The Sword of Islam: RFC Medieval Middle East

Probably all national wonders should be removed upon flip and spawn
It's for a new civ after all, getting a prebuild national wonder sounds strange for me

Question: What does the Roman Emperor title do?

Prevents the holder's civ from collapsing due to instability.
All of the titles are explained in the in-game civilopedia.

Ohhhh Okay. I see, thanks.

Hello everyone. I've been away from the forum (and my PC) for several months; the new version of SOI is quite impressive, and I've enjoyed (most of) the changes. However, I have noticed one possible bug/glitch (related to holy cities):

~Playing as Ajmer, I notice that Dwarka (hindu holy city) loses the holy city tag sometime after 1170 AD. It is controlled by Gujarat.

Is this a scripted event? It's especially annoying, as I planned to invade Gujarat after 1200 AD, and build the hindu shrine (which the AI has yet to construct!!)

Did you remove Hinduism from a city via worldbuilder? Doing so removes the holy city tag from the holy city of the religion you just removed.

Ya, I was about to say the same thing.

Also Embryodead, are you still working on the mod? I still have quite a few suggestions, if you are up to improving the mod further.

Nope, I didn't. I did, however, open world-builder & re-apply the holy city tag to Dwarka once I noticed that it had disappeared.

edit: no need to reply, I probably did something boneheaded (and cannot remember).

Of all the minors around, the Zengids could be fun to play. J.Pride stated he'd think of a couple of UHV goals - and here are my ideas.

UU: Iqta'dar - superior Horse Archer with 7 str + starts with Flanking II
UP: Power of Coalitions - easier to convince other factions to join a war

UHV1: Conquer or vassalize Egypt by 1250
UHV2: Do not allow any non-Muslim states in Egypt, Levant and Cicilia in 1291
UHV3: Never lose a city to barbarians until 1400.

What do you think?

Of all the minors around, the Zengids could be fun to play. J.Pride stated he'd think of a couple of UHV goals - and here are my ideas.

UU: Iqta'dar - superior Horse Archer with 7 str + starts with Flanking II
UP: Power of Coalitions - easier to convince other factions to join a war

UHV1: Conquer or vassalize Egypt by 1250
UHV2: Do not allow any non-Muslim states in Egypt, Levant and Cicilia in 1291
UHV3: Never lose a city to barbarians until 1400.

What do you think?

You know what, for the first time, I think you've actually might have convinced me that the Zengids would be fun to play as :) I agree, but perhaps UHV3 should be brought down to 1350? What do you think? I just think that 1400 is a bit late IMO.

BUT... this should only be applied if the Human is playing. So perhaps the AI gets to keep their UU and UP, but the AI should still get the units and be easily vassalized. So essentially AI Zengids would play the same, but Human Zengid player would get the UHV and no help from a large stack of units.

I like the UP, could be quite interesting.

What do you mean "easily vassalized"?

I like the UP, could be quite interesting.

What do you mean "easily vassalized"?

Currently the AI Zengids vassalize to the Seljuks or Abbasids, due to their historical attachment. So I'm saying that should continue, but the Human Zengids should not be so cozy with the Seljuks/Abbasids, but still hold good relationships.

Is that enforced or just coincidental?

They are more likely to become a vassal. But its not 100%, like everything in the game.

2phunkey4u:Those UHVs are on-point and and imo dont need any changes; they sound challanging and fun. Nice Job!

Ive always wanted to play to play a civ based in the Levant (other than the crusaders). The Zengids will be fun because u dont start out as strong as the Ayyubids but have to accomplish the same things. Very challanging but imo possible if u play ur card right.

Hi all... I'm currently playing as the Byzantines, but the "greek fire" quest seems bugged/broken. I've fufilled the requirements, and built 6 war galleys. I have not researched any techs that "advance to mongol invasion era". The quest still appears in my event log. Is there some other time limit, or criteria for this quest that I am not aware of? I've tried loading earlier saves... and building more than 6 war galleys (all in on turn), or building *exactly* six war galleys. Nothing works :(

edit: I successfully completed this quest in an earlier game (unknown version) around 1000 ad. In my current game, I postponed building the requisite war galleys until much later (re: 1200 ad)... but the quest is still 'active' !!

Given that the Byzantine military was known for using horse archers, would it be more accurate to give them the Horse Archer line instead of the horsemen line?

Given that the Byzantine military was known for using horse archers, would it be more accurate to give them the Horse Archer line instead of the horsemen line?

Yeah, that has always puzzled me.

From wiki:
Although the Byzantines developed highly sophisticated infantry tactics, the main work of battle was done by cavalry. The infantry still played an important role when the empire needed to demonstrate its strength. In fact many battles, throughout Byzantine history, began with a frontal assault by the skutatoi with support from the horse archer units known as Hippo-toxotai (Equites Sagittarii).

Again on the Komnenian army:
The light cavalry of the Komnenian army consisted of horse-archers. There were two distinct forms of horse-archer: the lightly equipped skirmisher and the heavier, often armoured, bow-armed cavalryman who shot from disciplined ranks. The native Byzantine horse-archer was of the latter type. They shot arrows by command from, often static, ranks and offered a mobile concentration of missile fire on the battlefield.[90] The native horse-archer had declined in numbers and importance by the Komnenian period, being largely replaced by soldiers of foreign origins.[91] Turks from the Seljuk and Danishmend realms of central and eastern Anatolia, and those Byzantinised Turks and Magyars settled within the empire, such as the Vardariots, supplied the bulk of the heavy horse-archers of the Komnenian army. Towards the end of the period Alans were also supplying this type of cavalry. Such horse archers were often highly disciplined. The Byzantine horse-archers (termed doryphoroi – indicating guard status) at Sozopolis in 1120 performed a feigned flight manoeuvre, always demanding the greatest self-confidence and discipline, which led to the taking of the city from the Turks.[92] Given that they were usually armoured, even if it was comparatively light armour, this type of horse-archer also had the capability to fight with melee weapons in close combat. Skirmish horse-archers, usually unarmoured, were supplied by the Turkic Pechenegs, Cumans and Uzes of the steppes.[93] These troops were ideal scouts and were adept at harassment tactics. They usually attacked as a swarm and were very difficult for a more heavily equipped enemy to bring into close combat. Light horse-archers were also effective as a screening force, preventing an enemy discerning the dispositions of other troops (for example at the Battle of Sirmium).

Maybe the intent was to have the player hire more mercenary horse archers from the local tribes (which was true). But then it seems that the Byzantines used their own specific horse archers (differently armored) as well.

Hi Edead,

I'm very happy you made these changes, but out of curiosity,why the sudden change of heart when it comes to adding the camel resource (something which you did not want to add earlier), and making the pig resource unusable for Muslim civs. By the way, when you mean "unusable" do you mean that they don't get a bonus from them?

Also I suggest that camels should also give one commerce as well, considering how vital they were for trade routes, especially in the Arabian peninsula, but really across the region.

PS. Shouldn't there be at least one source of camels in India, most likely in the Punjab/Sindh area?

Hi Edead,

I'm very happy you made these changes, but out of curiosity,why the sudden change of heart when it comes to adding the camel resource (something which you did not want to add earlier), and making the pig resource unusable for Muslim civs. By the way, when you mean "unusable" do you mean that they don't get a bonus from them?

Because 1) Stolenrays made a real camel resource and 2) I figured I can use it as Food bonus, not Strategic one (it's practically only Food, since Yemen is always going to have access to Camels). With Pigs I was always for it, just couldn't find a simple way to do it.

Also I suggest that camels should also give one commerce as well, considering how vital they were for trade routes, especially in the Arabian peninsula, but really across the region.

Just build a caravan ;)

PS. Shouldn't there be at least one source of camels in India, most likely in the Punjab/Sindh area?

1. India has enough Food resources
2. They were brought from the Middle East after the spread of Islam i.e. you can trade them

On another note: sorry all, I see there's many old posts I still didn't quite reply :(

Top Bottom