TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

They're terribly large.

When's the next update?

I concur with LOE. Terrance, are you on NESchat?

Exalted Mariners

His pack strung from his shoulder down to his hip, Jasbinder, after years of travel across the vacant and dangerous Moserean and Royal routes, had found a place of peace. The walls of Doussa were under hasty construction, and Jasbinder spotted an opening in the town guarded seriously by four Aramyan soldiers. Walking closer with vigour, he slapped the ground with the base of his sandals; he overtook bystanders with his smile; he dismantled the walls with his brows; most skilfully of all: he swiftly defeated the guards with his deep and reverberating voice.

Jasbinder easily persuaded his entrance into the collection of shacks called Doussa. He’d been following the river in hope of seeing the sea once again; the last time he’d witnessed an ocean was from a hill to the east, overlooking the sea of Mazand. The last time before that was between Danae and Dakinsa, the latter the homeland of his he’d lost in the vainglorious adventure west.

He’d gotten himself caught up in the invasions of Aramya when his crew evacuated his merchant ship in Danae, on the day the Medeans passed the city walls. Since then he hadn’t floated on a boat more complex than a log and oars. Usually he didn’t have oars. That suited Jasbinder fine, as he used boats to float down stream mostly.

How did he survive the brutalities of barbarian encroachments? He loved telling his stories of adventure to those who’d listen (usually across a camp fire and a good beer, which he’d grown found of since his permanent exile in Levea), of the time he convinced a Medean warlord he was in fact a barbarian himself (who just loved dressing himself in the fancy clothes of the ‘civilized’ peoples), or the time he avoided being looted by Hurrian rebels, explaining how he was going to meet with the exalted king himself (whoever that was).

More than anything, Jasbinder wanted to reach the sea again. He was reaching the twilight of his life, had never had a family, and wanted one joy: that of the sea captain.

Inspecting the forgotten port of Doussa, Jasbinder found in himself doubt he’d pull together an expedition across the sea which the river flowed into. The locals called the sea ‘hell’. Jasbinder found this fitting, as he’d never thought he’d go to heaven, after trying to bluff his way out of a Hyak raid. He’d found himself forced into a slight slaughter of sorts, which is how he‘d describe the incident if he were telling it over a camp fire, which he never did for this story.

The past was indeed the past. And the future sat there in salty goodness, still as air. With the money he’d scrapped away from Hurrians he had pretended to ‘tax’, Jasbinder offered to rent the dusty room of one of the locals. They offered him to stay unconditionally.

So Jasbinder schemed his next move. Who should he schmooze? Who should he stalk? There was this new exalted king which he might convince; but kings were hard to find and talk to. He’d need a point of entry. He lay on the clay floor of his small room, crossing his legs and placing his arm over the sweat beads which had formed on his head from the insulated heat that had accumulated within the boxed confines he called his home for the time being.

Merchants. Surely of all men, merchants could convince the king to meet with Jasbinder the Well Travelled, Jasbinder the Pathfinder, Jasbinder the Great Con.

Jasbinder would tell them of his experience at sea, and negotiate for an expedition into the Fallen Ocean. Which of the merchants should he tell? The answer came to him when the curraghs the Exalted King Quram had sent to Varna arrived in the dilapidated harbour. As Jasbinder carelessly walked right up to the men which offloaded from the curraghs, he smoothed his greasy hair and said quietly:
“I, yet more, see here.”​

And yet more did the merchants see. So thoroughly convinced were the merchants which accompanied the king’s diplomats to Varna, that they convinced the diplomats to allow Jasbinder a meeting with the king.

The king wasn’t busy, Quram was at that moment watching the construction of the walls of Doussa vigilantly. He picked up a shovel and started digging himself to inspire speed.

Jasbinder bowed slightly at the presence of a king; though Quram never felt himself of such high prestige, after all, he ruled a shambling forest of shacks. Quram’s interest rose.

“I’ve come from a far away sea to explore the waters which sit beside us.” Proclaimed Jasbinder with soft and consoling control. Thinking quickly, Quram seized his chance carefully.

“We might consider a fleet to the west to meet the Katanic people. Friendly, unfriendly, traders, warriors; I need someone to find out… perhaps…”

“Exactly those Katanic people do I wish to seek out for trade,” Jasbinder improvised, “the ideas of their lands will come back to here, and Doussa could become the gem of the Fallen Sea.”

Coyly, the venerable king said, “You’ve convinced me. I’ll provide you a royal fleet to explore the west. Come back and we’ll have even more ships at your command, and more resources to provide for future journeys.” Jasbinder couldn’t help himself from his own smile. He’d convinced a king to give him a fleet in two sentences, his best persuasion he’d ever done.

The creeping doubt of some unknown catch only began climbing into Jasbinder’s mind after he’d set to the west. And so, the Exalted Mariners were created, to explore, to trade, to make contact.

That doubt fermented in Jasbinder’s mind up until he met his first Katanics --

Emperor Tokugawa:

Japanese Epic:

Chapter 34, part 21:

Tokugawa was a young man who was still not used in the art of war, when his father died. Suddenly, a 18 year old teen had became leader of the Greatest Empire in the World. Japan then was, as i said in the last chapter, in war. All Japanese tribes had united against the Japanese Empire. The goal of that alliance was to stop the unification of Japan.

As i said Tokugawa was a young man. When his father died, he was training in the arts of war. A servant came near him.

- My Lord, My Lord.

- Calm down. What is happening?

- Your...Your...Your father is dead!

- What?!

- Run in the palace to be crowned, or your brother will take the throne.

- I've got to hurry!!

So young Tokugawa runs to the palace. When he is ready to enter the palace, a young beautiful woman stops him.

- What do you want girl?

- I want you to come with me.

- Where?

- To the Sun God.

[ That part of the book was lost]

Chapter 34, part 43:

And so Tokugawa became Emperor of Japan. The people shouted '' All hail the Emperor of Japan!!! All hail the Son of the God!!!! All hail Tokugawa!!!!!!!!!! All hail the Emperor!!!!''. And so a new age for the Empire begun.

An introduction ...

King Worros I of the Wesfrenks sat upon his oaken throne, surrounded by warmongers and cravens.

One could hardly call it a throne, in fact. It was a meager chair, compared at least to the thrones of the Armoricans or the Ostavans. It was a small chair, but larger than the rest in the spartan hall, with a large back and inlaid with the runes preached so vehemently at him by the Druids and priestesses of his following.

His elbow ached where he had taken a blown weeks earlier. 'Not a good sign,' he was told, 'It might've broken,' they said. But he ignored the pain and pressed on.

"Yes, and I'm certain you have the right of it, master Thran, but I need my men here,"

Worros pounded his thick finger down on a river ford on the map.

"Defending the crossing at Loiraine."

Thran looked disheartened for a moment.

"But, my lord-"

"If the Ostavans do take the north, as you suggest they might, I can easily send our Curragh to harass them along the Loire, and cut their supply lines. They'll be helpless but to fall back, or starve."

Thran was a big man, burnt by the sun, and with a thick black beard that went down to his toes.

"Yes, my lordKing Worros. I'll have the men assemble to march before the sun crosses the fourth hourline."

The warriors and warlords shuffled from the Hall that served as the heart of the camp. In truth, it was the meadhall of the Sufrenkish warlord Halfrex, but he had graciously given them entry to his home and town as their own.

"There is wisdom in your plan, that much is obvious."

Wendell, a smaller man. A Duomen whom he had met during his campaigns in eastern Armorica.

"However the words spoken by masters Thran and One-eye should not fall on deaf ears. Neither the words of our gracious host Lord Halfrex, lest a bad taste is left in his town by your leave. We've matters to consider beyond the warfare your men do so seem to enjoy."

Worros rubbed his elbow pitifully.

"Yes, you're right, Wendell," he said begrudgingly.

"But I just can't spare my men for an affair the Armoricans started, have borne the brunt of, and do not as yet directly concern my kingdom. My father never let the Armoricans' words sway him too greatly where he did not want, and he died of the drinking at the old age of 40."

Wendell inclined his head. "All I meant was-"

"I know what you meant, Wendell. I also know my soldiery, and my self."

Apparently, by the looks of it, Ostava and the Western section of the Faith are fighting heavily with the fleeing Frenks... If that is the case, we shall stand by the Faithful and our allies in the west. The Teufel shall turn westward and eliminate those that shall stand against the Faith.

You know what, Edit.

There is literally a Teufel going on, the Unsullied of Armorica beat the faithful and the Iron Lances back to the Rhone. Or so I believe from the update?

I should also note that the soldiers stationed near Loiraine (a town I will label upon mein map) are to stop any Nesfrenks from migrating into my land. I gathered from the update that we (Gem Hound and the Wesfrenks) had fought the battles.

Officially, the forces of Armorica and of Wesfrenks never fought the forces of Ostava and the Iron Lances. It was the Sufrenks that did the migrating and killing, with the Wesfrenks settling behind them and the Armoricans conquering more land from them.

It was a grim time in Axum. The nation expected victory, but not easy victory. This war would be difficult to say the least. As the North Nile was closed, many trading companies sold out for cheap. The military bought them up, as they needed every ship they could get their hands on. Fortions were lost in seconds as companies worth tons of gold crumbled and collapsed. The smarter merchants had seen the crisis coming from a mile away and sold their Nile assets before Nile Asset became synonymous with lost fortune. But buisness never falls. The trading companies changed to privateering enterprises, hunting Egyptian shipping. Those who sold valuable goods for the war were rich quick and in the vacant storehouses of Nile Companies, armories sprung up. Another buisness was also expected to boom. A grim buisness:

Taye was the undertaker in the city of Addis Ababa. His job was a sad one, but an important one. The many communities that made up Axum had many ways of paying respect to the dead. Spiritual Ethiopeans often burried their ancestors in ancient tradition and came to graves of the dead for gidence. Axumite merchant families made lofty graves, where a merchants prized riches were burried with him to serve him. Sometimes, trading ships were named for deceased owners. Saharan mercenaries had their own, unique traditions of burial, related to the great desert in which they lived. Some tribes also had rituals for their beloved camels, constant companions in life and in death. Other folk had widely varried ways of honoring their dead. Many chose to do the ritual on their own, as they felt it should be apart from the otherwise comercialized life of the Axumites. Some burried in traditions of countries from which they came, as far as Mesopotamia and Egypt. Though many Egyptians had now tooken non Egyptian names, to avoid the uncertanty of the war. The war was everywhere. It was a war that would be won or lost under the walls of Kush and a war that will bring many more dead. Many were quietly confident in victory, investing in war bonds to finance the war effort, but all knew that many would perish before the banner of trade is flown over Thebes.

minigame 4

OOC: My minipdate orders are acceptable, right?

Top Bottom