TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

OOC: If you recall Terrance, Egypt once slaughtered the population of Cyprus, and brought Egyptian settlers instead. Later Egypt collapsed and the area went under Phoenician influence, but it never said the Egyptians got slaughtered as well. They are probably there still.
Also - The Egyptian Pirates were once feared all over the Eastern Sea during Egypt's worse hours... Some of their population might still exist out there.

as for IC

to Nubia:
It would seem your kingdom remains kingless. I call forth the council of the elders of Nubia to handle the situation, and name the God-king of Egypt the official heir to the throne. In return I will supply Nubia with the resources needed for rebuilding and defense.

to Kush:
It did not have to come to this. The God-king expects 5,000,000 grains (5 economy points) economy points from Kush as payment for the destruction caused to Nubia, and I expect that every Jubilee of the Egyptian Empire (every turn) you will pay the sum of 2,000,000 grains (2 economy points) as tribute to the his might. In return Egyptian armies will not rip your country a new hole.

@ Gemhound- Luck of the draw/memory. Very very sorry.

Also, it was very very long and I am very sorry to say, I only just recently (i.e. after the update) did I read teh entire thing and enjoyed its subtleties.

AT ALL: I MAKE LOADS OF MISTAKES.

Please reveal them in public, so that all may know of my ineptitude and search ever harder for their own checks.
Could I maybe get something in compensation for writing such a long story that didn't really get counted? hint hint ;)
Something like increased culture or increased religious influence.

From Nubian Regency Council
It would seem that it would be best to ignore immediate the myraid immediate successors for the greater stability of joining you.

From Myraid Immediate Successors
Lies! Nubia shall be free!

From Kush
Come to what? We totally expected you stinking northerners to mettle. Support the Severi, they said, weaken Kush, they said. All they weakened is themselves.
And now you? What are you going to do, attack us through the civil war in Nubia?
We will consider, our response will come later.

From Nubian Regency Council
It would seem that it would be best to ignore immediate the myraid immediate successors for the greater stability of joining you.

From Myraid Immediate Successors
Lies! Nubia shall be free!

From Kush
Come to what? We totally expected you stinking northerners to mettle. Support the Severi, they said, weaken Kush, they said. All they weakened is themselves.
And now you? What are you going to do, attack us through the civil war in Nubia?
We will consider, our response will come later.
to the Regency Council of Nubia
Once you officially accept the God-King as King of Nubia stabilizing your territory would become his most important thing.

to Myriad Successors:
Are you insane enough to begin a war with the God-King? The gods have given him kingship over all that he sees! You dare deny the gods?!

to Kush:
We know nothing of any support Nubia gave to anyone. We know of one thing. Nubia was in alliance with the God-King when Kush was stupid enough to invade. Now the armies of Egypt are at the side of Nubia, will you continue to speak against us? Yes we will come through the Nubian civil war, for the civil war is nothing and the God-King will smith all who oppose him.
Other than that, the God-king have commanded me that I have demanded too much from the weakling Kuhorsehockye kingdom. You will pay 3 economy points for the damage caused and 1 economy point per turn as tribute to the empire. If the tribute does not arrive we will consider it a declaration of war.

Hope to see the flag minigame soon, and I will be sending out diplomacy shortly.

To: Hyderabad
We bid you welcome to the Khand political scene, what can we do for you?
We would also like to offer you a deal; become our protectorate, and we will gift you many things, as we have done the rest of the Khand.

To: Ataka Confederacy
If only you accept us as overlords, all the wonders of Daksina are yours.

OOC: Score calculations tomorrow.

THE EXALTED PACT

The Exalted Nations of Parusha, Danae, and Viria commit to not attack each other, either directly or indirectly, for the span of fifty years.

The Exalted Nations agree to lower the tariffs on the Holy Rivers, and build roads to support each other.

The Exalted Nations agree to unite in the common defense of the Zargotite Passes from the Medean Menace, if only for that case, until the Menace is defeated once and for all, and that even if war comes any and all expeditionary forces stall stand firm at the Pass.

"So he needs your navy to do his bidding, he even offered a price, something we both know he did not have to do."

Portan laughed aloud.

The Egyptian looked miffed, those were serious words, bordering on a threat, "What are we laughing about?"

"You are too used to dealing with Egyptians," and Portan shook his head, "You don't seem to understand. In the League we only deal in Gold, we don't accept payment in promises or threats."

"But the God King could crush you like bugs."

"Maybe so, but there's that difference I was laughing at. In Egypt maybe the people or nations care that he can. The armies of the League may well lack the numbers or strength of your armies, but your soldiers fight for another man's glory, not their own."

Another man's glory? "What are you talking about?"

"I do not mean to offend. Perhaps you don't understand, I know that the sailing arts are not well understood here, but boats are made of wood and wood burns. I happen to have met the Administrator, I know the soldiers in his army. They would burn the fleet in the harbor before someone else could capture the ships. The men of the League have but two things to be won from them in a war, their freedom or their lives. If it comes to it, I am fairly sure they would rather part with their lives."

The Egyptian shakes his head, "What a strange people you are."

"Strange? No. We are just a simple people. We do business. You want to hire the navy and we will hire out the navy. But it is still our navy and we have every right to use it as we see fit. You want me to hand it all over to you without knowing if you plan to run every ship aground or put the fleet into needlessly dangerous situations."

"We have already agreed to compensate you for losses."

"Promises are promises and gold is gold, in the League we never accept the former in lieu of the latter. 5 gold is a cheap price to arrange an ambush against the mightiest fleet in the world."

"Why would I lie to you?"

Portan thought of the question for a moment before mentally filing it as a token of a bad liar, "Why indeed. We are an agreeable people and we have no problem with cooperation characterized with mutual respect. But you cannot threaten us."

"Do you not know fear?"

"Fear," Portan tells the man, "Is the mind killer, the little death that brings total obliteration. We know of it and we respect it's power. But we do not bow. In the League we bow only in our Temples, and we do not fear the judgement of our Gods."

The Egyptian man shook his head, wondering for a moment if such people were even worth doing business with. Part of him wishes that they hadn't been so willing to allow the Egyptian people to use their fleet, who knows what matter of trouble they will cause. "Why did the Administrator send a smartass who does not care for God Kings to be his ambassador to Thebes?"

"Of the men of the League, The Administrator sent the one with the least capacity for sarcasm and the most capacity for tolerating your monarch."

"So he needs your navy to do his bidding, he even offered a price, something we both know he did not have to do."

Portan laughed aloud.

The Egyptian looked miffed, those were serious words, bordering on a threat, "What are we laughing about?"

"You are too used to dealing with Egyptians," and Portan shook his head, "You don't seem to understand. In the League we only deal in Gold, we don't accept payment in promises or threats."

"But the God King could crush you like bugs."

"Maybe so, but there's that difference I was laughing at. In Egypt maybe the people or nations care that he can. The armies of the League may well lack the numbers or strength of your armies, but your soldiers fight for another man's glory, not their own."

Another man's glory? "What are you talking about?"

"I do not mean to offend. Perhaps you don't understand, I know that the sailing arts are not well understood here, but boats are made of wood and wood burns. I happen to have met the Administrator, I know the soldiers in his army. They would burn the fleet in the harbor before someone else could capture the ships. The men of the League have but two things to be won from them in a war, their freedom or their lives. If it comes to it, I am fairly sure they would rather part with their lives."

The Egyptian shakes his head, "What a strange people you are."

"Strange? No. We are just a simple people. We do business. You want to hire the navy and we will hire out the navy. But it is still our navy and we have every right to use it as we see fit. You want me to hand it all over to you without knowing if you plan to run every ship aground or put the fleet into needlessly dangerous situations."

"We have already agreed to compensate you for losses."

"Promises are promises and gold is gold, in the League we never accept the former in lieu of the latter. 5 gold is a cheap price to arrange an ambush against the mightiest fleet in the world."

"Why would I lie to you?"

Portan thought of the question for a moment before mentally filing it as a token of a bad liar, "Why indeed. We are an agreeable people and we have no problem with cooperation characterized with mutual respect. But you cannot threaten us."

"Do you not know fear?"

"Fear," Portan tells the man, "Is the mind killer, the little death that brings total obliteration. We know of it and we respect it's power. But we do not bow. In the League we bow only in our Temples, and we do not fear the judgement of our Gods."

The Egyptian man shook his head, wondering for a moment if such people were even worth doing business with. Part of him wishes that they hadn't been so willing to allow the Egyptian people to use their fleet, who knows what matter of trouble they will cause. "Why did the Administrator send a smartass who does not care for God Kings to be his ambassador to Thebes?"

"Of the men of the League, The Administrator sent the one with the least capacity for sarcasm and the most capacity for tolerating your monarch."
"tolerate? I am not understanding something. Do you have faith in your gods? If your gods have commanded you to do something, will you not do it?"

"And so we will now have a theological seminar, my friend? We are two men of pure faith who come from different traditions. My friend I've seen Kitabalists and Tarkazai murder each other over smaller differences than we possess," the Ambassador smiled to see the confused look on the Egyptian's face. The sudden and unexpected tactic shift.

He continued, "Besides, we have business to attend to. The League is not a nation of religious scholars, we are a nation of merchants. How many ships will your God King require this season? The Administrator has signaled that he would be uncomfortable leasing out more than 60 of our curraghs. I imagine this will affect the offered price and I am prepared to negotiate."

"Mundo is my God, I am a Priest mind you. My faith in Mundo preserves me from fear of his Judgement. When Mundo judges me he will do so fairly, and I will accept it."

Tother was laughing, uncontrollably. The vizier thought he might lose his air. "Osiris. I thank you for blessing me with such laughter. Bast I thank you for the happiness".
"My King?" the vizier wondered if all was well.
"All is well my Narmer. So the league will give me use of their fleet only if the payment equals the use. I guess my last offer was not as high as I thought. Strange. For such a price I could build my own navy, nearly the size of theirs. You say they would not care for the competition anyway. Free man…" Tother have again outburst with laughter. A nearby priest of Osiris, busy with his duty, also cackled.
"I do not understand my king, why would you laugh?"
"The Levantines believe they are free men. How little do they know, I believed they are wiser than that." Tother begun to reply, "You have neglected your temple lessons apparently my vizier of the sea." The vizier blushed a little. He was being made fun of, by the God-king of all! Tother continued, "The Gods have created a world, and within it they created a cosmic order. We are all but dust and sand to the great gods, they choose who will rise and who will fall. I am the King of Egypt, chosen of Osiris to be his image upon the Earth. Within me lies the essence of Osiris. Yet I know that if I do not worship my god, he will desert me, and I will be but a shell. Those Levantines think they are free, yet like everyone else, they are but puppets of the gods, doing what the gods wish they would do, being given better lives if they worship correctly and losing if they fail to appease the gods. It is wise not to fear the gods, not to fear them if you worship them correctly."
The vizier felt a bit ashamed. This was all basic theology. Every child studies this in the schools and temples.

The King called him to come closer with his hand. Would he be punished for such stupidity? "Do not worry my vizier. Apparently 5 would only suffice for light use of their navy. They are more expensive than I first thought. Yet I do need a navy. Go and tell them I would like to use their navy to only explore the great sea of Thloyrn and reach the capital of the Sardican Empire. That is all." The vizier left and went to speak to the ambassador.

to Levantine League:
The God-king will pay 5 points and in return he wishes only to explore Thloyrn and reach the capital of The Sardican Empire. Is that fair? The number of ships you will use for the exploration is your own concern, 60 sounds decent for the mission required.

To: Egypt

Agreed.

-

Portan searched for hours for a decrepit enough neighborhood, the slaves, the poor. Thebes was a rich and mighty city, but even here there were known to be people confined to poverty and servitude.

"The power of the king is robbed from the people," he said to himself when he finally found such a place.

But when he arrived he set to work at once. Going out among the children, those who would live to see their monarch die in any event Portan whispered to them, "Did you know that even God Kings bleed?"

Tyranny is a great and might dragon, it stands astride nations and it roars it's insults from shore to mountain. And Portan knew that many men would always chose to resign themselves to fate.

Fate is especially appealing if it justifies your decadence and your thefts.

But in Tyre by now Portan would have run into eighteen assassins, thirty pickpockets and a hundred artisans or, as the others would call them "marks." There is no destiny in Tyre and no Gods provide food or wealth, all that is to be had in Tyre is what a man can get for himself. Portan excelled at that.

And it struck him as strange to be in such a land, where men of flesh claimed to be divine and each fool believed that the strings of destiny were responsible for their troubles or advantages. So he whispered to the children, "Did you know that even God Kings bleed?"

Tyranny may be a great and mighty Dragon, but it stands so tall only as long as everyone else is asleep.

An Egyptian child would answer
"Yes. The God-king is human." and if he is poor, and probably criminaly he will add "That's a stupid question."

OOC: It's just a culture thing, In the League we prefer grandiose unrealistic ideas to grandiose unrealistic titles.
Well. In Egypt uniting the Empire and becoming the most powerful king in the world, grants you the title God-King, since you are blessed by the gods... It doesn't make you a god... My people are smarter than you seem to think...

Maybe I should write some story about my religion with a special piece for what God-king means...

Of course there are poor people. So the Gods decide. Does the league have no poor people?

Perhaps they are smarter than I think.

Of course the League has poor people, it is a land of men ruled by men. I don't mean to say that eliminating poverty is a realistic policy to pursue here and now. I only mean that you would think that if the Gods blessed someone in battle that they would also bless them in governance.

I mean, an Administrator can be forgiven for not solving the problems of poverty, he's doing what he can, cut the poor man a break. Can a God King really claim that he has no capacity to call forth the blessings of the heavens upon his people? Or does Osiris only arrive when there are men to be threatened and murdered?

Perhaps they are smarter than I think.

Of course the League has poor people, it is a land of men ruled by men. I don't mean to say that eliminating poverty is a realistic policy to pursue here and now. I only mean that you would think that if the Gods blessed someone in battle that they would also bless them in governance.

I mean, an Administrator can be forgiven for not solving the problems of poverty, he's doing what he can, cut the poor man a break. Can a God King really claim that he has no capacity to call forth the blessings of the heavens upon his people? Or does Osiris only arrive when there are men to be threatened and murdered?
Osiris doesn't arrive. He blesses the Nile to bring food to the kingdom. It is not the King's fault if people are poor, he isn't here to change things, but to do the bidding of the gods. Those who are poor will always be poor, since that is their life. The Gods have everyone do their part of this world.

Thought "poor" is a strange word in Egypt. If you are poor, you are most likely a farmer, so you aren't hungry... just very unimportant. What do you consider poor? The King's don't leave men just jobless in the street... Lacking a job means you can go work on Temples or in the ever expanding farmlands.

THIS IS TO SAY

For the sake of military actions and diplomacy of Levea, one year has passed since the forces of Hyak has broken into the valley of Etass. In this year, they have finished rudimentary siege works and secured their supply line, while Etassian Hurrians from the north have gathered on the northern bank of the river. Meanwhile, Hyakkid Hurrians advance with Hyakkid aid against Etassian supports in Hurria, south of the Heavenly Mountains's lowest passes.

EDIT: It also means that if diplomacy takes too much more time, Etass will auto-fall to Hyakkid forces before any diplomatic results can be solidified.

Top Bottom