TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

According to Erez, we're developmentally in the mid/early 1000s B.C. (1800s by Middle Kingdom Egypt, although its policy are more like the New Kingdom).

Also, the Xila have a calendar. But it is WAY too complex for me to follow as of now. Something to do with 36,000 day cycles or something.

I'd say we are actually around 2000-1800bc, middle kingdom Egypt. (thou remember my whole planning for this is your old calender...). I should cause my collapse soon!

I should cause my collapse soon!

And that's why I love erez87. He knows when something has lived quite long enough and needs change (cough cough Southern King, owner of the last Original State with loads of corruption cough cough).

Of course, feel free to enjoy your mighty powers BEFORE you engineer your own doom!

@ Arrow Gamer
Just start a new one. Say, 0 years into the Bronze Age. Manden peoples passed under the radar at 100, and we are at year 800.

And that's why I love erez87. He knows when something has lived quite long enough and needs change (cough cough Southern King, owner of the last Original State with loads of corruption cough cough).

Of course, feel free to enjoy your mighty powers BEFORE you engineer your own doom!

@ Arrow Gamer
Just start a new one. Say, 0 years into the Bronze Age. Manden peoples passed under the radar at 100, and we are at year 800.
Yeah I first want to cause the collapse of some other empires and kingdoms... At least be the beginning of the end. There are some endless empires now in the levantine and that just won't do ;) I hope I can do some chaos in a single turn :D

The Timeline:
3000 B.C. People started coalescing into small tribes, with trade, war and diplomacy between them.
2950 B.C. Certain tribes start rising to power, notably the Amir, the Marid and the Gahaza tribes. They each contain many smaller states within them that must constantly be catered to. The tribes live mostly in peace, but the Gahaza tribe looks gearing up for war
2943 B.C. Gahaza declares war on both the Marid and Amir tribes. They are thoroughly thrashed, but due to lack of cooperation between the victors, they keep all their land.
2863 B.C. After a century and a half of minor rebellions, the Gahaza tribe falls to religious fanatics, becoming a theocracy with significantly smaller borders. The land not claimed by the fanatics goes to the Marids, making them the dominant power in the region.
2607 B.C. The Marids, tired of their borders, declare war on both of the major tribes. After a bloody war on all three sides, the area is devastated. The area has very few humans left, and the land fractures into hundreds of tribes.
2300 B.C. The number of tribes has dwindled to fewer than 35, and the area is beginning to reassemble.
2100 B.C. To aid trading between the tribes, a simple form of writing has begun to emerge. It is based on pictograms, and is kind of like OTL cuneiform. Tribes have now number 22.
2050 B.C. Coalitions begin to reemerge, with three major ones.
2036 B.C. Diplomacy breaks down between the Arin-led and the Mufhe-led coalitions break down, and war is declared. A new incarnation of the Amir tribe has emerged, and is leading the third, neutral, coalition.
2032 B.C. The war leaves both sides in a state of devastation never seen since the Marid war. Amir takes the opportunity, and quickly annexes both coalitions. It then turns on its own allies, and manages to unify the land after a long fight. The entire area is broken by war, and not muxh happens for a while until the pieces are picked up.
1953 B.C. The monarch is overthrown, and for a while a republic is instituted.
1907 B.C. The rightful monarch’s son restored to the throne after the republic fails miserably and is almost destroyed by the eastern tribes.
Present Day: The monarchy has finally recovered from the war against the eastern hordes, and it is thriving once again. It is made up of a monarch at the top, with nobles below. The nobles combined are very powerful, but very rarely agree on anything. Each noble contains a small are of land, but there are some major ones. The nobles can fight one another, and often do, but if anything gets out of hand, the king steps in. The biggest duchy is the Arin duchy, and his power is unequaled except by the monarch, who still surpasses him by a lot. (Think HRE with no elections, and Austria is Arin, just not the emperor).

Edit: didn't see your post Terrance. I am just going to leave it as is, if that's okay.

According to Erez, we're developmentally in the mid/early 1000s B.C. (1800s by Middle Kingdom Egypt, although its policy are more like the New Kingdom).

Also, the Xila have a calendar. But it is WAY too complex for me to follow as of now. Something to do with 36,000 day cycles or something.

36,500 day cycles. Actually it's relatively simple: 36,500 days is, give or take, 100 years. So, the cycle is a century and years are... well, years. The Jin will probably establish a new calendar based on when they settle down, giving an eastern BC/AD sort of split.

EDIT: Based on when we started (Update 1 commences 2950 BC, so at update 0, it was 3000 BC) and the establishment of 3000 BC as the end of cycle 10/beginning of cycle 11:

Cycle 11: Updates 1 and 2
Cycle 12: Updates 3 and 4
Cycle 13: Updates 5 & 6
Cycle 14: Updates 7 & 8
Cycle 18: Updates 15 and 16.

So update 16 occurs from 50.18 (year fifty, eighteenth cycle/century) to 0.19 (end of eighteenth cycle, beginning of nineteenth).

People of Amir!
We have been strong. We have been strong for thousands of Summers, and we will be strong for thousands more. Our line, the Amir, has been unvroken since time immemorial. Like our line, this nation will never be broken. We stood strong against the Arin and the Mufhe. It is our right to rule the Afrast (the West) and the Ofek (East) and everything in between, and nothing will stop us from our path.

I will be implementing some reforms in the coming years, and they can only make the nation stronger. This year, I will be enhancing the army and sending it to the Ofek. We will subjugate the eastern horeds, for we cannot let them dominate us. We will be victorious, for the priests have foretold it.

Here is an overview of my nation, just to give you an idea:

Name: The Empire of Amir

Political System: Feudal Monarchy (Think HRE with no elections). There are many Sebs, which are the states within the empire, and each Seb is much like a Duchy. The most powerful are the Amir (largest by far, most powerful, live nearest the capital), the Arin in the east (second largest, about 2/3 as powerful as Amir), and the Mufhe in the west (1/3 as powerful as Amir, third largest).

Religion: Based on the gods Afrast (god of the west) and Ofek (god of the east). Afrast is the major good deity, Ofek is evil. Their father, Snaf, was immensely powerful, but died at the hands of his jealous wife. His wife than killed herself, leaving just Afrest and Ofek. There are many other minor gods, and each city has a god or goddess attached to it.
Some notable gods are Defne: Money, Waq: desert, Gafs: war, Reser: farming, Yef: wisdom and Jaky: the sea.

Culture: They have an inherent fear of the East, due to the Hordes, but they are also determined to conquer it. They love trade, and when they come in contact with another nation, they are bound to trade with it. They hate the north, due to the desert, but believe the west to be their friend because of the fact that it is where they are located. Their army is semi-professional, and have month-long training sessions every winter. They are not too restricting when it comes to technology, but the priests often try to resist any change. The Sebs have much power within their own realm, and all of them are often very different from each other. The rulers of each Seb, called Sebste, oftendictate how well educated, how religious, how rich, etc. in each Seb, so progress is pretty dependant on good Sebste, making Amir's progress erratic.

That's all I've got. Feel free to critique as much as you want, I can take it.

Note: My keyboard is messed up, so expect spelling errors.

Oh, almost forgot! 'Now' in game, in our calendar, is 1100 BC.

IRL Rome isn't even founded yet.

EDIT: Going over the thread to find maps, and for the record this is wrong. The wiki front page contains the corret year; that is, 2200 BC.

People of Amir!
We have been strong. We have been strong for thousands of Summers, and we will be strong for thousands more. Our line, the Amir, has been unvroken since time immemorial. Like our line, this nation will never be broken. We stood strong against the Arin and the Mufhe. It is our right to rule the Afrast (the West) and the Ofek (East) and everything in between, and nothing will stop us from our path.

I will be implementing some reforms in the coming years, and they can only make the nation stronger. This year, I will be enhancing the army and sending it to the Ofek. We will subjugate the eastern horeds, for we cannot let them dominate us. We will be victorious, for the priests have foretold it.

Here is an overview of my nation, just to give you an idea:

Name: The Empire of Amir

Political System: Feudal Monarchy (Think HRE with no elections). There are many Sebs, which are the states within the empire, and each Seb is much like a Duchy. The most powerful are the Amir (largest by far, most powerful, live nearest the capital), the Arin in the east (second largest, about 2/3 as powerful as Amir), and the Mufhe in the west (1/3 as powerful as Amir, third largest).

Religion: Based on the gods Afrast (god of the west) and Ofek (god of the east). Afrast is the major good deity, Ofek is evil. Their father, Snaf, was immensely powerful, but died at the hands of his jealous wife. His wife than killed herself, leaving just Afrest and Ofek. There are many other minor gods, and each city has a god or goddess attached to it.
Some notable gods are Defne: Money, Waq: desert, Gafs: war, Reser: farming, Yef: wisdom and Jaky: the sea.

Culture: They have an inherent fear of the East, due to the Hordes, but they are also determined to conquer it. They love trade, and when they come in contact with another nation, they are bound to trade with it. They hate the north, due to the desert, but believe the west to be their friend because of the fact that it is where they are located. Their army is semi-professional, and have month-long training sessions every winter. They are not too restricting when it comes to technology, but the priests often try to resist any change. The Sebs have much power within their own realm, and all of them are often very different from each other. The rulers of each Seb, called Sebste, oftendictate how well educated, how religious, how rich, etc. in each Seb, so progress is pretty dependant on good Sebste, making Amir's progress erratic.

That's all I've got. Feel free to critique as much as you want, I can take it.

Note: My keyboard is messed up, so expect spelling errors.

I may have missed something, but... um, where is Amir? :)

Oh, OK. As the NES' resident (and only) player currently in China, I can now officially say we probably won't have contact for a while. :p

OOC: Seeing as it's Egypt contacting its neighboring superpowers, I'd say anything west of them could be considered the Far West. Probably italy + spain.

OOC: Terrance, just FYI your front page link to update 16 only links to part 1. Minor issue only, of course, but just thought you'd like to know.

Spoiler :
A Map of the "Flight of the Jin" and Relevant Locations

The Yueh River

Long weeks of marching, and months of camping to rest up during autumns, winters, and simply to take a rest, had taken its toll on the morale of the Jin horde of women, children and old men. Four years had passed since the crowd of Yi people had left Xilatang, and constant contact - via the messengers of the small army regiment with them - with the newly established Shangyi state suggested Jin loyalists were by no means welcome back there. No choice was left, but to push on and perhaps one day reach the fabled valley, Zhanggu - or Ulyan as the local nomadic tribes had begun to call the place. Qian had tried to raise morale following the news of the situation 'back home', but it had barely had any effect on the weary crowds. On the first day of the first year of the nineteenth cycle, Qian had decided enough was enough. He'd called a stop at the foot of the mountain range they had just crossed, ignoring the protests from his brother Xin that thay could "march a little more" and that the Yueh river was "so close that a sheep could spit into it from here".

Now, after a long rest, going through the supplies at an alarming rate, they were on the move again. Rations had once more been tightened, but the people were ready to set off.

"Is everything ready?" Qian called to his brother. Xin was by far the more capable administrator, he knew. Qian, more of a battle leader than a book reader, had wisely left organisation of the massive group.

Xin looked up from his conversation with the twenty teenage boys, around fifteen years of age on average - the same as the twins - that he'd cajoled into helping him with his assigned task. He smiled wanly.
"Should be. I've sent Yan to fetch our horses. General Fang is ready to leave, and so is his regiment."
Fang was the leader of the soldiers that had been sent with the group. He was fiercely loyal to the twins, but no bright spark, and had happliy agreed to step down from his position when Qian reached the age of twenty. By that time, the general would be fifty-eight. It was a wise choice.

Lost in thought, it took a while for Qian to register Yan's arrival. The low-born boy - a close friend of Xin's - stood about a metre away, the horses stamping their feet in seeming impatience. Yan held out the reins of Qian's horse to him. Qian smiled. "Thank you, Yan, but you can ride my horse today. I'll walk with the people." It had been a system devised by both the twins, that once a week each, they would walk with the people rather then riding at the front, and answer and ask questions. Both boys had agreed it might help to raise morale, and of all their schemes, it had seemed to do the most.

"Very well. I suppose we should get going, then?"

Yan was right. The group was extremely sluggish, given its average demographic of sixty-year-old women and its tendency to break down in argument every time a boulder had to be skirted around. One thing about Yan, he'd refused to be overawed, and helpfully, that meant he'd just made the correct call.

"Of course, Yan. Thank you. Go on, Xin, lead the way," he said, turning to his older twin brother.

Xin rode off. A couple of minutes later, a horn was sounded. We're off.

---

That had been three weeks ago. Since then, they'd made significant progress, able to hunt and forage as they went and the spring thaw progressed in the fretile valley they found themselves in. Morale had spiralled upwards, and the group were now acting a little more cohesively. And now -

"Water! Water!"

The shout spread through the group like wildfire. Soon, everybody was chanting the same word. "Water!"

The scout, running faster than he'd ever run before, reached Qian, Xin, General Fang and Yan. "Sirs," he said as he bowed deeply. "The Yueh River lies just beyond that ridge."
"Excellent," replied Xin. "And your name is...?"
"Tian, sir."
"Expect extra rations tonight, Tian. Come to my tent when the food is served."

Tian's words proved correct. As the sun began to sink below the horizon and torches were lit, the ridge was crossed, and the forty thousand present all let out a relieved breath, followed shortly afterwards by a ragged cheer. The scene was beautiful, the setting sun reflecting off of the river and the mountains visible to the front and the right, where the river disappeared into their midst.

They'd camp here for a while, but they knew it would be for a short while. Now that the end was in sight, people would be eager to continue the journey.

OOC: Actually, since Minigame 6 isn't officially finished, by a fortuitous twist of fate it appears I have a submission. :D Consider that 'Flight of the Jin' map my entry.

Top Bottom