If God put you in charge of...

If God put you in charge of creating all the afterlives and determining who goes into what afterlife, how would you do it?

First of all all those people who are against the eating of bacon are going to hell.

Everyone else gets judged on their works by celebrity judges Moses and Mr. T

I'd let everybody have the kind of afterlife they thought they were going to have when they died.
If you thought there'd be nothing, you'd get nothing, if you expected to be reincarnated, you would etc.

I might have a review board for the really obnoxious ones though.

I'd let everybody have the kind of afterlife they thought they were going to have when they died.
If you thought there'd be nothing, you'd get nothing, if you expected to be reincarnated, you would etc.

I'm not sure how well that would work. What if someone thought that he was a bad person in life and was going to go to Hell, but it turns out he was actually a good person? Would that person go to Hell like he thought, or would he go to Heaven because of how he really was?

If I was God, people wouldn't have enough time to die :satan:

Am I allowed to decided there should be no afterlife?
Sure, but why would you?

Why would you do that, Mathilda?

Who is God? I don't understand.
I don't think the specifics matter to much, it's just some uber-powerful being that endows you with this ability.

If I was God, people wouldn't have enough time to die :satan:
You aren't God, you just get to make this decision for God (maybe as a part of God).

Consciousness is just a popular psychology term for learning. The better an organism is at learning new things, the more likely it is to be considered conscious. I suppose this is because the act of learning implies uniqueness; if your behavior is learned during life rather than biologically predetermined, then it will vary from individual to individual, creating unique "person"alities. Build a computer capable of learning, and matching or exceeding the intelligence of any extant organism will simply be a matter of cramming as much processing power into the computer's "brain" as possible.

If something acts conscious, then for all practical purposes, it is conscious. Philosophical zombies really only come into play if you believe in souls, which some creatures possess but others do not. In which case, though, talk of neurons is pointless since they're just a test of faith, like dinosaur bones or radiation.
Consciousness is basically the ability to recognize oneself as an individual. Now we can go on and debate a more precise and less ambiguous definition of the term, something the scientific community has not agreed upon so far. But it surely would not lead us to "the ability to learn".
We already have programs which can "learn", albeit in yet quit limited ways. Do you consider those programs conscious?

While I agree that you could have a simulation behave exactly like a human, I'm not certain of is that you could construct such that it's unconscious.
Yes and I countered that with the argument that in the end to simulate a fully fleshed out human being is no different than say a flight simulator. Just
more complexity, more factors, longer equations. If those would result in consciousness, so should our programs nowadays, because complexity alone can't be a measure of consciousness, but that is the only significant difference.
To clarify I'll add that as I see it consciousness is just a way nature turned out to organize our actions, probably a product of the limited ways of nature and its need for efficiency. In a simulation, which can afford to be resource-drawing and is not limited by biological evolution, you can skip that and limit yourself to factors resulting in action. Without the mumbo-jumbo of consciousness which will only make your heart heavy ;)

i would give everyone 2 things first a really strong sense of Conscience base on what I think is wrong or right(yeah i dont want to make a religious man feel guilty just because he had a Premarital sex or a homophobic guy feel good about himself because he think what he did was right)
and second a great memory so they would remember every thing they have done in their life
i think thats the worst punishment/best reward anyone can get

I'd pull a Riverworld.

How cool would that be? (From an observers' perspective; it would suck awful mightily to be a food/gum slave).

To not incriminate myself in front of the religious or not. If there were a place people go and I had control over it, it would be an inverse of their life. Reverse the situation in another life creating an equally converse feeling.

Wasn't there also Bruce Almighty? Another aspect of fiction is that a character oddly more powerful than even the author has unlimited potential. Yet stuck to not killing the characters and/or not showing up.

Those that do take form have some weakness of any kind both sides try to exploit. I'm happy for this 'judging everything' thread.

i'd have sean connery measure the amount of times you stubbed your toes against the amount of times you let an opportunity to have homosexual sex pass with a pair of scales.

stub toes wins: you go to birmingham for all eternity.
pass on homo sex wins: you go to christian hell for half of eternity, then you go to spain for the rest, since you really deserve a vacation after that.

also, connery would be wearing this:

I'd create an afterlife stuck on an insignificant blue-green planet orbiting a G class yellow dwarf, and put god into it.
Her only reading material would be the bible.

See if it inspires her to do better next time.

I'd put all the fast moving particles in heaven and all the slow moving particles in hell, thus proving that the universe is not a closed system.

Rather than Heaven / Hell / Purgatory, I'd create different states of non-corporeal being that each human soul or spirit would enter into depending on their taste in music while alive on planet Earth.

People who liked or created bad music would enter into a state of being where they listen to and analyze Miles Davis albums and Bach compositions for all eternity, or until such time as they have seen the error of their ways, at which point they are reborn and given a second chance to chart a different course through life.

People who liked good or created music would be offered a choice: to be reunited with loved ones who have passed away long since (in another state of being focused on communal love), or to be reincarnated with the talent and inclination to become potential musician, singer, composer, arranger, or other music-oriented pursuit. Upon rebirth, that soul would inhabit a new body, but would retain a subconscious awareness of their previous life.

People who didn't listen to music at all would get a do-over, and be encouraged to take part this time around.

Consciousness is basically the ability to recognize oneself as an individual. Now we can go on and debate a more precise and less ambiguous definition of the term, something the scientific community has not agreed upon so far. But it surely would not lead us to "the ability to learn".
We already have programs which can "learn", albeit in yet quit limited ways. Do you consider those programs conscious?
One thing I should point out here is that what we really should be discussing is the worthiness of moral protection that we deem humans to have. Consciousness probably plays a role here, but what we're really after is moral worthiness.

Yes and I countered that with the argument that in the end to simulate a fully fleshed out human being is no different than say a flight simulator.
So a nice flight simulator even one that works perfectly, will not, in an important sense produce flight. However, I'm not so sure that's the same for beings of moral worth.

To use another analogy, let's say you simulate a pocket calculator. The result is still a calculator! It seems reasonable to me that moral worth might be like that.

Just

To clarify I'll add that as I see it consciousness is just a way nature turned out to organize our actions, probably a product of the limited ways of nature and its need for efficiency. In a simulation, which can afford to be resource-drawing and is not limited by biological evolution, you can skip that and limit yourself to factors resulting in action. Without the mumbo-jumbo of consciousness which will only make your heart heavy ;)
I'm not sure you can do that without implementing some sort of thinking mechanism inside. How can you model what I will do next, without modelling how I will think next? My thoughts and actions are intimately entwined, and I'm not sure one can simply disentangle the two.

Sin is defined as any activity that harms people against their will. Those without sin enter heaven.

Those with sin spend time in Hell, but should they give up their hatred and selfishness, they will enter Heaven.

Yes, even Hitler could enter Heaven if he admitted he had done so much evil and abandoned all his hate. If that's not good for you, congrats - you are being sinful now, as you are being prejudiced, and only God may judge.

Top Bottom