Questions about the advanced settings?

So I am planning to set a new game up and want to use the advanced settings a bit better But I had some questions about some options ?

question 1 What effect have these features on the map can ?
These are the features I have problems with:

-World age :
3 billon years:
4 billions years
5 billons years

-temperature
Cool,hot,temperature what does it do?

-rainfall
arid,wet,normal

-Sea level
low medium high

Question 2 Whats the difference between the Strategic balance, legendary start , abundant resource settings? how does it effects the game ?
And whats the best chooise If you want a game where everyone gets some Iron and horses?

Thanx you in advance

So I am planning to set a new game up and want to use the advanced settings a bit better But I had some questions about some options ?

question 1 What effect have these features on the map can ?
These are the features I have problems with:

-World age :
3 billon years:
4 billions years
5 billons years

-temperature
Cool,hot,temperature what does it do?

-rainfall
arid,wet,normal

-Sea level
low medium high

Question 2 Whats the difference between the Strategic balance, legendary start , abundant resource settings? how does it effects the game ?
And whats the best chooise If you want a game where everyone gets some Iron and horses?

Thanx you in advance

Question 1 :

Age : 5 billions will give you less hills than 4. 3 billion is the opposite(lot of hills).

Temperature : Ice/toundra appearance rate near poles. Hot reduce significantly the appearance of these kind of tiles and cold raise them.

Rainfall : Arid will give you more plains/desert tiles and less grassland. Wet is the opposite.

Sea level : Total landmass. Low for more landmass and high for less landmass.

Question 2 :

Strategic balance : Automatically give you iron and horses in capital.

Legendary starts : Double non regular tiles in capital(like sheep, deer, etc).

Abundant : More ressource of the same tile(3 instead of 2 and 9 instead of 6). Not sure if it's more tile abundant.

If your going for an OCC, Legendary starts are great.

If you want to have some Iron to go conquer your neighbor, Strategic is great.

I'm thinking Abundant is mostly for those that want more late game resources (Oil/Al/Coal) as those wanting Iron rather be assured of having some in the capital.

Ah, that's interesting I always thought that "Hot Temperature" would cause more deserts. If it just causes less tundra and ice I might have to try it.

On another note: joncnunn (or anybody else) what is OCC?

Does having a higher rainfall lead to more forests and jungles as well?

Question 1 :

Temperature : Ice/toundra appearance rate near poles. Hot reduce significantly the appearance of these kind of tiles and cold raise them.

Rainfall : Arid will give you more plains/desert tiles and less grassland. Wet is the opposite.

Can anyone confirm this? i thought wet/hot gave more desert/jungle tiles for example.

i tried a couple of games on hot and it seemed to have way more dessert
and since the reason i tried it was that i hate all the crap tiles ice/tundra/dessert that the ai loves to slab down cities on(to grab 4 iron in modern era!!!), it didnt work out for me at all
im still praying for a map mod that lets me decide % of dessert, ice, tundra, rivers, forrest and jungle, there was a wonderfull one for civ 4 but i guess it cant be done with civ5 yet?

OCC=One City Challenge. It's one of the settings in the Advanced Settings area. The human player gets one city, cannot build Settlers and all cities (inc capitals and city states) captured are auto razed. It can be hard if you lack for resources. Personally I like it like that, I like the Challenge part of the One City Challenge.:)

Cold/hot just shifts the balance. Hot=more dessert but less tundra. Cold=less dessert but more tundra. Basicly it just moves the terrain borders up or down.

Wet/Arid is about forests (but perhaps also rivers, not sure). Wet=more forest+jungle, arid=less forest + jungle.

World age is about hills (and mountains I think). 3 billion=more hills, 5 billion=less hills.

So you can use this to manipulate the map in your favour (or not).

Iroquois, aztec: Wet, more forests!
Inca: 3 Billion, more hills and mountains!
Arabia: Cold, less dessert! (you're going to start near dessert so the less there is the better terrain you have)
Denmark: Hot (opposite of Arabia)
Russia: Scarse resources (you'll compensate, others won't)
Polynesia: High sealevel (more water, more places you can get early and others can't)

And so on, and so forth.

My questions are:
* Does Wet/arid effect rivers or lakes?
* Does world age also affect mountains?

OCC=One City Challenge. It's one of the settings in the Advanced Settings area. The human player gets one city, cannot build Settlers and all cities (inc capitals and city states) captured are auto razed. It can be hard if you lack for resources. Personally I like it like that, I like the Challenge part of the One City Challenge.:)

Thanks, I've noticed the One City Challenge before in the game but didn't connect it to the abbreviation. I never have tried it - it looks to difficult.

Thanks, I've noticed the One City Challenge before in the game but didn't connect it to the abbreviation. I never have tried it - it looks to difficult.

It isn't as difficult as you might think. As long as your starting position isn't bad there's both ups and downs. You'll be rushing through the policies at top speed, be able to get alot of wonders but on the other hand keeping tech up can be hard and you'll need a large millitary to keep opponents away. Your large cultural area does allow you to fight a good defensive war when required.

That sucks. I want my dessert! Can't live without that cheesecake.

Well, you can always go for hot and arid. That gives you plenty of dessert and smaller jungles as well.

Try the sandstorm map if you have it!

And you can also do an archepello OCC. About 25% of the time you might have another major civ on the landmass at standard map size and below, but the other 75% of the time you'd have your island to yourself and so wouldn't need that large military; just a few boats to meet everybody that eventually get upgraded to Frigates and then Destroyers as local defense.

It isn't as difficult as you might think. As long as your starting position isn't bad there's both ups and downs. You'll be rushing through the policies at top speed, be able to get alot of wonders but on the other hand keeping tech up can be hard and you'll need a large millitary to keep opponents away. Your large cultural area does allow you to fight a good defensive war when required.

Ah, that's interesting I always thought that "Hot Temperature" would cause more deserts. If it just causes less tundra and ice I might have to try it.

Yep i forgot about this. It reduces ice/toundra tiles, but also raise desert and plain tiles. I think it also raises jungle tiles at equator.

In fact, a combination of hot and arid is hmm...well...almost barren :lol:. You have to relay on special tiles to survive.

I don't remember which combination raise jungle tiles significantly. I think it's hot and wet. Been a while i didn't play with these settings.

Try 'em, you will see.

Yep i forgot about this. It reduces ice/toundra tiles, but also raise desert and plain tiles. I think it also raises jungle tiles at equator.

In fact, a combination of hot and arid is hmm...well...almost barren :lol:. You have to relay on special tiles to survive.

I don't remember which combination raise jungle tiles significantly. I think it's hot and wet. Been a while i didn't play with these settings.

Try 'em, you will see.

Hot creates a larger equator area, thus larger aread where jungle and desserts appear.
Wet increases the amount of forests and jungles.

So hot and wet is alot of jungle. Cold and arid is large tundras, small deserts, little forests. Wouldn't call it barren though.

Well, you can always go for hot and arid. That gives you plenty of dessert and smaller jungles as well.

Try the sandstorm map if you have it!

I was just making a joke about the spelling.

Dessert = what you eat after dinner.
Desert = land with no water.

=P

Cold/hot just shifts the balance. Hot=more dessert but less tundra. Cold=less dessert but more tundra. Basicly it just moves the terrain borders up or down.

Wet/Arid is about forests (but perhaps also rivers, not sure). Wet=more forest+jungle, arid=less forest + jungle.
That's basically it.
The temperature setting affects only terrain bands (desert, plains, tundra, snow...),
The humidity setting affects only features (forest, jungle, marsh...).
So, for example, an 'arid' setting does not cause more desert to appear, because it only affects features.
My questions are:
* Does Wet/arid effect rivers or lakes?
* Does world age also affect mountains?
The humidity setting has no effect on the forming of rivers or lakes. Also the temperature setting doesn't. Although you won't see rivers on snow, that is because the map script automatically 'softens' the terrain around rivers in cold areas: snow becomes tundra, tundra becomes plains. The rivers stay.
World age affects both peaks and hills.

That's basically it.
The temperature setting affects only terrain bands (desert, plains, tundra, snow...),
The humidity setting affects only features (forest, jungle, marsh...).
So, for example, an 'arid' setting does not cause more desert to appear, because it only affects features.

The humidity setting has no effect on the forming of rivers or lakes. Also the temperature setting doesn't. Although you won't see rivers on snow, that is because the map script automatically 'softens' the terrain around rivers in cold areas: snow becomes tundra, tundra becomes plains. The rivers stay.
World age affects both peaks and hills.

Very good to know this! You guys should certainly make an info thread somewhere easy to find. I'm not so interested in the numbers myself though.

It seems weird to me there is no setting to influence the amount of rivers/lakes. That would be a very good addition for in the future.

Top Bottom