A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright,
ill send you my dll + my source codes.

although - i have some new xml tags - wont that interfere with the game load? dont you need the schema's as well?

ill upload soon.

thanks.

You have new/different schema tags (and associated code support presumably)?? That would have to be properly included in the load/save serialization - if you can show me the changes you made to cope with those when you merged the format change code I'll see if I can see any possible errors in the merge.

Basically schema changes typically imply code changes and serialization changes (which I assume you knew since that's not new in any way). Info changes (against the same schema - so adding buildings etc.) do not require serialization changes, but will not correctly load under the old format between installations with different numbers of entities in any given class (they will under the new format). So if you have schema chnages (and presumably code changes that go with them) then yes I'll need those. If you just have info xml changes I wont need those, assuming it's a new format save you give me. PM me with an IM address if you are on MSN or GTALK or AOL or Steam.

Hi!

I get an error report everytime a player is conquering a city. Effect: no tech is acquired after conquering an enemy city (at least not when I conquer an AI city).

Attachments

• screenshot bug.jpg
    screenshot bug.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 115
  • A New Dawn.txt
    768 bytes · Views: 45
Koshling hey,

ok then, ill pm you with the schemas, there are changes to the infos and the plot files.
ill provide you with the files.

i can be on msn.

anyways i might have thought of something that could cause the problem -
i have a mod merged named jculture and jimprovement -
ive noticed that areas of some parts of this mod, where changed -but i didnt changed the part of the mod to work accordingly casue i didnt get anuy errors in the compile.
im probably not explaining my self right.
this will clarify:
this line: pStream->Read(&m_ePlotType);
in the 476 revision: WRAPPER_READ(wrapper, "CvPlot", &m_ePlotType);

and the mods lines:
pStream->Read(&m_eImprovementOwner);
and i left it like that.

i know that the WRAPPER_READ is part of the new save code,

could this be the problem?

i dont wanna lay more work on you and im trying to figure this out so i wrote this here instead of a pm.

Koshling hey,

ok then, ill pm you with the schemas, there are changes to the infos and the plot files.
ill provide you with the files.

i can be on msn.

anyways i might have thought of something that could cause the problem -
i have a mod merged named jculture and jimprovement -
ive noticed that areas of some parts of this mod, where changed -but i didnt changed the part of the mod to work accordingly casue i didnt get anuy errors in the compile.
im probably not explaining my self right.
this will clarify:
this line: pStream->Read(&m_ePlotType);
in the 476 revision: WRAPPER_READ(wrapper, "CvPlot", &m_ePlotType);

and the mods lines:
pStream->Read(&m_eImprovementOwner);
and i left it like that.

i know that the WRAPPER_READ is part of the new save code,

could this be the problem?

i dont wanna lay more work on you and im trying to figure this out so i wrote this here instead of a pm.

Yes, could well be, though pStream->Read() or pStream->Write() run the same code (in any way that matters) as WRAPPER_READ and WRAPPER_WRITE for old format saves (but NOT for new format). So simply not converting those could break new format but shouldn't break old format. However note that Afforess added new serialized data as well in the unit strength modifiers, so that would prevent loading anything saved from before the beta 5 changes.

Neither of those things should obviously break loading of an old format save that was SAVED by the beta 5 DLL though.

i see,
well its worth a try, ill convert that code to the new style and we'll see what happens.

im hoping i wont need your help after all,

thanks a lot koshling for the support, very kind of you.

p.s.
did you or affroess got a chance to look at my oos logs of multiplayer ?
im kind of a multiplayer junkie...sorry if im nagging.

Dear Afforess,

thank you for this great gaming experience.

Unfortunately I got a problem during the industrial era. After the invention of early tanks I built some and sent them to war. Unfortunately whenever they win a fight they completely disappear from the map. I already reloaded the game but it did not help.

I experienced the same bug? with early marines, too. They win a battle and are gone :eek: . Other units (until modern era; I have to check later units.) remained in the game after they won the battle. Edit: Marines remained after attacking units on free fields. They only got lost after having attacked a city. Tanks got lost even on free fields. I also checked the military advisor. Even there the units are not listed anymore after the attack.

I provide you with a save game and hopefully the correct log file? I cannot find a file *.log in my directory. The only thing I found is this one: Rise of Mankind - A new Dawn configuration settings. I put it into the *.rar file. Do you need this one?

Do you need more explanations? Has anyone else experienced this?

Best regards.

Edit:

After rechecking... I am soooooo sorry, I did not see that the kamikaze promotion is sacrificing units.

But now I have got another question: While I was checking I was not able to attack some of my enemies' cities. Although I could move next to them, the city tile itself was marked red for not being able to enter it. I checked it with different units and with the world builder (I hope it is called like that in the English version. Mine is German). Is there one thing that hinders attacking enemy towns? After bombing them with light artillery I could attack them. What is causing this behaviour?

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    646.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn.rar
    516 bytes · Views: 37
I'm running 1.76 beta 5 now and am having the following pretty major bugs:

1) I still get the bug where I get no free slave in cities that have been founded after converting to slavery (I get the free slave only in the cities that existed when converting to slavery)

2) I am getting some seriously messed up city maintenance costs. I was expanding like crazy and my city maintenance was negative! :crazyeye:

3) Probaby related to 2 above, but in the build menu any mouseover calculation that had any maintenance cost modifier seemed broken. The actual $ change was the statistic that was calculated wrong (or at least different than what the maintenance modifier X maintenance cost would indicate). This might be related to 2 above in that one may be causing the other?

I found this: when you hover your cursor over an unit on the city screen it does not reveal the strength. Movement range only...

EDIT: Additionally, the courthouse is on one hand reducing maintenance by 25%, but the real effect says that you'll lose:gold: Maybe I don't get sth here

EDIT 2: What about AI selling a 2000+:science: tech for...... potatoes?

I found this: when you hover your cursor over an unit on the city screen it does not reveal the strength. Movement range only...

EDIT: Additionally, the courthouse is on one hand reducing maintenance by 25%, but the real effect says that you'll lose:gold: Maybe I don't get sth here

EDIT 2: What about AI selling a 2000+:science: tech for...... potatoes?

Regarding your courthouse issue, it is one of the examples from my issue #3 just before your post. I think city maintenance costs are calculating incorrectly across the board...

But now I have got another question: While I was checking I was not able to attack some of my enemies' cities. Although I could move next to them, the city tile itself was marked red for not being able to enter it. I checked it with different units and with the world builder (I hope it is called like that in the English version. Mine is German). Is there one thing that hinders attacking enemy towns? After bombing them with light artillery I could attack them. What is causing this behaviour?

City Gatehouse. Units cannot enter/attack unless defense of the city is <25%. There's a slight chance they can if a certain building is also present; I can't remember it because I never build it. :p

Anyone see my question about the Weather Forecast building?

I've researched Long-Range Forecasting, but I cannot build the Weather Stations at all. I've already built the National Weather Service building but it doesn't mention the individual stations like it used to. There's no option to build the stations either in any of my cities.

IIRC, I removed the stations, the NWS just gives the promotions to all units instead, or something like that.

Does anyone have an idea for this issue?

Not without logs. Turn on error logging (lots of postings in the RoM forums on how to - use google ;) ) and then cause the error to appear. Then upload the logs folder. ;)

City Gatehouse. Units cannot enter/attack unless defense of the city is <25%. There's a slight chance they can if a certain building is also present; I can't remember it because I never build it. :p

Anyone see my question about the Weather Forecast building?

Ah, that might be the solution.

Thank you.

Regards

IIRC, I removed the stations, the NWS just gives the promotions to all units instead, or something like that.

Thanks, but the NWS doesn't offer the upgrades, just two free scientists. The Sevopedia lists the Weather Stations as still granting the upgrades, so I was confused. Are the upgrades supposed to be disabled then, since nothing ingame offers them?

Not without logs. Turn on error logging (lots of postings in the RoM forums on how to - use google ;) ) and then cause the error to appear. Then upload the logs folder. ;)

Turned on. Here it is.

Attachments

• PythonErr - Kopie.txt
    929 bytes · Views: 89
I noticed (and was confused by) an issue with the text presented for a potential building choice in the city screen yesterday. My game is C2C so the particular buuilding and civics may not apply to AND (not sure, but there are analogous cases definately). In my case the building was a Seminary which requires one of State Chruch or Free Church civics to be in operation. I was in Free Chrurch at the time.

When I hovered over the seminary in the choice list the text said 'requires state church' which confused me.

The requires XXX lines associated with civics are coded to only show the requirements that you lack. This makes a certain amount of sense in the AND requirements but is confusing for the OR ones (since it tells you that you need something when you already have the necessary requirements)

Initailly I was going to fix the code to only display OR requirements if NONE of them are currently fulfilled (which would be consistent in effect with what you get for AND requirements). However, it then occurred to me that if I am in civic X which is supporting a building I'd really like to know what alternative civic would ALSO support it to help with my civic-changing decisions. That would be an argument for always displaying the OR requirements regardless of whether one or more is fulfilled.

I'm not sure what the least confusing option is here, so I'd welcome some opinions. In the absence of other suggestiosn I'll probably just push a fix to hide the OR requiremenst if one is fulfilled, for semantic consistency with the AND display, but I don't really think this is ideal...

Edit - I understand what's going on better now, and I'm planning to change it (see below).

Currently help text (whether hover text or actual Civopedia entry generated text) only displays conditions that it cannot evaluate as met in the context of the particular text generation. Those it cannot evaluate as met it displays in red (so unevaluatable conditions like required pre-req buildings when viewing the Civopedia from a context other than a particular city screen, show up along with ones it KNOWS you don't meet). Some consequences of this are:
  1. Building (or unit) hover text in the city screen never shows the conditions required that are currently met, even if at some future time they may no longer be met (so a civic that is currently in force which is required for example). This measn when you check out the hover help you won't be aware that what you are building will cease to function when you change a civic (or at least which civic change will break it)
  2. OR conditions may 'half' show up as in my initial example, which caused me some confusion
  3. Worst of all (IMO) when you look at the Civopedia entry for a building/unit outside of the context of a city just to learn about it, any conditions on it that happen to be met at the time (civics is the best example) won't be mentioned at all. So even looking at things in the Civopedia won't clue you in that the building might go non-operational on some civic change (actually it will mention that civis are required but not which!)
I propose to change the text generation (at least for civic requirements on buildings for now - will consider more general application later) so that all conditions always appear but the color highlighting tells you whether the condition is currently met or not (so only conditions that are not currently met will appear in red, thsoe that are in normal non-warning text).

Opinions welcome...

I've found 2 bugs, one that's been recurring since Pre-Beta's I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, the 2nd I've only just noticed.

Bugs;

1. We enjoy our freedom from the oppression of Slavery, gives -1, instead of the promised +1 in civopedia, AND I DON'T have slavery tech, or civic option.

2. Chopping a forest pre mining, 2/3 turns (normal speed), mining comes in and can only mine for the full 7 turns. No longer able to chop, 1 turn, then mine, have to mine for the full 7 turns, as per BTS game.

3. Espionage seem over powered, 1 Billion % for having holy city of Religion and running church I think, Previous postings on this, another Million % for Walls, (Civopedia only, haven't tried)

Ok, so I haven't seen a solution to this problem, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

C++ Virtual Runtime Error, program requested to terminate in an unusual manner.

My computer:
Vista, Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
2 GB RAM
32-bit Op. system

Sometimes game runs several hours just fine, sometimes it quits after one, sometimes it quits after just five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom