Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

Update on last page.

-

I added the Domestication tech to the nonessential list. It will allow 1 mounted unit to use a tactic per turn.

We've discussed writing, it's not happening in the stone age. Math, I mean, let me think about it, but I've added all the techs I want to the bronze age tree, if you have some sort of concrete reason why you need to invest extra, some sort of bonus you want out of this then please let me know. But I'm not worried about it right now.

A Propagandist' [Cultural]

"Heave, Stone, Heave, Stone,"
Cried the low-men.
"Faster, Faster,"
Cried the Sha-men.

"As the Stones rose high,
Rose Above The Temple Mount,
So too, did Sha-men.

"As the Stones lay low,
Low below the Temple Mount,
So too, did low-man.

"As the Sha-men lie,
There amidst the Temple Mount,
So too, did men lay.

"As the Sha-men blow,
'Nere amidst the Temple Mount,
So too, did men bow.

"As the low-men cry,
Cried the Sha-men men.

"Die the low-men nigh,
Cried the Sha-men men.

A Builder's Life [Construction]

OO-uava Nava Javasson had been a player all his life. His father, and his father's father, and .. well, you get the idea. They had all been players. That is to say, they had all played The Game. They would push their rock - EVER SO FUN IT WAS, ALL HAIL THE Shaman AND THE STONES - and eat their food. He had often wondered what it would be like to just up and leave his home, and his - MOST BELOVED OF ALL GAMES ABOVE ALL OTHERS, ALL HAIL THE Shaman AND THE STONES - job.

Hah, a likely thought. One he did not want the Shaman to read.

"Be as the stones. Hard as the stones. Working the stones."

That should keep his maste - ALL POWERFUL AND MOST MERCIFUL OF ALL FRIENDS, ALLIES, MENTORS, AND SO ON, ALL HAIL THE Shaman AND THE STONES - r off his back for a while.

"Be as the stones. Hard as the stones. Working the stones. AAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHMMMMMMMmmmmmmmuuhhhh."

The lunch hour was up. He rose from his prayer mat (made of the finest wicker woven by the women in the south) and walked the short distance from the Prayer Yard.

He took his gruel and beer from the Food Quarter of the working camp. He slurped it down, as he did every day*.

Returning to work, he continued the work chant.

"Heave, Stone, Heave, Stone."

According to the Shamans, chanting this as they dragged the great stone blocks ever higher around the city of Zull would increase their strength, and the rhythm would allow for superior timing of block placement and cooperation. He had definitely noticed an increase in block placement time, though, so it wasn't just Sha - HOW KNOWLEDGABLE THE Shamans ARE IN THEIR READING OF THE Nule AND OUR Dreams, FOREVER ALL-KNOWING OF THE Zulappi People, ALL HAIL THE Shamans AND THE STONES - man hooey.

"Heave, Stone, Heave, Stone."

OO-uava lost his footing upon thinking this. Surely, a trick of his mind. He had no weight now, for he did not feel the impact of his fall. He sailed downward forever without hitting any obstacles. He saw his dear wife Trika, and his two sons Ooh-ah'Muava and Jerry flash before his eyes.

Inside the office of the Shaman, sat the Undershaman Cull. He sighed. His beer was getting warm. Again.

"Undrshaman, another Player has fallen from the wall. His name was OO..something, sir. What shall I do?"

"Fetch a replacement from the city. GO, FASTER. Run, boy."

Cull scratched his armpits. Damn day was getting hotter and hotter, and his beer and shade weren't doing enough for him. If ONLY he had a better material clothing....

*this was the healthiest way to ingest food - after an hour of prayer, gulp it down and return to work, according to the Sha - MOST KNOWLEDGABLE OF ALL THE Zulappi People AND READERS OF THE Nule River, ALL HAIL THE Shamans AND THE STONES - mans, at least.

An Engineer's Pluck [Military [Engineer]]

"Ne-fer'r-rick Jerry Javasson, Rock Engineer, reporting for duty. You want me to shift the stone? No problem, I have my handy-dandy religion ready to help me. STONE, ACTIVATE! I'm just kidding, let me get that for you."

The Undershaman Cull frowned his famous frown. Some would call it a leer. He called it his normal face.

Javasson's massively muscular frame loomed over the Undershaman. He picked up the huge boulder and placed it where the small man had indicated.

Cull had been demoted after too many deaths on his watch during the construction of the Walls of Zull. He was now the head of a backwater unit of elite Players known as Engineers, who would construct, sleep in, and subsequently deconstruct a small mobile fortress each night as they patrolled the Trade Roads.

"Thank you, Engineer. You may return to your patrol."

"Right-hoe, Captain."

Cull cringed. "That's Undershaman Cull."

"Right-hoe, Undershaman Captain Cull."

Javasson scampered off at this. Out here the Engineers could poke fun at the Undershamans if they wanted. Afterall, the Engineers were the first and last line of law-enforcement outside of Zull. Except in the contested southlands, of course. You never knew what you were getting into when you went there, anymore.

Stolen beer. Wow.

He rubbed his eyes. Pep took it out of you, alright, but his father Jerry had always taught him, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

He didn't listen to this of course. But if you said something in a nice way, you could usually get away with it.

Paruuuuhmpp, Paruuuuhmptptpttttssz.

A warning call. We're under attack.

Javasson took to a loping stride, and in a few minutes, he had returned to his garrison building. Constructed every night and taken down every morning. He knew the entire base inside and out.

Grabbing his wicker basket, he ran to the top of the fort.

"Raiders, at the south gate. Gaining on a Caravaneer!"

He could see them. He took a rock from his pouch. Captain Cull appeared behind him, and issued him an order.

"Begin bombardment!"

Javasson roared the meek little order to his fellow Engineers.

Exceptional Players, all promoted to the status of Engineer and Soldier.

Four hundred rocks took to the sky, raining down on the poor whelpish raiders. Not a one stood after that.

Which Wicker's .. Wicker [Commercial [Wicker]]

Tricka was an old lady now. She had only been a young beer wench when the Saturans attacked. They descended upon her small southern town, looting every minutiae of beer they could carry. It had such a devastating effect on the local economy, the local Beer distileries (though grand buildings they all were architecturally) all lay dormant for years.

That was, until, she and some of her she-friends had an idea.

What if we wove the dried river-reeds that barricade the old distillery door? We could sell it to northerners for more beer, which would greatly please our white anglo saxon Nulotic betrothed husbands.

What a mind for business you have, Tricka! You could move north with that mind and marry yourself a rich Player, of the kind they talk of in the town.

Ohh girls you shouldn't talk on me like that. You know I'll always be an old maid, with my dreadful long golden european hair and blue eyes Saturan features.

What a fool she had been then. She married (and was subsequently widowed by, the bastarrd) a handsome young Player named OO-uava, and had two wonderful sons named Ne..-fer'ar-..-eere-ick..?.. and Jerry, both of whom were now full on Engineers and both of whom she was very proud of.

She had taken up a life making Wicker Baskets which she traded locally for Beer, which was recently running short. She did have nice new clothes, though.

OOC: For the record, these were all HILARIOUS when I wrote them at 2 AM. And it seemed like a good idea to post them all at once, 5 posts in a row.

It is true, I do not care. If anything the double posting method is more workable just to break up the stories.

Sainty? Saintly? Sanity? That one is tripping me out.

I mean, there are ways for him to parlay the bonuses into some sort of advantage, but it's not an autowin button that's why the story rules are the way they are. And like Blaze said, you have plenty of time to try to catch up on his stories and cut what edge he might have away.

If people have their orders in and have accomplished what they wanted to this turn by Friday then I'll update. I did leave a little extra time.

But if you want to go early we can go early.

Hey,

To: King Dor II of Panaraa

We will happily send workers & 1 EP to help. With our trade of Dragon Smoked Fish you should have the funds to complete repairs to your city.

To: Merchant Chief Hu Jue of the Caravan of Exotic Wonders

You may have safe passage on the roads of the Heavenly Kingdom. You will be considered Children of the Dragon within our borders. All laws will be followed.

I only require that you will take with you a small number of "Scholars & Adventurers" with you on your journeys beyond our borders. Then a visit to Junjan every 5 years to tell the tales of your journeys.

Blaze Injun

The "Scholars & Adventurers" are meant to be fluff & not for any bonus. The 5 years thing is also for story ideas.

Hey,

The Black Tea Circle (commerical/ trade good)

Old King Longwei sat on the floor at the head of the small beautiful carved table. To his right sat Merchant Chief Hu Jue of the Caravan of Exotic Wonders. On his left sat the elderly Mistress Soo, Head of the 5 Fishing Clans. Standing before him was a group of villages. They were a mixed bunch. Ranging from a dirty youth without shoes to a finely robed member of the Fishing Clans. From a armed warrior to a well aged grandmother carried here by a roughly made palanquin.

"I have thought of your idea much since it was brought to my attention by Mistress Soo." He raised his chin alittle to give notice to his elder. He was still King but respect must be given to his elder. Expecially one as clever and crafty. She was always looking to increase the Fishing Clans power and wealth.

Low moans came from the villagers. They had been so careful. Candlestine meetings, never in the same place twice. Secret handsigns & coded messeges. Every piece of the puzzle was planned to perfection. But the Fishing Clan spies had found out.

"I have also talked with the great Hu Jue on this matter." The King smiled & clapped the man on his shoulder. Hu Jue had come as leader of merchants that only wanted to have safe passage through the Heavenly Kingdom. But the King had taken a liking to him. And Hu Jue had to admit that he liked the strange King and his people.

"Who is your leader?" King Longwei stood & walked around the small table to stand infront of the mixed group. "Come please." He held out his arms. "No harm will be done."

"I am the plan maker my King." The villagers backed up leaving the old woman on the palaquin at thier center. The dirty youth moved to kneel beside her.

"You are the great Xue Niu!" The King said startled by the haggered dirty old woman. "What has become of you?" He motioned for his retainers to bring food and drink to Xue Niu. He personally collected warm water and knelt beside her. He took her hands & washed them.

At this Mistress Soo let out a horrified scream that could be heard it seemed for miles across the lake. The washing of another persons hands was the greatest sign of respect and honor that one person could give to another. And the King was doing this to an old woman. She slammed her boney fists down on the table. With the help of her own retainers she stood. "I'll take my leave."

A shocked Hu Jue looked from the King, who had stood to face Mistress Soo, and the richly dressed Clans leader. The villagers had moved to get out but were blocked by the King's Dargon Guard.

"You will not leave until you hear my ruling." Old King Longwei moved closer to Mistress Soo. "With the help of Hu Jue." He held a hand out toward the merchant. "I have decided to grant Xue Niu and her group." The King held a hand out to the villagers. "Which I here name The Black Tea Circle, all rights to any and all dealings with the Heavenly Kingdoms tea."

Mistress Soo had a look of true evil. Like some nomad demon from the old bedtime stories. But her face became kindly as she held her hatred back. "As you wish my King."

KLXNc1

Krunner stretched out in the sunlight and sighed, enjoying the shine of the Aktan [1] in the few dawn hours before it starts burning. Funny, how the Caravans, sooo eager for their help in defending them, refused. Maybe there were too many of them? Whatever, if they want to be raided by Nubians they can be raided by Nubians, he knows that his Saturans would never raid Caravaneers; they remind them too much of themselves.

He chortled a bit. Those uptight Zulappi! Why did Pharon ever imagine that he can deal, let alone trade with them, with anything other than force? That is all they know, the force of will, and the force of death. They are so uptight that he wouldn't want to poke them with a 10-foot long pole- they'll probably combust with fury that their bodies were contaminated by such a non-stone-like thing-a-majigy.

Of course, Pharon seems much more capable then he realized after he nearly died of drinking too much. The poor Cleric of Aktan downed nearly three barrels of beer before found face down in the fourth after he went home from the negotiations.

He sat up and stretched. No beer for him, or anyone in the Rangers. They must stay alert, wary, yes. Maybe half gets some the morning of a festival and half the evening, but those who don't drink must stay dry. Yawning, he pulled himself from the Prison of Aset and walked out of his hut.

There, he surveyed the small Ranger Camp. Fleet-footed rangers ran about silently in their flat-toed shoes, barely raising any dust and hard to see in their dusty hare-hide armor. Small groups of Patrols are returning form their nightly-watch on the border-Nubian bandits are taken care off, except those who attack the Caravaneers... whenever they save those punks the snarky merchants would run as if they were another band of bandits. Small huts hang over shallow pits where his men sleep lighty and where they have some cover from Akten's righteous fury under Aset's hide.

He goes to the Kitchen where the cook was cooking chow. Hunters ranged far and wide to catch and prepare a variety of game, while the skilled cook seasoned them over a smokeless fire. A whiff of the roasted meat, still tender inside, still caused him to wonder of the miracle of the highland herbs. Found in the deserts beside oasis, they seem to have concentrated the fury of Akten into their seeds and leaves, bursting with flavor and burning the tongue when eaten raw, while burning Aset's rot from even uncooked meat, while tenderizing meat which were cooked. Such seasoning had let them store much seasoned and smoked meat in case of visitors, or if their hunters have failed.

He took a leg of a hare, and gave an appreciative prayer. With the spirit of Dastes' spawn, he will run fast indeed to catch a wagon-full of reed mats going between two southern villages.

Hopefully he can get something soft between his achy back as Aset's cruel hide, and something shady between his achy sunburns and Akten's cruel light.

Time to dig in.

[1] The Golden Sun, boneheads. Now get back to work!

do not

compare the zulappi

with miko

words hurt

To: King Longwei of the Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon

We count you as friends, and thank you for your help. We shall place a statue of a Dragon in front of the Temple when the repairs are finished to symbolize the friendship of our people. You may count the chariots of Panaraa among your allies should war beset you.

To:King Longwei of the Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon
From: Merchant Chief Hu Jue of the Caravan of Exotic Wonders

We agree to take on any men of your Kingdom who wish to learn the merchant trade and also to allow your adventurers to come with us. I am hesitant on your other request, 5 years seems like an awfully long time. Our horses are strong, and we make good time thanks to our wily trackers. We have heard rumors of a jeweled kingdom and we wish to find this place, but rest assured, we will return as soon as we can, with exotic goods that will make us all rich.

To: Satura

We urge you to find a diplomatic solution.

To: Satura

You would threaten us to give us your gold? What a pathetic, barbaric people. No wonder you're the laughingstock of the area. Fine, send your yellow stones this way, and we will allow you some of our beer, you pathetic, vile, shriveled worms

Hey,

Old Mistress Soo of the Mie River. (construction/ Soo River Harbor wonder)

"This is the place. Quickly." The dying Mistress Soo, Head of the 5 Fishing Clans, said motioning for her 6 retainers to set the large palanquin down beside the great Mie River. "Yes right here.

The wide slow moving Mie River lay fifty miles north of the capital of Junjan and fed the Lake of the Heavenly Dragon. The Heavenly Kingdom had for generations used it as a means of trade with Panaraa, which was upstream to the west. Downstream word had it was the The Jeweled Kingdom of Shang.

"I am honored that you have agreed to this meeting." She pulled herself up to get a better look at the four leaders of the other Fishing clans as they moved to surround her. "Losing to that mongrel Xue Niu will not stop us. Trade will have to be done by those that have the boats. Us the Fishing Clans."

"Here at this most beautiful spot. She spread her arms wide presenting the whole of the area. "We will build a great river harbor."

"And how do we pay for this great harbor, Mistress Soo?" Questioned the young clan leader, Mistress Huifang.

"I am coming to that very soon." Mistress Soo pushed away her retainers as she stood. She moved to the riverbank and turned to face the powerful group. "The Soo Fishing Clan is at its end with me. In exchange for the great harbor being named after me. I have spent all my wealth for the starting of this endeavor." Her face brightened as the sounds of a work crew could be heard in the distance. "I have divided all my holdings between you four." Mistress Soo turned and walked into the river and was gone.

OOC
Spoiler :
6. Raft Clans Harbor (Wonder) 5 EP, -1 to Galley cost. +1 EP to Economy.

Top Bottom