Next City Plot by Ace v2.3

Next City Plot by Ace v2.3 2016-11-14

This mod is not as valuable since Civilization 6 update (game v1.0.0.38) as of 2016-11-18 already includes the feature to show the next tile a city will grow to.
However, if I find some inspiration to extend the features of the vanilla game - I will come up with version 3.x of this mod.
Please, check back after a while.

This mod shows you when and where to the city will expand upon the next growth of cultural borders.
Currently the marker is available within the "Purchase tile" and "Manage citizens" city screens.

I'm open to any suggestions on improving this little mod.
Voice your opinions in the mod discussion thread, which I read frequently.
Please, also take your time to vote on some features I'm hesitant to change:
https://goo.gl/forms/yNy1FrewLAN7QXf22

Thank you for all the kind words and your input on mod features.

I. Screenshots
Spoiler :

II. Features
Spoiler :

1. Shows the next plot the city will expand to upon the next cultural borders growth.
  2. Displays the number of turns until cultural border growth.
  3. Supports localised strings based on text already available in the core localization files.
  4. Works on Purchase Tile and Manage Citizens screens.
  5. Works in Strategic view as well.

III. Known quirks
Spoiler :

1. The next plot is displayed only on the second turn since the city was placed. It's a feature of Civ6 game engine, where variable pCityCulture:GetNextPlot() is populated only a turn later. I should look into this.
  2. The given next plot may change with turns, which is a part of game mechanics. E.g.: For 5 turns straight the next plot marker says Rome wishes to expand to Stone, but right before the actual border growth the marker switches to Rice, and the city gets Rice the next turn. This is not a bug, but the City AI at work - it reconsidered population growth a priority over production at some point.
  3. The next plot label is displayed below the center of the tile. I just put it there because of free unused space, so the label position may change.
  4. Resource icons overlap with the next plot label, sometimes obstructing visibility of the marker. The resource icons layer has a higher "z-index", I can't change it at the moment.

IV. To Do
Spoiler :

1. Display next plot marker on all city screens while city is selected. (added since 2016-11-08)
  2. Update the next city plot text and tooltip when citizens are manually reassigned in a city. (added since 2016-11-08)
  3. Add a border outline to the next city plot like in Civ5. (added since 2016-11-08)
  4. Find a better position for the next plot label.
  5. Add a map option to show/hide the next plot marker.
  6. Convert the background of next city plot button into a progress bar.
  7. Show the culture cost of the next city plot in the tooltip.

V. Kudos
Spoiler :

VI. Changelog
Spoiler :

2016-11-01:
  • Initial release with basic features

2016-11-08:
  • Next city plot marker now also available at Manage Citizens screen
  • Border growth text now updates correctly when reassigning citizens
  • Added white border to the next city plot marker (Civ5 style)
  • The mod is now visible in the Additional Content screen (enabled by default)
  • Refined code, moved modifications into two new functions - ShowNextCityPlot() and HideNextCityPlot()

2016-11-14:
  • Fixed a crash on exiting the city screen at first turn on non-wrapped maps (e.g. Inland Sea)

VII. Installation
Spoiler :

1. Unzip the contents into the Civ6 Mods or DLC folder.
    "Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC" or
    "%UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods"
  2. Start a new game - after extraction this mod is enabled by default.
  3. Settle a city. Skip to the next turn. Open the "Purchase Tile" screen. Voilà!

VIII. Troubleshooting
Spoiler :

1. Check if any other mods you are using also contain files PlotInfo.lua or PlotInfo.xml - because only the changes from the last loaded mod with such files will show up in the game.
  2. You have to start a NEW game with this mod enabled to see the next city plot marker.
  3. The next city plot marker is visible only since the second turn after the city was placed.
Author
Ace Cooper
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 7 ratings

Latest updates

1. Next City Plot by Ace v2.3

Fixed a crash on exiting the city screen at first turn on non-wrapped maps, e.g. Inland Sea (tnx...
  2. Next City Plot by Ace v2.2

Better HideNextCityPlot() code Minor comments and cleanup "Never rush your quickfixes"
  3. Next City Plot by Ace v2.1

Added conditions for hiding the next city plot label of the previous city when switching between...
  4. Next City Plot by Ace v2

Next city plot marker now also available at Citizen Management screen Border growth text now...

Latest reviews

Great mod. Simple and useful. Thanks!
Thanks!
Thanks for offering this badly missed feature!
"Won't you run, live to fly, fly to live, Aces high!"
Such an important missing piece. Thanks.
Very Handy!
Great mod! I'd prefer to also see the "turns left for expansion" somewhere on the city quick view bottom right, where it also shows rounds to new citizen etc. - But this works good for now too. // Question: The mod is working but it isn't listed anywhere in the game. Normal?
Ace Cooper
Ace Cooper
Tnx for the review! My mod is very lean and changes only the PlotInfo files, describing the plot behaviour. For the City Panel (info block in the bottom right corner) I suggest you also install the Custom City Panel mod, which does exactly what you want and then some:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/divine-yuris-custom-city-panel.25430/
Yes great ! sooner or later this had to be taken care of
looking forward your mod improvment. A shame the vanilla game doesn't let us select it by ourselve...
Top Bottom