas. “Yes, that is the first piece of recorded history by our people”. Answered James. He could see the boy was hooked already. “Time for a cigarette, said Grandpa, as He took out one of his Bauer Gold Cigarettes, lit it and took a long draw.

Top Bottom