Non-Critical Gameplay Problems

Sevopedia entry for Culture (Aztec) points to building the Jaguar animal unit when it should point to the Jaguar human unit (maybe call them Jaguar Warriors like AoE to differentiate?)

Also, are Snipers supposed to look like Riflemen?

I'm more concerned that Snipers are practically immue to xp growth. The only way for them to gain it is either events (villagers who believe in mercy) or goodie huts... unless there is a untouched land mass somewhere that late in the game... this means xp is hidiously unlikely.

Okay... so they gain xp on defense... but that means finding something both puny enough not to instantly kill them and able to see invisible in the first place. They should gain xp for both killing units with their attacks and damaging units should gain them looting level xp.

Snipers are already nerfed as the can't only attack hostile units for some reason.

Market and Grocer are available after Trade tech, along with Bazaar and Trading Post, so I can build them both in a row. Is that intended?

Some annoyance with descriptions: (I play on 1440x900 btw)
- the Spiritual leader trait description could use some cleanup, it's... overwhelming to say the least (combine all 10%/25%/50% faster production lines into single lines?)
- most of the common Subdued Animal buildings (Governor's Pets/Menagerie, Master Hunter etc) also have ridiculously large descriptions (combine them to say they can be built by Subdued Animals in general?)

Some annoyance with descriptions: (I play on 1440x900 btw)
- the Spiritual leader trait description could use some cleanup, it's... overwhelming to say the least (combine all 10%/25%/50% faster production lines into single lines?)
- most of the common Subdued Animal buildings (Governor's Pets/Menagerie, Master Hunter etc) also have ridiculously large descriptions (combine them to say they can be built by Subdued Animals in general?)

Not sure what you mean in point 1. An image may help.

Point 2 is actually a symptom of another issue since the heroes component has a similar problem. The list of units that can build the building is built by the dll and does not "think" about how long the list is. BTW only half or so of the subdued animals can build those buildings.

Not sure what you mean in point 1. An image may help.

Spoiler :

it is currently listed as:

religion cathedral
religion temple
religion cathedral
religion temple
religion cathedral
religion temple
religion cathedral
religion temple...,etc.

it should be:

religion cathedral religion cathedral religion cathedral...etc
religion temple religion temple religion temple...etc

to reduce the length

Spoiler :

it is currently listed as:

religion cathedral
religion temple
religion cathedral
religion temple
religion cathedral
religion temple
religion cathedral
religion temple...,etc.

it should be:

religion cathedral religion cathedral religion cathedral...etc
religion temple religion temple religion temple...etc

to reduce the length

OK, all part of the same issue. I have mentioned it in the v19 bug thread so it may get the attention it needs. Another part of the problem is that that text box has a fixed width.

Thank you for providing the image, nightcreature!

Point 2 is actually a symptom of another issue since the heroes component has a similar problem. The list of units that can build the building is built by the dll and does not "think" about how long the list is. BTW only half or so of the subdued animals can build those buildings.
I didn't know the descriptions were generated by the DLL. It's kinda sad because I can't see what I was gonna be building because of the huge description (can still see the bonus they provide so it's fine I guess... until some more animals :p)

Thank you for providing the image, nightcreature!

I didn't know the descriptions were generated by the DLL. It's kinda sad because I can't see what I was gonna be building because of the huge description (can still see the bonus they provide so it's fine I guess... until some more animals :p)
A lot of stuff both in the mouseovers and the pedia are generated from the actual settings in the XML, partially in the DLL and partially in Python (for the pedia). The big advantage is that that documentation always fits to what the actual gameplay behavior is. On the other hand you get some pointlessly large descriptions like that.
One option would be to just mention a certain number of units that can build something and if there are more just add ',...' at the end.

The civic thing is harder because you do want all of the effects displayed and combining entries by value is not a fast change. One option would be to change the display like that:
Faster Building Production: Jewish Synagogue (10%), Jewish Monastery (25%), Christian Cathedral (10%), and so on

Hey guys,

Cows shouldn't create an instant rescource after killing on salt flakes.

Kind regards

the new one :)

Attachments

• Cows on saltflakes.JPG
    Cows on saltflakes.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 59
A lot of stuff both in the mouseovers and the pedia are generated from the actual settings in the XML, partially in the DLL and partially in Python (for the pedia). The big advantage is that that documentation always fits to what the actual gameplay behavior is. On the other hand you get some pointlessly large descriptions like that.
One option would be to just mention a certain number of units that can build something and if there are more just add ',...' at the end.

The civic thing is harder because you do want all of the effects displayed and combining entries by value is not a fast change. One option would be to change the display like that:
Faster Building Production: Jewish Synagogue (10%), Jewish Monastery (25%), Christian Cathedral (10%), and so on

For traits, you need to arrange the buildings in order of faster building production. put all 10% in order, then the 25%, etc.

More useless stuff I noticed:
- Sevopedia -> Building Upgrades: Frontier Outpost and Fortified Outpost show distinct upgrade paths even though the latter is an upgrade to the former
- Sevopedia -> Improvements: "Becon" should probably be "Beacon" :)

Yes, I go into the Sevopedia a lot. Still trying to digest the ginormous amount of content added!

Also, any chance of expanding the Sevopedia to cover the entire screen? On 1440x900, it still shows a large part of the background.

More useless stuff I noticed:
- Sevopedia -> Building Upgrades: Frontier Outpost and Fortified Outpost show distinct upgrade paths even though the latter is an upgrade to the former

The upgrade trees are generated by code. There is a similar problem with the units in particular the canoes.

- Sevopedia -> Improvements: "Becon" should probably be "Beacon" :)

This is what you get when you let dyslexic people mod. IE me. Edit fix now in the beta (SVN).
Yes, I go into the Sevopedia a lot. Still trying to digest the ginormous amount of content added!

Also, any chance of expanding the Sevopedia to cover the entire screen? On 1440x900, it still shows a large part of the background.

I doubt it, it is a lot of work. If I go above the default screen resolution I get graphic crashes so I wont be doing it. ;)

I'm trying to use the perfect mongoose map script because its the best we have I think. Except that I'm having real trouble getting it to allow more than a third of the map or so to be more than just ice and permafrost. That's frustrating and takes from some of the enjoyment. I don't have a clue how to work with that stuff but if anyone can assist with making that mapscript cut this amount of terrain by 50-75% I'd be real appreciative!

I'm trying to use the perfect mongoose map script because its the best we have I think. Except that I'm having real trouble getting it to allow more than a third of the map or so to be more than just ice and permafrost. That's frustrating and takes from some of the enjoyment. I don't have a clue how to work with that stuff but if anyone can assist with making that mapscript cut this amount of terrain by 50-75% I'd be real appreciative!

As far as I can see the only problem with perfect mongoose map is that it follows the convention that one acre at the pole takes the same amount of map space as 1000 acres at the equator. That is it goes with the idea that each degree of latitude has the same amount of land area. I am too lazy at the moment to come up with abetter geometry based on actual surface area of a sphere translated to a rectangle.

Top Bottom