TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Spoiler Previous Diplomacy :
To: Exalted King Edgaur of the Heavenly Kingdom of Etass

The four chariots bear down upon your Kingdom, Exalted One. I am Sarrukan, son of Naran, son of Baragan, Third High King of the Second Dynasty of Hyak. Takarzi is my master, my Empire is his weapon. My grandfather toppled Aramya that was and sent the Sirians fleeing into the west. My father forged these victories into the new supreme power of Levea. I carry on the legacy of these great men by bringing war to the Kingdom of Heaven itself, which stands in such gross affront to Takarzi by dedicating its crown to the coupling of Kabitz and Tannu, and not to the true King of the Gods.

I present you now with a choice, usurper of Heaven. Pledge your city and kingdom to Takarzi, and your loyalty to Hyak, and your affront will be forgiven. You shall be elevated to the position of a King of the Realm. Know this, Exalted One. The lineages of Laren of Ortun, Khurzel of Alamhadat, and Hazerel of Merion all pledged their allegiance to me, and have become more powerful under my aegis than they had ever dreamed before. They are mighty kings in their own lands, and mightier still within the unity of the High Kingdom.

You are free to learn the names of the men who foolishly stood against me, for they are forgotten, meaningless and lost under the crushing weight of history.

From Exalted King Edguar, via a small group of Forman mercenaries

To High King Sarrukan-sar's forces outside Etass

We come from the king. We are willing to discuss peace. What are your terms exactly? What benefits are there for living under Tarias? If we can convince our people your god is mightier, Etass's transition into Hyak domain is can be acceptable.

We await your word.

To: Exalted King Edguar, Master of the Heavenly Kingdom of Etass

Should you recognize Takarzi as the Master of Heaven and pledge your allegiance to the High-Kingdom of Hyak, we shall have peace. You will continue to reign as the King of Etass, which shall become a component Kingdom of Hyak, much like the Kings of Ortun, Merion and Alamhadat before you.

Under the rule of Hyak, the sword of Takarzi, trade will continue to flow through your lands. Roads and ports will connect you to the greater world, and the armies of Hyak will fight to the death to maintain the integrity of these lands. My doctrine is simple, and may be seen engraved in stone across the High-Kingdom.

Takarzi, the Bloody-Handed God of War, Reigns from the Throne of Heaven.

Hyak is His Instrument, the High-King is His Avatar.

Takarzi Shall Protect Those who do not seek War, from the merchant to the farmer to the artist.

Takarzi Shall Destroy Those who seek to Usurp His Throne or the Throne of His Avatar.

From Exalted King Edguar, via a group of Forman mercenaries

To Sarrukan-sar's forces outside Etass

Those aren't very precise. Will all our taxes be ours? We would like to keep soldiers for regional defense and policing. Will Etass have a demesne which we can control domestic affairs, immigration and trade? We rather preferred our isolation, so in any peace agreement we'd need the ability to control the merchants which pass into Etass.

What is your attitude to these (and any other) issues of control?

To: Exalted King Edguar, Master of the Heavenly Kingdom of Etass

You shall possess domestic autonomy over the realm of Etass, answering only to the High-King. There, you shall be the master of your kingdom, the upholder of the law, and granted full administrative powers, so long as your actions do not conflict with the Hyakkid Doctrine. Thus, you may prohibit entry to your kingdom, should you have a legitimate region to do so. I can tell you on good faith that you need not expect masses of Hyakkid settlers inundating your lands, as your Aramyan ancestors once did to the lands of Hyak long below even Zargash-sar had risen to power.

You are free to maintain your own army, as all other Kings under my shield do. This army is not required to fight on my offensive campaigns, although doing so will win you favour in the eyes of Takarzi, and by extension high regard in the eyes of the King. One part in five of your taxation revenues will be tithed to the High-King, the remainder shall be yours to spend as you see fit. This taxation includes toll revenues from trade in your land, although the High-King shall require you to lower tariffs should they severely impede trade through your Kingdom.

Such is my covenant with all Kings who have pledged themselves as my allies.

OOC: I was really stuck between Brave Hearting it or role playing properly.

From Exalted King Edguar via a group of Forman mercenaries

To Sarrukan-sar, Avatar of Takarzi

Although our priests could never diplomatically submit heaven to a man, the Exaltation of Etass shall admit itself into your empire. There are two points of negotiation, however, and because our men are still strong, we wish to discuss openly the points of territory and revenue.

Etass proposes the current Etassian de facto territory remain, and for Hyak to relinquish the envisionaries, their villages, military etc. back to Etass. (Basically the areas which are predominately orange on the map shall become the realm of Etass, and those which orange has only seeped into will be relinquished to you)

Etass accepts the 1/5 income tribute, however, as you shall be defender of Etass, we expect all future military expenditures (the EP upkeep) will be paid for by Hyak. Furthermore, we'd like your first action, to demonstrate good will to the fair Kitabalist (a term we use not to diminish the prowess of Tarias) people of Etass, to be reparations for the 2 EP monetary sinkhole this conflict has caused. This should also act to begin trade among our regions, and prevent your perceived worry of Etass becoming a major impediment to commerce.

To: Exalted King Edguar, King of Etass

Such shall be the lands over which you shall reign forevermore. Your envisionaries and allies may migrate freely into your lands as you see fit. As you will be granted the freedom and funds to govern your own kingdom, you will pay for your own military should you choose to keep one. It may participate in foreign campaigns or remain at home for defense, whichever you desire. Alternatively, you may integrate yourself more fully into the High-Kingdom by increasing your tithes, so that Hyak leads your army directly and you need not provide for their upkeep at all. There is not middle ground in this matter- either fund your own army with your own coffers, or incorporate your army into that of Hyak so that we may ensure your protection directly.

What damage has been done by this war will be recompensed with far more investment than your requested sum, in the form of new roads, walls, ports, and the repair of the cities themselves, so that both Etass and the High Kingdom will be enriched. Together, we will drive north to the trading seas, and Etass will emerge greater than ever before, as the northern gateway of the greatest empire Levea has yet seen.

From Edguar

To Sarrukan-sar

The northern gateway shall be the domain of Etass. We are admitting ourselves into your empire with the express condition of major amounts of autonomy. As our protector, we shall submit a tithe, and we promise active participation in the wars for Tarias. Within Etass Tarias can officially be elevated to the status of the highest god. However we neither require nor desire investment here. We shall build the roads, the walls, the ports, and so forth ourselves, as any other agreement would fundamentally contradict the autonomy your doctrine.

Traders may pass and do business within the Etassian borders provided above, but the government of Etass will determine how the roads are built and so forth. If the High King desires expediting the construction, he can entrust funds to us, and we can guarantee their use on further roads. Why would any people not want trade? However the administration of such projects and the lands they occupy will be dominantly Etassian.

We await further negotiation.

To: King Edguar, Master of the Heavenly Kingdom of Etass

Your requests are beginning to tire me, Edguar. You may accept what I have offered you, or you may reject it. I believe I have made my offers sufficiently clear. Nothing stops you from influencing the northern trade routes, just as traders from Ortun and Bablae have spread across Hyak and beyond. However, over these routes you will not wield sole authority.

You may accept my offer as it is, with all that it contains. You will rule your own lands as I have designated. You may commence these construction projectss on your own, should you so desire. Everything else I have promised will be upheld as written. Your enthusiasm to fight and willingness to recognize Takarzi's rightful position are noted with approval, but you would do well to not push my limits in the midst of these negotiations. If my terms are unacceptable to you, then you are at liberty to fight me. I desire to create a new ally from a strong and respected rival, not a to subsidize an uncooperative kingdom within my own borders.

OOC: You've been very vague by Etassian standards. Could you draw up a basic treaty? We need points which are specific; more than "wield sole authority", so for example in the trade routes if you want some authority you should say that you want to have the right to station soldiers, or send settlers or what have you.

From Exalted King Edguar
To Sarrukan-sar

Negotiations are tiring. The first to sleep loses. We expect a great conqueror to understand the lengthiness of treaty processes. If Sarrukan-sar is willing speak once more before Edguar admits his kingdom into your empire, be it a response to this question.

What are your terms precisely? You haven't been as clear as the legal minded people of Etass would comprehend. Please engrave them in a clay tablet that future kings may adhere to these conditions.
A Great Conqueror is unlikely to dedicate so much of his time to securing a cooperative solution as have I.

As you wish, I have collected our correspondences, and summarized them as such. Now, King of Etass, make your choice. Join me, or fight me.

On the Entry of the Kingdom of Etass into the High-Kingdom of Hyak

King Edguar of Etass will pledge his allegiance, and the allegiance of his Kingdom, to Sarrukan-sar, High-King of Hyak, Avatar of Takarzi. He shall continue to reign with full domestic autonomy in Etass, as do the Kings of Ortun, Merion and Alamhadat. The King of Etass is free to establish laws, dispense justice, control transportation and trade, and defend his realm as he sees fit.

The King of Etass will recognize Takarzi as the Master of Heaven and King of the Gods, but his people may continue to worship Kabitz and Tannu, or any other gods as they wish, unmolested.

Hyak will protect its realm of Etass with force of arms, just as it defends all of its constituents.

Etassians will be free to travel throughout the lands of the High-King, unless this transport is limited by the laws of the Kings of Ortun, Merion and Alamhadat.

Etass will tithe one fifth of its income from taxation to the High-Kingdom of Hyak.

Etass may either maintain its own private army, or integrate its army fully into that of Hyak, so that Hyak directly controls the Etassian army, and Etass needs to pay for none of the army’s maintenance.

Hyak will dedicate 2 EP to the King of Etass, for his use in reconstructing areas of Etass damaged by recent warfare.

Etass’ borders shall be established as such:

Within these lands, the Etassian King’s laws are supreme.

Hyak will allow envisionaries and Etassian allies to migrate freely into Etass.

OOC: Thanks for playing along.

From Exalted King Edguar

To High King Sarrukan-sar

Draw thy sword.

I challenge Lord_Iggy, player of Hyak, to a mini-update.

Non-Miniupdate nations will defend/counter attack as normal without special plans.

Question: is this to indicate that not all PC nations should send mini-update orders?

EDIT: Terrance, I have noticed you inserted one of my dictatorial ramblings into your sig. <3

OOC: No. If you are invaded you will defend adequately, and I will allow some leeway in your full update-orderset for a counteroffensive.

Should I expect to be invaded? :p

If I tell you, it would be yes. If I don't, seeing your actions so far, it would still be yes.

But the answer is NO, you should NOT expect to be invaded. :mischief:

Anyway, sorry Lord Iggy, he has minimal internet access as of late, but he did send in miniupdate orders which will be interpreted in such a way as his previous orders were. So don't worry! This will be fun.

Got my orders in at this point, we are going to bring the rain down on all the NPC's around us.

Sorry about that Terrance, not much going on anyways with my orders.

Update 12.5: These Are Not the Spoilers You Are Looking For
Note: I will be using real numbers, with the actual numbers of units in parenthesis.

GREAT WAR OF LEVEAN SUPREMACY
-BATTLE FOR ETASS-
Hyakkid Forces: 1000 Qarabu Kalbanatu (2), 2500 Spearmen (3), 1500 (3)
Archers, 20 Curraghs, 5 Ox Chariots, 3000 Hurrian Auxilaries (3)
Etassian Forces: 60 Ox Chariots (3), 1500 Spearmen (2), 1000 Archers (2), 500 Highlanders (1), 8 Curraghs, 5000 Hurrian (5)Auxilaries

With the rejection of the treaty Edguar demanded Sarrukan to draft up, siege preparations continued unabated. He begun trying to work the few magnates of Etass and Hurria to abandon Edguar, and although he has scattered success, inevitably such plots ended with the mysterious murders of the plotters.

In addition, scattered reports are coming in about Viria and Parsha redirecting their forces to assault the kingdoms of Ortun and Merion. Added to the difficulties in convincing the Etassian Hurrian Chiefs to risk assassination to join him, he has few additional reinforcements available for the assault.

Nonetheless, the current business must be completed. Takarzi&#8217;s Hand will strike a harsh blow upon Etass and their pretensions, and win the day.

Meanwhile, in Etass itself and across Hurria, Envisionaries command that all should be trained in the arts of war. Production goes into overdrive as thousands of spears with tiny bronze points are made to arm the people. Due to their high confidence and culture, the people rally, most disturbingly behind Hyakkite lines and in Etass itself.

13 Months have passed since the setting of the siege. Sarrukan-Sar nods. Thousands of soldiers climb out of the siegeworks with trenches, rams, and a rudimentary siege tower and headed towards the walls of Etass. The city, weakened by hunger and infighting, or so they hoped, would be ripe for the picking.

This charge was met by a screening force of Ox Chariots, who quickly swept his left flank of the loose formations before being repelled by his veteran spearmen. On the right the ladders rose onto the walls, headed by brave Qurabu blessed by Takarzi, and those who survived the hail of arrows begun immediately to clear the walls with their massive, unstoppable axes.

In the center the great Siege Tower rumbled. Built like a giant chariot, its bottom is adorned with three rams and shields covered its internal scaffolding. Flaming arrows are met with wet sand as it rumbles towards the gates.

The gates are rammed open even as Qurabu from the tower swarm the gatehouse. With the dispersing of a Hurrian counter attack with their own Hurrians, stiffened with a battalion of spearmen, the walls are broken.

The armies of Etass quickly marched away from the city, leaving a few choice defenders to carry on the fight. The Etassian Militia fought the good fight, but folded against the stoic soldiers of Hyak causing the rest to flee to fight another day. Etass has fallen.

Hyak: -1 Qurabu -1 Spearmen -3 Hurrians: Total Losses: 4500 men
Etass: -1 Archer -1 Spearmen -2 Hurrians: Total Losses: 3500 men

-CAMPAIGNS OF HURRIA-

With Etass conquered, Sarrukan-Sar moved south to pacify Hurria from the north. With his Murat army striking southward as the King Durmas of Alamhadt led reinforcements northward, the remaining Hurrians were defeated in detail, often by their Takarzi-Hurrian neighbors. The envisionaries continued to rouse the rabble, but one by one they were slain and their heads tossed into the river to be cleansed. Hurria has been conquered.

Hyak: -2 Spearmen -1 Ox Chariot

-ETASSIAN RESISTANCE-

However, back at Etass things went less smoothly.

The common people summarily rejected the Hyaks, rallying around King Edguar and his men to rule instead of the &#8220;barbarians&#8221;. Edguar&#8217;s men still manned forts, placed traps in the Murat river to prevent passage, gathered more men and taxes and harassed Hyakkite soldiers with the support of the people. Interstingly though, Edguar begun to take an almost divine loyalty from the Etassians. One day, Edguar is seen both clearing a fort of Hyakkite Loyalists and hunting down a Hyakkite-Hurrian patrol. Another, he is seen at the opposite sides of the country making speeches and rallying the villagers. Yet they all are Edguar, his long hair, his regal expression, and his melodious, almost Levantine, voice are repeated again and again.

The mountainous countryside is extremely hostile, and however accustomed the Hyaks are to fighting in hilly ground, nothing compares to the mountains of Hyak, or the mountain men there. Eventually, to reduce casualties, they stopped chasing stories of Edguar leading this attack or making that speech, simply defending the necessary routes to bring food to their Etassian garrison and waiting until a more conciliatory monarch could reign.

Even now, they wait for the death of Edguar, who by all rights should be over a hundred years old.

While Etass loss its position as the center of trade, decentralized Edguarite villages grew in its place, still trading the ores of Etass for exotic items to the north, east and west such as amber, pitch, and a few rare swords made with strange silvery metal as strong as bronze, which is said to come from a mystical place called Khand&#8230;

NOW I WILL REVERT TO THE STYLE I SHOULD BE USING, BUT I FORGOT TO!

With heavy fighting, Parusha and Viria limited the Kingdom of Ortun to Ortun itself. The ancient Ortunite walls have stood yet again, this time against the Aramyans.
Hyak: -2 Archers

The combined armies of Viria and Danae managed to force the Medean horsemen in close combat. There, it was found that two horsemen form a team, with one guiding two horses and wielding a spear, the other a bow. After destroying their main horde and ignoring the small bands to be taken care of by garrisons, they hurried to stop the pass. There, Danae and Viria was to sortie against an attacking Horde, but Danae refused and the Axumite mercenaries attacked the Virians from behind, slaughtering the Virian army.
Axum-2 Spearmen +Experience

Using their funds and the lack of a mobile army in Viria, they avoided breaking the Exalted Pact by simply bribing the lands to join Danae. Viria is now extremely vulnerable.

To the north, Armorica took initiative and scared several islands into submission off the coast of Brittania, and then discovered a larger island further to the west.

In the Wesfrenkish lands, all the contenders of the Pro-Armorican King Davinsa died mysteriously over several years. Now that he has regained control over his country, he is preparing to launch a final offensive against the wild Frenks.

In Vascony, a small but potent chiefdom was established with Armoican aid. It begun denouncing those who converted to the Faith almost immediately and built a small but stong army of archers, invaluable in the mountainous terrain of their homeland.

At Vahshallah, goaded by the ruthless Chariots of the south and the new Prophet of the Iron Lances, Omar the bloody, they begun a ruthless expansionistic attack on all their neighbors, using Faithful members within the tribes to make them vulnerable to their demands, and erasing those who resisted from existence. It was successful, perhaps, but also forced many tribes in the south to choose-and some choose the invaders.

In addition to losses from resistance, they also lost nearly two thousand men in battle with the charioteers south of Spire.

Vahshallah=-4 Spearmen +2 XP

OTHER EVENTS TO BE DETAILED LATER
Ctesiphod falls apart into the City of Ctesiphod, Republic of Apulia, and Republic of Mencura.

Republic of Mencura is attacked by Illyrians fleeing the Charioteers.

A Faithful horde appears on the Rhine, fleeing from the Charioteers.

Makedonia is annexed into Katan.

Dorians receive their northern friends under attack from the Charioteers. They are preparing to form a horde and enter Makeodnia.

DAMN, I lost progress on my map.

Anyway, I won't bother with NPC spending; I will just assume they will replace losses and do it like that. You can still fight wars outside of the miniupdate, but they won't happen until 25 years in. Unless you are going Alexander, however, it won't change that much.

Spoiler :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Welcome the new ruler of the Nesfrenks! Chief Ingervix is reporting for duty. It would be nice if people could recap what the NPC ruler had in regards to diplomacy with everyone.A brief rundown of the Faith would also be welcome.

Hmmm, I have a distinct hate of chariots.

Termination will ensue shortly.

The Lances hate being made a fool out of. (My spearmen, not the Iron Lances.)

To: Hurrian Chiefs Loyal to the High-King of Hyak

Your loyalty and faith in Takarzi are rewarded. Over the lands of the Hurrians, you shall become Lords of the Realm, governing these lands in the name of the High King. I shall see to it that your fields are protected at home, and that your warriors&#8217; access to war and plunder continues unabated.

To: Exaltates of Viria and Parusha

What an unexpected surprise to see your armies visiting the Bastion of Ortun. I eagerly await to hear your account of how they came to arrive at this interesting situation.

To: Medes

Greetings, war-men of the east. I am Sarrukan-sar, High-King of Hyak, Avatar of the Bloody-Handed War God Takarzi. What fateful winds draw you into Levea?

To: Khurtali-bel

You have served me admirably throughout the course of the War in Heaven. Over the lands that were once Etass, you shall now reign as a Lord of Hyak. Govern well these lands in my name, dear brother.

From Hurrian Chiefs Loyal to the High-King of Hyak
We will always fight in the name of the Takarzi and his Avatar!

From Exaltates of Viria and Parusha
Easily.

From Medes
We number more than the blades of grass, which are no longer enough support our roaming. We've come to take these great fields of grain, and take them for ourselves, and use them forever more!

From Khurtali-bel
All hail Sarrukan-sar and his generosity!

To: Exaltates of Viria and Parusha

Amusing! Do tell.

Top Bottom