Free-Research Balance Mod

I cannot find anywhere outside the .dll the location of where the game actually rewards the free tech. I have played with the RA mod in the past, given that the original RA for Civ V was supposed to be a 15% science boost.

I don't think you can change that behaviour. Lua is unfortunately unable to remove items from existing deals or cancel deals, so it's not possible to end the RA before time, either. Maybe there is another way but I haven't been able to cook one up, which is why I wrote RAs are almost unmoddable at the moment.

The star should automatically move once you change where ResearchAgreementTradingAllowed sits.

I don't think you can change that behaviour. Lua is unfortunately unable to remove items from existing deals or cancel deals, so it's not possible to end the RA before time, either. Maybe there is another way but I haven't been able to cook one up, which is why I wrote RAs are almost unmoddable at the moment.

Pretty much. My only thought process would be unfollowable by the AI which would be to active Trade Agreements, hide RAs, and run a background script that removed the gold the TA was granting and adding research. I suppose if the TA is given RA flavors, it might follow.

Does the TA deal work? I've seen some traces but never played around with it. Might be worth giving it a try. Scripting it would be possible using the Team:IsHasTradeAgreement(team2) function

The star should automatically move once you change where ResearchAgreementTradingAllowed sits.

That's what I was expecting, but now it shows at both techs. The tooltip says Philosophy also, but that's no surprise.

My thought about RAs is like a targeted form of Afforess's Tech Diffusion... split a % of combined research 50/50 between both RA partners. It'd roll that concept into RAs and prevent the RA switch-tech exploit.

If anyone can figure out a way to get rid of the free tech, I'd be eager to help to code the rest to at least give it a try. :beer:

Free tech removal appears to be impossible at the moment. You would probably need to make a network call to the dll after the turn timer hits 1 and cancel it.

I just finished another game with FR and the dev Balance mods. I had more gold than usual as a result, and maintained a steady stream of RA's from the mid-game on (although less than pre-FR). The GS nerf seems stronger than Harder Free Tech late in the game. Is it too much? I would say so not from a GP balancing perspective, but from a "fun" one. To have a late-game 7-turn tech reduced by 3, for example, feels underwhelming... sorta like "That's all I get for a GP being born?"

I just finished another game with FR and the dev Balance mods. I had more gold than usual as a result, and maintained a steady stream of RA's from the mid-game on (although less than pre-FR). The GS nerf seems stronger than Harder Free Tech late in the game. Is it too much? I would say so not from a GP balancing perspective, but from a "fun" one. To have a late-game 7-turn tech reduced by 3, for example, feels underwhelming... sorta like "That's all I get for a GP being born?"

It was very difficult to adjust the curve so that:

1. Early tech costs were always lower than available beakers.
  2. Beakers for mid to late-mid techs did not follow the curve of cost increase too closely. Ie, I didn't want bulbing results to be just below fully teching for an extended period of the game.
  3. Late game GSs don't seem useless.
Given that the early game is much more important, my priorities were eventually to get 1 and 2 right and disregard 3. Additional rational would be that A) if it's a close game those three turns you saved could make a difference, B) if it's not who cares;) and C) Other GP could be more useful at that point regardless (GA or GM for Golden Age, GE for wonder).

But if you want to be a guinea pig, open the GreatPeople.xml and change the FreeBeakersBase to "475", the FreeBeakersCoefficient to ".25" and the FreeBeakersExponent to "2.95"; it'll result in a steeper curve during lategame. See (and please let me know) how it plays, especially in the middle game because that's where small changes to the curves will be most felt.

Since Great Engineers complete about half a wonder in the late game, I think GSs completing half a tech has precedent.

On a side note, to help maintain the value of GP in the late game I have something on my todo list: adding a second tier of GP improvement enhancements in the modern era, increasing their values by 50% on top of the 50% boost at the start of the Industrial Revolution (cumulative 100%). I'm holding off on experimenting with that until after the next public release.

It was very difficult to adjust the curve so that:

1. Early tech costs were always lower than available beakers.
  2. Beakers for mid to late-mid techs did not follow the curve of cost increase too closely. Ie, I didn't want bulbing results to be just below fully teching for an extended period of the game.
  3. Late game GSs don't seem useless.
Given that the early game is much more important, my priorities were eventually to get 1 and 2 right and disregard 3. Additional rational would be that A) if it's a close game those three turns you saved could make a difference, B) if it's not who cares;) and C) Other GP could be more useful at that point regardless (GA or GM for Golden Age, GE for wonder).

But if you want to be a guinea pig, open the GreatPeople.xml and change the FreeBeakersBase to "475", the FreeBeakersCoefficient to ".25" and the FreeBeakersExponent to "2.95"; it'll result in a steeper curve during lategame. See (and please let me know) how it plays, especially in the middle game because that's where small changes to the curves will be most felt.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I agree that it's not a problem. But for the sake of experimentation, I just adjusted the numbers as per your suggestion, will play with them along with TBM dev v22, and report back.

Thanks for letting me know - I haven't gotten the update yet.

in CivV 1.0.1.167 and Mod version 2.1 unit panel disappears.

Seems like the order of files listed in <Files> section of .modinfo is important: i simply moved <File md5="155E43834C7767803378678E974CD312" import="1">lib.lua</File> to the first place, and anything seems to be ok now.
Spoiler :

Code:
  <Files>
    <File md5="155E43834C7767803378678E974CD312" import="1">lib.lua</File>
    <File md5="F0997CE527AAFA5203233D68BF892C99" import="1">ActionIcons.lua</File>
    <File md5="BE7F281C7006ACFBC79AF1F083E5CFB8" import="0">CostIncreases.xml</File>
    <File md5="12D0D9DE021FDCDFEE267E87E3B31B89" import="1">CustomMissionHandler.lua</File>
    <File md5="8D7DD525FEB13E8AA855F98CB6A57C08" import="1">DiscoverMission.lua</File>
    <File md5="51A27E2F8DEDE2BD55E0C67DAA3B8D7F" import="0">GP_Texts.xml</File>
    <File md5="5C60B4638EA78E44A3EFE7A0D34B67E8" import="0">GreatPeople.xml</File>
    <File md5="F8A572ABCCC0B4BFBD022B8F4301D23B" import="0">Missions.xml</File>
    <File md5="0AAD33E5847E715469D845A0052C94F2" import="1">SaveUtils.lua</File>
    <File md5="7C3F55B5E6B4AF7C8075C6BEB10B4D22" import="1">UnitPanel.lua</File>
    <File md5="36167195FE9B2AA584FCDC9587BA0C74" import="1">XMLTableUpdate.sql</File>
  </Files>

Seems like the order of files listed in <Files> section of .modinfo is important: i simply moved <File md5="155E43834C7767803378678E974CD312" import="1">lib.lua</File> to the first place, and anything seems to be ok now.
Spoiler :

Code:
  <Files>
    <File md5="155E43834C7767803378678E974CD312" import="1">lib.lua</File>
    <File md5="F0997CE527AAFA5203233D68BF892C99" import="1">ActionIcons.lua</File>
    <File md5="BE7F281C7006ACFBC79AF1F083E5CFB8" import="0">CostIncreases.xml</File>
    <File md5="12D0D9DE021FDCDFEE267E87E3B31B89" import="1">CustomMissionHandler.lua</File>
    <File md5="8D7DD525FEB13E8AA855F98CB6A57C08" import="1">DiscoverMission.lua</File>
    <File md5="51A27E2F8DEDE2BD55E0C67DAA3B8D7F" import="0">GP_Texts.xml</File>
    <File md5="5C60B4638EA78E44A3EFE7A0D34B67E8" import="0">GreatPeople.xml</File>
    <File md5="F8A572ABCCC0B4BFBD022B8F4301D23B" import="0">Missions.xml</File>
    <File md5="0AAD33E5847E715469D845A0052C94F2" import="1">SaveUtils.lua</File>
    <File md5="7C3F55B5E6B4AF7C8075C6BEB10B4D22" import="1">UnitPanel.lua</File>
    <File md5="36167195FE9B2AA584FCDC9587BA0C74" import="1">XMLTableUpdate.sql</File>
  </Files>

What file is .modinfo in? I can't find it.

I just tested it and didn't have any problems with the unit panel with the .167 patch. If the problem extends to a lot of you I will update the mod so people let me know!

Txurce: The ModInfo file has the same name as the mod - "Free-Research Balance Mod (v2.1)"

Ah,ok, i was wrong with my solve suggestion: i didn't knew i need to enable every mod again after i modified any file in it.

So, the problem is still there:

Code:
Runtime Error: [string "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier..."]:36: attempt to call global 'class' (a nil value)
 Runtime Error: Error loading C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Free-Research Balance Mod (v 2.1)\CustomMissionHandler.lua.
Code:
 Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/WorldView/UnitPanel.lua"]:157: attempt to index field 'CustomMission' (a nil value)
 Runtime Error: [string "Assets/UI/InGame/WorldView/UnitPanel.lua"]:157: attempt to index field 'CustomMission' (a nil value)

- i'm getting this in Lua Console@Firaxis Live Tuner. For some reason these errors don't appear in Lua.log

[ADDED]
I've done some more tests and located one of the bugs:
If both of Liberation boost (v 1.11) and Free-Research Balance Mod (v 2.1) are installed, i'm getting
Code:
Runtime Error: [string "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier..."]:37: attempt to call global 'class' (a nil value)
 Runtime Error: Error loading C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Free-Research Balance Mod (v 2.1)\CustomMissionHandler.lua.
in console.

Ok, yeah that's a known incompatibility - the only one I've come across in fact. It's mentioned in the first post. I had actually just come on to ask what other mods you're using!:lol:

Ok, yeah that's a known incompatibility - the only one I've come across in fact. It's mentioned in the first post. I had actually just come on to ask what other mods you're using!:lol:

And I just came here to report the mentioned incompatibility.

Is there any way to reconcile both mods and prevent the incompatibility? I think both are must haves.

:) i just looked at the log, and saw some errors loding this mod files, and thought i've found the problem.... And the incompatibility with liberationboost looks more like a CivV bug: the whole mod is just 1 lua-file, with just one event-registration, so there's no reason, why should it break anything...

Top Bottom