Civ5 free to play this weekend on Steam, 75% off to purchase (offer expired)

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator

In anticipation of the upcoming expansion Gods & Kings, Valve has announced the following:
Kick off the weekend by playing Civilization V for FREE starting now until Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time.

You can also pickup the entire Civilization V franchise this weekend only at 75% off the regular price! Sale ends Monday, May 28th at 10AM Pacific Time.

So if you haven't tried the game, now's a great chance to while away the weekend getting in as many hours as possible before the sale ends!

Many thanks for CoolLizy for bringing this to our attention by posting about it here.

Ok, so, Civ3 out of the box was bad, but at least playable after the Conquests Expansion...

Then Rhye's of Civilization Expanded Random Map 1.23 came out and made that version of civ a great game with that particular mod...

Civ 4 is crap, always has been and there is no expansion or mod that makes it more than crap...

So when Civ5 was announced, I was very excited initially and then I realized the above and decided I would not buy Civ5 - and boy am I glad now that I didn't waste a cent on that crap now I've actually played two games of it for free...it's absolutely horrible...

I wouldn't pay a penny for this crap. Never...

It's free and I don't want to play it. It's 75% off and I will not buy it. Any of it, least of all the DLC...

My message to Firaxis and Sid in particular is that if Sid does not get off his ass and take the reigns form these <snip> designers that have screwed up the game since Civ3 and actually design the next version of this game and make it at least a half-way decent game to play again, I will never pay a penny for another of your products and will do everything within my power to ensure that no one else does so either.

Moderator Action: Please do not use inappropriate language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

My message to Firaxis and Sid in particular is that if Sid does not get off his ass and take the reigns form these <snip> designers that have screwed up the game since Civ3 and actually design the next version of this game and make it at least a half-way decent game to play again, I will never pay a penny for another of your products and will do everything within my power to ensure that no one else does so either.

He did take the reigns. The results were Civilization Revolution and CivWorld. I can't say I really have anything against those games, but I'm curious as to whether or not that's the direction you want the series to take.

And really, regardless of your thoughts on Civ3 and Civ4 I still think the game deserves a try while its free. You never know; despite its faults it may be different enough that you end up liking it.

He did take the reigns. The results were Civilization Revolution and CivWorld. I can't say I really have anything against those games, but I'm curious as to whether or not that's the direction you want the series to take.

And really, regardless of your thoughts on Civ3 and Civ4 I still think the game deserves a try while its free. You never know; despite its faults it may be different enough that you end up liking it.
I'd forgotten about the Civ Revolution and CivWorld things, mainly because I've never played either, but from what I do recall of Revolution, no...

Civ5 is the most boring and annoying version of Civ I've played to date. It's not worth the price of free. I guess I'll just revise that to I'll never be buying the game again.

Ok, so, Civ3 out of the box was bad, but at least playable after the Conquests Expansion...

Then Rhye's of Civilization Expanded Random Map 1.23 came out and made that version of civ a great game with that particular mod...

Civ 4 is crap, always has been and there is no expansion or mod that makes it more than crap...

So when Civ5 was announced, I was very excited initially and then I realized the above and decided I would not buy Civ5 - and boy am I glad now that I didn't waste a cent on that crap now I've actually played two games of it for free...it's absolutely horrible...

It's free and I don't want to play it. It's 75% off and I will not buy it. Any of it, least of all the DLC...

Moderator Action: Please do not use inappropriate language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You lost all credibility at the point where you made the negative comment about Civ4.

Take a deep breath and relax.

For those of us who aren't in-the-loop on Civ5, is the new expansion going to include all the current DLC? IIRC the GoTY Edition only includes some of the DLC, not all of it. For that matter, will the expansion contain all the GOTY Edition content - if so it makes more sense to just buy the base game.

I probably will try out the free weekend, but if I like it enough I have to know which of the 24,718 editions to buy! It's not like with Civ3 and Civ4 where the was only 1 choice!

"Always" meaning "one day", since you were just posting one day before that you're through with Civ3 and are ready to move on.

I think you would be better off lighting a candle than cursing the darkness. Learn how to program Python (it's a great first language for non-programmers), look at some of the mods out there, and start making Civ4 the game you want it to be. It will be a lot of work but you will eventually get the game you want and learn a lot of skills worth real money getting there.

I personally think Civ4 is a lot better than Civ3 because it's so much more customizable. Pretty much everything can be modded and there's some really great mods out that that just aren't possible with Civ 3, like the beautiful PerfectWorld map script.

Back to the topic: I already played around with the Civ V demo and the only way I was able to get a decent frame rate on my Core i5-2430M/Intel 3000 graphics card was by using the DirectX 9 version and having pretty much everything at the lowest settings. I'll probably pick it up in a few years once it runs well on non-gaming laptops and when a DRM-free standalone version comes out. [1]

- Sam

[1] I hate piracy and I hate DRM.

For those of us who aren't in-the-loop on Civ5, is the new expansion going to include all the current DLC?

No. The only DLC included in Gods & Kings will be Spain, and they're part of a two-Civ pack with the Inca. If you want the DLC, now's the time to buy.

IIRC the GoTY Edition only includes some of the DLC, not all of it.

It doesn't contain the Korea DLC or Wonders of the World DLC packs. It's the better deal to pick up the GoTY Edition and them add those two DLC packs on.

For that matter, will the expansion contain all the GOTY Edition content - if so it makes more sense to just buy the base game.

As noted before, the expansion will not contain any of the DLC in the GoTY edition (other than Spain, which is only part of a DLC pack).

I probably will try out the free weekend, but if I like it enough I have to know which of the 24,718 editions to buy! It's not like with Civ3 and Civ4 where the was only 1 choice!

To be fair, Civ III and Civ IV both had limited editions when they first came out. :p (Speaking of which, I still have my Civ III tin case.) :D

I'd forgotten about the Civ Revolution and CivWorld things, mainly because I've never played either, but from what I do recall of Revolution, no...

Then you probably don't want Sid taking the reigns. :)

I tried the Civ5 demo some months ago, that you can download and play for free. I was not impressed.

It's so dumbed down, I felt like I was playing Settlers IV. In my opinion, these free demos are pretty good at showing gamers how the game is. For instance, I still remember ages ago, when I first tried the demo of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It was an instant hit with me. Played the demo over and over and over again, till I got the full game.

With Civ5 demo, I played it once and uninstalled it afterwards. *sigh* why did they ruin the game? :sad:

So I still play Civ BTS. A hell of game.

Despite all the negative press on the gameplay in Civ5, I'd gladly buy it if it were available for PURCHASE instead of RENTAL. (AKA, DRM-free.) When's that version coming out, Firaxis?

man, you always see the flame from people that didn't want a civ5 and really just wanted another XP for civ4 (or in the earlier case civ3 even).

Civ5 is a different game. Personally, I liked civ1-4. I played the hell out of them. But each one has something the other doesn't. civ4 was great but after playing civ5 with city-states 9my favorite part) I just cant go back to the civ4 world of only major AIs - and I reall loved civ4.

G&K bringing religion andespionage - both sounding more intersting than civ4's take. seems promising.

for those looking to play for free think of it as a differnt game don't be looking for an XP for Civ#-whatever. it is a different game.

"Always" meaning "one day", since you were just posting one day before that you're through with Civ3 and are ready to move on.
As I said in that thread, I found a mod that made Civ3 playable, but now I'm tired of it and am ready to move on - in this case to Civ4, though if there were a better game I'd choose that. That doesn't make Civ4 a good game - it still sucks. I'm searching for a mod or combination of mods that will make the game play well for me. The only reason to move on to Civ4 is it's superior mod-ability and the fact that I've grown too accustomed to and tired of Rhye's of Civilization Expanded Random Mod for Civ3 (actually a modification of that mod that I created) - otherwise I'd still be playing that, as it's a better game than default Civ4 (BtS).

When I grow tired of the mod I make and play of civ4, I'll pick up the Complete edition of Civ5 and do the same thing there, making that version playable (and so on and so forth until I die or they stop making Civ or a better version of the game comes out, like say Call to Power 3 or something entirely different). By then Civ6 will have been put out and there will be a free play weekend of that game and I'll make a post about how much Civ6 sucks...
See you then! :lol:

That's firstly because that page is rather out of date, and secondly because it's not one of the 'new' civs, but is additional to them. Because Ed Beach wanted to include Spain in the 'Into the Renaissance' scenario, they were added to the base game as well. G&K doesn't include the Inca, though.

Civ 4 is actually better than Civ 3 though...

I have CivRev, and I actually do enjoy that game when I can't access my computer to play Civ 4. I agree that CivWorld is crap, I played it on Facebook and its ending up collecting cybernetic dust.
CivRev is enjoyable because there is no unholy maintenance system, so you literally have no limits on what you build. That what makes Rev cool, but the maps are minuscule. and there are barely no land to play on.

Top Bottom