SGOTM 13 - ChokoMisfits

Pretty certain the save has to be downloaded from the server. So Ozbenno can't use the save Shulec has posted to continue the game.

Well better safe than sorry.

Since pausing/unpausing the game is (normally) a reversible action, I'm sure we aren't in trouble doing this, but an irreversible action must be uploaded by the user that did the action. That would definitely be an issue that we must avoid.

The only exception to the pausing/unpausing the game being a reversible action is when irreversible actions were queued while the game was paused. As soon as the game is unpaused, those queued irreversible actions would be executed.

I think we should continue the practice of Pausing the Game prior to uploading, because it will prevent inadvertent irreversible actions from being executed when simply viewing the game save. We can make an exception for anyone who has trouble unpausing the game by uploading the game unpaused when they are up.

Sun Tzu Wu

Regarding the comment about not having Axemen, because we have no Copper: We need Iron Working; there will probably be Iron to our north or elsewhere not yet settled by the AI Leaders. It will also be nice to have Iron for near future Crossbowmen and later for Knights (assuming we can also connect Horse).

I am expecting no iron to be available, actually. Certainly nothing closer than the ivory spots, and maybe not even that close. Readily reachable iron would make the early stages of the military portion of the game too easy.

But we will have to see. Hopefully we can get IW in trade.

OK I'm finally playing some turns ;)

The Oracle is whipped in Paris and hey presto!!

Hunting yah :eek:

Or not :p

So Paris is building a forge and hey presto!

So the questions are, do we OB with everyone and use that to continue our travels west into Cathy's lands? We finished Writing and I have set research on Mathematics, is this right?

Any other thoughts?

I'll probably play a few more turns tonight.

Spoiler :
Turn 103, 1425 BC: Napoleon has completed The Oracle!

Turn 104, 1400 BC: You have discovered Metal Casting!

Turn 106, 1350 BC: Paris has grown to size 4.
Turn 106, 1350 BC: Catherine is the worst enemy of Isabella.
Turn 106, 1350 BC: Isabella is the worst enemy of Catherine.
Turn 106, 1350 BC: Will Sign Open Borders: Willem van Oranje

Turn 107, 1325 BC: You have discovered Writing!

Turn 108, 1300 BC: Will Sign Open Borders: Catherine, Isabella, Victoria

Continue the smooth sailing!

I say yes on open borders. I am not sure, but it may help us catch a religion. Yes on Mathematics too.

On T109, don't forget (I'm sure you wouldn't) to move the Galley NW of Paris and cancel the workers actions to get them ready for sending the settler to the goldfish site.

On T109, don't forget (I'm sure you wouldn't) to move the Galley NW of Paris and cancel the workers actions to get them ready for sending the settler to the goldfish site.

I have that ready to go. I'm paranoid i'll forget and waste a turn, so keep manually cancelling the worker's actions after every turn.

I agree on OB all around and continuing to explore.

Catherine is Hindu founder...interesting. Of course, she and Isabella hate one another already. :rolleyes: We should decide now what we want to do when we get the inevitable demand to cancel deals with the other. Do we pick one to buddy up with, offend both, go with whomever asks first?

Catherine tends to be worse about remembering negatives, and giving bigger penalties for refusing to agree. This makes her bad to offend, but also harder to be a friend with in the first place. Isabella is pretty easy to become friends with as long as you share her religion, but is also likely to go crazy at some point and declare a crusade on someone and want you to join....

We have trade networks with several AIs now. Any resource deals that look tempting? What does our trade route income look like? (Check F4/Diplomacy, on the info tab.)

Keep up the good work, Ozbenno!

Played a few more and that will be all for me.

Paris is happy limited at the moment from the heavy whip, gold will be online in 3 turns whiuch will provide 2 extra happiness (as forge was built).

I grew Orleans one pop between settlers (warrior), net effect is negligible (settler 1 turn later but Math 1 turn sooner I think).

As Paris is happy limited, I moved one clams to 3rd city until Paris can work the extra tile (made sure that it was always working the 2 hammer tiles)

The galley is circling the southern island and will be back in time to pick up the worker again, maths should be in so the forests can be chooped into Colossus (remember the northern forest is being cottaged and will be quicker to complete this rather than chop)

Oh yeah, the two little work boats that could...

Made me very proud of the little fellows :goodjob:

Spoiler :
Turn 109, 1275 BC: You have trained a Settler in Orleans. Work has now begun on a Granary.

Turn 110, 1250 BC: Catherine adopts Organized Religion!
Turn 110, 1250 BC: The Great Wall has been built in a far away land!

Turn 111, 1225 BC: Your maps have proven that the world is round! Your ships receive a +1 Movement bonus.

Turn 112, 1200 BC: Rheims has been founded.

Turn 113, 1175 BC: You have trained a Warrior in Orleans. Work has now begun on a Granary.

Turn 115, 1125 BC: Paris can hurry Forge for 2? with 8? overflow and +1? for 51 turns.

Turn 116, 1100 BC: Paris has become happy.
Turn 116, 1100 BC: Paris will grow to size 4 on the next turn.

Turn 117, 1075 BC: Paris has grown to size 4.
Turn 117, 1075 BC: Paris has become unhappy.

Good job Ozbenno! Oracle, Goldfish, and +1 movement.

Superb

Note: A bit hectic right now, again. You may or may not know about the whole US Gov't Shutdown. Yeah. Fun.

I will third the nice work, Ozbenno. :thumbsup:

We have achieved some of our initial goals -- Oracle for MC, circumnavigation bonus, some initial expansion. Things are going well. :)

Now we need to focus on our next set of goals -- Colossus, further expansion -- and set some new ones. I would suggest as possible targets:

- Meeting the remaining AIs
- Getting Alphabet (hopefully by trade) and seeing what we can do with tech trades
- Getting some kind of military resource (IW to find iron, settling ivory, conquering copper, etc.)
- Getting CoL to found a religion and enable cheap courthouses
- Getting a GS from library scientists (need to decide where best to do so)

Less immediate but could also be considered:

- Hanging Gardens for pop boost and health, plus GE points (requires Stone city settled, obviously)
- Researching/trading towards Theology to build the AP

We do not necessarily need to pursue all of these, I am just offering them for consideration. We may need to add things I have not thought of, shift priorities up or down, etc. But this seems like a good time to plan out where we want to go next.

Also, I will try to get the status and report posts up to date by the end of the day. JerichoHill is theoretically up, but if he is too busy as a result of certain political shenanigans :D we can always rearrange the roster.

Edit: Roster and turnset posts updated at the start of the thread.

Agreed Hap, I would like for us to stop and consider new goalposts. I could very well have a few extra days of free time next week.

Let's here from the team on on our next of goalposts and begin planning for them...and I'm the one who will implement the 1st step of the 2nd act!

I would say our next immediate target is finding a resource and planning our domination. This probably means getting Alphabet by some means and seeing if there is iron anywhere nearby. If there is a cat/mace/xbow war seems good but if there isn't cataphants it might have to be.

Once Paris has some happiness back, we should employ an engineer, some more GPP and hammers!!

Orleans might be a decent scientist city.

EDIT: Alphabet might be a way off from the AI. Willem was the only one who had Writing before us!

It is a tough call. If we have iron our tech path is different than elephants (CS/Machinery as opposed to Contruction/HBR) so knowing which way we are going to war is important. However there are techs that we will need regardless (Construction/Currency maybe) so we do still have some time. Willem may pop up with Alphabet anytime...

BTW, JH - 9,999 posts :thumbsup:

Great turn set Ozbenno!

Ozbenno, just wanted to applaud you on your recently completed turn set!

Didn't take you too long to get the navigation bonus, settle our Gold site, complete the Forge in Paris and not too long before we get another Settler in Orleans.

Ideas for the Next Turn Set or Two:

After completing Mathematics, we probably should go for Currency for the extra trade route and ability to trade and build Wealth. We may be able to trade Currency for Alphabet and then trade various Technologies for Iron Working, Horseback Riding. Next we can research Construction.

I'm not so sure we want to go the route of Civil Service and Machinery for Macemen. That could take a long time to research. I'd prioritize Feudalism for Vassalage +2 XP and Theology for Theocracy +2 XP. With a Barracks in each Military City we can really produce some really heavily promoted units right out of the starting blocks.

We need Ivory for happiness and War Elephants. Where's our nearest Ivory?

We need another Work Boat or Galley and Warrior for exploring nearby. The extra Galley can be used to settle a far off Ivory City too, since there may not be an Ivory nearby.

JerichoHill, advanced congratulations on your 10,000th post. Since you are on deck, I don't think you'll be able to delay for much longer. Hope you like some of the ideas above.

Sun Tzu Wu

haha, well I had to write something meaningful for post #10,000, so that's in OT
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418293

Sun wants me to go for Currency. That's +4 internal trade routes and +2 international trade routes, we can trade in gold (useful to get small trades through)

Have we gotten paper yet so we can trade maps? Since we are circumnavigated, trading our map is an easy way to get cheap gold. Probably not, I would suppose.

At this point, I'd rather spend the extra turns getting a galley. Shore defense (both AI and barb) and more usefulness in getting units around.

Would seem proper for part 1 of my turnset to:
a) Settle and Build up GoldFish City
b) Research Math -> Currency
c) Squeeze out a Scientist in Orleans if possible to boost research rate
d) Get an Engineer operating in Paris.
e) Build a galley (Our settler in Orleans can use this galley to go to Ivory City assuming no other source found)
f) Try to find other AI's

Playtime notes:
Nothing today, in meetings and class tonight
Friday - Will post detailed turnset plan, I want ideas and feedback
Saturday - Wife has some women's group thing. I'm sequestered upstairs with my computer. Ideal uninterrupted playtime.

Nice turnset Ozbenno :goodjob:

Lets think what actual techs we need to win this game?

Very little if we can reach all the AI. I'm away at the moment and can't access the save.

If we can settle an ivory city cataphants will take us all the way. So I will put down my favoured tech path (not changed :) ). Currency - Constr - then on to Hbr - Col hoping to trade for alpha and others along the way.

With alpha we can bribe Cathie (another AI guessed right) to attack anyone. So would agree to most of her demands except closing borders. We should OB now with everyone we can for the improved trade routes.

City builds still think we have to get out of a builder mindset and concentrate on granary/barracks and not much else. We can start whipping galleys/tiremes in readiness for cats/phants.

Lots of exploring to do before then though.

Agreed, nice turnset Ozbenno :)

I agree with Sleepless, we should focus on what will bring us to a victory as soon as possible.

And I agree that atm. we should go for cataphants, and prepare for major warring.

I am concerned about plans for an ivory city, because the two sources of ivory we know of are quite far away. Currently we have our capital and three first ring cities. (Goldfish is maybe halfway between 1st/2nd ring by distance.) But the ivory locations are more like 4th ring by distance.

Either site will be quite distant from our existing core, and thus both expensive and difficult to supply/reinforce. The western site is close to the violet civ (Ragnar?), and if connected by land could trigger a war declaration as we are very weak and being reachable by land significantly boosts the chance of a DOW.

I think we should continue expanding to good nearby sites, maybe settling in the direction of one or both ivory sites to support a future claim on them. These additional cities will be able to supply resources for happiness (furs, dye), health, and strategic (stone) while also supporting more troop production once they develop.

On the other hand, I know that my usual style of play is much more builder than warmonger, and this game is going to require a lot of warring. So Sleepless is probably right that we need to push much harder to avoid unnecessary builder stuff.

On the gripping hand, I worry our economy will not be strong enough to keep our tech competitive with the AIs if we do not build at least some infrastructure in our core cities. I like going for Currency to boost our trade routes, this will help with all our island cities.

On tech...Alphabet. Do we wait for the AI to get it? Currently only Willem is even semi-likely to research it, and as a monopoly he would not trade it for some time. This means tech trading only with him (if anyone) for quite a while, and only techs he feels are not monopolies and is willing to trade. With four AIs known and one more located (soon to be contacted once OB signed), would it be worthwhile to tech Alphabet ourselves so we can try to trade with everyone much sooner? How many techs do we think we could get in trade, and what would we give for them? If the answers are only a couple techs then I think we wait for the AIs, but if we could realistically hope to get 4-5 useful techs...maybe the beakers are worth it to self-research Alphabet.

More exploration is definitely a priority. We need to know where the last AI is, and more about the territories of the AIs we know. We need to see if there are any other important resources like horses, ivory, copper, or iron (once we get IW) close to us, maybe more easily available than the distant ivory sites. And of course any strong sites for expansion: happiness resources or multiple food for future whipping of troops.

Top Bottom