EltNES: THIS World is Yours

TerrisH: At first I was like .. wait, are the Mooks human? Wut? Then I realized, duh, human wave tactics.

Anyway, if you want to 'add more' humans, you have to build their towns. Same if your barbaric species have towns - however, I (being the ethnocentric that I am) want humans to spread easier, so there is an added charge to spread barbaric species farther than their initial area.

If, however, the species as a whole migrates (could leave a tiny population here and there where they started from), well then that is cheaper!

It is the full cost of creating a new one, yes.

the building towns might work.. except they don't really have towns. easy communication range of miles, being the size of small houses. having to keep on the move so not to overgraze an area.

paying the town cost for a dedicated grazing section? similar population range to town, but covers a much larger area? or not. might have to pay the full cost anyway for one element later.

anyway, plan if for the area to have a VERY heavy human population, with them intertwined into the rural areas, serving as day-labors and long-thinking wisemen/historians. mostly as a background element for the area. which works even if their limited to the central Vally area.
hmm.. possibly follow the human towns for the easy work (in exchange for the humans tasty hay)?

eh, all future plans for me to think on.

22 points: Boundless

4 Points: City (18)
12 Points: 8 Towns (6)
4 Points: Capture Settlement (2)
BANK 2

The Water Birds expand greatly in this era. A hub form on the Pearl Isles (so named for the abundant oysters on the coastal bay where settlers first arrived). From this settlements pinwheel out on other coastal areas to supply the hub and each other. the Slave trade has become a great boon with an Issiths village captures and turned into a holding station for Issiths slaves which are then shipped out elsewhere.

They even settle into the islands shared by Uneguk, though nothing more than sightings as yet. The abundant fish is why they have settled here.

I will try to come up with town names, but it isn't likely...

TerrisH: Hmm, have you his His Dark Materials? Iorek ..Byrnieson? was a work-horse after the humans took his sky-armor. I'd love to see that situation happen with the Montholins; also, the humans treating them as revered historians or wise court advisors has a really awesome ring to it. That will not happen with all Montholin, but that is cool.

Anyway, I never intended that you should actually build towns for the Montholin, no. I was just rambling. I know they are very nomadic for very good reasons (tool users - can they be farmers? It'd require a lot, probably not...) If you actually -did- want them, though, you'd have to convince me to let you set up that sort of grazing spot.

Boundless: Bah, non-namer. I'll name them all then. They're gonna be silly. I like the concept though - they are explorers by nature I assume? If you could sort of outline how they might've come to conquering an Issith town, though - is it heavily guarded by a large army, all the time? Otherwise, why wouldn't the presumably weak governor or what have you and his bodyguard be eaten?

One last thing: I refer you to the rules, specifically:
THIS world is yours ...
4 points - Invasion (prerequisite of all military actions sans raid. must be purchased each turn that the war continues. the defender may purchase 1 military action without paying for 'Invasion', however if more than one is purchased it requires 'Invasion' to be purchased.)

You can't capture it without paying for the invasion as well. War is costly business.

Edit: Generally, I do not accept maps, however in this case it is acceptable. Mod's dictatorial whim.

ALL: A change is being made to the rules:

1 point - Raid (transfers 1d4 points from the target to the raider). Max 2 per turn.

is changed to...

1 point - Raid (transfers 0-2 points from the target to the raider. The earned points (if 2) must be spent on the faction which conducted the raid. If you have Rome raid Parthia, Rome gets the spoils.) Max 2 per turn.

1.5 Points Town (F3), Yuntisze - As the authority of the League expanded, and the social stratification and division of its patrician plutocracy in the city-states diminished, the borders of the city of Suruzuk expanded to a point that communities of farming villages and hamlets developed around Suruzuk as suburbs to the city proper. The foremost of these was Yuntisze, which quickly developed into an independently-wealthy, if smaller town that fell under the jurisdiction of the Suruzine magistrates. This effect was mimicked throughout the Umiritsine Isles.

1.5 Points Town (G1), Erisine - Similarly, the separate town of Erisine developed around Laosiwus as a farming community specialized in the grains and rice that were plenteous outside the city walls of Laosiwus. As in Yuntisze, jurisdiction over this new community fell to the patrician magistrates of Laosiwus. However, the grain produced by both Laosiwus itself and Erisine was considered of primary importance throughout the League both at home and abroad, and the effectively ruling magistrates of Suruzuk would in time come to achieve influence over Erisine that outweighed the de jure leadership of the Laosiwus magistrates, much to the latter's annoyance.

1.5 Points Town (E4), Zhangurin - In the timeframe of (this turn) the Umiritsine began to develop more efficient seafaring methods, particularly in terms of charting courses, navigating the high seas, and preserving food for such longer voyages. Umiritsine merchants and explorers then established in the isles off the coast of the mainland the town of Zhangurin, which became a forward base of sorts for Umiritsine exploitation of the mainland's western coast.

5 Points (E4), Subdue Barbarians - Under the command of the League, the Umiritsine began to war actively against the Aordras. Working of alliances of convenience, and shrewd diplomacy on the part of the Umiritsine, succeeded in bringing some of the Aordras to heel or even in allegiance to the League.

6.5 Points - BANK

Lord of Elves: You mentioned this to me but I am saying it here for everyone's benefit. You can't end your turn with a fraction, so you decided I should just lop it off.

What is a name for a potential Aodran town, plox.

That's .. a name.

I don't like english words mushed together for non-english towns, generally. Unless you just like the sound and feel of the word, or it means something different, in which case I might let it pass.

Boundless: Bah, non-namer. I'll name them all then. They're gonna be silly. I like the concept though - they are explorers by nature I assume? If you could sort of outline how they might've come to conquering an Issith town, though - is it heavily guarded by a large army, all the time? Otherwise, why wouldn't the presumably weak governor or what have you and his bodyguard be eaten?

Eugh, just scrap that idea then. Bank the funds. Leave it as an Issith town for now. They are very much water based, spending most of their life at sea. Water gypsies/slavers/trademen/fisherfolk etc. Because of this a vey scattered nation. In a few locations they have settled for the obvious needs supplied only by land.

I wanted them to begin enslaving the Issith and capturing that town was just the start, that would be a hub for evil Issith to sell their own kind to the Water Birds akin to our slave trade IRL.

As for how, I was imagining the towns to only have a hundred or so Issith.. so a raiding party would have been enough to capture it, threaten the queen and you have strong bargaining power. In exchange for not killing the queen they "sign a pact with the devil" and agree to supply the waterbirds with Issith from elsewhere for export.

That's .. a name.

I don't like english words mushed together for non-english towns, generally. Unless you just like the sound and feel of the word, or it means something different, in which case I might let it pass.

I actually thought of it as random sounds put together. I really have no opinion regarding names for the Aordras; whatever evokes the image you have of them.

Update II:IV or Update 15​

Link to ze map
Spoiler :

D8 - West of the Krutargga migrate what are consiered perhaps the dumb half-cousins of the Krutarg proper. Unable or unwilling to comprehend language other than their own, hyper-aggressive and eating the metal tips of the local Irilenic spears, they have gone on a rampage throughout the countryside and are considered monsters by the local human population, moreso than the normal Krutarg. They have earned the moniker of Ogre.

E6-F8 - Something stirring in the mountains has riled the tribes up. The Gurks in the east have sent raiding parties to Veskopes and even dare to raid Nolkis-na-Taren, the Issith trading post. Meanwhile, botched negociations between the Eddarian chiefs and the Obayonid city of Mayal has led to the raiding of the farming villages and outlying towns, north of Fort Urdine. [3 points transferred from Eltain>TerrisH]

Umiritsine Isles - The Umiritsine League meets with heavy agricultural expansion during this era, as well as the expansion eastwards, onto the isle of Zhangura. From here, they launched a series of attacks on the Aodaran people in Aodras, using lewd diplomatic tricks to pit several small factions against eachother, and eventually leading to the settling of a new town calle Begethzar.

G3-I7 - The Lavran people saw an era of expansion at this point; it is said that they only make landfall where they must to trade for supplies and get fresh water. While this is not necessarily completely true, it is a very well earned stereotype. Much of the Lavrans food is gathered from the sea. Trading for luxuries at one port and using them to gather a years' worth of supplies at another distant one also made life very easy for many ship-owning Lavrans; this fueled the expansion of the Lavran people, especially at Pearl Isle in the great central ocean, where it is said the oysters and urchins lined the coast with food and treasure.

H8 - The Mook tribe was made up of nominally peaceful farmers and - however with the arrival of the Lavran people in their bird-like ships from beyond the Great Waters and their superior military, that had changed. Night raids composed of wall after wall of warriors, attacking then retreating, followed by a fresh rank, did fall upon the Lavran town of Ilon.

H10-I11 - The Horkin tribe has become quite the local power; headed by a strong-willed chief, its fishing fleets have dominated local food industry, while trading the excess for crops and dyes from tiny farming villages up the Toba river.

Spoiler OOC :
Mod's Choice:

+4 Abaddon (Even though he didn't name -anything-.)
+4 merciary
-2 No one!
-2 No one!

Totals: (Includes the above additions.)

25 points: nutranurse (no orders 1)
22 points: TerrisH
21 points: Boundless
18 points: Gem Hound
17 points: General Olaf
15 points: merciary
13 points: Lord of Elves
4 points: Terrance888 (no orders 1)
17 points: Eltain

OOCs

Lord of Elves: I hope you don't mind, I combined your name with Terrance's advice. I can change it if you want.

All: From now on, two standard messeges I give each turn, which are basically rules:

1: If you do not name settlement you place within a turn of placing them, I either A: give the priviledge of doing so away to someone I think appropriate, or B: name them myself.

2: To encourage selfless world-building, each time you add to an area that is not considered (by me) to be 'yours', you get +1 point. You can add to elsewhere at the same time as adding to 'yours', and you will still get the point. This also to discourage some people who have added to their own area far too much for my own liking.

Next update Saturday

Late cause I am el busy. I doubt anyone noticed it was late, though :0 I barely did.

I think I am going to cause some trouble this turn ... or should I save up for something better?

.. hmm, was about to do a master stroke.. but must keep my word and spned what I need elsewhere. one more turn..

3: One Eddarian town on the coast of F6, One Eddarian Town created directly on top of the wheat in E6.
1: Eddarian Raid Mayal again.
1: Eddarian raid against Keoni
the Eddarians have gone rouge. they have seen the profit of raiding those weaker then themselves, and will continue untill they are soundly defeated. (likely keep up the raids untill, I hit a double 0. symbolizing a defeat)

5: add a capitol in C5. inside the curve of the river comming out of the lake. this is Glorifa, City of hotsprings, a local and rising power. Built around a small cluster of hotsprings, it;s people reagularly take warm baths, and some of the richer members even have priviate springs to heat their homes in the winter.

12: bank

Gem Hound: Okay. Then again 18 isn't a small number. What are you planning?

Terrance: Danas-te-Rah, yes? Also, you only have 4 points to spend. It requires 4 to upgrade to a city and 2 to build a fort. Where would the fort be, exactly? I'm guessing the lake with the Gurks and whatnot.

TerrisH: Hotsprings, eh? I do not recall those ever being mentioned in the world creation phase.. :0 Anyway, all of these huge settlements will lead to starvation in the game proper, unless you place some farming villages. Just saying.

Could you name the Eddarian towns, plox.

17 points:

2 points: Carachie launches a massive raid against Torith. Agricultural competition and whatnot.

15 points: Bank. Shakefist I am trying to save up. Ohhhh... next turn is turn V. I get 20. Huzzah!

Gem Hound: Okay. Then again 18 isn't a small number. What are you planning?
Evil stuff. :devil: As well as finishing up my area in one fell swoop. Need at least 25 points to do that I think. If that's more then I need, I will stir things up in the the Cradle.

Top Bottom