Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

Hey,

The Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon & the Coming of the Raft Clans.

With Fu Shan's method of raft building came a increase in the numbers of people that could fish. This gave rise to families gathering closer to become clans. The oldest mother became the head of the fishing venture. Five such Raft Clans came into being. It was hard work & many lives were lost before swimming became a skill taught at early age. These clans were given claims to areas of the lake to fish. With the increased fishing came healther subjects of King Shushi. Fishing and any related work became a honorable job. The bounty of the Lake was for the taking.

Blaze Injun

"So, What is this?" asked Gideon. Even as Golden Handed, he didn't pretend he knew everything. Instead, he still turned towards the traditional story keepers, the Priests of the Golden Sun, for knowledge he needed to run his kingdom.

The particular item he pointed at was a great obelisk point up into the sky. The rough rock was smoothed enough so that it shone in the sunlight, but retained enough character to seem to be flowing before his eyes. Ontop was a small pyramid of gold.

"That is a Finger of Aset, the earth." replied the priest. The young cleric quickly spread a triangle across his body; the Head, the Heart, the Gut. He continued his story;

Aset is one of the first gods to meet the Golden Sun, Aktan during creation. The Sun was the center of a sphere of order in a sea of Chaos, and Aset, as one of the first gods, formed at the boundary between these two forces. When he met the sun, he attempted to wrestle it, until the bright rays of the supreme Aktan had cast the rebellious god through chaos until he was covered with mud.

It was from this mud that Aset's prison was made. This god still resisted the power of Aktan and the more agreeable gods, so these pillars are made- they cast a shadow of power onto the earth and help keep the seal strong.

"That is the story of Aset and his power within our world." finished the priest. "Watch, as the sunlight catches the shadow of the great finger, and casts it before the ground. Watch as it inscribes a rune as the sun paths through the sky."

And so Gideon watched the shadow slowly inscribe an eye on the flat surface as the Cleric told him the more specific details of the Golden Sun, of creation and taming of the main deities peasants worshiped, like the River Nule, or his cousin the Mule, who causes the floods. At the center is always the Golden Sun.

He turned to the priest. "Remember when Mine collapse. Great earth shake, many men and gold lost." he asked. "This Prison of Aset- our earth- is it weakened?"

The Cleric blanched, "Isn't the creation of Aktan perfect? Isn't it self-evident that we cannot save or hurt this land of Gods and men?" before the young man left, Gideon grasped the Cleric firmly on the shoulder.

"We see here, a tower of one stone" he said, "Yet still many men high".

"We will see here, a tower of many such stones. Each stone will be covered in gold and inscribed with our rituals." He gestured, "A temple for you to worship the great power of the Golden Sun? Why stay for a roof when you can bath in it's power during peaching and your raving?"

The Cleric begun to nod as the two men walked towards the Temple of the Golden Sun.

It will be wonderful.

2 EP ----> Mines

Supposedly, they say, there is great wealth and large amounts of stone buried in the hills, treasure for those willing to risk delving into the deeps to find it. Some may say that that is a foolhardy action... that delving into these hills and disturbing the spirits of nature, disturbing the spirits of our ancestors, is wrong and unjust. Those people are shortsighted, they do not see the big picture that is before us now... the big picture is of course, the future of our nation.

My father passed away quite a long time ago. He was a good man, led our nation through the ages well, but it is time for new leadership.

Some people would call me... unorthodox, that I do not know what I talk about, what I speak of. Those people are fools, and stand in the way of progress and it's spoils. We must bring forth as much wealth from the hills and everywhere we can, to make our nation the most powerful upon this world. Honor and loyalty stay many shields, but gold and silver, trade and power through the markets is more powerful than even swords and spears themselves. That should be known to many people, it shall be known to many people...

I have fought with the people who own the hills, I have fought with our religious leaders, and I have fought with our traders and our merchants. I have managed to sway large swathes of them, large swathes indeed, and it should be enough to outway the naysayers. I am ashamed by how long it has taken... the more time it has taken, the less amount of time that we have had to work, to mine, to pull the mineral wealth out of the ground and expand our horizons as progress marches forward. Do these fools not see that?

Regardless, the people of my nation look to me for support. We are already expanding along the river, and I'm helping it along by diverting gold and trade down there as well as armed men to expand our borders as quick as we can. Progress... marches on, through time and no matter what happens it will continue to do so. That we should know, that we shall know, and that we shall do.

Trade.

Wealth.

Capital.

Progress.

All of it is a part of our nation.

All of it shall be ours.

The diaries of the Second Emperor.

Consider yourself 24 hour warned, but the truth is that I've written the update except for the two factions I'm missing.

If you are Omega or bestrfcplayer though, I'll warn you that I am tempted to post this update as soon as I can get away with it, like, midnight or something.

So, you're more like 17 hour warned.

So... 1 Questions. 1, about how long is each update (for succession purposes... for me Gideon is still getting used to leading, while for Tycho he's already to the Second Emperor already.)
Question 2: Should we label what we want from our story, or is that too gamey? Would you give extra bonuses to a well written and multi-faceted story?

1. More than one generation, less than 3, something like a hundred years or so, which is still probably too short for our tech progression atm.

2. You can label them if you want, but any story is going to get pigeonholed somewhere and limit what sort of bonuses you can get from them. I read the stories, and I think you will be quite satisfied when you see what I've been doing with them. I want to reward stories as much as possible, but I've also learned that without limits storytelling bonuses quickly spiral out of control. Pigeonholing and dividing the stores by types is how I counter the power of stories so that I can feel confident rewarding them properly.

Well written, multifaceted, these things will increase your specific bonus, make the numbers bigger.

Update Soundtrack: Rox in the Box by the Decemberists

-

The primary sources of human civilization in pre-ancient times were along the Nile (Nule) and various bodies of water in the East. Along the Nile (Nule) legends flourished, mostly divided into two camps.

In the Northern part of the Nule the practical minded people of the Zulappi civilization told legends of constructing great wonders, Stonehenge. The people were focused on the holiness of rocks, not surprising then, that they left monuments of such beautiful stone arrangements. Modern scholars debate whether the Stonehenge in Zull was left incomplete by its builders, or was damaged in the ages since.

(Zulappi: Stonehenge (3/4), Reputation +2)

The Epic of the Golden Handed is a more fantastic tale, told of metaphysical Gods and concluding with many proverbs about the act of mining. The people of Satura were, without a doubt, more imaginative than their neighbors, but being a people of the Nule river in that era, they were also hard working, and I have mentioned that many of their proverbs revolved around the act of mining. It was all mining and astrology.

The most interesting legend has nothing to do with either though, the legend of the Warrior Dance tells of a wandering tribe of raiders who had been troubling the famously Golden Handed king for some time, although they had not yet attacked it put him on edge and he commissioned an army. These warriors went out and investigated the countryside, finding the raiders quickly since they knew the land. The foreign warriors began a battle dance, as was their custom, but this custom was unknown in the Nule region and so, in response, the Saturans lifted their weapons into the air and roared, stomping their feet.

The foreign warriors fled at once and were never seen in the land of Satura again.

(Satura: Economy Expansion Complete, Reputation +4, +1 Warrior, Stonehenge (1/6), Social Cohesion +1)

But we would be remiss to ignore the civilizations of the East, because the wealth and culture of these lands were equal, at least, to the stature of the Nule civilizations. Unlike the Nule civilizations though, they lack the easy to identify commonalities. In the West, stoneworkers and miners told stories that they felt explained the nature of earth, the stones, mud and dirt that dominated the region.

In the East civilizations were wildly different, and the source of this is clear. These traditions each reflect the geographic realities of their space and time, to the builders and traders of the Nule they saw stones and mud. The fishermen of The Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon saw the lifeblood, or as this extremely philosophical people put it the 'Mind-Bread,' of man in their lake. The origin tales of the infamous Fishing Clans come from this era, when the biggest fishing families came together to ask the King to invest 3 economic points into their ventures to help grow the economy of the land.

But the bounty of Junjan was not limited to fishing. It is here that we find the first evidence of organized agriculture, which lines up with a legend of the early settlers using fish guts as fertilizers.

The people of the Kingdom of the Dragon also told a legend of how they developed a method to immerse salmon in smoke, preserving the food and allowing the Kingdom to export their bountiful foodstuffs. The long lost recipe, however, is one of the famous mysteries of that time.

(Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon: +Trade Good: Dragon Smoked Salmon, Agriculture Complete, Reputation +4)

The Kingdom of Shang had little cultural connection to their neighbors of the Heavenly Dragon, they had little interest in the rivers and oceans and their stories of the time reflect that. They were culturally more like a Nule Kingdom than other Eastern Nations of the time, and their concerns were practical and very focused on material commodity. The 'Mining Tales' of the sort we have become familiar with in the west are also prominent here.

The difference being that the people of Shang were much more involved in the actual trade of their goods, they had already constructed a market to consolidate their merchandise when the mine began to produce gems. There are also many legends of thieves, stealing the gems, which find their origin in this time.

It is possible, if the thief problem went undealt with it could have developed into a major problem for the Kingdom. Our records are unclear.

(Kingdom of Shang: Economy Expansion Complete ( and also 1/3 towards the next expansion), +Trade Good: Precious Gems, Reputation +3)

In Kitanato the nation was completely isolated culturally, but they still had a rich tradition of religion and martial discipline that united the people.

It is said in those days that the barbarian tribes of the island demanded a ransom for peace, and when the King of Kitanato ignored them they set out to attack. The barbarians charged down into the city only to find the spearchuckers of Kitanato, the easiest to identify stone age unit in any archaeological site, the most unique.

The barbarians were repulsed, humbled, and sent out to the wilderness.

(Celestial Kingdom of Kitanato: +2 Reputation, Economy Banked)

In the Land of the Sun the tales were dire and tragic. The rulers of the Bado line were considered absentee leaders and the population began to divide, herein lie our legends.

The traders of Ur rivaled with the fishermen, and on occasion they did fight in the streets to settle disputes. Clubs and axes were swung against fishermen equipped with crude spears, the massacre of lower Ur was deeply felt by both factions and there was great bitterness.

The Story of the Lost King also comes from this time, the sad tale of a ruler of the Bado line who could never find his way out of his palace and never knew the wonders or troubles of his Kingdom.

(The Land of the Sun: -1 Social Cohesion, Economy Banked, +1 Corruption, Send Orders Please)

-

To: Zulappi

We are nomad traders and we wish to begin a proper route to carry the trade goods of the Nule across the great Mountains and Deserts in hopes of finding new markets in the East. We realize that we cannot do this without the support of the nations involved and so we come to you first and ask for your protection inside the borders of Zulappi. From here we will begin to seek out new markets and as our route expands many ideas and goods will be traded along it.

To: Satura

We have heard stories of your mighty battle dances and we would be honored to fight alongside you in your future battles. We happen to have foraged many Spices from this barbaric land and we wish to learn the ways of the civilized tribes.

To: Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon

A large group of nomads has arrived at our walls. They want to come in and settle among us, but I worry that they are ignorant to our customs and adding them might damage social cohesion. However if we don't allow them in, they may well fall in with barbarians and come back with weapons. It is a difficult decision, and I leave it in your hands.

To: Kingdom of Shang

Our explorers have told tales of your great kingdom for many moons, and we have risked the dangerous territory to offer a deal. We have many Furs and we want to trade them for your Precious Gems.

To: Celestial Kingdom of Kitanato

In our journeys up and down the beaches of the Celestial Kingdom we happened to find foreigners. Their raft was shipwrecked, it could not manage the great Sea for long, the sailors claim it was built for rivers. We might be able to figure out how to build such things, if we can convince these men to cooperate. They speak the Language "of the Dragon" and it is difficult to communicate with them, although their pictograms of dragons are very clear. Maybe their homeland would appreciate it if we could find a way to return them.

To: Land of the Sun

This conflict between trader gangs and fishermen gangs is hurting our tax intake, we really need to resolve this problem.

-

Spoiler :

OOC: How do you guys feel about the pace, are you enjoying the leisurely time between updates here or do your hearts pine for something faster? Should I update on the 21st, or wait until the 28th?

@Terrance: I'm sorry, apparently your original color was the same as the water color. It's a little darker now.

OOC: The pacing is nice, going at our current rate of one update a week sounds good to me.

My vote would be for:

A pace that will let the NES last forever.

And/or 21st/faster. This early in the game orders take .. no time at all. :D

King Gideon and Hirol watched as the Sudaneze Warlord begun calling to his warriors. The language is strange, but like all Nule languages it was roughly familiar. After a short speech, or what it may be, the barbarians cheered.

Behind them was the forces of Satura. There were the few score of his hunters, guards skilled in the use of the hunting javelin and sling. Then there was the Wasatian militia, led by several Priests who are calling themselves "Clerics". Although the Clerics themselves only wielded heavy, gold-headed clubs to "avoid" bloodshed and to clease the enemy, Gideon noted that most of the Militia armed themselves with the more useful shield and spear or club instead.

He turned to watch the approaching army with increasing curiosity. Hirol's hunters easily tracked down and defeated the enemy's scavangers, but this was now the main army, and he wondered how their different culture will reflect.

The brutish clubmen stood outside of Javelin-range, to the beat of a drum they begun raising their spears into the air, and giving great grunts of some sung. Calling to their gods, they begun turning in circles around their Clanic banners.

The more they danced, the more eager they are to fight, Gideon realized, and perhaps, the more excitable they are... the more frightened they can be.

While the wild dances continued, Gideon talked to Hirol the Hunter and Cyrun the Cleric about his plan. They quickly spread among his men.

The Sudanese warriors now prepared to fight, eager and pumped up. Gideon raised his golden mace into the air and shouted "For the Golden Sun!"

A massive stomp of every Saturan smashed into the ground, raising a great cloud of dust as all cried with one voice, "For the Golden Sun!"

And thus, the sun smote them, and fear came over the Sudanese, and they fled in great terror.

Satura won this fight.

Life is simple in the Chiefdom of Korea. Not that it was easy mind you, but the Chief was well aware that his problems all had simple solutions.

The tribes of men in Manchuria, he knew, were not so civilized as his own people, they did not have the spark of the Koreans. It was the Koreans who learned to skin hide, who had understood its value. It was the strong Korean people who had sent a messenger across the wilderness in search of… trading partners.

That is a complex thought, the Chief of Korea thought, and not the sort that was particularly popular outside of Seoul. To be honest, even in Seoul those sort of thoughts weren't too popular. But Chief Kim was a thinking man, and he didn't see this particular complexity as a problem, it was more like an opportunity. A way to find powerful friends who could help him beat back the tide of violent action and create a world safe for thought.

One day, he thinks, they will understand.

But not in his lifetime, the Chief knows this too well. Outside the men practice with their clubs and axes, shoot at targets with their arrows. It is a world of war, and his men are warriors.

The horns let loose a warning and the practicing soldiers all assemble at once, perfectly arranged into lines. Chief Kim can't help but respect the discipline of his men, perhaps they were soldiers and perhaps their problems were simple. But damn if they aren't good at what they do.

"Fortify!" goes the shout, and the men huddle together, take cover. The bows are pulled out again and the barbarians charge into the stone tipped arrow volleys.

Arrows are pulled from targets, more are brought in, strung, plucked, sent away. Into eyes, into scalps, knees and throats. The barbarians pull back from the city and consider their options.

But these options are few as the warriors of Korea charge out to face them more personally, clubs and axes swinging through the air.

Orders due by Friday.

-

From the Diary of Maru Pahlu, Trader of the Nule Region

-Translated here, the original wood carvings are completely incomprehensible, but if we had to guess, this is what the man was thinking-

We made our way to Zull, it was a long ride from Ur, but the reception in the Land of the Sun had not been enthusiastic. In fact, I am told by the wanderers that back in Ur there has been a massacre of some sort, fishermen and the few traders who had tried to stay in that inhospitable place are murdering each other in the streets and does the reigning Bado lift a finger for his people? Of course not. The Kings who Do Not Rule are even mocked in the most remote oases.

But enough politics. I'm sure you are trying to figure out how I am writing this, if you can read it. We traders learn many things, it is… more… than just a way of life.

For instance I met a man just the other day, he came from the distant south beyond the Saturans (a people, I must mention, I much look forward to meeting, it is said that they know much of the art of trading), but this man came from further South still, a land that they call Sudan.

But he got extremely offended when the name "Sudan" was uttered, it seems that he is some sort of exile, driven out during a violent political power shift. He was shy about the details at first, but the Beer that they are brewing here in Zull loosens many tongues.

Apparently the land in question was once known as the Queendom of Nubia, and this man had been highly placed in her administration. To hear him tell it she was the Queen of Queens, and well reputed for her generous spirit and for listening to her people.

Which became the problem, there were barbarians all about, the man did not deny that, but after the village was sacked the people took to wanton paranoia, and insisted time and time again that their Queen ignore the work of the Spice fields (her crowning achievement, in his mind) and instead invest everything in the army.

The army grew, the barbarians steered clear. All seemed settled.

Until the Warlord decided to remove the Queen's head and declared the Queendom of Nubia would be renamed to Sudan, exiling anyone who was loyal to the royal line.

These sort of stories are the priceless treasures that I pick up as a trader, not to mention the goods and trinkets. I've traded bowls and cups to bartenders, I've traded fish to desert nomads, I've traded exotic herbs to chefs and midwives. It is a simple craft, trading, you determine who has many of a thing, and who has few of a thing and you try to level the field. There's profit to be had, and oh the stories!

But in Zulappi the guards continue to eye us suspiciously. No doubt they have heard the rumors from the East as well and they don't know how to treat us. Do we bring insurrection? Are we going to try to disrupt the masons as they complete their great Wonder? Are we going to try to steal the secrets of their building prowess?

I say no, we only want to bring foreign riches to trade for the things that are common in this land, no secrets, no disruption, just mutual benefit.

And they say, "Ask the Shaman, he will know what to do with you," but the Shaman is not taking visitors. It is almost as bad as at Ur, and I do fear that we will not even be able to find refuge in Satura when the day comes for us to try.

But though it is a hard life, and I have not even mentioned the sores that come from riding a camel for hours and hours every day, I do love it. The glares and suspicion in Zull is bad, but it is such a pleasant change from the usual tedium of endless riding. I love the traders life and I shall be back out on that camel as soon as my wares are depleted or the guards decide that I am a liability.

Hirol walked infront of the procession, holding a staff in one hand and a Hippo-teeth-knife tightly in the other. They may have arrived under a sheaf of Papyrus-a sign to let words rule over the spear- but Hirol knew of many hunters who would shamelessly plug a peace-seeking chief with javelins once he got in range.

Hence his knife.

He also know that he is old. He remember when, already a Grandfather, Gideon paid him to assemble the best hunters to protect him.

Then, he was in for the money.

He could remember when he brought news of the Sudanese, and when Gideon, himself a Grandfather, told him of the way to win without bloodshed.

Then, he was in for the loyalty.

He groaned as he started up the many steps leading up the gorge. Gideon lived half-day's walk from Wasat, and instead of building a palace in the city or making his own temple he simply enlarged his own. He wasn't as strong as he used to be.

Hence the staff.

Behind him were a few guards, as wary as he. In a litter held by slaves was the Warlord of Sudan, who managed to protect the campfire of civilization alive in a sea of true barbarians. Apparently, the man wishes to talk business; he was impressed by the good show Satura put on at the "battle".

Finally, he reached the top of the gorge. He hit the golden bell, but didn't wait for the servants to open the door. He walked straight in, closing the massive doors behind him after making the signal "Wait".

He looked upon Gideon. The young man who became King was gone now, and so was the confident yet curious Leader. A shadow marked itself across the man's countenance. Under the golden crown the hair was turning from the luxuriant black into a dull grey.

"Hirol... They've come?" asked the King. Looking at the ravages of age on his lord, Hirol was reminded of his own reason to talk to his friend. "Why are they not in yet?" continued the king, slowly rolling up a payperus covered with inked pictures.

"I want to tell you something" replied the old hunter, "My great grandchildren are now in the army, and every time I see them salute to me, I am as proud as an eagle watching her eaglet's first flight; yet, I am also weary of my role." He placed both hands on his staff, "I've seen age take men stronger than I, and I know my time isn't far off. I drill men who are younger than the nodes on my fingers and toes, while my family has not seem me for as many years.

I am too old to be of service to you. I must go."

"NO!" cried the King, "You're my best advisor... You're my best friend. Satura needs... I need you!"

"It is time for you to test your true plummage" said Hirol, "I feel... so tired. Let me watch you fly, young eagle, so I can be proud of my duties here."

The King bowed his head, whether in sorrow or contemplation, it is unknown. Hirol walked to his familiar aclove for his final patrol as the massive double-doors were opened.

In walked the Warlord of Sudan.

We have heard stories of your mighty battle dances and we would be honored to fight alongside you in your future battles. We happen to have foraged many Spices from this barbaric land and we wish to learn the ways of the civilized tribes.

Gideon stood and walked to meet the Warlord, face to face. His face was well masked as he looked upon the goods from the far south.

He looked up.

Very well. I accept your offer. May our warriors face common foes together as friends of the highest order.

I propose that we trade our gold; be it in bars or in trinkets, for your spices. Let us spread our blessings to each other, and reap the benefits like civilized men.

In civilization you need four things. Citizens, Society, History and Leadership. Come, let's discuss the history of the people of the Nule, be they civilized or barbaric.

Top Bottom