[Religion and Revolution]: Bugs and Todos

Hey guys, great work on this mod. I've got a reproducible (I think) CTD error.
Load the save file, go to Concepcion de la Vega, take the colonist and change him to a pioneer. When leaving the city screen I get the CTD. It seems be this way only with the Colonist, not with the expert cannon maker.

Anyway, so far I'm really enjoying this game. I will try to keep the ambition to report any bugs I find. I found some graphical bugs didn't bother to report and got some CTD's I but didn't investigate (I'm sorry :blush:). But I think you guys really deserve the feedback.

EDIT: Well now I got the same CTD with the expert cannon maker so I will check some older save files cause I don't think I can remember that I put those tools needed to equip the pioneer in the city.

EDIT: Seems it has nothing to do with the tools, just exiting the colonist without converting caused the CTD. I will investigate further.

EDIT: I can avert the CTD by exiting the prospector from the city first (this unit was added to the city the same turn right before I saved), and then exiting another unit. After that I can do whatever I want.

Attachments

• Crash AD-1523-September.ColonizationSave
    258.5 KB · Views: 58
@velosepappe:

Thanks for reporting. :thumbsup:

I can reproduce the CTD with your save.

You don't need to further investigate.
I will generate a Debug-DLL to find the bug.

Might take a little to fix this however.
(I am already pretty tired today.)

Eventually we will further collect things like this for one or two weeks and then bring out a Release 1.1. :dunno:

I found two graphical glitches with the hunter profession.

First is in the use profession screen, it shows the correct amount of fur but not the correct amount of food associated (3 fur and 6 food) while the real yield is 3 fur and 1 food. I think the 'choose a profession' window shows the max amount of food it can attain (which is on a farmed plot in the 2nd image behind the window for the colonist yield).
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0001.JPG

2nd one is minor. I dont know why it happened but the info tab in the city screen for the resource collected (fur) reported the hunter twice. It didn't happen when I allocated it to the silver. The appropriate amount of resources are collected regardless of what the tab says so there are no gameplay implications.
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Mscibor, let me guess. Your OS uses a Latin-2 character set... Definitely not a Latin-1 one
You cannot really fix it unfortunately :(

2 main problems:
The game doesn't support UNICODE (actually it doesn't support any non-ascii characters AFAIK)
Civ IV automatically detects and uses your OS' character set for XML files :/

Fonts directly on the map (in the city name on your first pic) will be good for all Latin-1 characters, as it's handled in the gamefont files
But otherwise the fonts which are different in the Latin-1 and Latin-2 character sets - for example char 224, char 232, etc - will be displayed wrong, no matter what you do :(
At least I didn't find a solution yet...
I changed language, localization and anything related in my OS to English, but this didn't help. I just realized, that Polish version of Civ4 is actualy original English version with additional Polish patch which has to be installed separately. I think that the same situation is with Civ4Col (I don't remember exactly, I installed this game long time ago). During Polish patch installation font sylfaen.ttf is replaced. My guess is that maybe this font is responsible? When I will get beck my CD with game I will try to reinstall game without Polish patch.

Thanks for feedback :)

I got another CTD, see the attached save file. If I try to settle the fur trader to the north of Jamestown I get the CTD

Attachments

• Crash 2 AD-1532.ColonizationSave
    240.3 KB · Views: 55
I changed language, localization and anything related in my OS to English, but this didn't help. I just realized, that Polish version of Civ4 is actualy original English version with additional Polish patch which has to be installed separately. I think that the same situation is with Civ4Col (I don't remember exactly, I installed this game long time ago). During Polish patch installation font sylfaen.ttf is replaced. My guess is that maybe this font is responsible? When I will get beck my CD with game I will try to reinstall game without Polish patch.

Thanks for feedback :)

I'm absolutely sure it's possible to use Latin-1 char set with an english OS and english Civ IV
But make sure that the OS is already Latin-1 when you reinstall civ.
It might make a difference even during installing? Not sure about this, but some of the civ IV fonts may depend on that

@velosepappe:

Just asking to be sure about it:
Did you make changes to the mod on your own ? :think:

I have heavy problems when trying to debug your first savegame with the CTD.
(It simply does not work currently ...)

Edit:

The small display bugs you have reported are all fixed. :thumbsup:

However, I have massive problems with the CTD bugs (your savegames).
I cannot reproduce them with fresh games I start and trying to debug your saves does not work. :dunno:

I didn't change anything to the mod, so unfortunately I dont think I can help. I ran into the same kind of bug in the same game again but I didnt report. If you want to take a look at it just ask.

Are these CTDs reproducable with a savegame ?

No. I can load a save and continue playing until next CTD occurs.

Well, I have to admit, that the mod is known to not play well on old operating systems and old computers.
(It is probably related to the huge amount of graphics and additional logic in our Mod.)

Surely, but it is still quite strange, since the game works fine on large map scale and with high graphic details. Until it crashes, of course. Changing graphics details and map scale does not help.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I think it is a quite good reason to look for a new machine. But firstly, I have to finish my master's thesis. New computer with perfectly working Col Rel&Rev would not be so helpful :)

I've found a bug...
I got a python exception in MainInterface screen.
I cannot enter cityscreen while a colony is in rebellion. I had just captured a colony (and when you capture a foreign colony there is a 5 turn rebellion). See what happens.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0736.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0736.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 154
I've found a bug...

@Robert:
Could you check please ? :thumbsup:

I am currently busy with other bugs (reported by velosepappe).
Also I cannot work on the mod before the weekend again and even at the weekend only a few hours.

@team and velosepappe:

I have stopped trying to analyse the bugs reported here and here.

I have tried to debug the savegames with Relase 1 and debug dll generated from sources of Release 1.

It simply does not work. :(
I only get told about an exception in the .exe and that it cannot show me the sourcecode.
(I have never seen this before ... :confused:)

Also I have tried to reproduce the bugs by doing exactly the same as I can see in the saves with a new game with Release 1.
I simply cannot reproduce the bugs with a new game ... :dunno:

I can reproduce the CTDs with the saves however.
(Without debugging working or being able to reproduce with own games, I simply don't know where to search.)

Hello everyone, I get a CTD when I try to open R&R. I have TAC 2.03 final installed and it works fine. If after I try to load R&R and it fails then I load TAC 2.03 final after a few minutes I get a funny sound. If I then ctrl-alt-delete there is an Error window "Initialize Renderer failed. CHeck, Directx, Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings Parameters
- width = 1024
- height = 768
-flas = 0xc
hwnd = 0x140d2
adaptrid = 0
-deviceid = 1

Error:

If I kill this then I get a message that Colonization did not install properly and did I want to exit??

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Since I don't know what you did, I am just guessing. :dunno:

1. Did you clean caches before starting Religion and Revolution ?

2. Did you install Religion and Revolution into a separate directory ?
(It is no addon that should be installed above TAC. It is a separate mod.)

Please tell me the complete path to the /Assets folder of the mod.

Hi there - Enjoying the mod immensely but I've got a CTD that I can't get past. Simply move the scout (or don't move him) and end the turn. Then CTD. :cry:

I'm attaching both the python error log and the saved game file.

Hope I can get this fixed as I rather like the map.

...but I've got a CTD that I can't get past.
I'm attaching both the python error log and the saved game file.

I will be gone until Friday, but I will try to find the time to check the save at the coming weekend. :thumbsup:

I will be gone until Friday, but I will try to find the time to check the save at the coming weekend. :thumbsup:

Thanks - Most of the crashes seem to generate that python error log. I'm not sure if it's of any value to you guys. Usually if it crashes, I can just restart with no probs. Just not in this particular case.

I found some other bugs over the few days I played (didn't bother to save the game upon reaching the bugs but maybe I am able to recover some... if you ask nicely :p)

Upon conquering an English city I recieved the message that I should buy the land that was previously part of the Cherokee. Problem is that I allready accepted the message of not razing the city, and had no other option of stealing the land because I did not have enough money to buy it. Initially stealing did not change the Cherokees opinion, but after a few similar captures I did get a high negative relations modifier so it did have an impact but it was not clear how it happened.
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0005.JPG
EDIT: The King asked me to declare war on the English, I asked for some military units in return. A Man-o-War, an artillery unit and a hessian might be overpowered (maybe not the Hessian, but certainly the other two). There is no other naval unit that can attack a MoW with decent chances and artillery just tears through any early settlement.
END EDIT

I found that when trying to navigate the cities using the arrows on top of the city screen is sometimes hard to do, now that this bar also displays information on how many items are inside the city. Short citynames generally don't form problems, but larger city names means that it is hard to click the arrow.

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

I ran into a bug where the amount of an item was negative, here it was wood, which meant that I was not able to build the item unless I paid a huge sum of money or restocked on wood. This can probably avoided by checking for negative values, which should be impossible unless we implement short selling ;).
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

There are also some graphical glitches when using diplomacy.
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

A peculiar bug (or at least I think it is): I found an AI player suddenly gaining huge amounts of currency in a very short period, in the order of several 10k each turn. I have no idea why this happened, and left the game shortly thereafter.
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0011.JPG

This one is from my current game. I approached the English only city well into the game. They seemed to be stuck and I was not able make any contact with them. After a some turns I suddenly made contact and now they seem to play as normal.
EDIT: Look at the list of contacted players, Mr. Washington is not included!
END EDIT
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

EDIT: No images for this one, but I believe it applies generally. When trading with a native, if you click the 'I can't accept this' button the trading table is cleared. But if you successfully barter (accept the native leader to reduce the price) and then refuse ('I can't accept this'), your cash is removed from the table but the items belonging to the natives is not. You are still able to accept the deal which means that you get the natives items for free! Please tell me this is not a bug and is intended. I really want to believe that the natives are that gullible!
END EDIT

I don't know if I have an appropriate save for all these bugs, blame it on my own laziness and on being in the flow of the game (damn it is adictive! ), but if you want savegames on a particular bug I will try to do my best to find a good save. BTW don't fret on not being able to solve my previous bugs (CTD when exiting a particular colonist). I didn't run into it in my most recent games so chances are its a pretty rare one.

One remark: it seems that resources like silver, gold and gems (and pearls) have a very low priority for the AI while they can be real cash cows (mined gold node + prospector = 320 gold per turn :king:). It should be a priority to establish a settlement for the AI too whereas I have been able to grab a gold resource right next to the first settlement of an AI player. They just seemed not interested and did not make any attempt to capture the settlement afterwards. It would be nice to get some resource wars.

Also why is silver so easy to find, but is there only one, maybe two but often no gold, gems or pearls resources to be found in even a huge map?
When playing gigantic there are often resources located in large clusters of mountains, which are inaccessible... I understand you don't want us to be able to found on peaks, but they are so tempting! Not that it makes any difference for if they are there or not, but it's like dangling a carrot in front of a mule just out of reach.

Anyway I hope you found this feedback usefull.

I found that when trying to navigate the cities using the arrows on top of the city screen is sometimes hard to do, now that this bar also displays information on how many items are inside the city. Short citynames generally don't form problems, but larger city names means that it is hard to click the arrow.

Yeah, this was annoying me too already.
I will try to fix. :thumbsup:

I ran into a bug where the amount of an item was negative, ...

Found and fixed that bug. :thumbsup:

There are also some graphical glitches when using diplomacy.

Never seen that. :dunno:
Also don't know what I could do about it.

I found an AI player suddenly gaining huge amounts of currency in a very short period, ...

Probably no bug.
(Maybe that player simply sold some treasures after acquiring a Dock.)

This one is from my current game. I approached the English only city well into the game. They seemed to be stuck and I was not able make any contact with them. After a some turns I suddenly made contact and now they seem to play as normal.
EDIT: Look at the list of contacted players, Mr. Washington is not included!

No idea what went wrong. :dunno:

When trading with a native, if you click the 'I can't accept this' button the trading table is cleared. But if you successfully barter (accept the native leader to reduce the price) and then refuse ('I can't accept this'), your cash is removed from the table but the items belonging to the natives is not.

Simply don't cheat. ;)
But I will try to fix.

Also why is silver so easy to find, but is there only one, maybe two but often no gold, gems or pearls resources to be found in even a huge map?

It is purposely balanced that way.

Anyway I hope you found this feedback usefull.

Thank you. :thumbsup:
I will try to find the time to fix the bugs.

Top Bottom