Pre-LizNES6: Fortune Favors the Brutal

A Permanent Mark: Theravada Buddhism, Siamese Culture, and National Rebuilding

One of the earliest corner-stones of stability and organization, a pillar of the rebuilding of Siamese culture and its government, was the centralizing and culturally cohesive influence of Theravada Buddhist monasticism and its attendant rituals, dress, prayers and traditions. These influences, due mostly to their familiarity and the strength of their tradition, together, provided much of the cultural identity and impetus for selfless efforts crucial for nation-wide rebuilding that characterized the early re-emergence of Siam. It also left a permanent mark as it developed a culturally unified people with a solidarity of purpose and of identity.

A Young Monk Recieves Tattoos and Prayers in a Monastery Courtyard in Bangkok

"I know what your problem is. Do you know why you won't fight? Because you have nothing to fight for! You don't care about anything! You don't value anything! You don't believe in anything! That's what makes me better!"

@Dread- It's alright. I haven't written anything too much that can't be easily fixed. The BT updates are going to be fairly short, and not to descriptive. There isn't really much to say, after all. :p I feel like the map is going to be more of the update, then me describing how everyone grew.

And by later, I meant by tonight, so probably 6 or so hours, if not more. Don't feel rushed.

Ah I missed the start of this. It looks like no one took the Franco-German grey empire though, could I claim that?

At this point, I don't see why not. Though don't expect all of it to hold together too well. Most people joined it for the convenience. Now that things aren't quite as bad as they were, many groups are looking for a way out. Expect to lost some fringe regions. It's should be a challenging play, but that's your call. :evil:

Also, if you'd rather wait for a bit, you could join post update, and see where the Empire is from there. If you don't like that, other nations (a lot) will be open post update too.

The English Republic

Maybe it is a bit naive to think that the city of London could ever reach it's former glory. However, don't tell that to the English. They are determined to once again make the city the center of their rebuilt nation. New industrial centers are going up where old ones once stood, and various bridges are being rebuilt over the Thames. A new parliament house is being rebuilt in the ruins of the Palace of Westminster. Buckingham Palace is still relatively in shape, and is being restored. Soon, the city will once again be the center of English and even British culture, government, and economics.

Revival of the House of Yi​

Since the two Koreas formed the House of Yi while still being respected by the public was cast aside as a political institution. They still held vast assets and respect and continued to quietly continue to serve the Republic of Korea as doctors, scientists, and in the military.

The House of Yi continued and prospered even in relative quiet except as the occasional news story. Then came Yi Sang Jin and Yi Min Yura the children of the current head of the House of Yi. Sang Jin, the heir, went into the military and discovered he had a real aptitude for it and his sister went into the field of medicine.

When the plague hit General Yi Sang Jin was stationed on the DMZ and responded quickly to the cries for aid of the Northern Korean soldiers since their leadership collapsed almost overnight. He setup areas for them to disarm and get as much aid as the military could provide, even as South Korea became infected.

While the government collapsed around them several medical research teams worked in concert to find a way to cure or vaccinate against the plague and finally a team co lead by Yi Min Yura were the ones to finally find a way to control the plague.

As stability was returned the Military of both the North and the South decided that it was a sign from the heavens that they were saved by the House of Yi and began to spread the word of reviving the Phoenix Throne. At first the Yi siblings refused and began to try and simply stabilize the situation for a republic but then the Korean people came to believe as the military did and the pair decided that for Korean stability they would revive the Phoenix Throne.

So a coronation ceremony was held in Seoul and Je Yi Sang Jin was crowned.

Je - Emperor.

Dreadnaught,
Please use this guy as a basis for your stories.

"You made Mrs. March feel like she could see again.
You made Ford believe he was part of something.
You give out hope like it was candy in your pocket."

Abby, on the role of the Postman.​

A troop of nine riders emerged from the woodlands near the Yazoo River and entered the open fields, kicking up dust from the cantering of their horses. Each man was armed, some carrying rifles or assault weapons, while others bore shotguns; however, none of the men held their weapons in menacing ways. They kept their weapons in their travel holsters to avoid instilling any apprehension in the village nearby.

The group paused about a hundred yards from the village. All but two dismounted, raising their hands to show they were not brandishing their weapons; the remaining two halted their horses and stood in their saddles, eyeing the people nearby.

The villagers had, by now, noticed the riders' arrival. They were wary -- who wouldn't be, in these times? -- and a few retrieved their weapons from their homes, but they didn't display any aggressive action. They stood in place, watching the newcomers.

When the two horsemen realized this community was not dangerous, they approached the settlement at a trot. As they moved closer, the families spotted the two men with greater detail. One of the men held a red flag, with blue and gold crosses on it, while the other wore a large hat and carried a bag by his side.

They held up their hands as they approached the village. "Greetings," the man with the bag said. "We come in peace."

One of the men in the village took a step forward and inquired, "What's your business in these parts?" He held a shotgun in his left hand, though he did not point it at the horsemen.

"I am a Postman, and I have come to bring you a message," the rider replied. "And a gift. I bring news from the east. After generations of toil and diligence, through the pain and suffering of the past one hundred years, a new hope has risen in the west. The Congress has met, for the first time, in Montgomery, Alabama, and has formed the Dixie Republic to unify all our families, to lead all of us to more prosperous times."

A woman stepped forward. "Where's Montgomery-Alabama?" she asked, assuming the name of the city constituted both words.

Before the rider could answer, an elderly man spoke. "I know what Alabama is," he began. "It was an old state, once. Montgomery was a city in it. But Alabama hasn't existed in a century, and neither has this 'Dixie Republic'."

The rider didn't hesitate; he had heard similar arguments in the countless other villages he had visited. "Ah, but I bring a letter for your entire town, from the President himself, Sean Beame."

He ruffled through the bag he held, mostly for a show. He paused after a few seconds, then turned to the villagers again, chuckling. "I've seem to forgotten the name of your town." He pretended to look flustered.

"Some folks call us River Town," one woman answered.

"Ah, yes, River Town." He once again pretended to look through the bag for a specific letter, before pulling out an envelope.

"This is your letter," he exclaimed, before opening it to read to the villagers.

"Dear friends,

I'm sure the recent news is difficult to understand or believe. For nearly a century, the world has been in chaos, with no guiding light or sense of unity in sight. Now, you have just heard the first great news all our families have heard in generations. A short while ago, a Congress of one hundred individuals met in the city of Montgomery to form a great Dixie Republic, to unify our communities and bring a new sense of hope to us all.

We must all work together in these times to preserve our Republic, and to bring this news to all of our neighbors. We are all part of Dixie in heart, but now we can stand united to bring our society back into the glory days of yesteryear, and work towards the freedom and prosperity that we all deserve.

I have been elected President of the Republic, but that does not make me your superior. I will work with each and every one of you, to bring all our families together and to spread the freedom and liberty that our Republic guarantees to us and our posterity.

I hope to hear from you soon. God bless,

Sean Beame, President of the Dixie Republic.

The crowd hesitated for a moment, unable to believe this news.

"What's the catch?" one young man called out.

"No catch," the Postman replied. "I'm not here to take any of your property, or to hear any promises. I am spreading the great news!" He reached inside another saddle bag. He grabbed a folded flag and handed it, with the letter, to the nearest villager.

"Another group will arrive in about a week's time with more information," the Postman said. "Display this flag, so they understand you have heard the news."

He paused before adding, "Today's a great day. As you see, I've taken nothing from you, but our friends and neighbors down in Montgomery have given peace and prosperity back to our families. We have achieved something not seen in a hundred years."

He dismounted and shook the villager's hand. "Today, we are brothers."

Attachments

• dixieflag2.png
    dixieflag2.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 4,201
  • postman1.png
    postman1.png
    326 KB · Views: 230
You made my day.

BT 1: 2120-2140​

North American Events​

The Dixie Confederacy Experiences Population Boom
Tallahasee, the Dixie Confederacy

The Dixie Confederacy's government, for now, centered it Tallahasee, Florida, has begun to unite the various far flung communities of what was the American South. People, for the longest time had looked at the central government as nothing short of the 'devil' in disguise. But a very focused public opinion campaign has brought a large portion of the people in Dixie to the agreement that sometimes more government, is in fact better. A sense of nationalism, if you could call it that, struck into the heart of Dixie, and soon flowed flowed outwards, via a growing number of Dixie settlers and traders.

In the 'wilderness', many Confederate settlers met people with a similar cultural history as there own, and were more then welcomed in what was the Carolinas, and up the Mississippi. Soon more and more towns and districts began pledging allegiance to the Stars and Bars, and the relative feeling of safety it gave them. The only '' that came in the Dixie dominance of the region, was the Republic of Virginia's growing influence in what was Kentucky.

European Events​

Attempting to Unite the Emerald Isle
Dublin, Ireland

The Irish nation has been attempting to unite the entirety of the Island under one banner this year. Representatives from Dublin have been sent out far and wide, to meet with local governments in an attempt to convince them to join the democracy. More often than not, they were warmly recieved, and Ireland grew by quite a large margin, especially in the south. Roads connected the new lands to the old ones, and before long, it was hard to really differentiate between the two.

The west, and the north soon became a different story however. To the west, a friendly republic based out of Connaught soon arose. While it thus far has had peaceful intentions, this Connaught Republic has been more than open in it's critiscism of the current Irish Parliamentary system. The north, with a slightly more English culture than the rest of the island, has also resisted Irish attempts at annexation, albeit in a less polite manner. Armed militia units from various Northern Communities met Irish settlers and agents, and promptly turned them back. Tensions haven't escalated much further, though the reason behind that is probably due to the lack of a central governing body between the groups.

Old Ideas Rehashed
Barcelona, Kingdom of Spain

The Spanish Crown has begun to look towards the past as a way to the future. Utilizing old technologies mixed with a few new ideas, Spain has begun the slow, painstaking process of Industrial reconstruction. Along with that, Spanish ships have begun once again traversing the Mediterrenean Sea and Atlantic Ocean, looking for open ports. Spanish traders were especially well recieved in Cape Verde and Maderia, so much so that the locals began to swear themselves to the Spanish Crown. Having a lot of extra fod and medicine does help things like that, after all.

Regardless, in Europe proper, things are not going so well for the Crown. Tensions with the Portuguese Free-State have substantially grown in the Spanish annexation of what was Northern Portugal. Spain itself has found itself surrounded by a host of less-than friendly nations, though the crown has never had more power over its people than it currently does.

Alls Well That Ends Well..
London, The Republic of England

While across the Irish Sea, Ireland has been attempting to reunite its island, the Republic of England has been doing the same thing. Looking into Northumbria, the Republic began a slow, yet steady advance into what was once Scotland. Yet, constant coastal raiding on behalf of the Norse Imperium, and the transplant of a large number of Norse citizenry on the Eastern coast has stalled English advances enough to allow for a Scottish government to organize itself in Inverness.

The Norse raiding, as a fact, brought obvious tensions between the relationship between the Imperium and England. Before the initial settlement of actual Norse citizenry, the landing of Clergy and other military officials from the Imperium led to a fairly large pro-Norse base population in Northumbria. Of course, when the English military came around, many of those who would rather live under the gaze of the Norse Emperor headed to the coast which soon became thriving Norse colonies.

Heaven, I Am Coming
Copenhagen, The Norse Imperium

Similar to the Spanish crown, the Norse Crown began to revitalize it's otherwise non-existant industrial machine. Raiding the English coast for resources, while harvesting their own supplies from Norse colonies, the Imperium has managed to enhance its industrial and agricultural sectors to a fairly large margin. Homestead acts led to some fairly rabid population growth spurts in Scandinavia and the Eastern Baltic provinces.

Expansion in Scandinavia has lead to some increased tensions with the Imperium's growing neighbor Norway, a nation directly opposed to the Imperium's questionable resource gathering. But perhaps the most striking development that has occured in the Imperium, the growth and power that the Norse Church has been experiencing. The Norse Pope seems to be the second most powerful man in the entirety of the Imperium, and His Agents have been spreading the Word and aid to people across the Imperium's Empire.

St. Petersburg is Russian Once More!
St. Petersburg, New Russian Federation

After years of Russian traders, followed by settlers being welcomed by the City-State, finally after some, somewhat intense negotiations, St. Petersburg is very much, once again Russian Federation territory. Aside from a shared history and identical cultures, a large reason for this union was due to large food outputs by Russian farms that would be enticing to most people living in the half-starved city, and as always, the health benefits. This was largley the theme in a lot of annexations occuring in Eastern Europe, as Russian borders slowly crawled towards the already establish nations of the Imperium and the Franco-Germanic Empire. Russian traders, followed by settlers entered into Siberia, and the Causcaus, and were met with an almost outright hostile response.

The Federation's military attempted to act accordiningly, and tricked several towns in Siberia into asking for Russian protection, but destroyed those that didn't. After several times of this occuring, many Siberian villages and hamlets began forming together to prevent what they viewed as an obviously hostile Russian advance. A similar scene developed in Daghestan, however the Daghestani's were either outright annexed or killed from the get-go. Attempted seiges on behalf of the Federation's armies led to a fairly large anti-Russian feeling in the Causcaus. Russia's exploits might have given it some land, but it gave it even more enemies.

Asian Events​

Seoul Extends Its Reach

Slow governmental reforms began to occur in Korea, as the system of Absolute Monarchy began to give way to a Constitutional Monarchy. A parliament was created, and the citizens were given a fair amount of rights,while the Emperor still reigns supreme. Korean traders made contact with Japan, and China, and a rather thriving East Asian trade began.

The benevolence shown by the Korean Emperor, and of course, the abundance of food and medicines attracted a lot of settlers to join the Kingdom, allowing for it to expand rather dramatically down the Chinese coast. Several islands off the coast of Kyushu were aquired also, without too many problems from the local populations.

The Project Begins
Vladivostock, Проект

Strange things have been happening in what was the Far-Eastern Soviet. Stranger then the fact that there is such a nation. The Soviet-style government has been mighty successful in collecting pre-Collapse technologies, and molding them into some new beneficial inventions. Scientists, or anyone who has any sort of intellegent grasp on science seems to of been grabbed up, and thrown into specially designed academies, highlighting the pre-war sciences of nano-technologies, bio-technologies, and chemistry. In fact, it seems like the entirety of the Soviet is being run by engineers and scientists.

Railroads from the pre-Collapse days have started being fixed up, along with a few factories, while a lot of farms have began again with a new vigor. Natural resources have begun being harvested once more, with the prime focus on minerals and fuels.

Communications with the Republic of Ezo led to the Republic begrudgingly giving up it's claim to Sakhalin for the Kuril Islands, and it also led to trade with Ezo and Japan itself. Expansion West-ward was fairly simple, do to the chillingly effective means the Project annexed Siberian towns and villages. Its border soon met with the Siber Confederacy, and trade began, if ever so hesitantly.

Siamese Trade Empire
Kuala Lampur, Siam

Taking advantage of the Collapse isn't nescessarilly a bad thing. The economists sitting around in Siam decided that, it is after all, a business oppurtunity. Siamese trade posts were quickly set up trade posts and forts throughout what was Indonesia. Timor, Hainan, parts of Burma and Maluku Utura all soon became very thriving Siamese trade colonies, the Siamese navy made sure of that. Siamese scavenging has also led to quite a few technological imports of materials and machines from before the collapse, which has thus far provided a much needed push to the Siamese industry.

Education became a prime focus of the nation, as schools and teachers began being subsidized by the government, with mathematics and sciences especially being focused on.

Finally, Buddhism became the religion of choice in Siam, though, according to the government, freedom of religion is still the legal status.

Dai Nippon Teikoku
Tokoy, The Greater Japanese Empire

The Japanese Emperor has sent out emissaries across Honshū and Shikoku in the hopes of enticing them to rejoin the Empire, and relive the glorious days before the collapse. And these emissaries were very well recieved, with both regions almost unanimously declaring themselves to once again be part of the renamed Greater Japanese Empire, save for the coastal Korean regions under Korean jurisdiction. To the north, peaceful relation began between the Greater Japanese Empire and the Ezo Republic.

. The Emperor has, in some respects, given way to a Parliament, though as with Korea, his final word is still law. And under his law, the 'Second Meiji Restoration" has begun, encouraging the industrial growth of the nation, with factories and other important industries being subsidized by the government. Along with that, the Japanese education system has gotten a slight boost from what it was.

The Japanese Army and Navy went under some major reforms this year, which has lead to some calling the IJN and IJA the most effective fighting force in the Pacific, though the validity of these statements is really anyones guess

The Winds of Change Hit Mesopatamia
Baghdad, The Empire of Mesopatamia

The Empire of Mesopatamia has begun heavily investing in agricultural development, and it's oil extraction industries, giving the government a fairly large source of revenue as oil ships began heading out of the Persian Gulf, and into the greater world at large. But it seems like the Mesopatamians have a larger view of things, investing an almost equally heavy amount of capital and resources in the development of 'Green Technologies'.

And while oil exports might be sent as far as Japan and England, for the most part, the Mesopatamians, are content to keep the rest of their production soley in-country, to help further their own industry and economies. Tax breaks to larger families have encouraged population growth to an extent, along with a slew of fairly liberal reforms, allowing things such as same-sex marriage and freedom of religion. Something many more classical conservative Muslims are less-that-thrilled about, though, the Jewish minorities in Israel have welcomed annexation a lot better than originally though.

To: The Project

We'll give you the entirety of Yamchatka, if we could reclaim part of Sakhalin.

To: The Korean Empire, The Greater Japanese Empire

We hope our relations can continue to be amiable?

To: The Project

We'd like to extand our hand of friendship to you. While we run our respective nations very differently, a common heritage should bring closer relations between us.

To: Siam

We hope your extended reach into Indonesia stays with your area of influence..

To: Mesopatamia

While we disagree with your.. liberal policies.. we do hope that we can stay friendly over these next few years.

To: The Norse Imperium

We're watching you.

You're raiding ships best stay far away from Scottish shores. If they do, perhaps we can start trading a bit more then we have?

To: The New Russian Federation

Stay away from us, you murderers.

We'd love to have a corridor to the sea, if you'd let us..

To: England

Assuming things continue on the route they're going, we'd hope for closer relations in the future. While we don't want to be a part of your nation, that doesn't nescessarily mean we have to be enemies..

To: Ireland

Your government is mighty disagreeable. But we'll leave you alone, if you leave us alone. Hey, if you change your style a bit.. who is to say a union between us isn't possible?

To: The Dixie Confederacy

How do you want to slice up Kentucky?

To: The Kingdom of Spain

Leave us be, and we'll leave you be.

To: The Kingdom of Spain

Keep what you managed to take, and leave the rest of France, French.

@All- I Like the stories so far. :D

@All- The BT is fairly boring, though their is only so much I could really write about. I feel like the map speaks for itself, for the most part. If you mentioned something in your BT orders, and it wasn't mentioned in the BT, assume it worked.

@Dread- The molding of your economy has begun. But due to the low focus you've put on your economics thus far, it may take another BT for it to really reach the point in which it'd be considered Laissez-Fair.

@LoE- Writing less in the future isn't nescessarily a bad thing. :p

@Eltain- If you could tell me what you're ranking your stats, that'd be appreciated.

Spoiler Map :

Spoiler Names :

From Ireland
To The Connaught Republic

We are interested in reuniting all of Ireland, what reforms would you suggest for a union?

To: Norway

The Emperor of the North desires peace with your person. We propose a recognized agreement between ourselves to you regarding territorial holdings and expansion within Scandinavia. The Emperor considers it of the utmost importance that inner Sweden is recognized as Norse, and within the bounds of the Imperium. We offer to recognize Norway's historical borders, and in doing so, behold ourselves to aid in their maintenance against any foreign force that might attempt to violate them. Please consider our offer; go with Christ.

To: Poland

The Imperium desires peace with its neighbors. Contact us, and we will work out a treaty for the creation of a Polish corridor to the Baltic Sea. Go with Christ.

To: Norse Imperium

What do you want to stop the raiding?

Top Bottom