Blood and Iron

Rehost on some European server, please :) USA's goin' down the drain anyway, so better use other hosts ;)

^^ I don't think it's finished.

I really hope someone finally makes a working scenario with events for this. I posted a lot of research info in this thread. It would be terrible to see such great work from on the mod go to waste! :(

Snafu, when I discovered that Blood and Iron existed last night I can't tell you how excited and thrilled I was. I am a student of military history, and the anglo-german naval race of 1890-1914 is my absolute favorite period. In fact I have a completed board-game that I designed about 15 years ago covering this exact period, in which the players design and construct their own warships, but I was convinced by a developer it would never sell more than 500 units. So when I confirmed that your MOD had pre-dreadnaughts I was ecstatic. Even if it was done with much more basic combat detail than I would prefer, at last there was a "naval building game" for my favorite period.

However, when I downloaded and placed it in the MOD folder, it starts to load the Blood and Iron and then at some point when it is initializing- and just as the first chord of music plays- it stops and crashes. Do you have any advice on how I might fix this? I'd be delighted if you- or anyone else- could assist me. -And I checked (regarding post 90 above), and Blood and Iron appears in the MODS folder correctly, and the sub folders and ini's are correctly present in the Blood and Iron folder.

Once again, thank you for addressing this period of history, and I very much hope I can soon start to enjoy the game.

Garrison

It is a huge shame that the actual 1914 scenario does not work for this mod. Everything in the mod itself is ALMOST done [pissed], it even creates nice WW1 atmosphere with customised mouse click sound and grayish colors for terrain. How is it possible to pay so much attention to the slightest details and not having a single working scenario? :sad:

Ah, I was worried the BIEurope1914 scenario only didn't work for me (CTD). (Why put it into the pack, then?) Do the others work?
Also, Franz Joseph's default name is Luke :D

I made a scenario for Europe taking place in Spring 1914. There are a few tweaks and additions, mainly there are no events because I can't code much and the costs for technologies don't make sense. :sad:

Attachments

• Blood and Iron Spring 1914.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    2 MB · Views: 188
I made this scenario, taking place in Spring 1914. There are some things missing, mainly there are no events because I don't know how to code and the cost for technologies don't make sense. :sad:

Thanks for your work, noblemperor! :)

The techs cost don't make sense but at least there is a workable scenario! (without the tech advancement working properly)

I made a scenario for Europe taking place in Spring 1914. There are a few tweaks and additions, mainly there are no events because I can't code much and the costs for technologies don't make sense. :sad:

Good job, I can tell you worked hard at it.

Ok I hope this information helps on how to improve the scenario. First of all, I think the scenario should be historical as much as possible. What-if's can be done later perhaps but all of the information below is presented with a goal to improve historical accuracy.

Army Sizes/Deployment at Outbreak of War:
Here is a link for a chart outlining army sizes for each individual faction at the outbreak of war (August 1914) as well as a summary chart for Allies and Axis as a whole. A group of 50 000 soldiers (all foot soldiers, cavalry, and artillery) in real life is represented by a single unit in tha game. A group of 10 aircraft is a single unit and each ship is a single unit. If you find that the number of ships is too large (see Britain with 200 destroyers), divide the number of all ships by 5.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4TMOEHYN

Army/Air Corps Deployment (all unit classes)
Britain - 80% on the British Isles, 10% each in France and Egypt
France - 90% on the Western Front, rest in other cities and North Africa
Russia - 60% facing Germany, 30% facing A-H, 10% in the Caucasus
Serbia - Virtually all on A-H border
Belgium - virtually all facing Germany
Germany - 70% on Western Front, 30% on Eastern Front (including all Cavalry)
A-H - 80% facing Russia, 20% facing Serbia

Naval Deployment
Britain - 90% in the North Sea
France - 60% in the Bay of Biscay, 40% in the Mediterranean (Anglo-French Naval Agreement in 1912 assigned the British to defend the North Sea/North Atlantic and France the Bay of Biscay, the Suez, and the Mediterranean)
Russia - 70% in/around Petrograd, 30% in the Black Sea
Germany - all in Kiel/Hamburg
AH - all in Trieste

Spoiler :
Industrialization Level

Industrialization determines the ability of a nation of build complex machinery (tanks, heavy artillery, RR artillery, aircraft, and naval units except Torpedo Boat)

Tier 1 - Germany
Tier 2 - Britain
Tier 3 - France
Tier 4 - Italy, A-H
Tier 5 - Russia, Ottoman Empire
Tier 6 - Minor Nations (unable to build mechanized units, heavy artillery, RR artillery)

Mobilization After Start of War

Mobilization determines the ability of a country to produce Infantry units.

Tier 1 - Britain (large empire to draw units from)
Tier 2 - Ottoman Empire (had not mobilized before joining the war in October)
Tier 3 - all other nations

Railway Links

The density of rail network varied widely between the nations in WWI and had huge impact on the ability of nations to bring newly trained troops to the front.

Tier 1 - Germany (extremely developed rail network; virtually every tile)
Tier 2 - Britain (strong railway connection on the British Isles)
Tier 3 - France, Italy (all cities connected by rail)
Tier 4 - A-H (rail from Vienna to Budapest and Prague)
Tier 5 - Russia (only rail link from Petrograd to Moscow and further East to Siberia); Ottoman Empire (only link between Istanbul and Ankara)
Tier 6 - all other nations (no railways)

Technology

It is difficult to balance out technology until careful play-testing but it is clear that technology costs are currently too low. Increase all tech costs 10 fold (750 beakers instead of 75). 3-5 turns/tech for major powers and 15-20 for minors is reasonable to start with given that the war is 200 turns and there are a lot of techs.

Diplomatic Picture
The war should start with Britain/France/Russia/Belgium/Serbia vs. Germany/A-H. Since other nations come into the war, it is most simple to have all Allies in a perm alliance with each other and same with Axis. I realize this is not fully historically accurate. Italy declare war on A-H much before Germany and US on Germany before A-H and never on Ottomans but it really doesn't make much of a difference. Italy fought mostly with A-H and US mostly with Germany regardless.

War/Peace status should be locked and neutral nations should be unable to declare war or be declared upon although they should be able to sign OB agreements, trade resources and techs etc.

Events

Once again a list of events:

Spoiler :

4 August 1914 – War Starts (France/Britain/Russia/Serbia/Montenegro/Belgium vs. Germany/Austria-Hungary)
13 August 1914 – Japan joins Allies (not relevant for Europe scenario)
5 Nov 1914 – Ottoman Empire joins Axis
25 Dec 1914 - German and Allied soldiers in the West embrace each other
23 May 1915 – Italy joins Allies
15 October 1915 – Bulgaria joins Axis
19 March, 1916 – Portugal joins Allies
27 August 1916 – Romania joins Allies
10 March 1917 – Russian Revolution in full swing; Russia loses production/combat capabilities
6 April 1917 – US joins Allies
2 July 1917 – Greece joins Allies
3 March 1918 – Russia makes peace with the Axis

United States

I have 2 ideas how to handle US in the war since they are not included on the map. I think the best option would be to spawn US land/air units in France every few turns. To avoid them losing the game if they capture and then lose a city, give them an unreachable city somewhere on the map surrounded by peaks.

Russian Revolution

Starting from 1917, Russia could experience city revolts, spawning of barbarian units (revolutionaries), loss of production etc that cripple the country's war effort. In March 1918 it should make peace with Axis (Treaty of Brest-Litovsk) and cede vast territories to Imperial Germany.

Victory Conditions

Either a score victory (for each alliances) or conquest (takes too long). Domination, Culture, Space etc should be disabled. Anyways this is the last thing to be figured out.

dankok8, would you still have the "chart outlining army sizes for each individual faction at the outbreak of war"? The link is broken (Megaupload).

It would be for my adaptation of Jon Shafer's scenario on WWI: thread.

Thank you!

I made the scenario to match historical accuracy to the best of my ability. All of the ground troops represented are equal to 1 division each, all of the naval vessels are 1 ship apiece except for smaller boats such as torpedo boats, which I made one unit represent 3 or 5 (I don't remember) because some nations had hundreds of them and logistically it would be a mess. The scenario is Spring 1914, there are no mobilization of troops by anyone. The British expeditionary force did not arrive in France till after the war started and almost no one had and air units. At the time, the United States had a whopping 3 divisions, but were spread out across the nation; For placement purposes, I used the headquarters for the 3 div: NY and 2 in Tx. Britain and other nations did not have a gigantic military, so nations did not have "200" destroyers.

I tried to the best of my research to have an accurate number and placement of troops on the map by all nations. Some nations documented such things very well, others not so much... :crazyeye: City demographics attempt to reflect historical accuracy as well.

Thanks, good job, I'll have a closer look. :scan:

Top Bottom