TSG32 After Action Report

I think it may be because of the water gap. You can settle a city within the 4 hexes if there is a water gap, the game doesn't seem to count water tiles very well?

Civ5 GOTM 32
Alski
Game status:Diplomacy Victory
Game date:1898AD
Turns played:319
Base score:1061
Final score:1684
Time played:
3:38:00

Fun again - My second submission :)

I would never normally play that way... so I guess it was really good to realise how good city states can be... the food boost really helped me get the city size up :)

in this case leif we were discussing the "get off my border" message. and yeah it probably does mean units in actual sight - good call Ren

(as for settling cities -- I think we decided in game 30 that it doesn't bother to count if they are not on the same 'continent')

/ good game alski. One of these days I'll finish a game before 1900 :sigh:

in this case leif we were discussing the "get off my border" message. and yeah it probably does mean units in actual sight - good call Ren

(as for settling cities -- I think we decided in game 30 that it doesn't bother to count if they are not on the same 'continent')
I was trying to figure out if the game counts units if they are not on the same continent may be a similar mechanic to not counting for cities either. In other words, the AI sees the units across the water gap and counts them as being "on the border" because it doesn't recognize that there is space between the borders due to the water. :dunno:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 32
Your name: misterjoshua
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1972AD
Turns played: 392
Base score: 934
Final score: 1197
Time played: 16:15:00
Submitted save: misterjoshuaGotM32Diplowin.Civ5Save
Renamed file: misterjoshua_C503201.Civ5Save

My game went badly, and I almost didn't win. It ultimately failed in 3 key areas

1) The Porcelain Tower - I built the Hagia Sophia, and really wanted to grab a GS, but went for the engineer instead and rush built the PT in 1 turn, only I missed out on it. This was infuriating, as on top of the PT awesomeness I was relying on the free GS to bulb my next key tech. (Can't remember what it was now, but it hurt at the time)

2) The starting island lacked key resources - Iron and Oil. This really hurt too. It was compounded by my tactics. I decided (probably wrongly, through inexperience) that rather than expand quickly I'd go Tradition, build a tall capital and then take out Asika's cities when he inevitably attacked me. Not getting iron when it was expected really hurt and caused my expansion to slow a great deal. I did eventually defeat him and take the island, but it was loads later than expected. Similarly, I found the lack of oil bad when I was in a war with China later in the game. I was waiting to build battleships and found I couldn't.

3) Barbary Corsairs - This one is mostly my fault, but I still feel the game is somewhat to blame. I didn't know how the Ottoman UA worked as it is not described well at all in game. I attacked barbs for years without ever converting any. Only after there were no barbs left on the map did I eventually discover how it works after reading it on here. This annoyed me. I should have read up on it beforehand, but the game description is woeful also. This really hurt early sea domination which I'm guessing this game was set up for.

Finally, and this one is definitely my fault, I didn't build the UN. Arabia beat me to it, and they have a dozen or so CS allies. This let to a frantic 10 turn push where I liberated a CS, conquered one to please 2 others (giving me a 3CS swing) and bought off 4 others for the win.

Still. Glad it's over and I can chalk up a second GotM win (I only started on TSG30) :)

not a special game.

Date submitted: 2012-04-01
Reference number: 25994
Your name: subber
Game date: 1935AD
Turns played: 355
Base score: 1132
Final score: 1594
Time played: 3:40:00
Submitted save: Süleyman I._0355 - 1935 n. Chr..Civ5Save
Renamed file: subber_C503201.Civ5Save

started off with no ruins at first, songhai got most of them. built a 2nd city to the east below the mountain, a good place to defend. songhai dowed me and I had to defend - with just one trireme and one archer. went well for a time but then he took the city. bad, because this set me back a lot. when i re-captured the city everything I built in there was gone, and pop was down to 1. I then took Goa, leaving him with 1 city.
It was a good choice to settle the islands west and north, bringing powerful cities in the end.
mid game had some money problems, but basically all the other nations had a lot of cash for deals, did not really have a problem. I think except mine in the beginning there were no wars at any point in time - seems AI doesnt want to cross water in king-difficulty.
last 200 turns were a mere clickfest :)
however, I am not sure what to do to bring this down to less than 300 turns - I know I am weak in mid-game, I still need to find respective inspiration in the forum!

cheers

Attachments

• civ.jpg
    civ.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 84
Date submitted: 2012-04-03
Reference number: 26021
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1856AD
Turns played: 298
Base score: 1188
Final score: 2013
Time played: 6:21:00
Submitted save: TSG32_Diplomatic_Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C503201.Civ5Save

I had a few wars, only one of which I declared. I didn't build a lot of military, but did get several free galleys. By the end I only had I think 4 destroyers, 3 stealth bombers and 1 modern armor. The 4 or 5 units I upgraded to mech infantry all got killed near Moscow, 2 of them in the water.

I completed Liberty, Patronage and Rationalism in that order. I only completed 4 or 5 late RAs.

Looking over the thread it looks like I'm currently in 14th place :(

t283

wanted to create a large capital to rush build the un with ge from liberty finisher, but came 1 policy short. changed plans and builded a lot of hammer buildings and finished un in 11 turns.

didnt have a single ally all game long. allied 13 citystates on turn before voting.

Date submitted: 2012-04-14
Reference number: 26081
Your name: sebtanic
Your email: Moderator Action: email address removed for security of personal data.
Game date: 1958AD
Turns played: 378
Base score: 1034
Final score: 1378
Time played: 11:56:00
Submitted save: Suleiman_0378 AD-1958.Civ5Save
Renamed file: sebtanic_C503201.Civ5Save

Took me a while to conquer the starting island. Then settled another city on the northern island, and later captured the western island from Russia (had 2 cities, and I settled another one). My first diplo win in Civ5 :)

Thi game crashed on me 5 times so I gave up. Black screen during diplomacy that stays black.

Did they patch the game since this one was made? I probably got autoupdated. Never had a crash before. But this game had many.:(

Hi kcd_swede,

I had this problem too after upgrading to a GTX570 video card. The only fix I was able to find was to turn the diplomacy graphics down to low. This turns off all animations in diplomacy, but the game will stop crashing. Hopefully they'll have addressed whatever hardware/software/driver conflict is causing this when they release Gods & Kings next month.

Hi kcd_swede,

I had this problem too after upgrading to a GTX570 video card. The only fix I was able to find was to turn the diplomacy graphics down to low. This turns off all animations in diplomacy, but the game will stop crashing. Hopefully they'll have addressed whatever hardware/software/driver conflict is causing this when they release Gods & Kings next month.

Thanks for the tip. :goodjob:

Well, I got my taxes done on time, even if I didn't quite conquer the world in time. I'll just have to skip the hard game this month.

No major catastrophes, just slow. Over-invested in the economy, under-invested in science and population. Probably settled too many cities.

Top Bottom