Ask a Libertarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone actually cared when I promised to post this thread, but I did promise to do so, and am now doing so. (And BTW, anyone who posts simply to say they didn't care will be given to the wrath of the mods;))

The Purpose of this Thread:

The purpose of this thread is to find out about Libertarianism as an ideology, to ask questions to Libertarians about their beliefs, and to ask about Libertarianism in general. This is NOT the place to troll Libertarianism.

What is a Libertarian?

I already got this question before I posted this thread, so I'll answer it preemptively. I capitalized Libertarian in the title, and every single time I've posted it in this thread, on purpose, and it means someone who supports small government in general, not just on social issues. Therefore, so called "Small l" libertarians are not invited to answer questions in this thread (But they are more than welcome to ask questions just like any other user.)

If you feel you qualify, and would like to participate, please PM me, and if I know who you are and see you as Libertarian, I will approve you. Ayn Rand and Amadeus approved in advance, simply because I know who they are and I know they qualify.

Notice: I do not respond in any official capacity, nor does anyone else. I'll try to make clear what Libertarians in general believe and what I personally believe.

Also note, anyone who is answering questions is encouraged to ignore troll questions, and to report them to the mods. I will always follow this policy. If you answer troll questions, it will cause problems for the thread.

List of Posters Approved (This will always be subject to update):

Domination3000 (Me)

Ayn Rand

Questions on hold (Pending Research)

When do you feel big L Libertarianism came of age as a distinct ideology/separated itself from small l classical liberalism/libertarianism (kosiosko 1)

Fire away folks!

When do you feel big L Libertarianism came of age as a distinct ideology/separated itself from small l classical liberalism/libertarianism

Though I hesitate to ask, considering your assertion that early-20th century Great Britain was a totalitarian state, what is the libertarian viewpoint in regards to imperialism or colonialism, and once a nation is established as an imperial power, what obligation does it have to those who are either within its territory or reliant on its power for their own security, to uphold that power and thereby ensure that security?

Excuse me? I didn't endorse this nonsense in any way whatsoever.

It was planned with me and Ayn Rand, I put you on the list in case you wanted to answer. I'll remove you as you seemed to request.

@Lord of Elves: Did I call it totalitarian? If I did, it was out of ignorance of the situation...

I am opposed to Colonialism, at least if its not consensual. I don't have an ideological problem with it as long as they WANT to be colonies (AKA Puerto Rico) but we have no right to hold them against their will.

I don't understand the rest of the question.

@kosioko 1- That question will take... a lot of research. I'll add something in the OP for "Complex questions" and go back to them later.

Domination: what makes you feel qualified enough to be able respond on behalf of all, or even most libertarians? What reading have you done on free market economics and libertarian ideology that makes you feel as though you are an expert in this area?

What makes you a libertarian? From your posting history, you don't seem to be of the kind of philosophy that allows people to follow their own mind.

Personally I'd put you down as a Free Market Fundie, with a side order of Religious Right. Neither of those are close to being Libertarian, of either the right leaning or left leaning varieties.

I've seen you diverge from actual libertarianism enough times to suggest you aren't libertarian.

For example: imposing morality on people through the state. That's not socially libertarian.

Interventionism isn't libertarian.

War hawkishness isn't libertarian.

The war on drugs isn't libertarian.

I don't know all your viewpoints, and I'm sure you have some libertarian viewpoints, but you're not a very good example of actual libertarian philosophy.

I could advocate for libertarianism better than you can, Dom. I challenge you on that.

You are not libertarian.

Domination: what makes you feel qualified enough to be able respond on behalf of all, or even most libertarians? What reading have you done on free market economics and libertarian ideology that makes you feel as though you are an expert in this area?

Did I claim to be... an expert?

You volunteered me without my consent. Doesn't that sound like something you should oppose?

Valid point....

What makes you a libertarian? From your posting history, you don't seem to be of the kind of philosophy that allows people to follow their own mind.

Personally I'd put you down as a Free Market Fundie, with a side order of Religious Right. Neither of those are close to being Libertarian, of either the right leaning or left leaning varieties.

I am hardly a fundie, though I am pro-free markets, which is essential to Libertarianism.

Also, according to pretty much every political test OTHER than political compass, I am a radical Libertarian. According to Political Compass, I'm a moderate Libertarian, but only moderate because of a lot of crap that has nothing to do with politics.

How do you rectify aggressive uses of force with libertarian principles?

To what extent should the government(ideally) be abolished/cut down?

What regulations, if any, do you support on corporations?

What happens when a monopoly forms?

Just to get you started.

Did I claim to be... an expert?

Valid point....

I am hardly a fundie, though I am pro-free markets, which is essential to Libertarianism.

Also, according to pretty much every political test OTHER than political compass, I am a radical Libertarian. According to Political Compass, I'm a moderate Libertarian, but only moderate because of a lot of crap that has nothing to do with politics.

EDIT: Sooner or later I'm going to decide I've had enough of the "You are not a Libertarian" crap, but I need to give a token defense first. Here goes:

I've seen you diverge from actual libertarianism enough times to suggest you aren't libertarian.

In your opinion.

For example: imposing morality on people through the state. That's not socially libertarian.

I oppose this.

Interventionism isn't libertarian.

Well, first of all, foreign policy has ZERO to do with Libertarianism. Second of all, a case could be made that intervening to spread liberty IS Libertarian. Third of all, I'm not that interventionist.

War hawkishness isn't libertarian.

I am not a war hawk however.

The war on drugs isn't libertarian.

And I oppose the war on drugs.

I could advocate for libertarianism better than you can, Dom. I challenge you on that.

What would be the terms of this challenge? You are hardly a Libertarian (Big L.) I would presume from your social views you probably are a libertarian (small l) but that is not the purpose of this thread.

You are not libertarian.

Proof?
How do you rectify aggressive uses of force with libertarian principles?

The same way you can justify using it on criminals. I don't deem the fact that its "A government" should give them extra protection.

In the practical sense, that doesn't work, but its where my train of mind is going.

Also, just because I want the US to get rid of one of the top 10 oppressive regimes in all history doesn't exactly make me a warhawk. In case you are wondering, I'm mostly against Iraq.
To what extent should the government(ideally) be abolished/cut down?

What regulations, if any, do you support on corporations?

Well, you can't put poison in water and then sell it (Or similar) but I think current regulations are too strict.

And I despise "Corporate welfare", if a corporation fails, it fails.

What happens when a monopoly forms?

I do support competition and oppose monopolies, so I favor legislation against markets acting to kill other markets instead of, you know, trying to make money. Causes too many problems for the market.

I'm not a libertarian, but I understand politics better than you do. And yes, you do support imposing morality on people through the state, I've seen it when you post about social morality issues in the gay people serving in the military and the incest threads.

You want the state to ban behavior you find personally offensive. You want me to drag up your posts about it?

Interventionism is NEO-CONSERVATIVE.

It is the FURTHEST THING FROM LIBERTARIANISM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interventionism_(politics)

Theories openly supporting explicitly aggressive foreign intervention are:

* political realism
* Neorealism (international relations)
* Neoconservatism
* Objectivism - Objectivist views on Islam and the War on Terror
* Khomeinism

I don't see libertarian listed there.

Interventionism also requires an aggressive, powerful central government and a powerful military engaging in wars of aggression, which are not libertarian at all.

That's neo-conservatism.

Interventionism makes you a war hawk.

Some central philosophical and systemic topics on foreign intervention and war studies include:

* philosophy of war
* deterrence theory
* preemptive war
* preventive war
* war of aggression
* global justice
* right of revolution
* international law
* "The ends justify the means"

I could prove things to you all day, I doubt that you'd read any of it, or ever admit when you're wrong.

But, you'll proudly state your political views in your signature line, without understanding the political viewpoints you espouse.

To what extent is nationhood and nationalism compatible with Libertarian ideology?

Shouldn't the title of this thread be clarified as "Ask a Right-Libertarian" or the like?

I'm not a libertarian, but I understand politics better than you do. And yes, you do support imposing morality on people through the state,

I admit I'm sure you do understand politics better than I do.

I've seen it when you post about social morality issues in the gay people serving in the military and the incest threads.

The former has to do with military effectiveness, though I admittedly don't think I support DADT anymore, at least not as a long term solution.

To the latter, my issue was fetal defects, though again, I'm beginning to question my position on that as well.

You want the state to ban behavior you find personally offensive. You want me to drag up your posts about it?

I deny having ever said such a thing.

I don't see libertarian listed there.

That's because its not one of Libertarianism's principles, in fact, traditional Libertarianism no doubt opposes it more than I do. But its still not incompatable with Libertarianism.

Interventionism also requires an aggressive, powerful central government and a powerful military engaging in wars of aggression, which are not libertarian at all.

The US is also not presently a Libertarian country. We have a large army, so we should use it to Liberate parts of the world when its especially important to do so.

Interventionism makes you a war hawk.

Nay.

I could prove things to you all day, I doubt that you'd read any of it, or ever admit when you're wrong.

Yes I would.

To what extent is nationhood and nationalism compatible with Libertarian ideology?

What definition of Nationalism are you using? Is it, in the case you are using, a synonym of Patriotism? Because I don't consider them the same thing.

Patriotism is the love for one's country and the willingness to sacrifice for your country. I like that, and its fully compatible with Libertarianism. Nationalism on the other hand, is an extreme devotion to ones nation so as you think its them most important thing and is infallible or nearly so. That's not compatible with Libertarianism.

EDIT:

Shouldn't the title of this thread be clarified as "Ask a Right-Libertarian" or the like?

Libertarian MEANS Right-Libertarian. Left-libertarians (And some right-libertarians) would have libertarian lower-cased.

I do support competition and oppose monopolies, so I favor legislation against markets acting to kill other markets instead of, you know, trying to make money. Causes too many problems for the market.

That's not libertarian, that's economic interventionism.

Businesses will naturally kill off competition and buy out competitors and become monopolies, that's what happens when one outperforms or outmaneuvers the other.

You advocate getting the state involved to stop that? That's not libertarian.

There are various schools of libertarian thought, but you're pretty much a neoconservative, Dom3000, along the lines of Dick Cheney and GW Bush. You're not a libertarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom