Game balance and AI

Talin, could you please post the savegame you speak of that has way too much gold? I would like to test a couple things with it, but I can't find any old games that still have lots of gold after doing a modifier recalc.

Here it is. Warning - before loading turn low your graphics settings so you won't get MAF immediately.

p.p.s. Buildings walls in capital has very good reason and purpose - to build Grove (+GP, health, culture) later.

Walls leads to many useful structures and I'm not saying it shouldn't be built at all, just that nothing useful it's needed for comes before construction, which enables a wonder taht will give you free walls in every city. So building it unless you've lost the race to that wonder is a waste.

Here it is. Warning - before loading turn low your graphics settings so you won't get MAF immediately.

I can't open that save, you have your C2C folder named "Caveman to Cosmos v20" or something. Does anyone know how I could get the game to load correctly, besides making another copy of C2C?

@ls612,
Talin needs to let you know what build he is using. Vanilla v24 or an SVN version to start.

And on the walls and capital discussion, my capital is one city away from my border with a cutoff AI who desperately wants out. He did get one city to the north of my Capital settled (I have 1 intervening city in between it and my Capital) but I quickly surrounded it. It currently has 30+units sitting in 3 stacks in that cities 9 base tiles waiting for the "Go" order. So yeah who needs walls, or towers. Perfectly good waste of 1 gold, make that 2 gold with the tower. Since I have 25 cities now and just researched Construction. Don't know if I got construction 1st anyway as I was trying to get one of the New Religion founding techs when the screenies was taken. The AI that wants out has 15 cities. And the 2 other Civs with at least 20 cities each both want OB's so they can bring in settlers to the crook in the Y of my Empires land shape. That's not gonna happen either.

JosEPh

I can't open that save, you have your C2C folder named "Caveman to Cosmos v20" or something. Does anyone know how I could get the game to load correctly, besides making another copy of C2C?

Start a command prompt. Cd to your mods folder. Type the following:

Code:
Mk ink /J "caveman to cosmos v20" "caveman2cosmos"

(assuming your folder is 'cabeman2cosmos'). This creates a directory join (a kind of alias) so that the content of 'caveman2cosmos' also appears under 'caveman to cosmos v20'. There is only one real copy though, so if you modify it in either it will change in both - it just provides a synonym in naming terms for file paths.

I have about a dozen aliases like this because of all the variety of names peope use and send me save games for.

Also, to avoid having to reload when you specify the save to load you can change the mod name in your INI file before launching bts.

Start a command prompt. Cd to your mods folder. Type the following:

Code:
Mk ink /J "caveman to cosmos v20" "caveman2cosmos"

(assuming your folder is 'cabeman2cosmos'). This creates a directory join (a kind of alias) so that the content of 'caveman2cosmos' also appears under 'caveman to cosmos v20'. There is only one real copy though, so if you modify it in either it will change in both - it just provides a synonym in naming terms for file paths.

I have about a dozen aliases like this because of all the variety of names peope use and send me save games for.

Also, to avoid having to reload when you specify the save to load you can change the mod name in your INI file before launching bts.

Thanks! I knew there was a way to do it, but I couldn't rememer what it was.

Edit: My command prompt is telling me that Mk is not a valid internal or external command. :(

Edit: My command prompt is telling me that Mk is not a valid internal or external command. :(

or just rename your c2c dir to Caveman2Cosmos V20 - my apologies, i forgot about folder names :)

Playing new game with SVN from 13.07 (patricianism/slave fix). Game is much, much more balanced now. Just researched guilds and i have now +250 gold (20k total) instead of +3000 at same stage i had in previous game.

I donno if it's because of new balance or fact that i started on small continent with no AI's. Made some contacts later but i managed to keep that continent and surrounding islands for myself. Have now 34 cities with AI's 30 30 29 21 21 18 18 17.

AI also develop alot better - there are currently 3 leading AIs and me at approx. same score, and few others are not that far. I havent met some other AI yet tho -
[edit] - Latest game announcement said there are 2 largest Unknown civilizations =).

One thing about AI behavior - they tend to develop ALL religion founding techs (with limited religions on), which are dead ends. Code regarding it needs to be tweaked so once they founded religion they ignore those techs.

One thing about AI behavior - they tend to develop ALL religion founding techs (with limited religions on), which are dead ends. Code regarding it needs to be tweaked so once they founded religion they ignore those techs.

Koshling is aware of this and is going to be fixing this issue.

Koshling is aware of this and is going to be fixing this issue.

I could use a convenient save game where you know some AIs dont yet have such a tech (but are close enough to consider it)

I can't type. Should have said mklink ...

Wait, I spoke too soon. The command prompt says a link was created, but the game throws an error saying that /Caveman2Cosmos v20 is an invalid mod folder. I'm sorry to keep bothering you about this issue.

Wait, I spoke too soon. The command prompt says a link was created, but the game throws an error saying that /Caveman2Cosmos v20 is an invalid mod folder. I'm sorry to keep bothering you about this issue.

Is it there and looking ok when you view it in explorer?

Also the leading '/' in that error message is highly suspicious if that is accurate. What does it say in your INI file?

Is it there and looking ok when you view it in explorer?

Also the leading '/' in that error message is highly suspicious if that is accurate. What does it say in your INI file?

The INI has it as "Mod = Mods\Caveman2Cosmos". Changing it manually there and in Explorer to Caveman2Cosmos v20 makes it work OK, but that is a pain to do repeatedly.

A pic of the error is attached. Sorry for making the slash go the wrong way. :rolleyes:

The INI has it as "Mod = Mods\Caveman2Cosmos". Changing it manually there and in Explorer to Caveman2Cosmos v20 makes it work OK, but that is a pain to do repeatedly.

A pic of the error is attached. Sorry for making the slash go the wrong way. :rolleyes:

So if you have not chnaged it in your INI how were you loading it? Just saying 'yes' to the 'restart with this mod' question when you try to load it? If so then I'd gues it's a game engine bug with not coping with a trailing '\', which I presume got there due to being in the INI of whoever sourced the save.

So if you have not chnaged it in your INI how were you loading it? Just saying 'yes' to the 'restart with this mod' question when you try to load it? If so then I'd gues it's a game engine bug with not coping with a trailing '\', which I presume got there due to being in the INI of whoever sourced the save.

I just said 'yes' to the restart prompt. How do you do it to make it work? Also, what is the error message saying is being ignored?

Top Bottom