The Eternal War Competition Signup

Are you joining this competition?

• Total voters

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
EDIT: Get the game here.

A game of Civilization 2 played by a Reddit user named Lycerius has caused a lot of interest. This Thread is a more direct discussion. Many people have expressed interest in playing out the game and trying to break the stalemate described. Lycerius has indicated that he will upload a saved game.

Pending approval by the forum moderator Magic Gorter, we plan to organize the playing of this game as Game of the Month 136 (GOTM 136). Our hope is to create an "official" ranking of the attempts at winning this game, as well as a method of certifying that games were played without cheating.

If you are interested in playing in this competition, please vote in the poll. This will allow us to gauge how much interest there is in this competition beyond the semi-regular GOTM participants. This may impact decisions made by the Administration Committee (or if we even need one).

If you are interested in being a part of the Administration Committee, please make a post indicating so. Membership on this committee is limited to active participants in the Civ 2 community, including those who were active in the past. If you are a "returning" member interested in helping out for this project, please include a few links to threads that demonstrate your participation.

Actual Committee discussion will take place in the GOTM forum.

As said before, count me in.

Excellent.

I should mention that I'll be out of town from Thursday through Saturday (I'm graduating University), and may not have access to the internet during that time.

By the way, this Reddit post mentions that we're running the competition. Any Reddit users might want to up vote it.

Ok I loaded it up, only to realize I really CBF doing this haha, instead I think I'll just spectate, I'm sure some clever solution will end up on Youtube at some point.

Buuuut here's what I was thinking of doing if anyone wants ideas:
1) Make lots of paratroops
2) Take city with paratroops. They can't be nuked on the way there because they paradrop.
3) Once you have the enemy city, use starvation to get it down to 1 pop, and then gold rush a settler to remove that 1 pop. Thus, no more city, so it can't be retaken.

Of course, this doesn't stop the AI building more cities :(, and I don't remember the Civ 2 rules well enough to know if you can do what I've just described.

A game of Civilization 2 played by a Reddit user named Lycerius has caused a lot of interest. This Thread is a more direct discussion. Many people have expressed interest in playing out the game and trying to break the stalemate described. Lycerius has indicated that he will upload a saved game.

Pending approval by the forum moderator Magic Gorter, we plan to organize the playing of this game as Game of the Month 136 (GOTM 136). Our hope is to create an "official" ranking of the attempts at winning this game, as well as a method of certifying that games were played without cheating.

If you are interested in playing in this competition, please vote in the poll. This will allow us to gauge how much interest there is in this competition beyond the semi-regular GOTM participants. This may impact decisions made by the Administration Committee (or if we even need one).

If you are interested in being a part of the Administration Committee, please make a post indicating so. Membership on this committee is limited to active participants in the Civ 2 community, including those who were active in the past. If you are a "returning" member interested in helping out for this project, please include a few links to threads that demonstrate your participation.

Actual Committee discussion will take place in the GOTM forum.

It's a good idea to play this game (as GOTM). It would be great if you (and perhaps some others) could help me with checking the results and the organisation. It gives me more free time to play this game. It's ok to start earlier but it should be clear to all which rules are allowed/disallowed for this game and when the game should be submitted. As you mentioned saving as a scenario might be wise.... Further comments I will place in the GOTM section...

Pure awesomeness.

I just read about this on uber-blogger Andrew Sullivan's blog, so its definitely getting worldwide attention.

I haven't played Civ II in years and haven't played any form of Civ since last year when my uncle increased the RAM of my computer to 2 GB but didn't know he took out the old video card with one that won't let me play Civ IV BtS and that was 6 months ago or so. Reading the article and I was like "I have to get in on this asap!" and now here I am, somewhat of a veteran of the series but complete nub because this will be the first GOTM I will be participating in mostly because of how bleak the scenario is(I am quite the idealist if I do say so myself) and that my computer right now can only play Civ II till I get the money to buy a new and up-to-date video card. I surely will enjoy this. One more question: Where is the save.file btw?Nm, I found it on the reddit subthread:hammer2:

I haven't been excited for Civilization in at least the last couple of years!! Ironic, that I am elated over a scenario of a dystopia on such a prodigious scale.

I'm sure in! But I don't think (and really hope!) that I will have time to start playing a focused game until the EURO is over.
(Not the currency, the football tournament! ;))

Put me down as a tentative participant, conditional on whether or not I can actually get around to making Civ2 run on my laptop.

Fortunately, I've already checked out the Tech Support subforum, so I mostly know what I have to do.

Wow, it is unbelievable how much interest this game has generated.

One more question: Where is the save.file btw?

Lycerius has put up his save file on Reddit. We are currently working on turning it into a competition. (The main problem is that the date prevents the game from keeping score.) Within a few days we will have the competition ready. It will be GOTM 136 and will be announced here and in the GOTM forum.

I opened the Lycerius save and made some observations. Here is a summary:

Warlord difficulty

Besides the 3 superpowers, the Sioux are also in the game. Despite what Lycerius said, Americans are an enthusiastic ally of Celts (human player). Vikings are at war with both.

Celt power is supreme.

Cities: Celts 61, Vikings 39, Americans 31, Sioux ?
Units: Celts 137, Vikings 260, Americans 377, Sioux ?
Gold: Celts 6k, Vikings 4k, Americans 23k, Sioux ?

Land of the world: a couple of grasslands, plenty of swamps, some jungles, hills, mountains, tundra, and glacier. There are still several uninhabited islands and a few uninhabited regions of larger islands (mostly in the north).

Wonders of the world: all built; Shakespeare and Liberty lost.

Celtic military infrastructure: 7 SDI, 11 SAM, 3 Coastal fortress, 5 Airport, 5 port facilities, 5 barracks.

The Sioux have in 3991 AD four cities with really small sizes (around 2-3). They are also at war with the Vikings and all production is killed by maintenance of the circa 10 military units. But the Sioux have ca 2000 Gold which can help a lot in rush buying.

Wow - this makes me really tempted to try it, although I haven't played Civ II for over 10 years. Chances are pretty low that I actually will, so I voted 'no' in the poll.

It has been awhile since I have been on this forum or played civ. But after seeing the story I wanted to get the save game and see if I could do any better. I am not sure if I will enter the GOM but I have started playing it on my own.

Top Bottom