Beneath the Jade Moon (pre-NES)

1) No.
2) Probably. I will have more time to fully reread and sketch out ideas after I finish my long long long long long long long long long long long long long long (that's 14 weekends) over due update.

EDIT: I changed Atymon's tongue to Atymon's Nostril.

Thanks, you two. Most players, including yourselves, put geographical details into their proposals. I'm mostly struggling with those who did not. I don't want to name something and have it be so far from what people imagined. Names, for me, should either have something to do with lore (i.e., I will often use ancestor or history information from houses; but I don't want to just throw those names around, so I only use them when somehow relevant), or should inadvertently describe the feature, whether through literal or ironic means. I also enjoy creating names that could potentially have a rich story behind them, but not necessarily clear-cut and explained from the get-go (and could be explained via an aside in a major arc during our NES). The point is, I don't much care for random names that have nothing to do with the features themselves. Additionally, names that are in English or are amalgamations of English words can be assumed to be in English for our benefit (just as our dialogue and stories will be), but are presumably in one of our realm's older dialects.

Geo map thus far (updated to most recent):
Spoiler :

I'm so sorry! I'm just swamped with theses and work this month! :(

I'm going to make an effort to detail some more of the western coastline. As I mentioned some months prior, my initial thought was to have the coastal lands near the Tyne Delta the original homelands of the Dyres and their retainers and allies, lands which were confiscated before the migration of the ex-rebels into the mountains.

The most major house there now would probably be an ex-mercantile family elevated to the nobility and granted the coastlands for their financial support and loans made to the Emperor during the civil war, along with a leftover crop of dispossessed and demoted (and consequently somewhat resentful) small lords in coastal fortresses up and down the coast, as well as some (far more loyal) cadet branches of the mercantile house.

I was considering putting a major trading port on the Tyne Delta as well, to be the main hold of these hypothetical merchant princes. Obviously they don't care for the Dyres very much.

I'd propose Mariner's Solace for the bay adjoining the delta. Or the Bay of Solace, whichever you prefer.

Mariner's Solace is cool -- I always like when geographic features don't have their type (e.g. "Bay") in the name.

SO DECREEETH THE EMPEROR.

I'm going to make an effort to detail some more of the western coastline. As I mentioned some months prior, my initial thought was to have the coastal lands near the Tyne Delta the original homelands of the Dyres and their retainers and allies, lands which were confiscated before the migration of the ex-rebels into the mountains.

The most major house there now would probably be an ex-mercantile family elevated to the nobility and granted the coastlands for their financial support and loans made to the Emperor during the civil war, along with a leftover crop of dispossessed and demoted (and consequently somewhat resentful) small lords in coastal fortresses up and down the coast, as well as some (far more loyal) cadet branches of the mercantile house.

I was considering putting a major trading port on the Tyne Delta as well, to be the main hold of these hypothetical merchant princes. Obviously they don't care for the Dyres very much.

I'd propose Mariner's Solace for the bay adjoining the delta. Or the Bay of Solace, whichever you prefer.

This should certainly provide an interesting and varied set of houses/entities throughout. Also, "Mariner's Solace" would be my pick.

North King said:
Mariner's Solace is cool -- I always like when geographic features don't have their type (e.g. "Bay") in the name.

Both extremes can be gimmicky (i.e., everything does not include the type, or everything does) -- based on our conversations about post-modernism, I would think you would understand this most of all (I can see a board meeting: "Yes, but, why did you choose to put 'Bay' in that title? Isn't that redundant?")

Anyway... admittedly, coming up with dozens of names on relatively short notice was not an easy task. :p

Greatly looking forward to reading more info from both of you. I'll be posting some write-ups as well, and I want to have a thread-wide discussion of how much "fantasy" our NES should include. As indicated on #neverending, subtle and minimal is best, yes, but I'd like to get a little bit more specific. We might start that conversation with, 1. the OP (which includes a brief section on magic and mysteries, really just some thoughts I had on my mind at the time) and, 2. something The Strategos said: "If there is anything that history has taught us, it is that for Pre-Enlightenment humans, magic does not actually need to exist for magic to be seen as fundamentally central to their worldview, even in the most 'philosophical' and 'rational' cultures (yes Rome and Greece, I am looking at you). I see no reason for it not to be the same case here."

Magic should be like cocaine.

You know, I'm really growing to hate the word and concept of "magic". But maybe someday there can be a NES with wizards -- they feel strong urges to use magic, even while at work, and after a day of heavy magic use, they become cranky. Might as well be a continuation of Jade Shore, i.e., something better discussed in an IRC chat room than on the NES boards.

Is there a map with all land claims? I may still join somewhere on the outskirts...

Well, we are kind of world-building at this point, so you don't really have to be on the outskirts (unless you want to). I'll be free later this evening, at which point I'll get up a map highlighting some geographical areas with good potential for a house / some more development. There are several areas that would work.

Is there a map with all land claims? I may still join somewhere on the outskirts...

You know, I was going to design an NPC house to be just to my south, as it's a great location, but not really occupied by anyone anymore. It's pretty much on the outskirts as well.

The red is basically my stomping ground, while anywhere in the green would be a great location. You can see it's the frontier, as there is that bit of grey and a tent icon ( representing Esurk territory and tribes) in the bottom of the picture.

Yes, terrance, that'd be great. I might not have time to be on #neverending this evening, but we can figure something out. You can always go in there and talk to bombshoo -- we've had some back and forth ideas about frontier houses.

All right, here is a sort of "claims map" for any newcomers who wish to create a house. Green, numbered areas are the regions I would like more developed.

Keep in mind a few things:

1. These are not borders. Just general areas where I think players are needed.

2. I would prefer it if you fill in areas near other houses / close to North King.

3. Keep in mind that your house is presumably urban, countryside, or a combination of the two. You could choose a tiny geographic area close to North King or somewhere else entirely, and still have a potentially wealthy house.

4. Remember that not all players will begin on equal footing. Don't feel offended -- plenty of interesting things to do with whatever type of family you play as.

5. It is a good idea to either read up on some of the histories / profiles posted, or to hop on one of the IRC chatrooms to see if any players are around. Other players already established in this realm can assist you.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom