SGOTM 14 - Phoenix Rising

Actually not stiring away from GLH, if we can get that - good as well.
Forgot about it, expecting a bit that it will be gone anyway considering we also need a lighthouse somewhere.

Is Oracle gone already? If we could trade for the techs, that would be terrific too.
But Glib is the most realistic probably, i was suggesting neither the Pantheon or MoM are worth it.
We will have our bulbing power focused in the capital, a 50% bonus doesn't make up for the waiting time on Glib and NE.
Same goes for MoM, it comes too late for 4 more rounds of GA to make up for it.

If oracle goes really late I wonder if skipping it was the right decision. Was our test save too harsh????

Oracle and GLH have not gone on live save.

We should pause at next great person if a GE. Otherwise play to 725bc. I think Washington should produce the next great person.

In terms of Gems city. Should we mine a hill before we road to new city?

Sorry, been away the weekend so it's taking me a bit to get back into things. One thought, if the oracle still isn't taken, we can possibly settle on marble, with a couple of forests pre-chopped, get it out in 2-3 turns...

How much of a distraction is that though?

ok, plan to play tomorrow I suppose. once marble gets hooked up and if we get alpha could consider oracle, but i wouldn't detour for it. Would require us to research 3 techs

I think at this stage we have decided against Oracle. Even if we get the 3 techs we still need a settler or to chop it out. Without maths that is a big ask. Better to get the trading chip instead.

If once we have marble and the techs it is still there that is another matter.

ok, timeout . Several things happened worth discussing before proceeding, nothing bad though

1. Oracle went about 950, not surprising

2. We popped a GE rather than a great scientist. Not sure what to do with this. Using a GE for 200 hammers for Glighthouse doesn't seem worthwhile, especially as we don't have foreign trade routes yet. Could bulb metal casting or machinery, but what would we do with that? We could save him for GLib or parthenon (parthenon might be worthwhile now as see #3)

3. Nobody's researched alpha yet. Doh. Should we research alpha after aesthetics so we can trade it around? somebody has col and somebody has monarchy and christianity has been founded, so lots of techs out there. Do we go for currency and just delay of Glib until somebody gets it? only takes 6 turns to research

4. Barb archer is in our copper spot. I have a force sufficient to deal with him though if needed. Worker 1 turn from landing on copper and settler 3 turns from founding copper city.

Live save attached!!!!!! I'm holding on submitting it for now.

Attachments

• Dorothy BC-0825.CivBeyondSwordSave
    134.1 KB · Views: 28
Oh well you know and knew my opinions, gl with what you to decide to play on ;)
Taking a break, will be back at a later point.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how many extra GPs the Parthenon would give us over say, 100 turns? If we can get two extra GSs out of it, I'd say it'd be worth it. The MoM is another nice wonder, of course.

Let's go straight for literature next. The sooner GL comes along, the better. The AIs are bound to get alpha soon, unless something weird is afoot. It's not like we need any trades badly right now.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how many extra GPs the Parthenon would give us over say, 100 turns? If we can get two extra GSs out of it, I'd say it'd be worth it. The MoM is another nice wonder, of course.

Let's go straight for literature next. The sooner GL comes along, the better. The AIs are bound to get alpha soon, unless something weird is afoot. It's not like we need any trades badly right now.

If I recall correctly, PHI badly nerfs the parthenon due to additive bonuses and the way that GP costs increase. MoM is a real cherry on top wonder. I love it as well but it may not be worth it if we're racing towards victory.

I don't mind going straight for lit. Maybe 1 or 2 turns into alpha so we can trade aesth for it as soon as the AI gets it.

i can't go for lit without mysticism and polytheism, right? should i research those instead of alpha?

Is Mylene suggesting the great light house is a bad idea with closed borders? So 6 cities and 2 commerce extra per city? 12 commerce a turn? Maybe 36+ with foreign trade routes. Against an early great lib that allows NE much sooner too. The GLH would give GM points in the Gems city.

Yes head for Lit asap if we decide against GLH. Fact that the Ai is slow is not an issue. Can you get lit without alphabet? Not checked.

Overall getting the Great lib with GE sounds a good move as it will effectively over double the GS GP points in our capital. With rep it will be a huge boost.

I suspect the Ai are a bit slower on the live game than our test game.

As for the barb city. Do we take a gamble and put the warrior on the hill and hope the archer goes for the bait? Archers get a defensive bonus on hills. Overall the archer is likely to delay the new city.

Jay how many turns were you intending on playing?? How many have you already played?? I would not leave the live save in the thread after you complete your turnset. You were right to pause with barb archer and GE.

i was planning to play til 725 bc, I think that ends up being 13 turns.

Lit requires polytheism, you want me to self tech myst and poly? because that's 3-4 turns of research for dead end techs when with 6 turns of alpha research I could easily trade for them and kick around alpha as a trading chip to get sailing and IW as well
the archer on the hill is equal odds as attacking the archer in the forest. I will plan to let him attack the warrior or i will go after him when he moves around

i will hang onto the GE for now then.

I agree 5-6 turns on dead end techs for Ai to get Alphabet seems a waste. We do want lit though asap. Could try teching alphabet. The question is how many of the 4 will actually trade techs? How far do we think the Ai are from alphabet??

I am guessing one still refuses to open borders?? I have not had a chance to study the save in details.

Are we against GLH or will it ultimately slow down our bulbing strategy. I would guess the Ai are not far from this. I don't like idea of gifting alphabet/ aesth to just get open borders. No need to help the Ai too much.

I think mylene has right idea about early Glib/ early NE. Really make our capital a great city asap.

ok, I stopped a turn early as a couple of things happened that should be discussed. I took out the barb archer but lost my archer at 61% combat odds. Doh. I settled our copper city (needs to be renamed) and what should appear out of the fog but a spearman. Fortunately, we have 2 warriors down there at the city and wheat gems finishes an archer this turn, but we might want to whip something from sweet sheep to go down there to lock it down. Can't be done this turnset unfortunately due to sheep only at size 3.

Also, we're 3 turns from alpha and one of the teams just got alpha. None of the other teams have it. My thought would to be press on and see if we can get it and trade it to other teams as aesthetics is too much atm to give up anyway, and when we flip aesthetics we want to flip it to all.

I dont think GLH has gone.

Here's the trouble. Maybe the english scout will die for us, or lead the spearman away

Spoiler :

Not had a chance to load the save. We need to move the warrior away from our border so the spearman has no reason to approach our border.

Have we got time to work the copper and upgrade a warrior?? Need to check live save. Need to eat first.

Could we complete alphabet and trade it?? Or do we use aesth to trade off for more jucier techs. If we have already mined an iron tile we could upgrade a warrior? Options.

We do need to play out 2-3 turns to see what the spear does. We could whip an archer in the sheep city?

Sounds like we got really unlucky with that barb archer. :(

no time to work the copper and upgrade to a warrior. I think it will take 4 turns to get our archer from wheat gems to the city. Another archer could arrive the same turn from sweet sheep I think. Do you want me to play out a turn to see what happens or wait til the next turnset. Not sure where the team is, very quiet now

no time to work the copper and upgrade to a warrior. I think it will take 4 turns to get our archer from wheat gems to the city. Another archer could arrive the same turn from sweet sheep I think. Do you want me to play out a turn to see what happens or wait til the next turnset. Not sure where the team is, very quiet now

You attacked with the archer??? Hmmmm not best of ideas probably as the archer would of suicided eventually.

Okay we can trade aesth for at least alphabet and maybe IW too? We should probably do this soon. Are all Ai likely to trade with us? If we trade for IW we could get lucky with iron? We should certainly trade techs before we continue.

We need to withdraw our warriors to the city asap and hope the spear does not head our way. Can we chop a forest before the spear arrives??

In terms of the AI they seem really slow to 3-4 cities. On test game one Ai had 6-8 cities by now. English still have 2 cities!!! Ackkk.

Our scouting missions with WBs seem to of been withdrawn? I think we should be able to get the AI to open borders.

JB I do think playing 1-2 more turns needs to be done. Especially the tech trades for iron reveal.

Top Bottom